Crisis at Ishtar - Cover

Crisis at Ishtar

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Joyal

Chapter 45: Old Friends Spark New Feuds

In the command post, everyone continued their frantic work to help save the ships and their crews. I could hear Ulla and Tiffany talking with Captain Travis and Captain Gates. Ulla was a bit confused at one point, but Tiffany's quiet confidence kept her at her post.

James had finally dragged Janice and me over to a padded chair. He flopped into the chair and I quickly pushed Janice into his lap. My sister concubine quietly held on to our master. I was looking around for another chair when Yvette strode into the command post.

She had a frown on her face, and the crease on her forehead showed a great deal of worry. Tamara and Tiffany called out to her, but she ignored their cries and walked up to James. "What do we do about Brad?" she spat out.

James waved at Timothy. The man was kneeling next to Veronica, offering support to his concubine. It took a few moments, but the man noticed James and walked over. "Yes James?"

"Can you go and find Terrence?" James asked. "I have a question for him, but I don't want to announce it to the whole colony."

Timothy nodded and then dashed from the command post. Yvette watched him go and then turned back to glare at James. "That doesn't solve a thing! What are we going to do..."

James pointedly turned away from Yvette and put a hand on my head. I looked up at him. "Little one," he said with a smile. "Do you think you can use the transporter to send Terrence to our visitor transporter room and then to transport Brad back here?"

Yvette gasped as I sat there in shock. I was trying to find the right words to say when Yvette pushed Janice away and threw her arms around James. She gave him a hard kiss on the lips. "You cad! You fiend!" she cried out. "You'll snatch Brad away and prevent our governor from doing a thing to him. I should have known you'd have a plan."

James burnished the fingernails of his right arm on his uniform sleeve. "I told you Yvette, I've got an angle," he replied in a bass monotone.

Janice and I burst into giggles as Yvette leaned away from James. She had a puzzled look on her face.

"Should we tell her?" Janice asked.

"No," I whispered back. "It's more fun this way."

Janice jumped back into James lap. "So master..." she began. "What other tricks are you hiding up your sleeve?"

"Private Rabb!" Colonel Johanes voice rang out. "Can you explain what your people are doing? It seems that despite your claim that this planet is here to fix broken ships, there are still three in the system and none are being repaired."

James shook his head. "Rome wasn't built in a day, and ships aren't repaired instantly. We have to have the ship at the repair docks first. Cancun has power and should arrive at Astarte soon. Xavier has already worked with the AI to review the scans. We'll begin repairs as soon as the ship is docked. But the other two ships have had engine failures so we have to use remote tugs to bring them in for repairs. That takes some time. Cabo should be in the dock in another half hour or so. I can't give you a time estimate on Pebble Beach. We are still waiting for Alexis to come back from her first trip over there. The ship has no working communications and hasn't given us a report."

"But earlier you said you knew it had gravity fluctuations! How can you learn that with no working communications?" Colonel Johanes snapped back.

"A little trick that was developed some time ago," Tiffany answered. "The transmitter that broadcasts as ship's IFF can be used to transmit a verbal message. Captain Toms used that and we picked it up."

"You did what?" Major Bonham shouted. "Why in the world would you pick that up?"

"That's part of why Admiral Himmel likes us," Yvette called out. "Our training might not meet your standards, but we are experts at what we do. When a damaged ship arrives, we do everything we can to fix it. So far, we've only had one ship we couldn't fix enough to allow it to jump back to Borneo."

"I still need to discipline that one citizen of yours. He assaulted a marine and must be punished," Colonel Johanes snapped.

"We still need him where he is," James said. "Major Bonham already made it clear that he has no troops with the training to replace him."

There was a moment of silence. James shook his head again. He was raising his right hand to his face when Terrence burst into the room.

"You needed me?" he asked.

James stopped his hand. He lowered it back to the armrest of the chair and looked at Terrence. "Yes. Brad has gotten in some trouble with the marines and I want to make sure he isn't arrested. What I thought of was that we'll have Meiko use the old transporter room to send you to our main transporter room and then you can teleport Brad out."

"Won't they notice and try to stop me?" Terrence asked.

Yvette snorted. "Are the marines smart enough? I heard tales that jarheads were less than intelligent. I always thought they were exaggerated, but these guys seem to prove the tales."

James shrugged. "Just make the switch quickly. And let the concubines there know that we can get them out the same way if we need to. Meiko knows how to do a transporter room draw."

Terrence looked at me. "We've only done that once before. Are you sure you could pull it off?"

I blushed. Janice jumped out of James' lap to give me a comforting hug. "I can," I whispered. "I've completed more than a dozen in simulations. And..." I paused.

I looked up at James. "I wouldn't really have to perform a draw will I?" I noted.

"What?" Terrence asked.

James laughed. "I didn't know she had guessed that. She's right. Both units can be run from the old station. Yvette suggested that a long time ago, but I wasn't sure Meiko was aware of that fact."

"I wasn't!" I snapped. "It made sense though. You've put all the controls you can on this side of the colony."

"If only we could turn off the air on that side," Janice whispered.

James reached out to smack Janice in the back of the head. "Don't think things like that," he hissed. "Our visitors might be barely human, but they are still citizens and we need to remember that."

Everyone sighed. Terrence smiled as my sister concubine rubbed the back of her head. "Let's do it," he said. "I wouldn't want any of us in the hands of that Colonel. He's definitely interested in the artifacts, but there seems to be another game being played."

"Any idea what it might be?" Yvette asked. "What did he reveal when you were his assistant?"

"That's just it. He was definitely interested in the artifacts, but he asked far too many questions about the colony and the people here," Terrence said. "He wasn't saying much either. His assistants seemed to be thinking that they might be transferring to a new research station in the future. One mentioned that Ishtar might be where that station will be."

"Now we have a motive," James sighed. "If our good Colonel can prove his research and make it seem like the colony is running smoothly he just might get promoted and end up in charge of a new research station on the planet."

"I'm betting he had no idea of how dangerous things are here," Yvette said. "But why would he not bring his concubines, and why the paperwork making him acting governor?"

"Politics," Bethany said as she joined us.

"What?" Janice said. "We don't have political parties anymore. What do you mean politics? It's not like the governor is an elected position."

"True," Bethany replied with a shrug. She reached down to pull me to my feet. "In the Confederacy, a governor is more like a viceroy from the age of sail. They are appointed to serve as the administrator of some place far from the center of government and then have complete control of the place they are given. However, in this case the problem is compounded because Admiral Himmel is the local viceroy. He should be the one to appoint a governor, not Central Command. So I expect the idea was to set it up so that Admiral Himmel had to accept the decision."

I nodded. "That makes sense. I'd love to hear more, but I should get the transporter panel up."

I started to walk from the room. Terrence and Bethany immediately joined me as I exited the command post and turned to walk down the hall. Neither said a thing as we made our way to the transporter room. But as we neared the door, Terrence stepped in front of Bethany and me.

"Thanks for doing this," he said.

Bethany giggled. "Why would we refuse such a reasonable request?"

"Because it's not your responsibility," Terrence commented. "We all understood that once you were off Earth, you were property with no rights or duties."

"Besides making sure that James is sexually satisfied," I observed. "Of course we understand that it's not our responsibility, but we see it as another way to help our master. And when he receives lots of help, he has more time to..." I stopped talking.

Bethany laughed as we stepped through the doorway to the transporter room. She pulled me over to the control panel and then hugged me from behind. "You're just as randy as me," she whispered in my ear.

Terrence ignored our play and walked over to the pad. The panel was still cycling up when the speakers started to squawk again.

"James," Brad called out. "I've got Alexis back from her first run. She brought out two citizens."

"Good," I heard my master reply. "I was beginning to wonder what was taking so long."

We could hear someone taking deep, rasping breaths. The person coughed loudly and then took one more breath. "I was trying to find everyone and bring in the worst injured," Alexis said with a strained gasp.

"Alexis! How bad are things?" James asked.

"The engineering lieutenant must have pushed everyone out of the engine room before the leak. Of the twenty-eight crew, I found twenty-five alive. All the concubines are alive as well. All will need time in a medical pod. Everyone has broken bones," Alexis said. She sounded like she had just finished running a marathon.

"Private!" Major Bonham called out. "We have additional marines here! Why don't you wait and I'll send some with you."

"We have no time for someone to get into armor," Alexis said. "And with the current situation with the artificial gravity, anyone in there without armor will end up injured."

"What's it like?" Brad asked.

"Heavy," Alexis said. "The gravity in most areas is more than twice normal. Worse, it changes direction every five to seven minutes. If I wasn't wearing armor, I would have been getting bounced around. Fortunately, my boots can stick to the floor so I wasn't getting thrown around by the gravity changes."

"Do what you can," James said. "But you need to get more than fifty people off, are you sure you don't want help."

"I can't just wait. Some of the crew appear to have internal injuries. Several were having trouble breathing. I should get back right now," Alexis said.

"Go," James said.

I stood at the transporter controls. On one small screen I could see the power flow as Brad sent Alexis to the stricken ship to save more of the crew. The system quickly went into standby mode.

"Time to go," I called out to Terrence. He walked to the pad as I seized control of the unit and sent him to our main transporter room. The instant he was gone, I released my control so that Alexis could return if she needed to.

"And now we wait," Bethany said to me. Her arms remained around my neck as she rubbed her breasts against my back.

"Meiko," I heard James call out. "We need to bring the ship captains over for a briefing. Coordinate with Terrence on that please."

"Can do," Terrence replied. "I'll make sure it gets completed. Right now we're waiting for Alexis to return."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.