The Wooing of a London Soubrette - Cover

The Wooing of a London Soubrette

Copyright© 2012 by John D

Chapter 6

Grace woke up on the Sunday, her arms wrapped around Sandy. Her friend had taken a number of hours to get to sleep, and had fidgeted and cried throughout the night.

Sandy opened her eyes the moment Grace stirred and shook herself awake.

"You OK?" Grace asked and Sandy nodded.

"It was Neville," she said without waiting for a response. "I know it was. It was a warning for me to keep my mouth shut."

Grace thought back to the balding man. He seemed to be a business man, albeit in an illegal underworld rather than a traditional industry, rather than a gangster, but Sandy worked with him at the casino and knew him better.

"Are you sure?" Grace asked tentatively and Sandy nodded.

"Yeah. I know. The guy smelt of grease and the casino is above a garage."

Grace took a deep breath and squeezed her hand that was over Sandy's pendulous bosom. "Well if you are sure, let's go and see the police."

Sandy scoffed. "No. They weren't interested. And Neville is well connected with the police. I reckon half of them get bungs from him."

Grace kissed the back of Sandy's neck. "Well what are we going to do? Run off somewhere and set up that business?"

Sandy stared at the skirting-board and shrugged. "I don't know yet. But I am not going to let him win. If he thinks he can intimidate me then he won't. I will be his casino tonight."

"Sandy!" Grace barked horrified. "That is a bad idea."

"No, it is fine. There is another thing. I know the code to the safe. He doesn't know it, but I do."

Grace sighed and closed her eyes. "Please Sandy. Please tell me you are not going to do something silly."

Sandy wriggled out of Grace's grip and sat up in bed. "I am not going to do anything silly. I just don't want to let him win."

Grace swivelled in the bed and sat up alongside her, leaning against the fabric padded headboard. There was a knock at the door and Sandy instinctively called for the person to enter.

Terry arrived with two cups of tea and averted his eyes when he saw the topless teenagers in bed together.

"How do you say, cheers?" Sandy asked and Grace smiled.

"Yeah, cheers," Grace answered and took her cup of steaming tea.

"Sorry, girls. I expected you to be decent," Terry told her as Sandy took her drink and smiled. "There is some eggs, sausages and bacon in the fridge. I was going to cook a full English. Is that OK?"

Sandy smiled and turned her head to look at Grace. "Where did you find him?"

"I didn't," Grace replied quickly. "He found me."

"So is that a yes?" Terry asked and Grace nodded.

"Just check the sausages are OK. We got them last week."

Terry nodded and as he left, Grace called him back. "You have to wear the apron though."

Terry looked down, he was wearing shorts and T-Shirts and shrugged. "I'll be fine," he muttered and Sandy smiled.

"I think she means, she wants you to wear it," Sandy replied and Terry gave a wry smile and left the room.

"Shall we get dressed?" Grace asked and Sandy nodded.

"Yeah," she muttered and, for the first time since Grace had known her, got up and put clothes on for breakfast. Grace was used to seeing Sandy naked, or with just a dressing gown or pyjamas on when in the flat that it seemed strange to see her with trousers and a T-shirt on, at least in their own property.

Grace giggled when she saw Terry. He had worn the full length apron, a mixture of yellow, beige and brown flowers, and was up and against the oven frying the sausages and bacon.

"I found some mushrooms, as well."

Grace smiled and gave him a brief kiss. "It's fine. Do you mind if you go home tomorrow," Grace asked and Terry frowned slightly.

"Will you be OK, on your own?"

Grace bit her lip and nodded. "Yeah. I think so. I do need to walk her home from the casino tonight, she insists on going."

Terry sighed and raised his eyebrows. "You are joking, aren't you?"

Grace pushed her lips together and looked up at him, shaking her head slowly. "No. She is insistent. She won't let him win."

"Well in that case. I will walk her home. I am not having you out at that time of night. There is a rapist about."

Grace rolled her eyes but Terry looked determined and turned back to his sizzling breakfast. "Can you butter the toast?"

Grace nodded and took the grilled bread from the tall man and spread a small layer of butter over the warm toast and then cut it, as Terry was frying off the last couple of eggs.

"It looks as good as mine," Grace teased and Sandy nodded, cutting open her egg and dipping her toast into the yellow liquid oozing over her plate.

There was an uneasy tension in the kitchen as they ate their meal. Terry tried to start a conversation but Grace and Sandy were not talkative and at the end of the meal, Terry took the plates to wash up.


"Two ice creams please," Grace said and passed a couple of coins to the vendor. She scooped some of the ice cream into two cornets, thanked Grace for her custom, and Grace walked over to where Sandy was sat, looking out over the Serpentine.

Sandy had said very little all day, and Grace was getting worried. She was continually lost in her thoughts, and was telling her friend very little about what she was thinking. Grace tried not to nag or needle her, but when she did speak she was clearly concerned and worried.

Terry had prepared dinner when they arrived home and ate the beef stew in almost silence.

At Grace's insistence, Sandy let Terry walk her the fifteen minute walk to the garage, above which the casino sat on. Terry was a little nervous, he knew that Sandy was not talkative, but he held out his hand and she held it as they walked the short distance.

"I'll see you here at what time?" Terry asked and Sandy looked up at him.

"You don't have to," she muttered but Terry stared at her waiting for an answer. "One in the morning, maybe a bit later."

"I'll see you later then."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.