Bullring Days Two: Bradford Speedway - Cover

Bullring Days Two: Bradford Speedway

Copyright© 2012 by Wes Boyd

Chapter 20

I'll tell you what, the kids were just about ready to start in on the 66 car as soon as we got the 2 back in the shop, and to tell you the truth I was too. But I decided not to push it just then – I was still short a frame for the 66 car, and we wouldn't be able to cobble one together out of two wrecks like we did with the 2. PeeWee was going to have to build it from the ground up out of channel steel, and there were a few other issues. Besides we had other things to do in class, and the 66 car would make a good class project for next year.

I might as well jump away from the thread of the story for a bit to explain that the kids and I put together the 66 car the next winter. The flow of the project went a little differently from the 2 car, partly because we knew from the beginning that we had that brand new Simca V8-60 sitting over in that crate. It wasn't until the following summer that I got PeeWee and Spud to build me the frame, working around their more important stuff, and I had to haul the 2 car down there so PeeWee would have something to take measurements off of and the like. Not surprisingly, he turned out what in many ways was a better frame than the one he'd mingled together out of the 2 and the 53.

For many years I've explained that the 2 is a restoration, but the 66 car is a replica that includes a lot of original parts. The fact that neither one of the engines is anything approaching original really doesn't matter since a race car can go through a lot of engines in its lifetime. The engines not being original doesn't seem to matter to anyone.

Both the engines in the cars are about as stock as stock can be. The only thing that isn't stock is the sweeping exhaust headers that give both of the cars such a wonderful sound – and as it worked out, three of those four long chromed pipes are original; we only had to build the right-side header for the 66. We never messed with putting on restrictor plates either, since the cars weren't built to race. They don't get a lot of running; I've never kept a record, and neither of the cars has an odometer, but I'd be willing to bet that they don't have 5,000 miles on either of them, virtually all at a parade or a parade lap pace. Really, they're not race cars anymore and haven't been since we rebuilt them – they're just show cars now, although somewhat unusual ones. Over the years they've visited the odd car show here and there, and have come away with their own collection of trophies.

But to get back to the story, once the weather warmed up in the spring the Auto Shop II kids, Arlene, and I loaded the 2 car onto a trailer and headed off for a special treat. Since the deal a few years before I wasn't about to have anything to do with the Smoky Kern, Glenn Mansfield, or the Bradford Speedway, so we headed down to the old, long-gone now LaGrange Speedway which I'd arranged to rent for an afternoon. This was a little different than we were used to with an MMSA midget, since it was paved. Over the years back there in the fifties we ran on pavement once in a while and it was always a little shaky since we were used to running on dirt and the cars had been set up for it. However, I really didn't want to mess the car up that bad, and I didn't want the kids trying to power slide it, so the pavement track worked out just fine.

I ran a few laps with the 2, just to make sure everything was working and nothing was too far out of whack, and then Arlene ran a few more, then came in to report that it drove just about like she remembered. I gave the kids a lecture about taking it easy, and Arlene reminded them that she was a surgical nurse and they weren't going to like what she was going to do to them if they put a ding in her car, and we turned the kids loose. They took it pretty easy, since none of them really wanted to ding up the car, either. I might as well admit that it was enough to get the bug to bite in a couple of the kids, and one of them, Mark Conway, a few years later spent a lot of time campaigning a modern midget around the tri-state area with pretty good results.

With that out of the way, I trailered the 2 car back home and stuck it in the old chicken house with a tarp over it. Bradford traditionally has had a big Fourth of July parade and festival, so when the parade rolled around a few months later I got the car out again, and we shined it up. I made up a sign that said "1949 MMSA Midget, restored by Bradford High School 1964-65 Auto Shop II Class." Arlene got to drive the car in the parade, but I followed along behind with the pickup, with most of the kids from the class riding along in the back. There'd been a lot of stories going around town about the race car that the kids in the Auto Shop class were building, and this really was its first public appearance. I don't want to say that we were the hit of the show but it drew some attention, including a big picture in the Courier, which was a big deal for the time since Lloyd didn't run a lot of pictures in the paper in those days. A lot of people asked if we were going to race it and I had to tell them no – it was an oddball as a midget and no longer fit anyone's rules; it was more a keepsake and a reminder of the way things used to be.

There was a lot of racing talk over fried chicken at the festival grounds, and I heard quite a bit more than I really wanted to know about what was going on at the Bradford Speedway. Things weren't going well – they were down to just having a handful of cars on a given evening, and a crowd of three dozen people was a big one. It turned out that Glenn Mansfield had for practical purposes pulled out of the track, leaving Smoky to get along as best he could. That probably would have been good except that things had gotten so bad that he probably couldn't save them. As far as I was concerned it served him right, and I really didn't much care beyond that. Towards the middle of the season I happened to notice that a "For Sale" sign had gone up in front of the track, and one Saturday night I realized that I wasn't hearing the roar of cars from that direction anymore. A little asking around revealed that Smoky had just hung it up – he wasn't bringing in enough income to even think about trying to keep the place going.

I mentioned before that after our deal at the Bradford Speedway blew up back in 1962, Arlene and I had become pretty serious short track race fans. We weren't out every weekend, sometimes only every third or fourth, but gas was cheap in those days, and when we got an itch to take in a race we tried to go to every different place around that we could. Of course, the kids bugged us about wanting to come along, so sometimes we'd take them – not always; Elaine in particular wasn't interested, and as a preschooler she could be something of a pain to keep an eye on. The boys, however, were real serious about the racing, Ray naturally more so than Vern. Especially with Ray, I could see that I had a racer coming along, and for a while I'd been wondering what I was going to do about it.

While I was standing around the 2 car at the festival shooting the bull with people and telling old racing stories, I got to talking with Craig Ferrill, another teacher at the school. I'd known Craig since I first came to Bradford, and we sometimes sat in the teacher's lounge over lunch hour and talked about one thing and another. I'd known that Craig somehow had gotten into Go-Kart racing as we called it in those days, and while not a super serious competitor he liked to go out and tear around in the little things every now and then. Craig had some kids who were a few years older than Vern and Ray, and somehow the discussion got around to Craig's kids racing the karts, as they came to be called.

"We've got a kids' series," Craig explained. "All age groups, starting at age six. Not all out hot carts with McCulloch engines like the one I race. These just use Clinton lawnmower engines, so they're not real fast, but the kids sure seem to have fun with it."

"Sounds like it might be fun," I replied thoughtfully. That might not be real expensive, I thought, and might do something to get the boys off my back about wanting to go racing. "I wouldn't mind checking that out sometime. Where do you race?"

"Here and there," he replied. "The next race we'll have for the kids will be in the parking lot of the Eagle-Brown factory over in Hawthorne. We just mark out a course with flour and let the kids run it while they learn the basics. With those engines they don't go real fast, but they're just learning. It's real casual. We'll get going about ten o'clock if you'd like to check it out."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.