The Engineer's Tale - Cover

The Engineer's Tale

Copyright© 2012 by 2 flags

Chapter 4

They left at first light with a rousing send off from the townsfolk, and a kiss from Helga and Freda. Gunter guiding a twenty dog team with obvious expertise. They made good progress with the farm coming into sight within two hours.

"Tell me" asked Gunter as they drew well out of sight of the town. "Under what authority did you dissolve Adolph's and Grasilda's marriage?"

"None what so ever." said Tony.

Gunter laughed so loudly and so much he nearly fell off the sled.

"Tell me," asked Tony "Do you think I did the right thing."

"I think it was the best thing that could have happened other than you had simply opened that bastards throat," said Gunter. "I heard what you said. You're right. We all have a responsibility to our neighbours. It's not right that someone like Adolph can abuse his wife and children like he did and get away with it. Peter has it right. You are a true knight, Sir Tony."

They rode easily over the snow. Tony knew he had made the right choice of transport.

"That's the farm up there," said Gunter.

"Fantastic. I'll be able to get her out, and we'll be away in no time," said Tony.

As they approached the farm, Tony had that sinking feeling that things were not going to be that simple. There was no smoke coming from the chimney, the cows were bellowing in the cowshed and the stable door was wide open.

Tony checked his sword moved easily in its scabbard, grabbed his bow and checked his quiver and slowly approached the house. With Gunter on one side he kicked in the door. The room looked like a bomb had hit it. There was furniture overturned, there were clothes strewn all around, and things just scattered everywhere. From the back of the house they heard a moaning. They approached cautiously and saw a man lying on the floor, clutching his groin in agony.

"Herman!" exclaimed Gunter. "What happened?"

"Three men came here. Claimed to be from some government. They took Martha. I told them not to as I wanted to marry her. They made me fuck her. I didn't want to, but they made me. It was awful. The scream she gave when I came will haunt me for the rest of my life. Then my cock caught fire, and I've been laying here in agony ever since. They've taken her with them. Said they would use her to trap some hero or something. Who's that with you?"

"This is Sir Tony. He's come to rescue Martha. How long ago did they come through?" asked Gunter

"Yesterday afternoon. They were laughing, said that the money they paid Adolph was worth it as there really was a cock burner here. Was it that drunken bastard Adolph who betrayed me then?"

"Yes it was." said Gunter.

"I'll kill the little shit, and those brats of his." said Herman.

"Do what you like to Adolph, but if you so much as lay one finger on those children, I'll make what happened here seem like the best experience of your life. Those children are under my protection. Don't ever forget it." Said Tony, glaring at him. "Now which way did they go, and what else did they tell you?"

"Oh, sorry sir, um, they said about going towards Blackford, and then heading to Gronhinne where there are based. Said they were going to come back and teach these peasants a lesson they would never forget." he told them.

"Very well. It's vital we stop them before they get to Gronhinne. How far is it to Blackford?" asked Tony.

"About a days travel, maybe less. I packed enough for a week, you have to out here, you never know what might happen." said Gunter.

"Sorry Herman, but we have to go. Boil up some water and wash yourself. The pain will ease, but it will take several days." Said Tony. With that they headed for the door.

They were making good time towards Blackford when as they rounded a bend they saw four men standing in the road.

"Don't stop." said Tony, "Charge them with the dogs." He then tried to stand up, trying to balance on the speeding sled but couldn't. Instead he knelt; sitting on his heels, drew his bow and fired three arrows at the would-be robbers. What with the dogs and the arrows, the men had second thoughts and ran off.

"Wasn't that a bit of a waste of arrows?" asked Gunter.

"Not really." said Tony. "Those were just fire hardened ones, they have no iron tip to them. They were just to scare them off. It's the others that cost the money, the bodkin ones."

"What's so special about them?" asked Gunter

"They'll go through armour, chain-mail, boiled leather, even armour plate. Very effective, very expensive." he told him. "Anyway, I learned a valuable lesson. I can't stand on this sled, but I can kneel."

"Why do you need to know that?" asked Gunter.

"When we're attacked next time, and chances are we will be, I won't waste time trying, and I won't risk falling," said Tony.

"Ah, I see." said Gunter, respect showing in his voice.

They were making good time on their journey to Blackford and the sun was as high as it would get this time of year when Gunter stopped the sled.

"We need to rest the dogs, and we need something to eat. You have to keep your energy reserves high this weather because of the cold. Gather some wood while I see to the dogs and then we'll get a fire going and have some food." Gunter told him.

Tony did not argue but did as he was bid. Gunter did what he needed to do with practised ease. After lunch, Tony needed to answer the call of nature. He unpacked the shit tent. Gunter laughed when he saw it, but after he thought about it, and used it himself, he had to agree it was a good idea.

"I must say, taking a shit out here can be a problem, especially in a blizzard. That, surprisingly, works. Well done Grettle."

It was mid afternoon and they were still making good progress when they saw a young man lying in the snow. They stopped and went over to him. He was still alive, just. As they approached his eyes flickered open.

"Rachael, Hannah. Don't let them take them." Then his eyes rolled back into his head as he died.

They looked at him. "Someone's attacked him, look there's blood on the back of his head." said Gunter.

"Yes, and he's been stabbed too, look, here." said Tony, pointing to where the knife had gone in.

"Let's load him on to the sled, and we'll take him into the town." said Tony

They loaded the man's body onto the sled, and resumed their journey with Tony using his skis to travel alongside.

"I take it you got those from Grettle as well," said Gunter

"Yes, and they seem to be doing a great job." replied Tony, hanging on to the side of the sled.

They continued on their way, and just as dusk was falling they came to Blackford. They drove the team through the main street, drawing many curious looks and stares as they passed through. They stopped at the stables. Tony went in while Gunter stayed with the dogs.

"Hi there, I'm Tony, and I was wondering if you can help us? We found a man dying on the road, we've brought him in, can you let his family know what's happened please. Also have you somewhere we could leave our dogsled for the night?"

"Hello, I'm Helmut. Pleased to meet you." said the man, taking Tony's outstretched hand. "Let's have a look at the poor fellow. They went outside to the sled.

"That's young Jacob. Poor lad. What happened?" Asked Helmut.

"Don't know, we found him on the road coming here. Looks like he was robbed. More than one I'd say, look, he's been hit from behind and stabbed from the front." said Tony

"Haven't been any strangers come through today have there?" asked Gunter

"Well yes. Three men arrived earlier with a woman. She looked in pain poor thing. I'd say they'd raped her, or done something to her. She could barely walk." Said Helmut.

"Do you know where they went?" asked Tony

"Yes, down towards the inn." Helmut told him.

"Thanks, Say, do you know who Rachael, or Hannah are?" asked Tony

"Yes. Why?" asked Helmut

"It's just as we got there he opened his eyes and said Rachael, Hannah, don't let them take them. Have you any idea what he was talking about?" he replied

"Oh god, that poor girl. When will that child have some good luck? Rachael is, was, his wife. Hannah is their daughter. Rachael came here with her family oh, just about two years ago. Running from slavers they said. Well, they settled okay, and her father found work. Then the fever came, it killed both her parents and her brothers within a month. She was left on her own. Poor child can't be more than nineteen. Jacob's father was taken at the same time, She married Jacob, it was that or whoring, and it seemed that when they had Hannah, some happiness had returned to their lives. But now this! Poor thing, don't know what she'll do now, have to go whoring I suppose."

"When we leave, let me know where she lives, I'll do what I can" Said Tony

"Well okay, will do that. Well, you can leave the sled in here; the dogs can go round the back. Two quads for the night, but you'll have to feed your own dogs, only got oats, don't think they'd like that somehow."

Tony smiled, "No I don't think they would somehow. Thanks, well take it."

They unloaded Jacob's body and laid it out by the wall. Next they unhitched the dogs from the sled and took them round the back of the barn where they tied them to a stake they had driven into the ground. After they had fed the dogs they manhandled the sled into the barn.

"Time for us to get fed now. I fancy something hot and steamy." said Gunter. "And some food." The men laughed as they made their way towards the inn.

The place was fairly quiet when they walked in. But the usual stench of unwashed bodies, stale beer, and filth assaulted their nostrils as they entered. It was a large building for Chaos, two storeys high with a large dining area and rooms upstairs.

As they walked in, Tony looked around, there were several groups of people drinking and eating. They went to the bar.

"This is Sir Tony, and I'm Gunter." Said Gunter to the man behind the bar.

"I'm Alfric, what can I get you?" the man replied.

"We'd like two warm wines and two bowls of your finest stew" replied Gunter.

"It's cold out there," said Tony by way of making conversation. "Had many other travellers lately?"

"Yes, we had four in just a couple of hours ago. Ah, here they come now." he replied.

Tony turned to see two men coming down the stairs. Both were tall, one was fat and looked the typical bully. The other was slimmer, though not by much. Both looked mean and nasty.

"That your sled we saw coming through town?" asked the fattest one.

"We'll take it." he said.

"I beg your pardon. What did you say?" asked Gunter in amazement.

"Listen, shithead, we're the Brotherhood. We're in charge around here. If we say we want something, then we just take. Okay! Get it?" said the other one walking up towards Tony and Gunter.

Tony drew his knife and hid it in his sleeve. He allowed the men close the distance and then said "Well if you're the government, then who voted for you?" asked Tony.

The first one paused. "Voted? What's voted?" He said puzzled

"It means chosen," he said, stepping forward and plunging his knife into the fat guys belly. "And I've just voted you out." He said, driving the blade up under his ribs into his heart.

The man gasped and collapsed. Tony saw the startled look on the other man's face. He went to draw his sword, but Tony withdrew his knife from the fat man, flipped the blade in his hand and threw it into his opponent's chest. The man screamed and went down. Tony then drew his sword and sliced it across the man's throat. Checking the man was dead he then retrieved his knife.

He turned to the barman. "Which room?" he asked

"First on the left" he replied.

Tony headed up the stairs.

Gunter stood staring at the turn of events with his mouth open. In less than thirty seconds two men were dead. He shook his head and followed Tony up the stairs.

Upon hearing the scream the last man had come out of his room, drawing his sword as he did. He saw Tony coming up the stairs with his drawn sword in his right hand and his dagger in his left.

The man lifted his blade and slashed down from left to right. Tony parried the blade with his sword, at the same time slashing at the man's wrist with his dagger. He sliced through flesh and the man cried out, dropping his blade. Tony then smashed the man in the face with the guard of his sword. The man fell backwards and Tony then stamped on the man's balls. He screamed, clutching his balls as the fight went out of him. Tony kicked open the door, and there, tied to the bed was Martha.

Gunter ran up the stairs. He looked in and saw Martha. He was sickened at what he saw. She was tied to the bed naked, covered in bruises; bite marks and also covered in cum. They couldn't fuck her, but that didn't mean they couldn't abuse her, and these animals had taken every opportunity to do just that. Gunter started to help Tony release her.

"Keep an eye on that bastard outside. I want a word with him when I've finished in here." Tony said, with an edge in his voice that made Gunter shudder

He went out side and saw the man just getting his breath back. He too kicked him in the balls. The man screamed again and then threw up.

"Bastard" said Gunter kicking him again "You fucking bastard" again the boot went in, again the man screamed.

Tony heard what was going on outside. "Leave him Gunter. You'll kill him if you don't stop now. That will be far too kind a fate for him. I need to question him. Bring him in here." he told him.

Gunter dragged the man back into the room and closed the door.

"Tie him up. I'll deal with him in a minute." said Tony menacingly.

Tony had by now found a sheet to cover Martha who was staring blankly up at him. As he released her bonds she threw her arms around him and cried.

"It's alright. It's over, I'm here to take you home." Tony told her "Gunter, can you go downstairs and ask Alfric for some hot water please, and a clean cloth."

Gunter shook his head and went down stairs to do as Tony bid. When he arrived in the bar Alfric was still standing there with his mouth open and two dead bodies lying on the floor.

"That was amazing" Alfric said, "I've never seen anything like that. Three men in under a minute, and he never even broke sweat."

"Well now he wants some hot water, in a clean bowl and a clean wash cloth. Oh and a clean towel as well. I wouldn't keep him waiting if I were you." Gunter told him.

The man seemed to snap out of his trance. "No, of course not, right away." and disappeared out the back. The other patrons just seemed rooted to the spot as well. Gunter looked round at them.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.