The Problems With Love
Chapter 17

Copyright© 2012 by Kaffir

Daphne and Terry duly arrived. The Irvines let Robin and Lottë go out to meet them. Daphne ran to Robin hugged and kissed him.

"Hello, Dad darling," she said giving him an extra squeeze.

She turned to Lottë and enveloped her too. "Hello, Lots my love."

She turned back to the young man, who was standing there with a slightly uncertain smile on his face, and held out her hand. He took it. He stood about five foot ten, slim with curly, sandy hair and blue eyes.

"Dad, this Terry Dixon. He's a biochemist like me but he's done his Master's and is a lecturer as well as doing research."

"Hello, Terry," smiled Robin holding out his hand. "Good to meet you at long last."

"How-do-you do, sir," replied Terry. "I'm sorry not to have met you sooner."

"And this is Dad's fiancée, Lottë," said Daphne.

Lottë smiled and held out her hand. Terry took it.

"Daphne warned me that you were much the same age as her but she never said anything about how lovely you look. Mr Stephens is clearly a man of taste."

Lottë smiled back but inwardly she cringed. That was the sort of remark that reminded her of her ordeal. She pulled herself together. Terry knew nothing of that and was merely being charming.

"Thank you," she replied quietly.

"Come on in and meet our hosts," said Robin. "Daphne's probably told you that Henry and I were each other's best men."

"Yes, she did. You must be very great friends, sir."

"Yes we are and for Heaven's sake drop the 'sir'; Robin."

"Thank you, Robin."

All the Irvines were waiting in the hall. The adults did not get a chance. The two little girls rushed squealing to Daphne who dropped to her knees and took them both in her arms.

"Hettie, Lorna!" She kissed them both. "I wasn't expecting to see you. How super!"

"We didn't 'spec' to see you, Aunty Daphne," said Hettie.

"No," added Lorna. "We didn't. It's a nice s'prise."

Daphne disentangled herself and stood up. She gave Matty and Henry a hug and a kiss and then introduced Terry.

"'Ey up, Carlos!" she said to Charles.

"'Ey up, Daphs!" he responded with a kiss. "You're not looking so bad for a change."

Daphne stuck her tongue out at him before pulling Jean into a hug. Neither felt constrained to say anything. They were just delighted to see each other.

Daphne introduced them both and the little girls to Terry.

Tea followed shortly. Naturally it revolved round the children and was a cheerful, noisy meal. Terry contributed little. After all, he was a stranger and this was a family. He was nevertheless very impressed by Hettie and Lorna's behaviour and said so to Jean who smiled proudly and delightedly.

All the same, as time went on everyone noticed that Terry would often override things that Daphne was saying or interrupt and take over a story. Uncharacteristically Daphne gave way.

Later it was time for drinks. Terry asked for a whisky and soda. Daphne got the giggles.

"Watch it, Terry," she said. "Uncle Henry's whiskies are lethal."

"That's all right," replied Terry. "You drive."

Daphne looked apprehensive. "Are you sure?"

"Quite," he said sharply and without a hint of a smile.

"OK. I'd better stick to tonic please, Uncle Henry."

Drinks loosened Terry's tongue and it became clear that he had views on a range of things and he was all but scathing of disagreement. He seemed unaware that conversation had abated.

Lottë tried to steer things to less contentious topics. "When are you both off to Portugal?" she asked Matty.

"Twenty-third for a fortnight."

"Good for you."

"Whereabouts?" asked Terry.

"In the Algarve, up in the hills behind Silves," replied Matty.

"Ah, away from the crowds. I found the Duoro valley more to my liking. That's quieter too. Then of course there are all the vineyards and one can get to the Lines of Torres Vedras quite quickly. Fascinating the Napoleonic Wars."

He was off again. Henry did not offer liqueurs after dinner and Daphne hustled Terry away as soon as she decently could. At that point Matty made a new pot of coffee and Henry gave everyone a drink. Nothing was said but the relief was palpable.

While they were getting ready for bed Lottë said, "Poor Daphne. She must have felt so embarrassed."

"Yes. He must surely have behaved like that before though, I'd have thought. The other thing was the way and number of times he casually slapped her down and how she accepted it. It was most unlike her."

"I know. She probably wanted to avoid a scene. I wonder if it was the booze. We all know that Daddy pours a pretty stiff one and Terry may not normally drink."

"Could be but you'd think he's old enough and intelligent enough to put the brakes on."

"Oh, Uncle Rob, I do hope she ditches him. I wouldn't want him in the family and I think he'd make Daphne miserable."

Robin took her in his arms and kissed her gently. "Me too, my darling. Frankly I can't think what she saw in him. I may have to say something to her but somehow I don't think it'll be necessary." He kissed her gently.

"I hope not. Come on, my love. Bed. I want to get at your face and then other places as well."

Daphne rang mid-morning on Sunday. "Dad, I'm sorry about the way Terry behaved yesterday."

"Thank you, poppet. Lottë and I were worried for you. Does he always treat you in that bossy offhand way?"

"No, Dad. It's a recent thing that has been growing. It won't be growing any further. I gave him his marching orders when we got back last night."

"Ouch! That must have been painful. You've been going out with him for quite a while."

"Not as painful as it was for him. He grabbed my wrist and started yelling at me and I thought things might get out of hand so I kneed him you know where and threatened to call the police."

"Did you just?"

"Yup! He went quite quietly."

"Be careful, Daphne my sweet. He may try to get his revenge."

"Yeah, I'd thought of that so it'll be safety in numbers for a while, I guess."

"That sounds sensible."

"Dad, could you hand me over to Aunt Matty so that I can thank her and apologise too?"

"Yes, of course. Goodbye, sweety."

"'Bye, Dad. Give Lots my love and a kiss."

Robin took the phone through to Matty who, with Lottë sitting at the kitchen table, was making coffee.

"Daphne for you," he said and then turning to Lottë, "She sends you her love and asked me to give you a kiss."

He did so and Lottë hung on to his head. She kissed him. "And that's from me to you, free and for gratis."

Matty and Lottë brought the coffee through a few minutes later and Matty handed Robin's phone back to him. "Well, I think she's done the right thing," she remarked.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.