Crisis at Ishtar - Cover

Crisis at Ishtar

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Joyal

Chapter 3: A Worrying Call

The next week passed quietly. Janice did manage to get a flute for me as well as a basic instruction book, but my first attempts were painful to listen to, I took to retreating to the upper level of our pod when James was out working when I wanted to practice. The news that the idea of a musical had been enthusiastically if quietly accepted by the others spurred me to try harder. I knew I wanted to be part of the show.

James was becoming busier though. When we first noticed it, he told us that some of the citizens had come up with an idea to use some of the shipyard facilities to build small probes that could jump to nearby systems and map them. The hope was to eventually land probes on some planets if they found any which the Sa'arm had not reached yet.

One night as we gathered for dinner, Janice thought to ask why the colony was working on sending out probes. James frowned thoughtfully for a moment and then spoke. "It's something that Admiral Himmel mentioned in passing. He noted that the Sa'arm in this area are using weapons that have not appeared close to Earth and that the local enemy ships have improved anti-missile defenses. Terrence thinks that the Sa'arm found a dead civilization near here."

Bethany nodded. "You're hoping you can find some evidence of the civilization and that the Confederacy can use that."

James nodded. "Exactly. We need to explore every possible solution and stratagem to halt the advance of the Sa'arm."

Kitty shivered. "Are we safe here?"

James looked concerned. "We are doing all we can to make sure we are, but I can't promise anything. The Sa'arm are still very active in this area."

I smiled and gave my master a hug. "We know you'll protect us." I whispered.

My sisters started to add their support to mine when the AI chimed. We immediately backed away slightly and allowed James a moment to breathe. "Go ahead," he said quietly.

"Governor," the AI said in its usual emotionless voice. "There is a call for you and Vice-Governor Yvette. Can you take it?"

My master sighed and put an arm around me. "Tell Yvette that I'll meet her at the command post, we can take the call in the briefing room. It's easier to access our records and files there. Meiko, do you want to come along."

"Why her?" Brittany asked.

James' arms relaxed and he moved quickly to gather Brittany up in a tight hug. "I'm sorry Brit," he whispered as he covered her lips with his own. His free hand descended to tease her breasts. She struggled for a moment before slumping in her chair. As she did James ended the kiss. "Because it's her turn," he said quietly. "Now since it's clear you need some loving, I think Tina and Bethany should see if they can help you."

My sister concubines giggled and gathered up Brit before she could think to protest. Bethany smiled. "Don't worry my love. We'll just prime her and excite her so you can take her to heaven tonight. We all know you want to."

James laughed as he put his arm around me again. "Tonight, tomorrow and forever. I never want one of you to feel unhappy or unloved. Sadly, there is only one of me and I do have to help keep this place running, so I must be off."

He then guided me from the pod. Behind us I could hear shrill giggles coming from Brittany. It was clear that Tina and Bethany were working to keep their promise and I tightened my arms around his waist as we walked.

"Wish you were back there?" James asked as we entered the tunnels.

"Yes," I whispered. "But only because being with them reminds us all of how much we love you."

James laughed. "I'll never understand that, but it's nice to hear I mean so much to you."

We made the rest of the walk in silence. As with the past few weeks, there were few people walking the hallways. The walk was uncomfortable for me as my ankles continued to protest the additional weight of my pregnancy. We moved rather quickly though and soon were at the command post where we found the twins watching the screens. Tamara turned and waved as we walked in.

"I know we're here quite a bit recently, but with all the women pregnant and uncomfortable we thought we'd take some of the pressure off of them," Tamara said.

James nodded. "I can understand. Now I better take the call. Is Yvette here?"

"Inside," Tiffany said, pointing to the briefing room.

James led me inside. As soon as we were inside he guided me to a chair and helped me sit before kneeling down to rub my feet and ankles. He was still kneeling when we heard a giggle. Right then Yvette's voice spoke. "I see I'm not the only one who dotes on concubines."

James stood up as I turned the chair. Yvette was standing next to a chair containing her concubine Esther. Esther was blushing slightly.

"Hello, Yvette," James said. "Shall we take this call?"

Yvette nodded and stepped around Esther to sit in a chair. "AI, please let the call come through."

A moment later we heard the ping of the call connecting. Immediately Admiral Himmel's voice rang out. "It's about time. What were you doing when I called? Or do I not want to know?"

Esther giggled. "Just sitting down and eating dinner," she said.

"Who's that? Don't tell me you have more new people there. I thought you brought in the last ones two months ago!" Admiral Himmel barked.

Yvette put a hand on Esther's arm. "Sorry, Admiral. Meet my concubine Esther. I forgot that she doesn't come to the command post so you had not heard her voice before. I brought her along for some..."

James jumped in. "Bonding time?"

The Admiral sniffed loudly. "You and your traditions about treating concubines well. Although I have to admit all the stories I hear say you have happy and capable concubines."

"Happy is an understatement," I said quietly.

"Another concubine?" The Admiral responded.

"Yes," James replied. "However, I don't think you called about that."

"No, I didn't. But I still find it interesting to talk to your concubines or to hear about them. No other planet I hear about is like yours and while your Tradition is unorthodox, it's working and I do want to know why. However, I should get to the reason I called."

Yvette was nodding. "Yes, I'm sure you are very busy."

I was surprised for Admiral Himmel's response was a bark of laughter. "Busy! You don't know how much of an understatement that is. I envy the peace you get on Ishtar. Still we aren't here for a fun conversation. What's happening is a change in our offensive plans for the sector, and it's going to affect you. Also, I have some less than happy news to pass on."

James heaved a great sigh and spoke. "Let's go with the less than happy news first. Might as well get the pain over with."

"I wish it was that easy," Admiral Himmel replied. "I don't think I ever told you, but General Montgomery and I sent an investigator to Earth after we discovered the existence of your little band of renegades. The overall results of the investigation did not affect you, so I never spoke about it."

Yvette and James both started laughing. I was twisting my body to look at James when he took a deep breath and gasped out. "Let me guess, someone decided that it would be best just to prevent any additional Ishtars from being created and then ordered that our enclave be ignored."

"Almost," the Admiral admitted. "There was a shake up in Central Command after the investigation revealed how your colony was set up. You are not quite right about how they decided to treat you though. I guess the initial decision was to ignore you, but stories about your planet have started to filter back to Earth."

"What stories?" Yvette asked.

"I wonder when I'll be getting my rabbit," the Admiral replied, his tone playful. I cringed at this, but Esther started to giggle.

"You don't mean that..." she said.

I could see Yvette and James smiling. Just then the Admiral replied. "Exactly. Tales that some colony has rabbits and will trade them for goods like seeds and such have made it to Earth. The marines on the pickup teams now know and the rumor that a ship might be sending people to this part of the Confederacy makes it very popular with the teams. Most of my ships have multiple crewmen with seeds and such. A mission that might take them near Ishtar is almost guaranteed to bring them to your planet."

James actually gave me a hug. "Wonderful, but how is that bad news?"

We all heard the long sigh from Admiral Himmel. "Because it meant that Central Command couldn't keep the story of your colony secret. They have kept the reality from getting out, but I'm receiving a lot of pressure to bring your colony under my direct control. I get a feeling that if I do, they'll then demand that I transfer control to someone from Central Command."

I stiffened in fear, but James laughed. "Interesting, but not going to happen. We might not be safe here, but I can assure you that we are very happy. Just make sure we get more supplies occasionally since we don't have the heavy replicators needed to make some of the ship parts we're expected to install, and we'll keep the navy in the fight."

Chapter 4 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.