Invasion - Cover

Invasion

Copyright© 2012 by 2 flags

Chapter 27

Tony continued his report.

We sailed into Bridgetown after a safe if uncomfortable crossing. The seas had been rough, but at least there had been no severe storms. Seasickness had been a problem among the passengers but at last we had arrived in Bridgetown.

We had a surprise when we got there as the port was packed. There were ships everywhere. We finally managed to dock and unload everyone. It seems that the news of our liberating Belariak had spread like wildfire. Ships had come from all over to be reunited with their loved ones. We had at a stroke removed the Brotherhood's control of their navy. The merchant mariners had, at a stroke, regained their freedom. They could now choose where and when to travel and what cargo they carry. They were again free agents.

Two of them, however, were interested to hear of the arrangement Admiral Peters had with you, King Tom. Next time they get into port they would like to speak with either you or whoever is in charge, as it does seem to remove some of the risk from pirates. If the pirates do take the ship, they gain nothing by killing the captain as the ship is still owned by the king!

We arrived to a hero's welcome. People lined the streets and cheered as we moved through the streets. Scenes and tears of joy were everywhere as families were reunited. One after another our fellow travellers melted away to join their loved ones. It was a really happy time!

We headed towards the town square where Joshua had arranged a reception for us. He welcomed us and speeches were delivered. We were there for what seemed like hours, as one person after another came up and thanked us for what we had achieved. I must say that I have never seen either the place or the people looking better. They are now a well-fed, prosperous looking folk. The streets are clean and the people are clean. It must be the sweetest-smelling town throughout all Chaos!

After the reception, we returned to the palace. Philipmina welcomed us there and already had rooms prepared.

"I see you have had some fun out there," she said, as we all trooped into the entrance hall. "And who's this you've brought with you?"

"'Allow me to present Lieutenant Hugh Blackstaff and his lovely companion, Adrianna. We found them a little, err, tied up as you might say. They were in Belariak when we freed it. I must say, though, we did have fun. I think we've stirred up a hornet's nest there. I think it will cause the Brotherhood so many problems that I don't honestly think that they will recover. I think that their time here is over."

Aurora arrived and joined the party. She was introduced to Adrianna and Hugh. Adrianna had already laid claim to Hugh, and she clung even closer to him that evening. They had been close before we left Belariak but now they were even closer.

Philipmina told us what had happened after you sent Rolof and Captain Simon off to Dampford, and how they had sent back a message. The message read, "Have reached Dampford, come quick." She then said that you had assembled the men as soon as you could and left. Rolof and Captain Simon reported that a message had just been received from you: you needed supplies. They were in the process of putting a relief column together but were concerned about leaving themselves short. When we reported the supplies we had brought, they were ecstatic.

As the evening wore on I again encountered Charlith, the championI had defeated when we first arrived. He still had a slight limp, but putting him in charge of training was a masterstroke. He really thinks the sun shines out of your arse, and his loyalty to Joshua and the people of Bridgetown is unquestionable. He has done a first-class job of training the militia. Those men are more than capable of defending the town.

We had a long talk about where he had learnt his skills. It seems that when he was a young man he had spent a few years working as a caravan guard. It was there that he learned how to fight. He was good, and he took every opportunity to train with anyone and everyone to the extent that he simply became the best at his craft. He learned tactics from the wagonmasters, weapons techniques from the senior guards, and skills from wrestlers and prize fighters. Anyone and everyone who could teach him, he learned from. He did that until he met his wife, Loritia. After that, he gave up travelling, and settled here.

I also spent time with Aurora. She is overjoyed that you put her in charge of the project. She tells me that the main sewer works are now complete. The main job now is connecting up the side streets.

She really is a most beautiful woman. I can see why you found her so irresistible. As the evening wore on, I found myself becoming more and more attracted to her, and she to me. I must say during the time we spent there we did become rather close. I am looking forward to accompanying her back to Crossroads.

Philipmina said to tell you that your fortune has increasing every day. She has told us that the farm is set to produce a record harvest. With all the improvements we have made in agriculture — helped in no small part by my machines, may I add — we are looking at a record harvest.

I have seen the figures for the sales of the machines as well. I must say I shall never want for money here again. The factory is working at full capacity and is searching for more workers. In fact, there are more jobs at the moment than people!

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.