A Mages Chronicle
Prologue

Copyright© 2012 by DragonBlood

I remember it like it was just yesterday, mainly because I've since used Magic to really enhance my memory but that's not relevant, the point is the memory is crystal clear and I'm going to tell you all about how an ordinary day turned extraordinary.

When the day began I didn't think that it would be anything too special. I'd been back at school for three weeks and I was already back into the depressingly normal routine.

My birthday the week before hadn't been very interesting. In fact it was more awkward than anything and only outlined how badly my family knew me. Sure Cass knew I was pretty smart and Brent knew that I was interested in girls after I'd asked him for advice but there was nothing else which we really had as common ground, which is particularly awkward on a day when everyone seems to pay attention to you.

I never really understood the fuss. Granted the presents were always nice but what purpose did the celebration really serve? Congratulations on surviving another year! Like it's a great accomplishment? Pahh!

Anyway like I said, I had no expectations for anything besides the usual monotonous grind that day. For the most part I was right, school was the usual drag broken up only by the chance to chat with the gang and sneak a quick kiss from Em at lunch.

But as I arrived home that afternoon everything would begin to change...

I had my headphones in as I was walking up my road toward my house. I'd stuck around for a while after school with Em and waited while she was picked up before I walked home on my own. This didn't bother me much, I liked bobbing along with my headphones in every now and then. Kind of therapeutic you know?

I was completely oblivious to all else as I bobbed along to some Red Hot Chilli Peppers, I was listening to Dani California and I was trying very hard to not start miming playing the drums or bass. Something about the Chillis always made me want to groove, you know? It filled me up with energy or something. It's hard to explain. But I bobbed along oblivious to all until a felt a tap on my arm.

I promptly jumped about a foot in the air a let out a very manly noise that definitely didn't make me blush. Malcolm, our streets postman, for that was who had interrupted me, just smiled knowingly. I pulled my head phone out and tucked them into the collar of my shirt.

"Scared the crap out of me there" I said trying to make light of the event.

He laughed good naturedly and reached into his post bag and pulled out a package about the size of an A4 pad but three inches thick.

"Got this for you, figured I'd be lazy and save myself the walk." He joked as he looked through his bag and pulled out a couple of letters and handed me them too.

"Need me to sign anything for this?" I asked as he handed me the package and the letters.

"Nope" He replied cheerfully. "Have a nice day lad." He said as he wandered off again.

I mumbled some kind of affirmative response as I headed up the garden path pulling my keys out of my pocket. I managed to get the door open and as I came into the house I noticed it was quiet and realised that I was the first of my siblings home and dad was obviously still at work while mum must still be asleep. Her working nights meant that she'd sleep until about six when she'd get up and we'd help make dinner before she'd leave.

I went through the living room into the kitchen and looked at the letters. One was addressed to 'The Occupier' the other two for 'David Walker' so I dumped them on the table and looked at the package.

It was a simple cardboard box, which on closer inspection was actually larger than a sheet of A4 paper and at four inches thick much heavier. There was a stuck on label which had clearly been printed off some kind of computer as the type was perfectly spaced and neat. I found this odd. The package itself looked mundane yet someone had gone to the trouble of printing off an address label instead of just hand writing it. But why?

My fingers played with the top of the box, considering opening it but some kind of intuition told me that I'd want to be somewhere private for this. It felt odd but I was both wary and excited to open this package and I definitely wanted to know I was alone.

Making my decision I went to the door that lead to the stairs down to my bedroom in the cellar underneath our house. Most people found it odd that a child was living in a cellar, but let me assure you that this isn't any kind of Harry Potter shit. I liked the cellar!

Any kid who has had to share a bedroom with a sibling would understand why I asked for permission to decorate the cellar and turn it into my bedroom. I hated having to share a room with Brent and he definitely hated having his little brother about to cramp his style too. This arrangement worked for everyone, besides it's not like we used it for anything else anyway.

There wasn't any natural light in the my little 'hidey hole', as my mum called it. However it was spacious, I had a double bed and could decorate it as I liked. I'd done the cleaning, the painting and the setting up the furniture. It was my room. I still had a few things to do yet. The skirting board wasn't on yet, or the trim that went about the joint between the walls and the ceiling. I planned to do both those jobs this weekend. There were a few other things as well, properly setting up my T.V. and xbox had yet to be done though I did have my desk and computer set up.

As I came down the stairs to my bedroom I locked the door behind me. I quickly threw my keys and bag onto my desk and sat down on my bed to open the package.

As I tried to open the package I noticed that my hands were shaking and my heart beating wildly. Why was I having this kind of reaction?

Taking a calming breath and steadying my hands I ripped open the top of the cardboard package and tilted it so that the contents would come out onto my bed. Four things dropped out.

The first appeared to be a book, a very old book by the looks of it. Bound in black leather with a thick spine and a lock keeping the book together that had no discernible keyhole. There was nothing written on the book to indicate it's purpose but I could tell just by holding it that it was old and very valuable. Setting it to one side I turned to the rest of the objects.

The next items out were two identical medicine bottles. The labels pronouncing them to be Calpol were old and worn. Shaking the bottle showed that the contents weren't nearly thick enough to be actual Calpol so what could they be? Wary of the two bottles I put them to the side as well. I didn't want to open them and take a sniff in case this was some kind of joke.

The last item was a simple white envelope. My hands started shaking again as I went to open it and as my heart started beating wildly I had a weird feeling.

Have you ever had a moment when you just know that something is going to happen, or you know an answer to a question with no real knowledge of how you know it? Well I had a moment like that.

As I stared at that envelop I knew what it would be telling me. I'd always felt different from my family but my looking different as well? I had a sinking feeling that this letter would be telling me that I wasn't as much a Walker as I thought I was.

Honestly this thought scared the hell out of me. For years I had ignored the signs of my being different and just put them down to being your average teenager who thinks his family don't get him but it was unavoidable, I am not a Walker. But if not one of them who am I?

Taking a deep breath I opened the letter and began to read.

Dear Michael

This is very difficult for me to write, I wish that I could simply tell you this news face to face but I'm afraid that is not possible at the moment. You see Michael I am your Father not David Walker. I know, I know, difficult to believe right? But it's true! Surely you've noticed it? I managed to get a hold of a photo of your family not long ago and I can clearly tell you aren't one of them. Oh you have Mandys jaw and cheekbones but otherwise you're the exact opposite to your siblings! Blue eyes to all their green? Black hair to their blonde? Short to their tall? Stocky to their lean? Any of this sounding familiar son?

But I'm afraid that's not all I have to tell you. The reason I send you this now is simple, I fear for my life and I wanted to make sure you receive your inheritance without leading my enemies to your doorstep. See Michael, Magic is real...

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.