Cecil Corliss, Young Investor - Cover

Cecil Corliss, Young Investor

Copyright© 2012 by happyhugo

Chapter 6

We walked into the agency. "Cecil, you had a call from some place called Button and Bows. The guy is anxious to speak to you."

"Okay, Mr. Johnson, thank you." I sat down and called George. "Hi George, how's it going?"

I listened to him as he said that Connie had filled him in on the status of me owning half of the knitting store. He was happy to find out it was I who had invested in Connie's business and then he asked me to be his best man. He was giving me all the credit for putting him into the position where he was confident enough to ask Connie to be his wife.

"George it was you who remade yourself. You are good people and I am happy for both of you. I would ask you not to tell Cindy what you have found out. It would just be one more thing she would hold against me." George agreed.

Amanda who had been listening questioned, "What was that all about?"

"A person I used to work with has asked me to be his best man. The owner, Connie Williams is a friend of my mother's and George is her manager. They are getting married just before the New Year festivities. That makes the second time this month I am going to be the best man. My mother and Pat Herkimer are getting married on the twenty-eighth." I started picking up my desk. "I have to leave for a little while. I'll be back by 3:30."

"Do you still want me to work on those addresses?"

"Only when you have time."

"I'll make time. Cecil, thank you for taking me to lunch. When you come back we'll see about designing a business card for you."

The people who were looking to lease the apartment on the third floor of the Plaza were a "no show." I went up to the loft to see if Polly was in. She wasn't. Pat was in a conference, so I headed back to the agency. When I came in Amanda looked up and said, "The owner of Biscotti Construction called and wanted to speak to you. He got the phone number here from your mother."

"Hey Primo, how is business?"

"Booming. Cecil, would you be my best man? Caroline and I are getting married on the twentieth. This is no big wedding, just before a judge. You're the person that put me back in business and I'd like you to be part of our getting married."

"Sure and congratulations. Is my mother going to be there?"

"Yes, all of Caroline's friends will be. We are having a dinner after the ceremony. Then we are leaving for ten days and will be back in town the first of the year. I've got so much business I can't be gone longer."

"Okay, have Caroline give Mom the details and I am honored to stand with you." I hung up and turned to Amanda laughing, "Wow, three weddings in ten days and I'm the best man for all of them. I guess I better buy me a tuxedo."

"Cecil, how do you know Biscotti? He did the Plaza construction didn't he?"

"Yes, Caroline Mancini is another of mother's friends. I've had some dealings with Primo, so I guess as long as I am available he asked me."

"You know some powerful people. Pat Herkimer owns the Plaza. Constance Williams owns the Button and Bows Knitting Shop. Primo Biscotti Construction Company. I also just remembered that John Reardon said there was some smart-assed kid who interfered with him selling his sister's hair salon property. He was certainly peeved at that person. Was that you? How old are you, anyway?"

I grinned, "Nineteen. Really, I know all of those you mentioned through my mother. Well, except for Pat. I arranged for him to be my mother's date one time."

"Has your mother got any other friends I should know about?"

"A couple, but I don't think I am involved with them except they are my friends as well. There is Polly Olson, the artist. You may have heard of her. Another is a Melanie Fortier. I did not know but when we get busy, we might find something for her to do here at the agency. She is your age, a widow, and has had it rough for the last five years. There is one other friend who has just started a relationship with a school teacher."

"What makes you think we are going to get busy?"

"I do believe those addresses you have been working on and my father's name will generate some extra business. Just as soon as I get a business card to put in the letters and we send it out to them, I'll wager we are going to be busy."

Amanda was laughing. "Well, let's get into designing them. What did you have in mind?"

"Something colorful, a little filigree around the edges, and a script that is easily read. No Old English or anything such as that. Personally, I like Times Roman. We might even have the cards laminated in a dark red or maybe a chocolate brown."

"Let's do it. The printer can show us samples before the final decision. I never thought of having the cards stand out like you are suggesting."

"Most business cards are put somewhere and overlooked. If we have them colorful, they won't so easily lost and can be spotted if a person is hunting for them, even if it is in his wallet."

"Good plan."

Over the next few days the letter we drafted earlier would go out to the addresses of my father's old clients. It would inform them that I was trying to follow Samson Corliss' example and as their needs for real estate arose, Johnson's Real Estate Agency would be pleased to handle their requirements. Cecil Corliss, Sales Associate. Two business cards were to be included in each letter. Ninety-seven letters were ready to mail on the first of the year or earlier if the cards were ready.

The month of December was half over. Mitzi was working out a notice and she spent the third weekend of the month with me. This was to be our last time together and we made it memorable for each other. Foster and Chelsea were going north with her to get her settled into a small apartment. This would be happening as soon as school let out for the holidays. I cannot say we had love, but we certainly would miss each other.

I was getting along great with my bosses at Johnson Realty. I had progressed to calling them by their first names, Dick and Jane Johnson. Dick did have some condominiums listed for sale, some in the same complex, sublet by those already owned. There were a few Time Shares. There was a mix of single-family dwellings. His listing of commercial real estate was minimal.

I never knew each day what I would be doing when I got to the agency. They did not have much business and it was a relaxed atmosphere in the office. I had one prospect looking for a small house and I spent most of one day showing the couple several houses. They did not find anything they wanted, but thanked me anyway. "Come back in the spring. That is the best time to find what you are looking for." They promised they would.

I put Drina on a plane for New York on the nineteenth of December to be with Roma and Rachel. They were flying out to California and I would not see Roma at all. We did talk several times over the phone. It was always about what she was learning, and about a few bit parts, she had in small playhouses. Only in one did she have more than a few lines to say. This made her happy to be able to act at all.

I did not need a tuxedo for the Biscotti wedding. Caroline Mancini, now Mrs. Biscotti stood up, rapped on a glass for attention at the wedding dinner and wanted to say a few words. "I'm happy all of you are with us tonight. You are my friends. There is one person here who has made this marriage possible. Oh, eventually it would have happened because Primo and I love each other very much and have for quite some time. The person I am talking about is of course Cecil Corliss, who engaged an almost bankrupt construction company to do the work on the Plaza access.

"He even arranged financing through his bank. This is unusual in one of so few years. I would like to ask him one question. Why did you help us?"

I stood and had an answer ready. "You are one of my mother's many friends. When we were together at her house, you were always talking about some man named Primo. I figured from all you said about him he must be something. I inquired and found he was really what you believed. That is why, if you need to know, or it could be because you make a beautiful couple and deserve to be together." I sat down.

Caroline came around the table and hugged me. Primo was right behind her and shook my hand. I looked over his shoulder and could see my mother with love shining in her eyes for me. Sitting beside her was Polly. What more could a kid like me ask for?"

As the dinner was breaking up, mother came to me and asked me to take Melanie home as she and Pat wanted to go to a club. "Sure, I don't mind. The newly-weds have left already."

Melanie was easily the most beautiful woman at the dinner. She had had more than one glass of wine, but still in control of her actions. I held the door of my Jetta so she could slide in. I saw a fair amount of shapely leg, but thought nothing of it. She did seem nervous which was not too obvious, although I wondered why. When we got to her apartment, she asked me to steady her while she opened the door.

I took her keys from her and unlocked it. "Cecil, would you come in? I would like company for a little. Drina is in New York and I'm feeling lonely."

"Sure, I have nothing to do."

"Thank you."

I went in and Melanie was really nervous now. "Melanie, what is wrong? Aren't you feeling well?"

She hesitated before asking, "Cecil, are you committed to anyone at present?"

"No, I don't have anyone. Why?"

"I'm going to tell you something and then I'm going to ask you to do something for me. You can refuse and I hope you and I will still be friends."

I was beginning to get a sense of what she wanted. "Cecil, I have hidden myself ever since my husband killed himself. I know he felt he had to after losing all of our money gambling. I loved him and I would have forgiven him if he had only given me a chance. That was five years ago and I have had no one to love me. Cecil, wou..."

I held my hand up for her to stop. "Melanie, don't say anything. Don't debase yourself by having to ask. I will do the asking. Would you like me to stay the night with you?"

I received a very faint, "Yes."

"Okay, I'll have a soda or something while you get comfortable and then I'll come to you." I received a brilliant smile and she turned and went into the bathroom. I heard the shower running. Not for long though. When she came out and went into the bedroom, I went in and did the same. The bedroom door was closed. I opened it and crossed to her, fully covered by a blanket, lying in the bed, facing away from me.

"I don't need much. I need to be held and cuddled. If you want more I will do whatever you want." I turned out the lights and slid into bed next to her. She then turned back to me and lay on her back. I reached up with my fingers and turned her face so I could kiss her gently on the lips. She whispered, "Hold me."

I could sense she wanted to have me go slow. I do not think it was because she was fearful or felt it was in any way shameful, her being in her early forties and I being so much younger. I think she just wanted to savor the feeling of someone being with her. That was enough for a little while. When she took my hand and placed it on her breast, I knew she was giving me permission to make love to her.

I do not suppose I was that experienced. I had only been with two other women, but they had taught me a lot. Mitzi more than Connie probably. Both had taught me to read the other partner's body and that was a valuable lesson learned. Melanie claimed she just wanted to be held and cuddled, but that was not what her body was telling me. My fingers stroked, probed, and caressed. When she uttered, "Please," I entered her.

I stayed with her until she came down from the second one. We had not discussed whether she was on birth control and I hated to ask. Worrying about this had kept me from my own climax. We relaxed, but it was obvious that I had not finished. She asked me why and I told her. She laughed and thanked me for being so considerate. "But it isn't necessary, I never have been able to conceive. I grew a cyst as a child and it had to be removed. I am barren. I should have told you. The night is young, let's enjoy it fully."

She got out of bed and turned the light on. Not shy anymore I was able to see her as she went to the bathroom. She was a beautiful woman. Her breasts were small for a person as tall as she was, but perfect. Her backside below her waist was to be admired, and her long legs were slender and well formed. She gave me a smile and pirouetted before me on her return. I hurriedly headed for the bathroom before my erection returned full force.

It was almost an hour later when I gave this wonderful older woman the holding and cuddling she had so wanted. We went to sleep then. I awoke before daylight and realized that Melanie was awake as well. I could hear her catching her breath as if she was sobbing.

"Melanie, are you sorry?"

"No, of course not. What a wonderful night you have given me. I do not ever expect to have one like this again. I lay here thinking that I am going to get out more and start looking for someone who will love me. I have to do something and soon. The small annuity I have been living on is just about used up. You have given me some money to teach Drina things she needs to know, but she will not be here much longer. I'm not going to have you support me."

"I will for a while longer. I am doing fine financially. Besides you are a friend of my mother."

"Don't say it, Cecil. You always use your mother for an excuse to keep from taking the credit for the generous things you do for people. Someday someone is going to come along and investigate you and shed a light on all of your good works."

"Melanie, lets get a little closer and sleep some more. We have time."

"Okay, I can see you are just changing the subject. It is only right we should snuggle, as that is what I asked for. You gave me so much more though, and I'm going to cherish this night forever."

I helped cook breakfast. I hated to go out to where I had parked my car in my dress clothes. Then I remembered I had a change of clothes in the car. I asked Melanie to get them for me. It was a little awkward when I got ready to leave. Neither of us knew what to say. Finally, I just walked to this woman, hugging her as tight as I could. I kissed her and she started to say something. I put my finger on her lips, watching the tears running down her cheeks. I left then.


I went home and got ready to go to the gym. I started doing twenty minutes on the stationary bike. My thoughts swung to Melanie and last night. I did have some concerns. Would she become demanding now that we had sex. I did not think so, but I wouldn't know until I saw her again. If we were nearer an age, she could demand of me all that she wanted. I certainly did not want to hurt her, but what we had, needed to be only the short term. I would see her in a few days anyway, at the dinner my mom always put on for her friends.

It was a little after eight when I got to the agency. Still I was the first one in. I picked up the Multiple Listing catalog and started looking at the sales sheets in it. I wanted to get an idea of what properties were on hand to show a client when any came in.

Again, my mind turned back to Melanie. She needed to be doing something productive. Would Pat agree to have her show the empty apartments? It was not much of a job, but I could see down the road if I was busy here at the agency, it might conflict. Amanda came in and said good morning, just as I was about to call Pat and run my idea by him.

"Pat, I took Melanie home last night and I stayed and talked. She needs to be doing something. I know you turned the showing of apartments and the paper work over to me, but I could train her to do that. Would you mind if I offered it to her?"

"Hell no, I told you it was yours. Do whatever you want. As beautiful as she is, no one would want to not rent an apartment with her showing it."

"Okay, I'm going to talk to her." I hung up and Amanda asked me about the call.

"I have a friend, actually she is a friend of my mother's who needs some income. I am looking for something she can do. She is a widow and not trained to work, but I believe she is quite intelligent. I had to leave here the other day to show an apartment and I can see your father might object if I had a client with me here.

"He might. He has not got you figured out yet. You seem so dedicated and glad to be here, but he feels as if he does not know you yet. It goes back to Reardon. John's credentials were so perfect, but Dad was glad when he left. He was just plain lazy.

"That is why I want to get things squared away and give my full attention to the agency. I know we are going to be very busy soon."

"How do you know that?"

"I just know what my father's clients are like. The Corliss name meant a lot to them. They will contact me and give me a shot to see if I am anything like he was. I think I am."

"You have confidence that is for sure."

I made the call. "Good morning, Melanie, how are you?"

"I'm the best I have been in a long time. I didn't expect to hear from you today."

"I was thinking about you and I had a thought about something you said. You said you wanted to get out and do something. You know I am connected to the Plaza. Pat has apartments to rent and show to tenants. Also, there is some paper work involved like the lease, etc. References checked, money collected, and deposited. Is that something you might like to do?"

"Do you think I would be capable of doing a good job at it?"

"I do. I will stay right with you until you are trained."

"Okay if you think I can do it."

"Good, call for a taxi and come over to the Johnson Realty Agency. I am not busy and I will fill you in a little more. I'll pay the cabbie when you get here." I hung up and turned to Amanda. "Amanda when she comes in, if you can spare a minute, would you show her some standard lease agreements?"

"What's in it for me?" She was grinning.

I laughed, "Oh, all right, lunch."

I went out when the taxi drove up and paid the driver. Melanie looked at me and I took her arm and escorted her inside. "Melanie, this is Amanda Pierce, she is the office manager of this agency." Amanda rose and came around the desk. Needless to say, clenches were seldom included in introductions. Neither were tears. "I would guess you two know each other." Ignored and forgotten, I stood there.

I listened to the two women babble about their lives. Dick Johnson came in and he knew Melanie from when the two girls had been friends many years ago. Apparently, Melanie's family and the Johnsons had lived side by side through high school. At some point Melanie's family moved away and the friends had lost touch. This was complicated by both girls getting married and changing their names.

Dick called me into his office and asked me questions about Melanie. I told him I didn't know much. She was a great friend of my mother's and I had known her for the last five years. I thought that was about the time her husband killed himself. I did know she was in dire straits financially. I had found something I thought I could teach her to give her a little income. A question followed about what that was.

I explained and he came back with, "Well, if she is any good at learning how to do this, there is often the same kind of things that we handle here. No one special has been doing it because to tell the truth we aren't that busy and whoever is free does it."

"If you get busy and I can teach her, will you consider her?"

"Of course. As beautiful as she is, she will be an asset to the agency. What are you doing for lunch?"

"I'm taking Amanda and I think Melanie as well. She doesn't seem anxious to leave."

"Why are you taking Amanda to lunch again today?"

"Because she promised to help me teach Melanie before she even knew she was a former friend."

"Can you afford it? Your salary won't pay for too many lunches."

"I have it covered."


The two women ignored me at lunch. I had a client waiting when we returned to the agency. This client had made an appointment to see a particular piece of property. He was a very large man. He would not fit into my vehicle. We had to use his. This made me think I would have to get a roomier car in the near future. Dick Johnson had made sure that we could view the property so I directed my client there. He was not interested.

I had had just enough time to look up some property of a like kind and price from the Multiple Listing Service before we had left the agency. I did not have an appointment to show, but I did have the fact sheets. We could do a drive by and I could give him the stats from the sheets. He could then tell me if he was interested enough to want to see the interiors.

The prospective buyer did not care for the one he made an appointment to see. I called Dick to see if he could reach the property owner of one property in which my buyer might be interested. Dick called me back while we were having coffee in a small coffee shop.

"The owner will let us in if we get there in fifteen minutes. The listing agent will be there as well. Let's go." My client was interested enough to make an offer. The situation moved fast as the owner was right there, but rejected the first offer. My client raised it incrementally and the two finally settled for five percent under the asking price. My client was happy and the owner got just a little above his lowest figure he would have settled for.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.