Crisis at Ishtar - Cover

Crisis at Ishtar

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Joyal

Chapter 15: Lessons from a Model Citizen

"Bit of a walk isn't it?" Tanya said with a smile.

"It's outside the citizen zone," I admitted. "But you had wounded so we teleported you in at our command post. I'm not sure we have a teleport near here yet. This is new."

"Will all my crew be here?" Tanya asked.

"Probably not," I said. "The walking wounded you had were directed to one of the rooms we have near our medical center. If there are free pods they'll rotate the people through."

Tanya nodded. "On that note, how are Maxine and the rest of my injured crew?"

"AI, can you pass that question on to whoever is on duty in medical?" I called out.

I heard Bren speak up. "I don't know ranks. Robert, Clifford and Vlad will all be out of medical in the next two hours. Sara had some lung damage that the pod is working through, she'll be in a pod for six more hours. Dennis is going to take ten hours, and he'll need to rehab the shoulder. The pod will repair it, but he's going to need to convince his mind that it isn't hurt."

"And Maxine?" Tanya asked.

Bren gave a tremendous sigh. "Forty hours. Twelve to stabilize her. After that we can transfer her to the medpods on Freya if you want to leave. She's got massive internal injuries and her back was broken in four places. The pods have to rebuild her spinal cord. She's going to require a lot of emotional support. Does she have a concubine with her?"

"No," Tanya said. "She asked her male concubine to stay at the pod during this first tour."

Este nodded. "I'll talk to the concubines we have with us. I'm sure a couple can offer her some support while she recovers."

The officers of Freya smiled. They filed past Tanya and me and disappeared into the pod. I was turning to head home when Tanya spoke. "You're jealous of me aren't you?"

I thought for a moment. There was no question that she was beautiful, but I remembered the briefing I had just seen. Her officers clearly had a lot of respect for her. They listened intently and obeyed her commands. To my surprise I found my head shaking to show I disagreed with her sentiment.

"I think you are one of the most beautiful women I've ever met," I admitted. "But I belong to James. And I know he loves me."

I started to walk away. I heard footsteps on the corridor floor and a gentle hand touched my shoulder. "Wait, please," Tanya said. "Can you explain that to me? I've seen very few concubines who don't envy citizens. How is it that you don't?"

My mind whirled. I desperately tried to put together the right words to explain my feelings. Nothing I thought of seemed adequate. Finally I reached up to touch Tanya's hand. "I can't explain it. Follow me, perhaps if you see it, you'll understand."

I led Tanya back the way we came. The speakers had been silent since the earlier fight and I tried to guess where James might be. I took a bit of a chance and headed to the multi-use hall first. James was not there, but I could see several concubines resting on cots. Tanya recognized a couple because she stepped past me to talk to them.

As Tanya stepped away I scanned the room. Ed and Gina were both there treating the concubines. I noticed that Gina had her concubine Michael assisting. Ed appeared to be working alone, but then Lindsay stood up from behind the concubine he had been looking at. She had a loose bundle of bandages in her hands. She looked over at me to wave and then froze.

"Tanya!" she cried out, dropping the bandages and putting her hands over her mouth.

Tanya's head whipped around. I could see her eyes widen in surprise as she saw Ishtar's resident model standing there. "Lindsay? My god, I heard you vanished from Miami over a year ago. How did you end up here?"

"I belong to Donna," Lindsay cried back as she stepped around the cot and approached Tanya. "From your outfit, I'm guessing you had the CAP to volunteer."

Tanya laughed. "Yes, for my sins I'm the commander of Freya. But when did you learn medicine?"

Lindsay spun around smiling. "Oh, I needed something to do while I became fat and slow with my first baby. Besides, Donna is the unofficial head of our medical department and I wanted to help her."

"Donna is a doctor?" Tanya asked.

I covered my mouth to hide a giggle. Gina failed and burst out laughing. Lindsay just smiled brighter. "No, or at least she was only a clerk for one of the advertising agencies back on Earth. She just volunteered for the position and grew into it."

Tanya looked at Lindsay and then looked back at me. "I'm getting confused here," she said. "The concubines on this planet are way too outgoing. I feel like I'm no longer in the Confederacy."

Lindsay erupted in girlish giggles. "Oh, we're part of the Confederacy. But we definitely are our own little pocket of the universe. And we have very good owners."

Gina looked up. "I'm going to tell Donna that you called her an owner."

Lindsay just stuck her tongue out at Gina. Then we heard Donna speak from the doorway. "Is Lindsay suggesting that I sell her? I guess there just might be a good market for a slightly used supermodel."

I whirled as Lindsay ran over to throw her arms around Donna. "My love! My reason for living!" Lindsay screamed as she covered Donna's face with kisses.

Tanya stood up and walked closer to Donna. She had a puzzled expression on her face that turned into a deep frown as she noticed Donna's protruding belly. "You're Donna? The one who went into space and helped save Maxine?"

Donna laughed as she fought off Lindsay's playful kisses. "That would be me. I'm kind of the head of the human part of the Ishtar repair shop."

Tanya pointedly looked down. "If I was listening to the communications right, you went into space to help my gunner. You're pregnant!"

Donna laughed. "Five months and very happy. But someone had to go, and I was the most qualified for the trip. The Confed space suits provide plenty of protection for a short trip like that. You must not have heard the AI tell me that after I protested."

"Why are you even on duty?" Tanya asked.

"Because there are only twenty-two citizens on the planet," Ed responded. "We don't have the luxury of putting anyone on a full leave right now."

Tanya looked around. I saw her eyes widen when she noticed Gina's outfit and bulging belly. She then looked at me. "Your concubines aren't pregnant, but the citizens are?"

I blushed. Lindsay just laughed. "I just gave birth two months ago, as did just about every concubine on the planet. My child just happens to be resting in the nursery right now. If there is a problem, my sister concubine will let me know, she's on baby watch," the former model chirped.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.