Always on Guard - Cover

Always on Guard

Copyright© 2012 by Jay Cantrell

Chapter 42

Ranita Renoit, the mother of Leyota, Chicote and Riset, had lamented for the previous three years about the way people behaved. She was from a different generation, one raised to respect authority and never question it. She was a firm monarchist. She believed, as a few did, that the King ruled by a right given by the Creator. His word was law and his actions infallible. The same held true for his progeny ... thus her dislike for Jorgarn.

It was bad enough that he had humiliated Denae by advertising the peccadilloes which led to her ousting as heiress. He had then run off and left the King in dire straits. It was worsened by the fact he took her favorite children with him. She could not understand how he had managed to corrupt them so thoroughly. It was bad enough that Riset had turned out to be such an embarrassment. There was even a rumor that she supported the uprising that appeared to be brewing.

Ranita was disappointed to learn that the Errant Knight (as she privately referred to Jorgarn) had returned. She was mortified when he requested a private meeting with her. She lacked the resolve to be truly rude to the man: He was, after all, powerful and dangerous. But her discourtesy stopped just shy of curtness.

Jorgarn had intended to tell the former Lady Renoit about his love for her daughter and that the woman's first grandchild would arrive soon – either with Leyota or shortly afterward. Instead he found himself on the defensive from the outset.

"If you have come to rally my support for the new Heiress, you've wasted your time," were the first words Ranita spoke – before Jorgarn had even managed to clear the doorway.

"Uh, no," Jorgarn said, "that is not the purpose of this visit. It is a social call."

Jorgarn had met Ranita only a few times. Both Leyota and Chicote spoke highly of their parents, so Jorgarn was put off by her antagonism – which he recognized when she did not offer him a seat and then frowned at his answer.

"I see no reason to socialize with the man who stole my children from me," she said.

Jorgarn couldn't help but roll his eyes.

"For the record, I will state – again – that I compelled no one to come with me," Jorgarn stated. "I invited no one, nor did I expect or anticipate the eagerness that those who followed me had to leave here. Your daughter and son were among the most insistent that they were going. I would have preferred that Leyota stay here, actually. But I also knew better than to try to change her mind when she had reached a decision about something. She is doing extremely well in Freeland."

"I know how well she is doing," Ranita interrupted. "I exchange letters with her frequently. Now, why are you here?"

Jorgarn came to a quick decision.

"I promised your son and daughter that I would look in on you when I arrived," Jorgarn lied. "Since you were away, this is the first chance I have had. I hope you are doing well, and if I can be of service to you, you need but ask."

"I'll keep that in mind," Ranita said as she arose. "I hope you have a good day."

Jorgarn accepted his obvious dismissal and left with a slight nod. He chuckled to himself when he left the sitting room. At least Eslada liked him, he thought ruefully.

Bralan seemed surprised to see him return so quickly. She looked at him questioningly when we walked into her study and sat down.

"You know that I have been unhappy with the information that Leyota failed to impart to me," Jorgarn stated. "Well, I have found one other slight detail she has left out."

Bralan had returned to her reading but glanced up to show Jorgarn she was listening.

"Her mother despises me," he said with a laugh. "I mean, absolute unadulterated abhorrence!"

Bralan frowned and marked her place in the records she was perusing.

"So she didn't take the news well?" she asked.

"I didn't tell her," Jorgarn admitted. "I told her I promised Chicote and Leyota that I would look in on her. I got the impression from her children that she takes Landor's side on just about every issue. It is my opinion that Riset turned out like she did because of that. But I didn't want to risk her running to the King in an attempt to discredit you. Although you and I have made no outward display – or even a covert display – of what is in store, I believe that the King might use that information as a reason to send me away."

Bralan scoffed.

"I believe he is well aware of the fact that I am the one who chooses if you stay or go," she answered smugly. "Actually, it is a nice feeling!"

She smiled and shook her head.

"Eslada made certain that people with large mouths knew of Landor's visit to Longview," she said. "That was for the sole purpose of taking this issue out of his hands. If I abdicate – and tell people it is because he refused to allow you to serve me..."

She giggled.

"Or service me, as the case may become," she added with a wide smile, "Then the monarchy is on its last legs. The King needs to come to the understanding, as I have and as I'm sure Denae has, that he rules only because the people allow it. The uprising in the north has its roots in Denae's follies but it has gained followers because people are disenchanted by the way it was handled – not only by Landor but by Denae and even by you."

"You have a small group, people like Leyota's mother, who believe the Royal Family should be allowed to rape and pillage and behave like boors simply because they are the Royal Family. Those people are not likely to join the unrest because it will mean going against their sitting monarch but they are none too happy about the King's daughter being sent away and they are none too happy about you returning to assist me. If the insurgency's goal was to simply oust me and reinstate Denae, those people would join. However since its stated goal is to overthrow Landor and insert Denae on the throne, they are in a quandary.

"They are certain Denae is the one who should follow Landor but they are not certain that it should be after having him killed. They would be much happier if the rebellion waited for him to die naturally, then killed me so Denae could take her rightful, Creator-given spot. The core of the group, however, is comprised of people who have lost influence and wealth under Landor's rule. He has done much to aid the commoners during his reign; those gains have come at the expense of some of the larger Lordships. My first family, the Symingtons, and the Fieths are prime examples of families whose fortunes have suffered during Landor's tenure. The Renoits sustained large losses, too, but they took it stoically. Because the King decreed it, it must be a good thing."

She shrugged.

"So those who have lost influence have banded together," Bralan continued. "They found kindred souls in the displaced families of Salaria, Gobrik and Vecad, if Leyota's information is correct. I believe she is right and it makes sense. They used Denae's dismissal and the expulsion of her son from the castle as a rallying point but it is all about people regaining the power they feel they are due."

Jorgarn paused before answering to comprise his thoughts.

"I realize there is more to this than simply Denae, though," he said. "Most of what you tell me makes sense except for one thing – Denae believes in what her father has accomplished. There was much about her thinking I was unaware of, I will admit that, but she believed in her father's goal of limiting the nobility and providing more influence to the commoner. She would have continued that."

"She likely would not live long enough to continue it on any great scale," Bralan told him. "She is a figurehead – a rallying point. She will never wield any great power if she ever became Queen. The rebellion will see to that. She will be crowned then in a month she will die mysteriously but only after stating that her only child is to succeed her. Then Troch and his allies can rule as the child's regent until he is of age and likely much longer. This traces back to well before you arrived in Emertland. Maybe to before you arrived under Creation. Our system here needs modification. Anyone who has watched a Lord or Lady abuse his or her position understands that, so no one understands it more than I. While it is new for the nobility to find displeasure with the Monarch, it is not so new for the commoner to be angered by the nobility."

"Which is interesting, I'll admit," Jorgarn said, "but it really has nothing to do with Leyota's mother disliking me."

Bralan laughed and shook her head.

"Yes, I suppose I got a bit sidetracked," she answered. "Ranita Renoit dislikes you because her children chose to leave her and go with you. She dislikes you because you refused to bow and scrape to Denae and because you still refuse to bow and scrape to King Landor."

More rich laughter emanated from Bralan's throat.

"I suppose I should have expected her reaction," she said. "She has been overheard referring to me as the Pretender to the Throne and to you as my Knight Errant. We will have to make sure we reach Leyota first with the news."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.