Looking at You - Cover

Looking at You

Copyright© 2012 by brightstar

Chapter 1

First Step

It was a tough exam. I never expected that it'd be this tough. Sure, I'd studied for it but being in the examination hall, wracking my brain for two hours writing the arguments for and against Economic Planning models we'd studied the semester, I pray I never go through it again. Once was enough.

It wasn't that I didn't feel confident about what I wrote, it was just that the whole period of writing my Degree Exam had been exhausting, like I'd been on one hell of a ride and there was no slowing down. It was really tiring, having an upcoming exam at the forefront of your mind even when you're dreaming. Believe me; I'd dreamt enough worse case scenarios during this period.

I breathed a deep sigh of relief. I could feel the tension washing away from my body, and suddenly it was like my body had been energized. It was my last paper and it felt good knowing that it was the last time I'd be writing an exam, except when I came for my Masters, which is all undecided at the moment. No need getting ahead of myself.

I was among the first group to finish and I savored the sweet taste of freedom while waiting for my classmates. I went to a vendor selling snacks and topped up on the fuel. No need running on empty stomach.

Before long, the last exam that my set would ever write in this school was over. There were jubilation and expressions of happiness. People were hugging each other, some were taking pictures, capturing this particular moment in time.

And I was all alone. Four years of University education and there was no friend to show for it. It wasn't exactly true but I wasn't crawling with friends waiting to take pictures with me. I stood there and watched them. It was what I was good at; people watching. I'd learnt to be obscure that it was nothing new to me.

I was so lost in my melancholy that I was more surprised to be hugged by someone from behind. I smiled. Only one person had the luxury of hugging me like this. I turned and I saw the radiant face of the only woman in this world who had the potential of hurting me more than anyone in this world, the only woman apart from my family that meant the world to me.

"Hey you," I greeted while hugging her to me. I don't know but I had the sense that I was home, where I belonged every time I hugged her.

"How was it for you," she asked when we disengaged from our hug.

"You need to ask?" I asked in mock anger. "I finished before everyone, remember?"

"I know but that doesn't mean that it couldn't have been tough for you," she explained.

"I know. And it was pretty tough for me. I didn't even get to answer all the questions. But it was great for me. What of you? How was it for you?"

"It was great. I took my time. Hopefully, this man will be lenient in his marking and I'd get to get out of here. I can't wait to be a graduate."

"Yeah, me too. But it was a great experience, wasn't it. At least it gave me an opportunity to meet you."

She laughed out loud. "Yeah, it was great. But I just want to move on to the next phase of our life."

"Can't wait, can you?" I asked.

"Like you'd never imagine. Come, let's go take some pictures." With that, she dragged me to a photo guy and we started posing. I wasn't comfortable. Truth be told, I'd never been comfortable before the camera. But I smiled through it all. Anything for her.

"Just imagine what our kids will say when they see our pictures," I commented after we'd finished taking pictures.

"It will be a great memorabilia for when we get old and tell our kids about our friendship."

Surprised? I know I'd be if I was you what with our obvious chemistry but Emily and I are just friends. We'd been since our first year when she conducted tutorial for me in some of our courses.

"So what are you going to do now?" she asked after we'd paid the photographer.

"What do you mean?" I asked back.

"I mean, it's the last day of school, anything you wished you'd done since first year?" she asked, her intensive eyes boring into me.

Immediately, unconsciously, my eyes went to the other woman who had the potential of being the most important woman of my life. She was taking pictures with her friends, boys and girls alike. I wish I could be them, holding her close to me like that.

But I could. What was stopping me? I had all the opportunity in the world to go to her and strike up a conversation. In my no-regret mindset, I realized that if I didn't talk to her, I might never get the opportunity. I might never see her again. And I'd always be wondering what would have been had I had the gut to talk to her.

I turned to see my friend looking at me with mirth in her eyes. She knew me too well. I drew her close to me and kissed her forehead. It was my sign of affection for her. She probably didn't realize how much I loved her. I turned and strode to where she stood. It was now or never.

My heart was racing fast. My mind was going over the escape routes, the excuses I'd give and the things to say to her. I realized I was acting like a geek in one these cheesy American High School romance movies. I hated that fact. A powerful man like me, or more correctly, a man who was going to be successful shouldn't be afraid of talking to a sissy. But I was. Does that make me any less a powerful man?

"Hey, Happy last exams," I greeted as I reached her.

"Thanks," she replied while flashing her beautiful smile at me. God, she was too beautiful.

"Mind taking pictures with me?" I asked gesticulating to the camera man.

"No, as long as you pay for it." She laughed at her own statement, and I joined her albeit belatedly.

Before I knew it, the pictures were over. It was hardly enough time to savor the feeling of having her in my hand or standing close to her, smelling the rich perfume that she'd put on.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.