One Month of Chuck & Steve - an Alternative Scenario - Cover

One Month of Chuck & Steve - an Alternative Scenario

Copyright© 2012 by Robin_dualwritersguest

Chapter 25

CHUCK – Hawaii – Day 18 - Thursday

Last night's supper party was a great success, and after Dewey had banned all business talk, everyone relaxed so much that he had to find rooms for all the visitors.

At breakfast, the girls announced that as we were all flying to LA tonight, that they intended to spend a quiet day on the beach. Crystal arrived at the table late and said that she had arranged for a helicopter to meet us at the clothing optional resort and take the party to Molokai, then over to Maui.

Jimmy and Joy went over to spend the day at the airpark to review the logbooks of all the aircraft we'd acquired yesterday that were there waiting for them.

A limo took the three of us, along with our general managers, to the first resort. There, I was struck by the calm, peaceful ambience. The décor was now all pastel shades with a great deal of vegetation. Josie explained that this was different from similar resorts and that the contrast was proving more and more popular.

She took everyone out on to the terrace by the casino Bistro, and pointed out the land between the golf course and the sea where she envisioned building the family annex.

"I think that would work," Steve remarked.

"Yes," Dewey agreed, turning to Josie. "You should get Martin's architect to do some initial drawings."

Josie grinned, and stepping over to a table, pulled out a bunch of colored views of the proposed annex which she spread out for everyone to see.

There was silence while the whole group absorbed the information and kept looking from the pictures to the top of the bay beside us where the planned buildings would be.

"You are providing for, what, 60-80 rooms there?" Steve asked.

"Yes," Josie replied, looking apprehensive as she thought that she might have been too ambitious.

"What do you think, Dewey?" Steve asked, holding up a general view and comparing it to the sight in front of them. "I like it, but I think we could be missing out here. What about doubling the size? We could make it 150 rooms, but make the majority upscale suites, with the second floor suites smaller rooms. That means putting the restaurants and a snack bar on the first floor, and the nurseries and kids' playrooms out in wings on either side."

Dewey smiled at Steve's enthusiasm.

"Yes, I think I agree," he said, glancing over at me.

I nodded.

"Please have the plans drawn up on this basis, Josie, and get quotes from builders," I told her. "You'd better ask the man who did Martin's building work to bid too.

"Now, that piece of empty land beyond the family annex would be a perfect place to put the golfers. I think I like the idea of a tower type resort over there. I believe it needs to be entirely separated from Josie's current operation though, and I really don't want to spoil what she has already achieved. I do agree that there is no space for another golf course here without buying what looks like expensive land, but we may have to come back to considering that approach. That's another job for your architect, Josie."

"Oh, thank you," Josie replied, beaming. "I just know it will be a great success. There's one more thing that I wanted to talk to you about. We've been asked why we don't have a nightclub, but I feel that something a little more relaxed would be more in keeping with our strategy. Do you think any of those 'Blues' musicians who were here for Chuck's birthday would be interested in coming out to entertain our guests if we built a 'Blues' bar over beside the restaurant there?"

Everyone looked at me.

"I don't see why not," I thoughtfully replied. "I think that's a really great concept, and if it worked here, maybe we could extend the idea to the other resorts. That should appeal to everyone. But why don't you provide for a nightclub in the new golfers' resort? We look to you to manage both operations, by the way."

There was general enthusiasm from all the Islands management at this remark.

I had expected an argument, but both Steve and Dewey agreed.

After some coffee and special nibbles served on the terrace by my friend, the Head Chef, who was disappointed he couldn't do more, the whole party boarded carts to drive over to the clothing optional resort next door.

When we got there, Julie led us all out on to the terrace in front of the main building, but I got a call from Buster on my cell before she could start her presentation. He said that our Secret Service contact had called to tip him off that Joe Biden, the US Vice President, whom Lisa and I had recently met in DC, was going to visit The Junction tomorrow morning. After thanking him for the info, I had a quick discussion with Steve. There was no argument about the fact that we have to be there for the visit, so I called Carlos at Halcyon and asked him to reschedule our meetings.

"Before I show you where I propose to build the cottages," Julie started her presentation, "I want to get your views on a couple of other ideas I've had. You see the group of thatched huts down there at the top of the beach? We've also been asked about a nightclub at this resort, and I think it would be better to put it right down there so that it could also be open on the beach side.

"Second, Martin will be telling you about the successful fishing trips he's been running out of their new boat harbor. We tried it too, and rented that movable dock over there to service a fishing boat that we rented as an experiment. That has proved to be so successful that we had to rent two more boats. I have a folder with all the season's figures, and I hope that you will agree to buy us three or four fishing boats of our own, which I'm convinced will really make you money."

"What do you think?" I asked Steve, not giving away that we'd already decided to do it. "I like the idea, and now that the Magellans have finished all the catamarans for the Island, we could have them build some of the same design for here. I'm sure Martin is going to ask us for some too, so what about it?"

Steve was stroking his mustache.

"Yes, I'll go with that," he replied, pausing to look around. "But I think we'd better build a harbor here too, so that they can be brought into shelter if necessary.

"I think that we should get Magellan to also build six yachts for each resort to allow for chartering by the guests. We can have a mixture of say four 32-34 footers and a couple more at 42 feet. We could offer full crews, just a captain, or allow the visitor to captain his own boat if he has the proper licenses. I say we also buy six fishing catamarans and four dive boats for here, as well. Yes, you'll have the same over at Molokai, Martin."

Dewey was quietly nodding his agreement, and the managers were all beaming.

"I've just got one additional suggestion," he added. "You could use the harbor wall as an additional bad weather shield for the kiddies' beach, not that you have many really windy days, but see what you think anyway. We should definitely make it large enough so that it can also take some visitors' boats."

So that was agreed.

Without seeming to be in a rush, Julie led us over to the carts. She led us along the beach and turned inland where there were extensive palm groves.

"I'd like to put in 15 to 20 cottages along here," she enthusiastically told us. "Where it's more open, I want to plant a lot of the local flowering shrubs, and maybe some hibiscus ones, to provide both beauty and more seclusion."

"That's another great idea, Julie," remarked Dewey, as he glanced around. "You're really on a roll today, aren't you?"

He glanced at the Steve and me, then added, "Go ahead and make it happen."

He looked around again, then walked across to the back of the grove.

"This looks like a perfect place to build another 18-hole golf course; maybe there's even room for two."

Josie was giggling, while Julie and Martin looked embarrassed.

Crystal had been staying in the background, but she now moved to the front of the group.

"The answer to your question is yes. We can make two excellent golf courses here, and I think we should do it. Julie hasn't mentioned it, since she didn't want to spoil Martin's presentation later. She also thinks that we could double up and have a single clubhouse between the two courses over by the larger lake. That means that there's room behind for one of your big 'golf annexes' if you want one. The golf pros I talked to thought that all these small pools would make great hazards on some interesting fairways. The whole area used to be a small lagoon, and as luck would have it, we already own all the land we need."

We then heard the CS&S helicopter landing over by the 18th green, so we got back on the carts and drove over to meet it.

The aircraft was one of the new Hawks, and I went forward to talk to the pilot while the others were getting settled in their seats. When I went back into the cabin, I was immediately impressed with the quality of the conversion for civilian use that had been carried out under Jimmy's dad's supervision.

When we arrived at the Molokai resort, I asked Crystal to have the pilot circle around the existing site, and we had a good look at the adjoining farm property. This covered about 600 acres to the north, with some good coastal frontage

We landed outside the main resort building, and were welcomed by Mr. Thieu, the hotel manager.

"Welcome, welcome," he exclaimed. "I am so pleased that you have all come to see what we have achieved."

He shook hands with everyone, then following a nod from Martin, he began.

"I don't know if Martin or Gloria have mentioned this to you yet, but when guests leave and fill in our questionnaire, they frequently say that there should be more evening activities and nightlife. Although we have an excellent restaurant over by the golf course that does very well, it gets booked up very early and is highly profitable. We would like to either extend it, or preferably, add an exclusive restaurant here in the resort. That's because we would also like to have a nightclub here, and if we placed them close together, the restaurant kitchen could also supply suppers for the late night partiers.

"But please come in and admire our new décor."

We went into the reception area, past a bowing Concierge, and stopped in surprise. All the walls were covered by murals of Hawaiian scenes and people, all painted by a local artist, we were told. I was standing next to a beaming Gloria, and asked.

"I think this must have been your idea. I really like the contrast between the décor themes of the three resorts. Yours is really striking. Do you have a brochure that I can take to show the management at my new resort down in Costa Rica?"

Gloria handed me a bunch of brochures, while everyone congratulated Mr. Thieu, but he modestly gave the credit to Gloria.

After we had been shown around the main facilities, each with a mural painted in different dominant colors, we were escorted to the restaurant where we had had our first meeting with Martin. After a delicious meal of baked Mahi-mahi, Dewey turned to him.

"So, how about telling us about this proposal of yours?" He asked.

"We've been getting complaints about overcrowding on our present golf course," he began, "So I agree that we need a second course here anyway. We have room to extend Mr. Thieu's resort, and I would like to increase his housing to a total of 600 rooms.

"There is room on the land to the north, not only for another really nice new resort, but also for two more golf courses, one of which should be of championship quality. For only a little extra cost, we would increase both our reputation and attractiveness for golfers everywhere.

"I've been over to Maui; Gloria and I spent a lovely weekend at the NeNe a month ago, and I agree that if you can buy the present majority owner out, it will be an outstanding investment. Take a good look at how it's been developed, because it has been my inspiration for our new resort here."

Crystal now handed us all brochures that clearly set out the proposals that Martin had outlined. It even had an appendix showing the financial forecasts in a way that Tiny would certainly approve of.

We all studied the folder. I quickly scanned the figures, and nodded to Crystal.

"You obviously need a quick answer," I began. "I'm convinced, and vote that we should immediately go ahead on both projects."

"I agree," Steve chimed in, while Dewey just looked exasperated.

"Phew," Dewey gasped, "You've done it again, and won't even give me time to digest the data. OK, I'm outvoted, so I agree too. Now let's get this thing moving."

He grinned at Crystal while the other locals got together in a group hug.

"Well," Dewey continued, "Let's get airborne and go over to Maui and spend some more money."

Kapalua was only a short hop from Molokai across the Pailolo Channel, so we were soon flying over the NeNe resort, identifying the various features.

"That woman's right," Martin exclaimed. "That old pineapple field would be a lovely center for some vacation cottages, and you could build an awesome golf course around the slopes of that hill over there. The views for both the players and any spectators would be quite spectacular. Look; there are streams with small waterfalls all along there that would make really interesting hazards."

A proud Gloria tried to quiet him down, but it took all the time until the helicopter landed on a lawn below some high windows, for him to stop muttering.

I was the first out and was greeted by a security man shouting that we could not land there and must quickly go away. Although I asked for Mrs. Grainger, the man kept shouting and got so angry, that he started uttering threats. He even started to pull his weapon, but found himself staring into the barrel of my Glock. That sobered him up.

I took the man's old 45 automatic, dropped the magazine, and put it into my pocket.

"Please fetch Mrs. Grainger, NOW," I barked.

Luckily at that moment a rather plump, dark-haired woman in her late forties came out of a side door, and walked towards us, holding her hand out.

Dewey went to meet her.

"Mrs. Grainger?" He asked. "I'm Dewey, and I think we've met at a reception at my Honolulu resort a few years back. Please come and meet my partners, and these others, who are the senior managers of our properties here on the Islands."

After everyone had been introduced, we were ushered into a private lounge where refreshments had been laid out. We were then shown colored plans of all the features that the resort included.

"When you have all had a good look at these, why don't you go out and see everything," Mrs. Grainger suggested. "The staff has been warned that you were coming; including, I'm afraid, that silly security man. Feel free to ask questions of anyone, and I suggest we all meet back here in an hour? After that, maybe you can take me up in your helicopter so that I can show you the lie of the 18 fairways of my proposed Super Championship Golf Course."

We went back on the terrace, where Dewey told everyone to spread out and explore, but that Steve and I should go with him.

"Well, what's the expert's first impression?" I asked.

Dewey paused, and slowly looked around.

"What's my first impression? I think that it's all very impressive. Unless they are asking a silly price, the answer is a no-brainer. We buy it, and consider ourselves really lucky that Mrs. Grainger wants to stay on and continue running the place. It's got to be a really good earner from day one."

"I agree," Steve chuckled, "But we will need to immediately put a helicopter pad in. We must take Chuck around, though, so that he can exercise his gift."

After a quick stroll around the grounds and down to one of the beaches, we climbed up the steps to the main complex again. As Sam had told us, the original hotel had been built across the middle of the promontory, then wings and annexes had been added to it often at a different level. Those had been laid out so well that the complex made a charming and cohesive whole.

The inside décor was fresh and very nicely done. When talking to the Reception Manager, we were impressed to discover that the suites outnumbered the ordinary rooms by approximately four to one. Dewey scanned the sports charges, restaurant menus, and wine lists, then declared himself even more impressed. We went into the kitchen, where a French Chef invited us to sample the specials he was preparing for that evening's meals. He was pleased when we all three praised his creations.

As the hour was just about up, we made our way back to the lounge. As each member of the team entered, there was almost no discussion; all that was needed was a discrete smile and a nod. Tactfully, Mrs. Granger did not reappear until another 20 minutes had passed.

"Would you three like to come into my office?" She asked.

When we were sitting around a small conference table, Dewey took the lead.

"Depending how much your husband wants for his shares," he began, "My partners and I will be happy to enter into a purchase agreement. I know this is maybe a bit sudden, but my colleagues have to be at their Vegas aviation operation tomorrow morning for a visit from the Vice President of the United States, and I have to leave for meetings in Seattle. I'm sorry to rush things, but if we can agree on a price, Sam Perkins acts for all of us, and he can have agreements prepared for the three of us to sign before we leave this evening."

Mrs. Grainger didn't blink; she pulled her cell phone out and pushed a speed dial button as she walked out of the room. She returned ten minutes later, and offered her phone to Dewey.

"I've got Sam on the line," she said, "Billie has agreed to what I believe is a very reasonable price, but you gentlemen must make up your own minds."

Dewey took the phone, and listened to what Sam had to say. He then looked at Steve and me as he wrote a figure on a piece of paper which he showed each of us. I thought that it was a real steal and quite ridiculous, but I just followed Steve's lead and nodded too.

"Okay, Sam, we'll do it," Dewey said into the microphone. "Please have the agreement and share transfer drawn up and out at the airpark, ready for us to sign before we leave tonight. I'll phone Ben Phillips right away; he acts for me now too, and have him transfer the money into your escrow account right away. He already knows your numbers."

He listened for a minute, then thanked Sam and hung up.

"I think Sam is getting used to dealing with us now," he joked, as he handed Mrs. Grainger's phone back to her. "Just a moment, please, we have to arrange the money transfer."

Steve phoned Ben, explained what we wanted, then handed the phone to Dewey to give him the numbers.

"Before we takeoff and have a closer look at the proposed new golf course," Dewey said, "How do we proceed regarding the extensions you are planning? Crystal Mendoza and her partner, Barton Meyer, are responsible for supervising our interests here in the Islands. They can deal with most matters.

"Oh yes, I almost forgot; you need to know that yesterday, Chuck added, "Diamond Head Airwaysto the CS&S air transport interests here on the Islands, then he purchased Haleiwa Air Cargo from Herb Billings. I'm pleased to say that Herb has agreed to join us as a consultant."

"And what happened to that nasty piece of work; Jack Sykes?"

"Well, the last we heard, he was a guest of the FBI," Dewey grinned.

We loaded Mrs. Grainger and everyone into the helicopter, then flew over and landed in the mouth of a small gully high up on the mountainside. We all got out of the aircraft and were soon admiring the beautiful, really impressive scenery.

"This is superb," Gloria exclaimed, "I do hope you manage to buy this land. It will make an outstanding golf course."

Sheila Grainger came over to the three of us and motioned to us to come closer.

"Didn't Sam tell you?" She quietly asked, "We've got options to buy all the land from the top of that ridge behind us, all the way down to the sea."

"Chuck's incredible luck continues," Dewey murmured.

After dropping Sheila back at the resort, we flew back to the airpark.

On the trip, while the others discussed the incredible resort we had just inspected; Steve, Crystal, Bear, and I talked about their visit to Honolulu International Airport. The three of them were in agreement that nothing would be gained from moving the Diamond Head passenger operations out to our airpark, but that we should keep the aircraft there, as well as transferring all the Haleiwa Cargo business out to the airpark too.

Luckily, we would now have the extra land to build new hangars, as well as a freight depot. Doing it this way, we would only need to provide better general aviation facilities at the airpark.

Crystal would oversee all this.

When we arrived back on Oahu, the women had all the baggage packed and loaded on the 737, which was ready for takeoff.

Sam Perkins was there with the sale agreement and share transfers, and the three of us quickly signed the documents.

"Oh, good; you're finished," Sue exclaimed. "Come and get on board. If we takeoff now, we can be in Vegas by midnight West Coast time. I called and got rooms at that nice hotel near McCarran Airport, and we can go on to The Junction first thing in the morning."

She waited rather impatiently while Dewey, Steve, and I thanked our colleagues for all their help, and waved to them as the refueled helicopter took off to return them to their respective resorts.

KURT – The Junction

The General has scheduled another meeting for 1000. I wonder what surprises will come out of this one.

I spent the first hour walking around talking to people, then Sgt. Crossley came to find me. He had 40 MPs who needed to have their new Guard Force uniforms fitted, but since thirty of them were women, he obviously couldn't get this done in the open, so he asked if they could use one of the RVs? One was actually assigned to Jamie Wilson, so I told him to use that one. Soldiers in fatigues were soon going in one door, and smartly dressed Guard Force personnel were coming out of the other.

A steam of contractors' vehicles and equipment had started arriving soon after first light. I walked over and stood with Terrell as he watched three of his new contractors organize their men to begin breaking ground for all the additions on this side of the main runway. He told me that the two Fire Marshals had finally decided on a site for the new Fire and Crash station. They wanted it to be about halfway along the runway, but a hundred yards back from the edge. This currently was in the center of the paratroopers' camp, so nothing could be done about it yet. His fourth contractor, who was to build the Guard Barracks by the main gate, couldn't start until tomorrow.

There was a roar, and we saw one of the Air Force's few C-5M Super Galaxies circling, then come into land. It was soon spitting out two large fire/crash trucks and their crews. I walked over and was told by the aircrew that they had been about to leave Travis for Dover AFB, Delaware, where the 9th Airlift Squadron is located, when they received an order from the very top to delay their departure and load these Striker 4500s for delivery to us here on their way home.

Now we have some decent emergency coverage, but I have had to give up some hangar space for the rigs until their permanent station can be built.

I was just thinking that I ought to go and check that the 1000 meeting was going to be in "my" conference room, when Buster called my cell. He said that he'd received a tip off from his "other employer" (the Secret Service) that Vice President Joe Biden was going to pay us a visit here at The Junction tomorrow morning. He had called Chuck's cell, and he and Steve were changing their schedule to be here for the VP's arrival. He therefore wasn't going to send my extra Guard Force personnel over today. Chuck had suggested to him that we should put on a show for the VP, and Colin was going to spend the afternoon drilling 30 of his men, including mine, and he would fly them in by 0900 tomorrow, arriving in time to form another Honor Guard. Good thinking.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.