Crisis at Ishtar
Chapter 14: Another Aftermath

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Joyal

James shook his head and looked up. "Terrence, start bringing all the injured from Freya over. Coordinate with their staff and bring the hurt ones over when gurneys are available. Let's get them medical attention quickly."

"We're already on it," Donna said. "David, Elle and Robert are standing by with gurneys. Lindsay and Ed have headed to our multi-use room and are going to set up to treat the non-critical cases there. Craig and Tom are setting things up there."

"Maggie has the teleport pod halfway there. Donna are you suited up?" Tamara called out.

"I feel like I'm some kind of sausage," Donna grumbled. "You'd think the Confederacy could make a suit that wasn't so stiff. And you do remember that I'm pregnant don't you?"

"Confederacy space suits are designed to be resistant to space debris impacts and radiation. The thickness is required to increase the suit's resistance to tears and punctures," the AI said. "The suit will protect your unborn child while you perform your duties."

Donna gave a cheerful raspberry as everyone in the command post laughed at the AI response. My master quickly regained control and looked at the monitors. "Tamara, what's the damage look like?"

"We need Xavier to confirm, but my scans show mostly light damage. The power grid for the mobile beam cannons has four breaches. We do have the spares for that. I don't have a full count on damage to the cannons, but they reported eleven as destroyed. We only have five spares in stock. I can't say on how many of the damaged ones we can fully repair either. It depends on the damage," Tamara replied.

"Commander, what's your crew status?" James asked.

"We have the four dead gunners you know about. We lost six other ratings on the ship and one concubine. I haven't seen everyone, but we have all four of our medical pods filled and will have sent you six critically injured crew as well. There are many minor injuries that should be treated if you can. I also have twelve of the twenty concubines on the ship injured."

"You only had twenty crew?" Terrence asked.

"No," the commander replied with her smoky laugh. "Most of my crew came out on the Princess Victoria just three months ago. That limits which concubines you can bring, since pregnant females are not allowed."

Just then the voice of the lead gunner spoke up. "Commander, all Vanir and Aesir guns have embarked through the bow elevator. The stern elevator is operational and all Thanes are aboard. I'm staying with Jarl three and Vincent's recovery team. The rest of Jarl squad is cycling the elevator now."

"Good job Este. You'll be happy to know that Paulo is fine," the commander said. "He's currently helping in medical."

"I knew he was more than just a dumb basketball player," Este replied. "We do need to decide who to promote to Thane one."

"Amy," the commander replied immediately. "Move her from Aesir three."

There was a short pause. "I'll let her know once I'm inside," Este replied.

The command center was quiet. Tamara and Tiffany had moved their chairs together and were conducting a whispered conversation. I looked over at James who was heading to the alcove we used for the system defense weapons when the voice of Admiral Himmel rang out. "James! I hear you have a visitor."

"We had three, but they didn't get along too well," James quipped. "I do have to say I'm impressed with your crew this time."

"I'm thinking I need to give Captain Walker a promotion," the admiral said with a chuckle.

"Never!" the silky voice growled out. "I'm where I belong."

The admiral sighed loudly over the communications system. "James, this one takes after you. Throws down demands I'd be a fool to refuse. And it's similar to your usual ones. Just let her do her job."

"I like my ship," the woman said. "Your only promotions would be to a Hero class, a carrier or flag officer. I'd be lousy in those positions."

James laughed. "Admiral, is it just me or do all the Goddess class ships have ladies in command?"

Admiral Himmel laughed. "No comment. Meanwhile, what's the damage and casualties?"

"Four dead in my gun crews, six on the ship. Twenty wounded, ten critical. We have one gunball still to retrieve, and two crews. Damage assessment is ongoing," the commander said.

"We'll turn her in a day," Xavier reported. "She'll be down ten gunballs though. We can't repair all of the ones that took hits. Admiral, when will we receive more spares?"

"A Stagecoach class freighter is supposed to be on its way to you," Admiral Himmel said. "Do your usual good work on Freya. Morrigan and Andrew Jackson are still at Moreton. I can't have one of the few capital ships in the district down right now."

"Bad damage?" James asked.

"Crew training," Admiral Himmel said with a huff. "Morrigan lost her entire gun crew at Wolf three-six-seven and training a new crew has been spotty. For the Jackson we just aren't having much luck training pilots. I'd love another shipment of citizens."

"What should we do tomorrow after repairs?" the commander asked?"

"Make a run to Moreton to get replacement gunballs and crew. After that, resume your standard patrol. How was the Wolf system when you visited?" Admiral Himmel replied.

"The Sa'arm have three of their colony spheres on the planet. They appear to be trying to strip the planet of heavy metals as quickly as possible. We managed to get in fairly close and even take some shots at their transfer setups," the commander replied.

"You take any damage?"

"None," was the reply. "Most of the defensive fire we faced was small missile salvos. My people kept those from hitting the ship. We did see one weapon that could cause trouble."

"What did you see?"

"The Sa'arm laced some areas with hundreds of spheres. The spheres are about the size of one of those inflatable balls you find at the beach. One of our probes got too close to one and then the ball it was investigating blew up. It has a core of high-powered explosive surrounded by marble sized heavy metal balls. If one of those blows up near a Goddess, the balls will rip through gunball armor."

"It would also kill any fighter that got too close," Xavier said. "I've checked the specs on our fighters and their particle shields can't stand a sustained pounding of any power. They are only there to stop space dust."

"I'll alert all captains," Admiral Himmel said. "James, take care of my people."

"Can do," James replied. "We're just waiting for them to reach our repair docks."

Just then Maggie called out. "I have the teleport pod at the beacon. Donna are you ready?"

"No," Donna replied in a quavering voice. "I'm definitely not emotionally ready for this. But I'm suited up and at our teleport. Terrence, let's get this over with."

"All I see is an airlock-like cylinder with small thruster engines," Este said. "Jesus Christ and Mother Mary! Now I understand. I see your medic. She's at Maxine's pod and waving to our damage control team."

"James, Shawna," Donna said breathlessly a moment later. "Vincent underestimated the damage. The back of Maxine's suit has been compromised. The only reason she isn't dead is that the broken sections welded to her chair when the gun overloaded. It looks like the same action closed up her wounds, but when we cut her free, she'll start bleeding heavily. There is no way she'll last more than thirty seconds without a pod."

James nodded. "Ed, bring one of our maternity gurneys. It's not a full pod, but I remember the specs and it should give us some extra time. Everyone clear a path between teleport and medical. David, Tyson, get to medical, we're going to need strong arms to move this Maxine to a medical pod."

James dashed from the room. I started to follow, but Tamara grabbed me and kept me in the command center. "No, he'll need no distractions."

Every part of my being wanted to follow my master out of the chamber, but I stood in the doorway, looking towards the teleport room. Ed dashed past me, pushing a gurney. By the lights on the side I guessed it was the maternity gurney James wanted.

"Donna, are the damage control crew ready to cut, and how quickly can you get Maxine into the teleport?" James' voice rang out over the speaker.

"They are, and I've had them pull the teleport pod as close as possible. We've done a pantomime of how this will go and we might pull it off in fifteen seconds," Donna said.

"I'm keeping the pad hot," Terrence called out. "The instant Maxine's body touches the pad it will activate and teleport her here."

"I'm in position with the gurney. James and I will catch Maxine as she arrives," Ed said. "Donna, you have to make the call to start."

There was a long pause. I glanced over at Tiffany and could see her twitching toward the communications controls. Her hand was reaching for a button when Donna spoke again.

"We're set and going in three ... two ... now! Spears are cut, back cutting going."

There was a moan of fear and anguish. Donna ignored the interruption. "She's free! Teleporting now!"

"Got her," Ed screamed out. "Oh god! How is she still alive! Shawna, get the pod open. Stat!"

James burst from the teleport room just one door down. He was pulling a gurney and Ed was pushing it. They ran as they drove the gurney down the hallway. It emitted a mournful wail as it passed by the command center.

I tried to get a good look at the passenger. The suit she wore was blackened and hid her face and figure. James and Ed had thrown her onto the gurney with her back down. I wondered why until I noticed the two thick pole stubs sticking out of her stomach. I covered my mouth as bile rose from my stomach.

"That poor girl," Kitty said beside me. She must have snuck up while I was listening to the communications.

I was about to turn back when Donna emerged from the teleport room. She was wearing a silvery version of the Confed uniform and holding a domed helmet under her arm. She saw us gazing out of the command post and shook her head.

"You can follow James now," she told us. "He just needed the hallways clear to get the gurney through."

"Will Maxine recover?" Kitty asked, gazing down the hall in the direction the gurney had gone.

"If they can get her in a pod fast enough, she should recover," Donna said. "Confed medical tech is very good, and from what I could see Maxine hadn't lost any limbs. My worry was the bloodloss."

"She's going to make it," I heard Shawna say. "But someone better come in and mop the floor in my medical office. There's blood everywhere."

There was a moment of silence. I gave silent thanks that Maxine had survived her experience.

"Concubine Marina is requesting the replicators produce a mop. Such a device is not required as Confed pods are self-cleaning. Citizen Shawna do you wish your concubine to have this item?" the AI called out tonelessly.

Laughter rang out in the command center at this. I was about to leave when James appeared in the hallway, walking back to the command center. I ran to him and threw my arms around him.

He hugged me back with his left hand, using his right to hug Kitty. "Heroes love welcomes like this," he said. "Only I'm not a hero today."

"You're my hero every day," I whispered as I kissed his cheek.

James laughed at this as he stepped into the command center. Unlike the previous times I'd been here to watch ships arrive, the atmosphere was serenely calm. Tamara and Tiffany were now quietly calling out vectoring information as Freya coasted to a stop near Astarte.

"You can kill your engines," Tiffany said about an hour later. "The drydock will tractor your ship in."

"Very professional. Thank you," was the reply. I noticed that this was a male voice. "I've been asked to inquire as to shore leave for the crew."

Tiffany looked over at James who smiled and waved for her to speak. She spun her chair around biting her lip and then nodded. "Ishtar welcomes officers and crew on shore leave. Bringing concubines is recommended. Please note that we do not have free concubines, permission must be asked before accosting one of the concubines on the planet. We do ask that concubines are shown respect at all times."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.