Replay
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2012 by Kaffir

Emma reached Jerry's house shortly before two. Despite the dogs wishing to greet her, she and Jerry managed a hug and a kiss.

"What about a drink?"Jerry asked.

"Yes please. What are we going to eat though?"

"Bread and cheese but you can have some soup first if you like."

"No soup and a lager if that's all right."

"Very. That's what I'm going to have."

They sat on the sofa in the conservatory which, even in late March with the sun shining on it, was warm. Neither said anything just leaning comfortably against each other.

At last Jerry, slightly hesitantly, broke the silence. "Um, Emma darling, I'm not trying to rush you or anything but I think you need to start wearing an engagement ring as soon as possible so that we can stop the gossips in their tracks."

"OK. I'm happy with that."

"So what about an expedition tomorrow after work. We could meet for lunch and then go on a hunt."

Emma looked excited. "That'd be fun." Then she looked serious. "What about my wedding ring?"

"I hadn't thought about that but I can see that you'd still want to wear Will's."

She nodded.

"How about moving it to your right hand?"

"Good idea ... as long as it fits. I bet my right hand's bigger than my left."

That gave Jerry the chance to take both her hands. He examined them both and tested each ring finger with his thumb and third finger before kissing both. She smiled at him.

"Smoothy!"

He grinned. "Never miss a chance."

He leant forward and gave her a peck on the lips. Her smile widened.

"Are they the same size?"

"I'd have thought so. You could always do a test."

"Later. I'll probably need some soap as a lubricant."

Jerry sensed her reluctance to move her wedding ring and said nothing. She had probably never taken it off since her wedding.

This time it was Emma's turn hesitantly to break the short silence.

"Jerry, I, er, don't know what you were thinking about making love."

He smiled gently at her. "As and when you're ready. I rather hope it won't be too long though because you're so lovely and I can hardly wait to show you how much I love you."

She smiled back every bit as warmly. "I feel the same but when Will was killed I didn't bother to take the pill anymore so I'm going to have to start again which means a month before it's effective."

Jerry sucked his cheeks and his eyes twinkled. "It's not as though we're married yet, you know."

Emma looked at him through her lashes. "No, sir. Sorry, sir. I was being forward, sir."

"Quite understandable, my dear. I am quite irresistible."

"Says you! Remember what Zoë said, 'Quite dishy' with the accent on the 'quite'."

"Yes, ma'am."

They both laughed and simultaneously put their drinks down before happily hugging and giving each other a quick peck on the lips.

"Well done! Very restrained," gurgled Emma.

Jerry pulled her back to him and kissed her soundly.

"Ooph!" gasped Emma. "I could get used to that."

Jerry smiled at her again. "Do I get some condoms?" he asked.

"Would you? I know it's not the same."

"But I'll still be making love to you and that's what counts."

Emma leant in for another kiss which was rather more evenly matched.

"Shall we go and have some lunch?" Jerry asked.

They both went through to the kitchen. He turned on the oven and popped two bread rolls into it.

"Shall we share another can of lager while we wait for the rolls?"

"Mm, yes please."

Emma looked round. "This is a jolly good kitchen," she said. "Plenty of cupboard space."

"Yes and no. If it had a proper larder it would be perfect. An awful lot of the cupboard space is taken up with dry foods and tins."

"Even with you on your own?"

"No, that's true. You know you ought to have a sniff round and decide which house you want to live in."

"Have you a preference?"

"No although your nice garden and the Trout are major attractions to yours."

"Can I have the sniff after lunch?"

"Of course you can."

Jerry changed the subject. "What about the wedding? I imagine you want it in church."

"You bet I do but nothing lavish this time: just our parents and children, I'd have thought."

"Great minds ... When?"

"As soon as possible but realistically I doubt we can organise it in less than six weeks."

"Your village church is to all intents and purposes closed, isn't it?"

"Yes."

"So here or Netherbourne?"

"Why not here? People can park here and then we can walk back for the reception."

"Makes sense to me. Would you like me to sound out the vicar?"

"Would you?"

"Consider it done."

"We need to contact our parents and you your boys."

"Yes and arrange visits to and from. I wouldn't want to meet your parents for the first time on our wedding day."

"Same here."

The rolls were ready and while they were chatting Jerry had laid the table. They sat down over the corner of the table.

"Actually," said Jerry, "coming to think of it, it's more than just parents and children. I've got a sister and family."

Emma grinned. "Getting a bit self-centred, aren't we? I've got a brother and family too."

"Oops!"

"Double oops! Mind you, Mum will be onto Greg within seconds of me putting the phone down."

Jerry grinned. "Same with my mother but I think it would be better coming direct from us so we need to stifle our mothers."

Emma chuckled. "If mine's anything to go by they'll need firm handling."

Jerry joined her. "'Mum, you are not to ring whoever because I'm going to do that now!'"

Emma, still smiling broadly, reached for his hand. "That wouldn't necessarily stop my mother. I'd better ring Greg first!"

Jerry laughed as their fingers intertwined and he mouthed a kiss. He became serious quickly again though.

"Emma, my sweet, there's another thing. Zoë's finals. We mustn't mess them up."

"Oh golly, no!"

"So July at the earliest."

"Yes, darling. Absolutely."

"So are we going to move in together before that? There'll be gossip."

Emma looked at him. There was not a hint of pressure in his eyes. She was looking to him to make the decision, after their engagement the first major one. It was not lost on him.

"Gossip," he murmured, "Zoë's and therefore Joanna's reaction."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.