The Mission - Cover

The Mission

Copyright© 2012 by Lapi

Chapter 11

My thanks to Sagacious and another SOL favourite for Editing and proofing this Chapter

The Dutch it seemed were the largest supplier of blondes in the world. One had to wonder who was protecting this trafficking of slaves.

Our third club was soon to open, perhaps we would find out.

This next segment is an extract from my story, A Return to Greatness, you can skip over it, if you wish; it retells how the Odessa money got even greater, and became a series of treasures.

More of the regular story is included in later chapters.

Nestled in a mountain of paper, files and folders scattered throughout his office, Field Marshall Hendrick Von Tempke brought his hands up to his face, ran them up over his short thin hair on his head, then decidedly flipped a lever on the interfone unit, calling his aide to him.

He said, "Rutger, would you call Colonel Krieger to my office, immediately. When he arrives, bring him to me in my private conference room. See that we are not disturbed, no matter what or who calls! Danke."

"Jawhol Herr Field Marshall," he clicked his heels, did a raised hand salute, and exited the office.

Thinks were going badly in the war, very badly indeed. The plans he had made were really something that was against everything he was raised to believe. His family had served in the Prussian army since a time before Fredrick the Great, and had supported the German efforts in every major war effort. If it had not been for his granddaughter, he would never have even considered the implied support that the group of senior officers had offered him. He would have had them all executed. Now he realized, as back then also, that things were not to be as planned. If the Reich was to survive, it would take many years, and huge amounts of support.

Kurt Krieger entered the bunker, and reported to Major Von Alstine.

"Follow me, Colonel," he said.

As the two men went to the conference room, Kurt checked and rechecked his appearance. Upon entering, both men stood at attention.

"Colonel Krieger is here, Herr Field Marshall," he then turned to exit.

"Rutger, stay," said the old man. "Close the door, and both of you be seated."

Rutger had been a friend for many years. His family had been friends of the Von Tempke family, for nearly three hundred years. Both were Prussian, both had served their country, and both now were faced with a decision that was a last ditch effort to save their beloved homeland. Kurt had only recently become friends with the two men. His recent promotions and key assignments were, he knew, the result of the support and influence the two men exerted on the military establishment. He was only twenty-four and recently had been promoted to Colonel.

"Rutger, Kurt, what I am about to say ... and do ... will be my last act, no matter what your decision will be. Tomorrow I will be found, dead, here in my office."

"Sir! No! You cannot! We, your friends, your country, needs you."

They both rose up from their seats, but were stopped by his words, "We will lose this war, and soon. I have one last request to you both, and if you choose not to do this, I will understand."

Both men jumped up, at the same time, and stood at attention as they chorused, "Sir! What are your orders?"

Tears formed in the old man's eyes. He walked up to both men and placed an arm on each mans shoulder, he said, "I want you to take my granddaughter and as much treasure as possible and fly to Switzerland, there a group will see to it that you all are able to start a new life. Some of this treasure will go to other people and some of it you will need to ensure remains for your use."

"General Wenk will see to it that she arrives safely at the aerodrome, a Dornier experimental plane is waiting for you there and a written set of instructions and new orders will be on board detailing who, how, and when you will be resettled. You both are my closest and dearest friends, Kurt I know this may not be the time to say this but you are my son. I could never marry your mother, but Hannah is your sister's daughter, my granddaughter, too."

"Rutger, I cannot bear the shame and dishonour of what I am doing. I will accept the responsibility, but I beg you both to take Hannah and leave, now. A car is outside, the plane is fueled and loaded, and an escort will see that you arrive safely to the plane."

"When you take off, He-111s and Me 262s will go with you. When you land you will need to follow the instructions to get out of Switzerland. Those orders and papers are in this folder, do not confuse which orders are real, and which you will need to show. I ask you again to do this not only for me, but Hannah and for yourselves."

The two men looked briefly at each other, and stood rigid before the Field Marshall as they accepted the envelopes containing their orders.

They said at the same time, "Sir, our lives are yours to command. We give them to you, gladly."

They saluted, turned, and exited the room. Outside stood six SS solders from Gen Wenk's command.

One saluted and said, "You are to be escorted to your departure. Are your orders ready? If so, follow us."

As they left the bunker, six more troops joined the escort. They were led to a procession of armoured vehicles, and several truckloads of troops. Everyone was silent. When they arrived at the aerodrome, the checkpoint was cleared, and the gates were opened for them. They were whisked to a part of the field where dozens of fighters, bombers, and cargo planes were starting their engines.

They were led to a shiny new airplane. A very tall Gestapo officer came down the plane's stairs, and walked to the men.

He saluted and said, "Sir, your special cargo is on board. May I please see your orders?"

Reaching for the folder, he took it and opened the first portion. He turned the page, and handed the folder back to the dazed men.

He said for any close enough to hear, "Your papers are in order. An escort will be flying along. Should you be attacked, it will be by enemy planes that appear to be ours, but have been captured. Fly to your destination as indicated. Fighter escorts will fly ahead to clear a path for you and more planes will convoy with you. General Wenk sends his regards, and will delay any efforts from the East that could fire upon you."

The men heard a voice, "Uncle Rutger? I am scared! Please help me!"

It was eleven-year-old Hannah. The two men raced up the stairs. An engineer exited the cockpit, saluted, and hurried out of the plane. He closed the stair-door behind himself.

Seats were taken, and seatbelts buckled. The plane taxied, ready for take off. A voice came on over the speaker, saying they were cleared for takeoff, and wishing them good luck. The Dornier joined a long line of planes headed toward their first stop.

Just then several heavily armed vehicles pulled all around their plane, the pilots had no choice but to bring the plane to a halt, then open the door as motioned to do by several very tall, armed troops and a leather coated Gestapo agent. They knew, they were caught, both men tried to get in front of the little girl trying to shield her from the rain of bullets they knew was to soon come.

A Gestapo man entered the plane, motioned to several men to get aboard, then said to the two men, "You had almost left before these gifts from a friend were brought aboard."

He then approached Hannah and handed her a pouch and a small bag, saying, "For you, from someone who wishes you well."

After several crates were brought aboard his men deplaned. He saluted, exited, and closed the door. He waved the troops away then saluted the pilots and motioned the convoy to continue.

At the bunker, all hell was breaking loose. A company of SS and several giant sized guards wearing the iron cross entered the Field Marshall's office, they lined the doorway, armed with machine guns and assault gear, body armour and shields on dark helmets.

A small, thin man entered, motioned the guards away, and then closed the door.

"Hello, my friend," he said, then extended his hand to the Field Marshall.

"Hello, Josef, took his hand and the two men shook hands.

"Marta, the children and I will remain in the bunker, by this time my men have also provided Hannah with some going away gifts, also Wenk is having some of his troops guard the takeoff of the convoy. Heidi and her daughter have been already escorted to the West and will not be joining us in the Bunker.

Goebels reached into his pocket and took out a small box, placed it into his friends hands and said, "This has not gone as planned. We have been over matched by all our enemies, and deserted by those who would name themselves our friends. Only our friends in Japan remain committed to the cause, and continue the fight. Arrangements have been made to provide them with whatever we can, but I fear much will never reach them. We have provided a few of the wonder weapons, already; but many are being destroyed, as we speak. I will see you in the next life, my old friend. Hopefully, something will go on even after we are gone."

He turned and then left. The Field Marshall opened the small box and removed the two whitish pills that were inside. He smiled then opened the desk drawer, took out a Walther P-38 and brought it under his chin, fired it and slumped down in the chair.

They had gotten off the ground safely, and were proceeding with the convoy toward Switzerland, the cockpit door opened and one of the crew came to them, and told them to remove their uniforms. He handed both men small bags, with clothing and papers inside. Another of the crew came out, almost one hour later.

He said, "This is where we leave the convoy. We will head to Zurich. There, people will meet the plane and take you onward. When we land, say nothing, if we are inspected hand over this set of documents. Hopefully, that will end the inspection. Several men will also board, each will be dressed in Red Cross uniforms. They will remove Hannah from the plane. Before we land, have her take this pill. It is harmless, but will make it appear that she is very ill."

Several of the convoy planes, including theirs, turned and headed toward Zurich. When they landed, armed men were stationed all around the planes. A uniformed man approached the plane and opened the door, before they could even deplane. He told them in no uncertain terms to remain seated, that the plane was to be searched.

Just then a well-guarded motorcade arrived, lined up near the plane and a well-appointed man emerged, followed by a clergyman who wore an unusual set of robes. Both men entered the plane. The well dressed man faced the seated men, bowed, and asked how the meeting had gone. He was interrupted by the uniformed man, and jerked by the arm to face him. Several of the men who boarded with the two men, drew weapons and pointed them directly at the inspector.

He then turned a pale shade of red and blurted out, "Do you know who I am, you cant d..."

Another man entered, whispered something in the man's ear. The man fell to his knees, then started to beg for forgiveness.

The clergyman took over, saying, "Although we have just come from the Prime Minister's office to escort his Holiness's sacred relics back to the Vatican, I know that you must feel it necessary to delay us in order to do your job. All I ask is that you call, so that the Chancellor knows what he will tell the Pope as to why we were delayed here and the sacred relics subject to this monstrous seizure."

The inspector was dumbstruck, he had just stopped several planes from Germany, and seized Vatican treasure obviously being returned to the Pope! Now these men were asking him to do what he felt he had to do, but to tell the leader of the country why!

He stood frozen in place, his face ashen. Several more men in Red Cross garb approached, asking where the ill passenger was. The two men got up, and pointed to the girl lying across the seats. Without saying anything, a blanket was placed around the girl. She was hoisted up, and quickly removed from the plane. It was obvious she was in pain, and was burning up with fever. The inspector mumbled something to his aide, then bowed to the two men, and apologized for anything he or his people had done. It was not until they had left the plane that the guards lowered their weapons, clicked their heels and followed the inspector and his people down.

"You will change planes, now. Hannah has already been taken there. She should be fully awake. Our people will also move these, umm, gifts to the new plane, also, I do not think you will be bothered, anymore. Bishop Krulari will accompany you to the Vatican. When you land, several things will happen. Crates bearing a 'P' will be loaded on trucks, to accompany you to the Pope. Several others, including those by your seats, will be loaded in the vehicle you will be using. The rest, marked with a Red Cross, are going elsewhere. Please wish the Pope well, and tell him that we wish everything could have been returned to him, but that all the promised items are included in this shipment. Bow down, kiss his ring, and hand him the list I now give you."

They were taken to a large cargo plane. Several crates, as well as Hannah's bags, also followed them aboard. Hannah ran up to both of them and put her arms around them.

She softly asked ... no, stated, "I'll never see Grandpa again, will I?"

Both men shook their heads no, while she began quietly to sob, tears flowing freely from her eyes.

They were shown to makeshift seats. Two bags were placed in Hannah's lap and the door on the plane was closed. In all, they had been in Zurich a little over two hours, before continuing on their way to the Vatican, some food, water and chocolates were brought to them. An attractive young lady leaned over to Hannah and whispered something in her ear. Hannah nodded, and left towards the back of the plane holding her hand. She returned shortly with a smile on her face. The young woman returned whispered to the men that the place was available, now, should they need to use a facility. She smiled and turned back to Hannah.

As they prepared to land, another man came up to them and said, "My name is Rob Soellner. I will be your pilot to another destination after you leave the Vatican, everything to accompany us will be moved, have Hannah take her bags with her, and go with Katya, she will take all of you on board. We will be waiting for you."

He then handed each man a bag, saying, "Although it is unlikely, should you be delayed, this should aid you. Before you open it, there is a fine thread underneath the handle, remove it, then push on the lever you will find, underneath. Do this before you attempt to open either bag. Inside, you will see a small flap on the inner lining of the bag, it has a port, and ship's name. Use the funds inside to try to reach that ship."

When they landed at Centocelle Airport, on the southeast side of Rome (The Vatican itself is very small), trucks lined up near the unloading ramp at the rear of the plane. Another line of vehicles also were lining up, this time at the side. Hannah and Katya hurried passed them as Katya told the men not to worry, that they would be fine. The clergyman walked up to them, saying that they should go with him. A car approached, and its doors were opened. As they sped off, the bishop said they would be going to see the Pope. Then the car would take them to where they would reunite with Hannah.

The meeting with the pope was brief. The two men handed him the list that they were given and said the things they were told to say. They knelt down and took the ring on the Pope's hand, kissed it, and remained kneeling. The Pope's hands were placed on their heads, and some words in Latin that they did not understand were spoken. Then, several small packages were placed into their hands.

They were escorted back to the waiting car. The clergyman who had met them in Zurich leaned into the car window stating, not asking, that the agreements were fulfilled; and even somewhat exceeded. When the list had been read off to the Pope, tears could be seen. The Pope had asked that this package be given to the two men, as a token of his thanks.

The car went to the waiting plane and they were escorted on board. They saw Hannah sitting next to Katya and took their seats as the doors closed. Rob opened the door of the cockpit, motioned the men over. He told them the new destination was a port in Africa. A ship would be waiting there and would take them to a South American country where a new life awaited them.

He told them to open the now several bags, and several of the small packets they received at the Vatican. Some had Rob and Katya's name, he handed one to Hannah also, he saw the two men's name then several more with names he did not recognize, Rob extended his hand, saying he would see to those also.

Several hours later, all the passengers fell asleep. They were jarred awake by sounds all around them. Katya took Hannah's head and placed her arms about her as if to protect her. They slowly awoke, as from a dream. The plane was in one piece, but they could see cuts on Katya. She had blood on her face and hands, but there was just one small cut on the back of Hannah's head.

They were all very, very lucky even to be alive.

Rob came out to them and said, "Well, I think this stop was not planned. Our ride has had it, I'm afraid; and if you like sand, there is plenty here to go around."

The other crew staggered out then Rob introduced them, then added that both were Katya's brothers and could be trusted with anything, even Hannah. A quick inventory was made. The doors were opened to allow fresh air to circulate, adding to the broken windows. The sun gleaming though the torn roof seemed to be exerting an effort that was something extra. Rob took note of what his crew told him.

He said, "I have some good news, and some bad news. First, the good news, we know where we crashed, we have food for several months and water for 10 days, the bad news is ... we know where we crashed and have water for 10 days, if we stay out of the sun. We are in the middle of a desert, and, no one will ever find us because..." Just then, off in the distance a shot was heart then riders, many riders rode down to the plane, surrounded it, then a young man walked in, gestured for us to raise our hands up, then saw the two injured and bleeding girls, said something that sounded like Arabic and several more men carried them from the plane, wrapping them in a blanket and placing their own head gear over the girls faces. The young man motioned to them to lower their hands.

He then said in perfect German, and repeated in flawless English, "You, I assume, wish to be the guests of my father. No harm shall come to you. You will be taken to our summer home. The two girls will also being taken there, and will receive medical attention. Everything aboard this plane will follow you. If you have any personal items, or small luggage, please feel free to bring it with you. Hassan, my aide, will guide you. I need to do another task before I return. Go in peace."

He and a host of men rode off. Hassan came up and asked us in several languages ... French, German, English, and Arabic ... which we would prefer to use. We said German. He proceeded to recount, in perfect German, how they had been so near to rescue us. It seemed that a water well and oasis had been attacked. Many people had been killed and the oasis was now in the hands of another tribe, unfriendly to theirs. The prince was sent by his father, Sheik Oman a'la Salanni, along with several hundred riders to avenge those killed and return control of the oasis to the family.

They had seen our plane going down. The prince, along with a few of his guard, had ridden to the plane. He was now on his way to complete his assigned task. Horses were brought, and we rode to the summer home. When we reached a small canyon entrance, a shot rang out, but we continued. We came to their camp, or what thought was a camp. Upon reaching a wider gap, we were shocked. Before us was a small city, it was green with trees, flowers, shrubs, and row upon row of white walled buildings. Hassan led on.

Upon reaching a courtyard lined with date palms, pools of water, and what appeared to be several lush gardens; he dismounted and clapped his hands. Several young veiled girls ran up bowed then prostrated themselves before us. Hassan said something to them in a language which seemed like Arabic, but was different.

He turned to us and asked that we follow these girls. They would attend to our needs, let us rest, and then we would be taken to meet the Sheik. There we would reunite with Hannah and Katya, who were also being attended to, in another place.

Each of us were led to separate rooms. First clothes were removed, and we were led to separate baths. Another girl met them. This time she was without any clothes, but was wearing a collar. A thin gold chain ran from the collar to a bracelet on one leg. They were helped into the bath where oils, spices and rich soap was rubbed on every inch of their bodies. If they spoke, each could hear the other, but were not within sight. Towels of a thickness never before seen dried them. As soldier, their bodies had been scarred many times. When the girl bathing them had seen the scars, she called out softly. Again, another girl came. Ointments were taken from the tray and placed on the scars.

One of the two men was led back to a room where the original guide placed him onto a huge bed. She motioned for him to turn over, and proceeded to massage him so gently as to make him think an angel was touching him. Sleep came quickly.

When he began to awake, he had to shake his head, clear his eyes. The angel knelt before him, pointing to several sets of garb. There was an English suit, military desert wear, and a long flowing robe. It was white in colour, with silver trim. There was a matching piece of headgear, with the headband made of strands of silver. He indicated the robe and began to reach for it. The slender hand of the angel touched his chest, and he stopped, she clapped her hands. Two more angels came in, lifted him up, and proceeded to dress him as if he were a king.

After another hand clap a large, a very large man wearing a sword at his side, motioned for him to follow, the angel approached and undid part of her veil, which was all she wore. She pointed to a long red scar on her neck, then gestured that she could not speak. She returned the veil, and lowered her head as she knelt before him.

He exited and followed the man, who lead him to a large room. He saw his friends all arriving from a different point of the room. They looked at each other as a gong sounded. A small procession of young, very beautiful girls entered. They were followed by two veiled and demure very beautiful, and very young, girls. They were outfitted in what appeared as gossamer with silver strands running across every inch.

They seemed garbed like princesses from some fairy tale. The gong was struck again. Each man was now being seated on a large cushion by three more of those angels who wore nothing but veils. The two princesses also were seated, but on a lounge seat. They were attended by a dozen more angels. The gong sounded again, three times. Rows of very large men entered and lined the room. Each had a large curved sword at his side. Then several more men entered. This time their swords were drawn and held up in front of their faces. They stood by a raised divan like area. The gong was struck seven times, and two men entered. The first was a young man whom they recognized as the man who helped them at the plane. He held a curtain open as the another man entered. He was much older. Both wore robes which seemed to glow as if they were made of pure gold.

The older man took a seat as the younger man came up and said, "The Sheik welcomes his friends, the Sheik punishes his enemies!"

Two large baskets were placed in front of each of the men, an attended near them opened the lids. In the first one was found gold, silver, ivory, and gems of all sizes and colours, as well as an assortment of spices. In the other, neatly stacked hands with fingers pointing up as if to the sky.

The young man further spoke, "Choose which basket you desire to be sent to your rooms. Are you a friend or an enemy?"

We all pointed to the 'friend' basket. They were removed, and the young man then spoke to the princesses as all the armed men left the room.

He said to them, "When all of the other men have left, you may lower your veils."

It was then that Kurt's heart stopped, for before them were Hannah and Katya! They could have been the Sheik's daughters, wives or even captured princesses.

The son said, "A simple meal will be served."

He clapped his hands and at least twenty very young, veiled and naked girls began to bring out trays of food. His idea of a 'simple' meal was very different than theirs. Before any food was served, a small trays of bread, salt, oil, and wine were placed in front of us. All of us, having served our country in Africa, knew to take small portions, place them in our mouths, and then swallowed them with a sip of wine.

The young man seemed pleased and continued, "While you partake of this humble meal, the Sheik would like to address all of you, including our two young lady guests."

A man speaking to, and not ordering, a female was unheard of; let alone that this man was a Sheik, a rich and powerful Sheik.

He began, "I welcome you all. While you are in my world, you are all under my protection; and also that of my son and his friends."

"All that I may have you are most welcome to, I ask nothing from you but to respect our laws and that you accept our way of life, as we will respect yours. Most of your belongings have or soon will be in your rooms, some things such as arms, munitions, food, water, fuel, and the like are stored in sheds which are for your use if and when you need them."

"This is our summer home, the quarters you had earlier were merely to service you from your trip here, now that you have elected to be our friend, more fitting quarters have been arranged for you. Lady Hannah and Lady Katya, your new quarters will be near the men, however, if you leave it to visit them, do not enter alone, nor forget to be veiled."

"Gentlemen you will not, upon the severest action, ever be allowed to visit in their quarters. The guards there would, I fear, never allow this. Their Palace is very well guarded, as is yours. We live in a land that has not changed much in over two thousand years so please understand this."

"When and if you need to leave you will go with our blessings and our hearts. There is something you should know, the Field Marshal with whom you all were friends of was also my friend. It was chance that brought us together, but it was not fate that planned your new life. Now eat," he nodded and food was served, after a few bits, the Sheik excused himself, saying prince Abdullah would attend to our needs. The prince spoke as his father rose then left.

"Hassan will lead the men to their new homes, inside those palaces each of you rule, no other man commands there. Inside will be a staff. They will perform anything you shall need or command. Although our language seems strange to you, it is much like Arabic. At each of your residences, you shall have the lead person of your staff be able to understand several languages. You may add or change your servants, as things progress. I will show you more of the slave girls; and, as they become available, those who have received special training. For now, I think you will be very satisfied with our selections for you. Very, very, happy, indeed."

Hassan appeared, and Rutger addressed the Prince, "May I ask a question; and, if so, a favour?"

His reply was simply, "Ask. If it can be done, it will be, immediately. If it is not possible it may take a bit longer, what is your question?"

"When I was first brought in, there was a slave girl attending me, would it be too much to ask if she could be head of my home here, she was like an angel to me."

He said, "My friend, you are mistaken in some of the things you say. One: she is not an angel, nor is she a slave. But she is ... what do you say? ... unique. You may ask her yourself if she will join you in your home. Follow Hassan to your home, she will arrive there this evening. I think you both will need some time before that question can be asked and answered."

He followed Hassan, still thinking of what the Prince had said. He shook his head. He had never seen anyone like her, before. Even if she could not speak, he was in love with her ... every part of her. From the moment he had seen her, he was lost. She was his angel. Even the lined up staff, the bevy of naked girls collard with thin gold chains, the marbled palace, and a seemingly endless array of rooms; could not take her out of his thoughts. Then a slim, tall, Nordic beauty knelt before him.

She asked, "May Inga speak, Master?" He did not understand, as she asked again, "May Inga speak, Master? Uh I am she."

He nodded and said, "Of course."

Inga said, "You are our Master. Everything and everyone in this place is yours to command: to sell; or if you are displeased, to punish; or even to kill. I am in charge of all your slaves, only because I understand your language and shall see to it that all obey".

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.