Replay - Cover

Replay

Copyright© 2012 by Kaffir

Chapter 19

Choosing Joanna's ring took surprisingly little time. It was a little large but the jeweller promised to have it ready for them by eleven o'clock so they went and found a café which Joanna knew did delicious carrot cake as well as good coffee. At five past eleven they emerged from the jeweller's with Joanna proudly wearing a brilliant sapphire in a diamond cluster.

They went back to The Lodge for lunch where Emma and Jerry made all the right noises. Simon barely ate anything in view of his rugby and they both left for the ground at half past one for a two-fifteen kick-off. Joanna was thrilled to be introduced to people as 'my fiancée'. She also thoroughly enjoyed showing off her ring.

Simon's explanation of the rudiments of the game allowed her to make sense of it and she was impressed with his play. He was quick behind the scrum and threw long, accurate passes. He also made a number of breaks himself.

After the players had showered there was beer to be drunk. Simon confined himself to a couple of pints despite team mates wanting him to celebrate his engagement and Joanna nursed a squash. They were home by half past five.

Zoë whirled in around seven. Joanna waited until she had greeted everyone before shyly holding out her left hand to her. Zoë did no more than glance at the ring before with a shriek of "Jo darling" hugged her tightly, drew back to kiss her and then hugged her again. She released her and attacked Simon with equal vigour before turning back to Joanna and seizing her hand.

"Let me look ... Oh, Jo, it's beautiful!" she cried and hugged her again. "I'm so happy for you. Simon, come here, you lovely man." She reached out and pulled him into the hug. "When did it happen?"

"Yesterday evening kneeling in the gravel outside the front door," giggled Joanna. "My knees are permanently damaged." She managed to kiss Simon's cheek.

Zoë released them. "So I've missed out on the champagne," she moaned.

"Poor thing," said Jerry. "There may be a flat dribble in the bottom of the bottle.

Zoë growled and then smiled at him and Emma. "Aren't you both thrilled?"

"Yes, sweety, very," replied Emma.

"Lots of mooning about and calves' eyes though?"

"They've actually been pretty good," said Jerry.

"Shame on you! said Zoë to Joanna and Simon.

"We haven't had time," protested Joanna.

The telephone rang. It was Tricia for Simon.

"Congratulations, Simon dearest!"

"Thanks, Tricia my sweet."

"You've got a real good'un. Take great care of her."

"I will, believe me."

"I know you will and she'll do the same for you. I'm sorry I haven't rung earlier but Mum didn't ring me until after their party was over yesterday evening and it was pretty late and then I remembered you were playing rugby this afternoon. Anyway I gather I shall meet all your in-laws to be next Sunday."

"That's right."

"Well, if they're anything like Jo, that's going to be fun."

"It will be, I promise. You'll like them a lot."

"I look forward to it. Give Jo my love and a kiss from me. 'Bye, Simon."

"'Bye, Tricia."

He did as he was told giving Joanna an additional kiss from himself.

"That reminds me," she said. "Zoë, we've all been invited to lunch at the Carstairs' next Sunday. Can you make it?"

"You bet. End of term on Friday. Whew!"

Joanna rang Helen and told her. The latter was delighted.

"And Simon bought me the most heavenly ring this morning," Joanna bubbled on.

"Wonderful, my dear! Don't tell me about it though. Save it as a surprise for Sunday. I really look forward to seeing it and of course to meeting your family. It's going to be fun. See you between half past twelve and one."

"Yes, Helen. Give my love to Iain."

"Thank you, sweety."

The following Sunday was indeed fun. The two families took to each other immediately, particularly Tricia and Zoë. Iain very tactfully let Jerry know that he would be happy to help him out with the wedding expenses. Jerry was very grateful. Emma had told him that Will had years earlier put some money aside for the girls' weddings but it was not a huge amount and, from his own point of view, an army pension, while quite adequate for normal living expenses, did not really allow him to splash out.

Despite a big lunch and wine the younger members of the family played croquet in the afternoon. Zoë was every bit as evil as Tricia. She was not averse to barging someone as they were about to play a shot and the game quickly became a riot accompanied by helpless laughter. Simon complained that it was more energetic and tiring than a game of rugby. "But much more fun!" he added.

Joanna trailed back up to Putney on her own while Simon went home with Jerry and Emma.

Simon rang his father on Monday. "Dad," he said once the initial pleasantries and talk of the previous day were over, "I need to know your plans for me so that Joanna and I can think about where we're going to live and whether to rent or buy."

"It depends to an extent on you, Simon. I can't believe you want to go on selling houses for ever."

"No, Dad. I'm happy down here but I'd actually like to go back to estate management if you could persuade the board that I've matured sufficiently."

"I thought you might say that. I think they'd probably accept it. You've run the Pitsbury branch well. If you do go back into estate management you'll be based in London and Mum and I would be delighted to have you in the flat."

"What about Tricia?"

"She's been making independence noises and so I think would be happy to move to somewhere else."

"OK, Dad. Many thanks. I'll need to talk it over with Joanna. Any idea when Pitsbury might come to an end?"

"How about when you marry? Or is that going to be next week?"

Simon laughed. "Hardly. That would mean three very disappointed women. I suspect it won't be before spring but again I need to talk to Joanna."

"Yes of course. Just keep me in the loop."

"Will do, Dad, and thanks."

Simon went up to Putney on Wednesday and the two of them spent almost the entire evening discussing the future.

"Simon darling, I'd like to get married as soon as we possibly can. Don't let's wait for the spring. We can have the reception in a hotel rather than Mum and Dad's garden and the temperature won't matter. All that matters is that we're together instead of this Wednesdays and weekends existence."

"Are you sure? A girl's wedding day is supposed to be special."

"Stop being silly. Yes of course I want a party and show off a bit but the important thing and special thing is us being husband and wife. Really, Si, I mean it."

"Tomorrow at the registry office?" he grinned.

"Yes if you want and I'm serious even if you're not."

"Oh, my precious Jo-Jo!"

"Right. We'll nail Mum this weekend."

"OK. Now, are you happy with the flat?"

"Very. It's a very kind offer as long as Tricia is OK with it which means we've got to give her a bit of time. I wonder if she'd get on with Liz and then we could just do a straight swap. Why don't we ask them both to join us for supper next Wednesday?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.