43 Years in Hiding - Cover

43 Years in Hiding

Copyright© 2012 by JPM

Chapter 4

My issues of the previous 43 years have caught up to me at different times of my life.

I knew I wasn't taking care of my health. I wasn't taking care of my job. I certainly wasn't taking care of my husbandly role.

My doctor, family doctor for 20 years, left me a message on the weekend I was contemplating an end to it all.

He said that he really wished to keep seeing me but that, after a year of not heeding his reminder calls, he felt that if I did not want to continue in his care, he would understand, and drop me from his ranks.

Somehow, in the little place that our self preservation resides, I took this challenge he had presented to me and made an appointment with him that Monday for a time to see him on Wednesday.

I was nervous; I knew he would take my blood pressure (high), and want to schedule blood work (A1C especially; I had been borderline diabetic the last I had seen him).

Somehow, from some little space in my mind, I was able to relate to him my feelings of despair. I did not know where they were coming from, but I knew that I was burned out, rung out, and looking for a way out.

He discussed with me a lot of different topics and made me aware of the fact that I could take time off from work if my employer had a leave of absence program; in this case they did and I would be going on short term disability.

When I first approached my wife, she was shocked that I would need to take a short-term leave of absence.

Perhaps she had a premonition of the long term disability I would be facing later in the year.

I'm not sure.

But it was a long discussion filled with screaming and hateful words and, though I wanted to run and hide, I hung in there explaining what I was going through.

I do not believe she understood, nor believed me, that I had gotten to a point of contemplating suicide. She could not understand. It was not on her radar at all.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.