The Mission - Cover

The Mission

Copyright© 2012 by Lapi

Chapter 2

We landed in Spain. The nice thing about helicopters is that they do not need an airport. While I was not expecting another chateau; where we landed, was ... well, it was more like an old and rundown farm. There was quite a bit of land, though, and eight to ten large barns scattered around. There was an old house, too, and what seemed to be an Old West bunkhouse for ranch hands.

Max saw my look, shook her head and said, "Everything we need is underground."

The doors on several of the larger barns opened up, and tow slugs came out. They started to take the Hinds away. We walked into one bunkhouse. It had seen better days. Behind a panel in one of the bedrooms was a lift. We entered, and some of the guards followed.

The guards got off at Level One, and we went down to Level Two. When we exited, there were long hallways to the right, left and centre. We went straight ahead. After passing several doors, we approached the end of the hall.

A door was on the right. Key code is 2316565SS2 then entered another code. "Say the code as you enter it in, the computer will recognize your voice for other things later on."

The room was just a room. There was subdued lighting that was blue, now, but had been green when we entered.

"Green means someone with the correct code is entering the room, blue is the normal colour. If it had been red, then all hell would have broken out, including some surprises in the hall. This complex was a military project house, and it was declared 'excess'. We bought it, and had it upgraded. It is functional, and serves as our base for Western Europe.

We have another that the Russians have provided in the Urals. There we have only two of several Levels but a dozen more are in use by the Russians. They maintain several fleets of aircraft, and 18,000 Spetznaz personnel are there, too. It is very well protected. Should we need to go there, our areas are Level Three and Four. You will need to repeat the process to activate your codes. When we go to our room, it is Level three, in both places. Your access code is your passport code plus the current month, for example 011 for November. Guest access is the day and month, 0703 for today for example, will only allow access to the upper barns and supplies."

"The Madrid Centre is very small. It is located within the Old City but allows for the agents we use to communicate in person. It is much more secure. When your people get here we can begin the hunt, for it will truly be a hunt. Do you have any questions?"

"Yes, How old are you? Do you have a significant other? Would you like to go to dinner with me?"

"Men," she said, but with a smile. "You're all the same. We entertain you, and then you must have food. We will eat at 1900 hours. A chef makes Sea Bass for almost every evening meal. There are several hundred people at this location, though not all of them are a part of this Mission. My grandfather has several, shall we say, 'special operations' underway.

"When Sally and Sheila were taken, he knew only one person could be responsible. That's why Uncle Rob killed himself; he knew Grandfather would make him wish for death. Why Uncle Rob did what he did, no One really knows. Money was never an issue. Grandfather would have given him anything he needed. Something or someone had to have put him up to it.

"Grandfather was from an Old Russian family. Even before the fall of the Tsars, the Tsar's family envied our lands and wealth. When Stalin came into power, Grandfather saw in him a way for greater power. Grandfather had captured several high-ranking German Officers at the end of the war, in Bulgaria and Hungary. They agreed to an exchange of vast amounts of loot, if they were allowed to escape. My grandfather asked Stalin, and the deal was made. Stalin never trusted people, especially Germans. When the treasure was located, Grandfather notified Stalin, and began to have it packed up to be sent to Moscow. The Germans met with sniper bullets.

"Stalin's orders were to see what Grandfather would do with this treasure. When Grandfather instructed the troops to take it to Stalin, with a listing of all that was being sent, a private came up to him and said, 'Premier Stalin wishes you to keep this treasure safe, until the time is right to rebuild Rodina*. There are forces in Moscow that would take this, and install themselves as the new rulers. The Premier says that they shall be taken care of. He says that you are a true friend, and a trusted comrade.'"

* Rodina = Russia, Motherland, etc.

Max continued, "Stalin was not a man who trusted. With Grandfather's willingness to limit his ambition to helping create the USSR, in Stalin he found a support for his plans. Those plans were funded by Nazi loot. Gold, gems, and rare artwork, looted from all over Europe. That was the last time the treasure has been seen. In today's market, those things that could be sold, gold bars, mostly, are worth seventy to eighty billion. The gems, artwork and museum pieces are priceless. So, you can see why some may still look for this treasure.

"After the Cold War ended, Grandfather started to get his affairs in order. He knew a sickness had invaded his body, and decided that my mother and her sister would inherit his estate."

"When Uncle Rob married my Aunt, Grandfather made new wills and left the lands and chateau to me. There must be something about that place that caused Uncle Rob to go crazy. The government tried to seize it, buy it, and even threatened war crimes against Grandfather. When Russia awarded him medals and proclaimed him a 'Defender of the Motherland', no one dared accuse him of being a Nazi."

"How much land is there, Max?" I asked.

She thought for a moment, then said, "I really don't know. There are maps, and Grandfather said something about a letter the lawyers would give me upon his death. Anyway, all that is important is that we find Sally and Sheila."

I now had a better idea of how I had been chosen. Before I was 'John Smith', I had been captured in Afghanistan. A Russian officer came into my cell, if you call a pigsty a cell, and asked me to follow him. Now since my capture, no One had ever asked me to do anything; let alone in clear, understandable English. I followed him into a hut.

"I am sorry for your harsh treatment. If you give me your word not to try to escape or to contact anyone, you will be free to remain in the village as my guest. We are not at war with your country, and soon we will return to Russia. You will be free to join me there or to return to your old masters."

My first contact with a Russian not only was a pleasant surprise, but in the four months before the recall we learned much about each other.

It was strange. I was not a war prisoner, and had no duty to escape. I was not in uniform, nor was I really 'military', yet this Russian treated me with great respect. He had trusted me, and I had given him my word. It was all either of us needed. I was later to learn that Dimitri was related to the Baron, and had told him of the trust we shared in Afghanistan.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.