One Month of Chuck & Steve - an Alternative Scenario - Cover

One Month of Chuck & Steve - an Alternative Scenario

Copyright© 2012 by Robin_dualwritersguest

Chapter 9

THE VALLEY

STAR – Monday DAY EIGHT part #2

We were served our breakfast on the terrace this morning. There was a clear sky and only a gentle breeze. What a wonderful life this is.

We had our morning management meeting while we sipped our last cups of coffee.

My first job today was to get twelve pilots off to St Louis to collect the G-550s and new Lears. When I asked how I should choose which men to send, Jenny told me to just select the first jet jockeys who walked in the door – so that's what we did.

John had to be in Vegas for a 1230 meeting with Steve and Chuck. We were all pleased that Steve was well enough to go. John was taking Tank with him as he was needed in Lutz – he's been a tower of strength and I am very grateful to him for all he has done.

We got the pilots off to St Louis by 0800, with Gerry Weiss flying right seat as he said he needed the experience. Bill had borrowed one of the larger Falcon 900s from a friend. It was faster too, so they would be in St Louis by 1100. This was one of the newer LX variants, and with a range of 5,500 nautical miles, Jenny was sure she could profitably use this for cross-Pacific charters. She suggested that maybe I should explore leasing it.

Jenny has been very successfully spreading the word that we are open for charter business. She's using the Lutz rate chart, but with an added uplift for the higher cost of fuel here in California. I wish we could buy at the Lutz prices, we'd clean up ... Still, she said we are highly competitive despite this. The fax machine had a whole string of charter enquiries waiting when we arrived at the airpark.

I was relieved when the three pilots who used to fly our 737-300s for the old owners walked in, and I hired them on the spot. This was good, because it meant that Jenny could now confirm the Boeing's charter to Seattle today and a couple of short hauls for tomorrow. Excellent. She also had firm charters for two of the new planes – hope they arrive in time – as well as two Chinook heavy lifts for the Coast Guard. What did they use before?

I went through our list of pilots with Georgie.

Ignoring Dermott and his ten pilots, we now have fourteen jet jockeys (lovely phrase), eleven from the Air Guard who can double on both fixed wing and rotary, another seven rotary pilots from the consortium and the 6 ex-Navy pilot/mechanics. However, we need sixteen if we have to put all eight larger jets in the air at once...

We did a quick calculation. I decided that we needed another six with jet multi-engine

experience, plus another six or eight fixed wing pilots. We would need at least four fixed wing instructors, but I decided we'd use Dermott's men to do this for the time being, plus two rotary instructors. I think we we're OK for helicopter pilots otherwise.

I picked up the phone to pass our requirements on to Lisa.

She was busy interviewing, but took the call. I told her what I needed.

"An experienced and competent Chief Pilot is a must," I told her, "And an urgent one too."

"I think I may have just the man for you sitting here with me right now." She replied. "Hold on..."

There was a pause of about thirty seconds.

"Yep,. I think this one's for you. He's an Air Force major who has commanded squadrons and also done the Group Exec Officer's job. He's flown just about every type of aircraft the Air Force has. He's 42, unmarried, and willing to travel. Shall I put him on the next scheduled flight out?"

"Right. Do that, please," I answered. "What about the others? This is the hot priority out here at the moment."

"Sure. From what I hear, you may have competition from Vegas real soon. Steve's determined to buy out the man who beat him up."

Hum, interesting. That's one more thing done, I thought, as I put the phone down.

We'd hardly got around to the next item on the agenda – hangars, when Bill came in and gave his daughter a hug.

"What's this I hear about Sara not being able to cope because of morning sickness?" he asked.

Sara was Bill's bookkeeper, and I didn't think she was even showing. There are two other girls who man the office and act as local controllers for aircraft movements. Their names are Jackie and Liz. The tower isn't manned outside of normal business hours, but the way we are possibly heading, I'd better think of 24/7 coverage and even an ILS, approach lights, etc. If Chuck put them in down at the Island, I have more need of that capability here.

"Do you think Sara's indisposition will last for long? (Good word, Star.) Should we hire someone to cover, or can we get by?" I asked.

"Willie has an old retired accountant called Fritz," Bill remarked, "I think he'd be glad to get some extra hours."

"I know old Fritz," Georgie exclaimed. "I'll ask him the next time I go up to Lacy. But shouldn't we talk about hangars?"

Bill had been about to slip away, but he now came back and sat down.

"What's the word from Terrell about the last two sets of doors on the last two hangars?" he asked. "I think they've finished on the roofs."

"He said Thursday," I replied, "But every time I do the numbers, I come up short.

"If we count the four up at Willie's, we've now got twelve," I started. "We're currently using four for maintenance and re-builds. There are Leroy's seven T-36s in with the three torn down 208s – I think we need to transfer four of the seven into your sales inventory, Bill, and keep the other three for chartering. We could then move Hanson's lot into the same hangar – that saves one. Three maintenance hangars should be enough for now, but my other boss, Steve, has a saying - if you need one now, you'll need another three by the time it's built. Ergo – build four. I think experience at Lutz bears him out.

"If we add on your two aircraft sales hangars (we need to move the aircraft being transferred to the air charter inventory somewhere else) and the two aero club ones, that leaves us with only six for all the other aircraft. I think we'll need at least two for the medium and small jets, and probably three for the other fixed wing planes – that leaves one for the Boeings. We haven't even considered all the helicopters and prospective flying school requirements yet...

"At this point, I think we are four or five hangars short..."

The other two stared at me bemused.

"Is there room for another full row along the other side of the airpark?" I asked Bill.

"Yes – we allowed for that when the General allocated the land," Bill immediately replied. "But do you think..."

Georgie was grinning.

"Yes," I said, "We stake the land out for all ten, but only ask for six now."

Georgie was now openly laughing.

"When can Jenny and I start flying lessons?" she asked. "As we're living off the company now and dad's house will be empty whenever, I think I can now afford it."

"Just line up the aircraft and an instructor," I absent-mindedly replied. "CS&S subsidizes employees who want to learn almost anything."

Tank came in to say goodbye. I believe that he wouldn't be back again, so I gave him a big hug, and thanked him for everything. I seriously hoped that John will be back – his help and support are priceless, but goodness knows what Chuck and Steve will do next. He's taking my Lear – but it doesn't matter, it's a Lutz plane anyway.

Terrell closely followed on Tank's heels.

"Have you got your standard hangar plans with you?" I asked him.

He sat down and started laughing.

When he'd recovered his breath, he said, "I knew you'd get around to asking me that ... I carry them wherever I go on CS&S business. How many do you need, the usual four?"

"Well no," I replied slightly embarrassed. "I'll need you to stake the ground out for a complete set of ten over on the far side – Bill says there's room – but I'm only going to ask Chuck for six as a starter."

Terrell actually put his arm round my shoulders and gave me a quick hug.

"Atta girl,." he said. "Chuck's sure to say yes, so I'll get that started. I think I'll put the aprons and foundations in for all ten – it'll be far cheaper doing it that way. The contractor's boss man is here at the moment, and they'll be glad for the work.

"I really came in to tell you that Chuck's hired Fran Fisher to supervise all the building work out here, and to draw up the plans for the conversions over on the Estate. She's a brilliant architect, you know, and a terror with sloppy builders.

"She's getting into the big airport in Oakland at around 1530 this afternoon, so I'll be going over to pick her up. Luckily, her flight is non-stop.

"I'm also waiting for a call for me to go over to Vegas – Steve and Chuck are bound to want some building work done there. I'd have gone with John this morning if Fran wasn't coming. Can I please have a plane to take me down in the morning?"

"Sure," I said, thinking about all the implications. "Use the little Cessna CJ-4. I'm expecting this Gunter fella, over at Concord, to bring us the first of two Eclipses this afternoon, so we'll use that if we need a small jet"

Willie then phoned from Lacy Field, asking me to come over as he had someone he wanted me to meet. We could have a sandwich and some nice iced tea first.

He was talking to a couple of men when I entered his office. He introduced the younger one as Geoff Banks, the accountant over at SallyAir, and the other man as Fritz, his part time accountant.

Geoff shook my hand, then headed for the door muttering something about a prior engagement. Willie and Fritz found this hilarious.

"Don't mind Geoff," chuckled Willie. "He comes over here to vent whenever his bosses upset him – that's about four times a week, but he's too well paid to actually consider leaving.

"I'll tell you more about SallyAir later."

"I'm pleased to meet you," Fritz began, "Georgie Bates called me earlier to offer me some extra work. Is that OK with both of you?"

I smiled at the old man – he must have been in his seventies, but he wanted more work. He reminded me of Mark down in Costa Rica.

"I'm sure Georgie explained that we need someone to sub for Sara, and how much time that will involve is anybody's guess. But if you are interested, I'm sure we have lots of other things that you can do.

"For example, we will be installing our company's computer programs soon. These cover accounts and just about every other aspect of our business - air charter, flight school, maintenance shops – the lot! Some of our personnel are bound to need help getting started."

Fritz looked gratified at my confidence in his abilities, and Willie winked his approval.

He called the three women who ran his office in. I'm sure do a great deal more. They were introduced as Jan, Angie, and Ellie. I liked all three.

It was just before the four left the room, that Willie dropped his bombshell.

"I think you all know that Star's company, CS&S, has bought Bill Bates out down the road. You may not be aware, however, that her company is now also my partner here in Lacy Field, and they have also bought the old General's estate. Star here, is the CS&S General Manager in the valley, and as such, she is in charge here whenever I'm absent."

Wow. I'd no idea – my job just doubled.

I smiled at the four who promised all the help I might need. When they'd left, I managed to look Willie in the eye – he'd obviously enjoyed his little drama.

"It's very necessary that everyone is aware of your position right from the start," he explained. "Nobody knows this, not even my best friend, Bill, but I need to go into hospital for a serious operation some time in the near future. The doctors are vague and won't say much, so that's all I can tell you.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.