Where the Hell Am I? - Cover

Where the Hell Am I?

Copyright© 2012 by aubie56

Chapter 1

I stood guard in the corridor, musing to myself: Why the hell did I, John Winter, ever join the National Guard in the first place? I was a perfectly happy ancient languages major about to graduate from Auburn University when those damned terrorists raised their ugly heads. I figured that a few extra bucks wouldn't hurt, and the uniform really is a chick magnet, but I never expected to be called to active duty. I even had a great job already lined up for when I graduate. Right now, everything seems to be coming up smelling like shit!

The thing that really pisses me off is that I never left Auburn. I just got moved from one place on the campus to another place. Oh, well, I just hope that job is still there when I finally do get my degree.

Right now, I am "standing guard" just outside the door to a very secret experiment. Scuttlebutt has it that the eggheads are working on a time machine. Whatever it is, the powers-that-be are sure that it is a prime target for the terrorists. That's why I am standing here with my full battle uniform and kit. Shit, they even have me carrying a bayonet. Sure, I've been trained to use it, but I don't know that I could really stab somebody with it. Oh, yeah, I could shoot somebody at a distance, but up close? ... I don't know.

My assault weapon is even activated. The replicator for the ammunition is ready, and a kinetic round is in the chamber. The safety is on, but I could become a killing machine with a flick of my thumb! Shit, the thought, alone, scares me!

WHAT THE HELL! Some fool is shooting at me! OK, God Damn It, I'm going to shoot back. That's an ancient AK-47 ripoff that she is shooting, but the bullets are just as fatal as any modern weapon if you get hit. I'm wearing the latest in full body armor, but a direct hit will still break a bone if I'm struck in the right—make that the wrong place.

This looks like a job for full auto fire with kinetic slugs. We don't want stray explosive slugs inside a hallway. It looks like I got her with that last burst, but, shit, here come some more fanatics. I hope my automatic alarm system worked, because I could sure use some help.

The battle lasted for about 10 minutes, then there was a tremendous explosion that knocked me completely out. When I finally came to my senses, I couldn't figure out where I was. I was lying in what seemed to be an alley that was paved with dirt and horse shit. The buildings on both sides of me were on fire, and I heard a lot of shouting and screaming, none of it in a language I could understand.

I was completely alone in that alley, and I was still dressed in my uniform and full battle kit. My weapon was firmly grasped in my right hand in what I imagined was the equivalent of a death grip. If I was dead, this had to be Hell! But I sure didn't feel dead. I had some minor aches and pains, including a headache, but nothing that was debilitating, and that was a damned good thing!

I looked up the alley as I saw some movement in that direction. Some damned fool in a weird outfit ran toward me brandishing a very efficient looking spear. He had a look in his eye that left no doubt as to his intentions, so I gave him a three-round burst in the chest. Those .45 caliber slugs really do a number on flesh at this range, so he quickly lost interest in skewering me or in much of anything else.

I heard some women screaming in the building on my left, so I thought that, red-blooded American Boy Scout that I was, I ought to look into it. Besides, if the women were grateful enough, I might be able to promote a little pussy as a reward. That thought was enough to get my stiff muscles stirred into action. There was a door about five meters farther up the alley, so I had a convenient entrance.

I burst through the door and nearly vomited when I saw what was inside. Four White women in various states of undress were being raped by 11 Asian-looking men. What made me sick was the body parts lying about, most of which were bleeding. There were several torsos lying about with slit open bellies, one of which had been pregnant. All of the dead appeared to have been women, and from what I could see, they had all been raped before they were killed. Five of the men standing around were holding sabers as if they were about to use them as soon as their friends were through with the still living women.

I didn't really stop to think—I just started shooting! I tried to be careful to miss the women who were still alive, but I sprayed bullets with abandon at the men I could hit without hurting a woman. They acted like they had never heard gunfire before, so, at first, the men just turned to look at me. That didn't last long as the living ones saw what had happened to their friends. True to the era before firearms, the men tried to charge me. That just made my job easier, and it was only a few moments later that all of the rapists were dead.

The four rape victims were left lying where that had been, so I went to them to see if I could help. I was no medic, but I did have some training in basic field medicine, so I thought that I might be able to do something to make them feel better.

At first, the women were all afraid of me, but they calmed down when they saw that I was not dressed like the rapists and was trying to help them. All of the women were bleeding some, but there was no bad hemorrhaging, so I saw that they did not need medical help so much as they needed emotional help. On listening carefully, I was able to understand a few words here and there, but not enough to carry on a conversation.

I was trying to find out what was going on when one of the women gave out a piercing scream. Four men dressed like the rapists had come through the open door. They were all carrying sabers and looked like they were out for blood. I was not foolish enough to try to talk to them. Instead, I gave each man at least one bullet to meditate upon as he died.

The building we were in was still on fire, so we were going to have to leave. I pointed to the flames and gestured for the women to follow me. Three were eager to leave, but one was somewhat reluctant, but some rapid fire talk from one of the women convinced her to be sensible about the whole thing. Anyway, they wrapped their crotches in some rags and dressed enough to have some protection from the weather before following me out the door.

There was one woman the rest seemed to turn to for guidance, so I tried to ask her what was the quickest way out of town. Now that I had heard enough of her speech, I was able to figure out that she was speaking a variation on early Byzantine Greek. Fortunately, a couple of years ago, I had taken a semester of that to broaden my knowledge of Greek. I can't say that I was fluent in the dialect, but I did know the grammar, and did have a smattering of words. I had a knack for languages, so I figured to have enough to get by in a few days.

Meanwhile, she pointed out her suggestion, so I led the way. She was right behind me with a spear in hand. The other women had picked up large knives, but none had tried for a saber. We worked our way down the alley, which was rather long, by my standards. We finally came to a cross street and the woman had us go to the right.

We had hardly turned the corner when one of the other women yelled out a warning. I turned and saw nine horsemen riding toward us. They, too, were dressed like the rapists, so I had no trouble in deciding upon a course of action. I waved the women against the wall to get them out of the way. The men and horses were damned close by then, so there was no time for elegant gunplay. I just sprayed the whole bunch, men and horses, with several long bursts. I was working my replicator overtime, but it was performing without a hitch. Those guys at the Springfield Armory had done a masterful job.

The women were absolutely flabbergasted at the way the men and horses died without much fuss, and I could see an immediate relaxation of tension among all four. They actually looked like they believed that they would survive after all.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.