The Protector - Cover

The Protector

Copyright© 2012 by terriblethom

Chapter 6

When I woke up again, I could see I was in a different room. The bed now sat so that it faced the open door. I used the little device pinned to my pillow to raise the head up to where I could see into the hall. Since I wasn't strapped down anymore, I was able to grab the cup at the bedside that was sweating from its cold contents and take a drink. Damn, but that felt good going down my parched throat. I started thinking about the desert training I had gone through when my thoughts were interrupted by the sight of my three closest friends coming around the corner together. Myrna was leading and they were all in a deep conversation as they walked.

I had just started to call out to them when a small man in glasses caught up to them and said something. From what I could see, it upset Sally bad enough that she started crying. Now this made me furious. My arm was well wrapped and there was a sling on it, so I got up and sat on the edge of the bed long enough to let the dizziness pass. I would know better than to try any sudden movements like that again, I thought to myself. The two IV bottles were on a rolling stand so I could move them. I had pajama bottoms on instead of a gown, so I didn't have to worry about showing my skinny butt as I walked. I headed for the door to see what was going on. They were in animated conversation with their backs to me, so I was able to get pretty close before any of them noticed me.

The little bald guy was telling them to stay out of my room until he had a chance to take my statement about what happened, and if they disobeyed his orders, he would have them arrested for impeding a Federal Investigation. I had no idea what he was talking about, but the three people standing there were the only friends and pseudo family I had. Nobody was going to threaten them as long as I could still breathe.

"Mr., I don't know who the hell you are, but if you ever speak to my family like that again, you better hope that I don't heal. Now take off so I can spend some time with them without your threats!"

"I am the field supervisor for the Marshals Service in this area and we need to take your statement before we allow anyone else to talk to you, Mr. Morgan. I suggest you drop the attitude before I have to place you under arrest for failing to cooperate."

"You little self created Hitler, you don't even want to try to push that one. I will have your ass in a sling so quick your head will spin. You need to check my files before you make threats, because I have three Senators that would love to hear you threaten me. If you wish I would be glad to call them for you. Also, I don't work for you or your service so I don't follow your orders or rules. I am an Interpol agent on permanent assignment to the States, and answer only to them and the FBI. Now leave before I completely lose my temper."

"Oh I will leave, Mr. Morgan, but I will be back with men to back me up. If you think you're so powerful, you are mistaken. Maybe you better call an attorney, because if they go into that room with you, I will have them all arrested and you will be the first."

I watched as he stomped down the hall. Then I turned and smiled at the girls because they were all standing with their mouths hanging open and a stupid look on their faces. Myrna was the most obvious one, and that made it even sweeter for me because I have never seen her without something to say in any situation.

"Umm girls, do one of you have a cell phone I can use for a little bit?"

"Oh Jon!" Sally ran up and hugged me, reminding me of my shoulder wound real fast. I must have grunted, because she quickly let loose of me and stepped back.

"I am so glad you are ok. For awhile I thought you were going to bleed to death. The doctor told us you would be just fine in a few weeks without any permanent damage to your shoulder or chest. He said you were very lucky they were high velocity rounds and went through without doing any permanent damage."

"The nurse said they recovered a bullet from my shoulder."

"Yea the doctor told us about it, but he said it had been in there for many years, and was in the muscle mass. He said he figured it had finally worked its way out far enough to where he could take it out. Jon, how many times have you been shot?"

"Well Sally, if you're in the service long enough, you're bound to catch one sooner or later. I don't think I want to talk about it now, but I do need to make some calls before that runt comes back. Does one of you have a cell phone I can use?"

"Here, I have yours in my purse. They tried to take it but I hid it from them. Jon, why did he say we weren't family? I mean, you practically raised me since I became your ward. To me, you're the only family I have except for Myrna and Sarah."

"Sally, as far as I'm concerned you're the daughter I never had and always will be. I would have adopted you, but your mom probably would never sign the papers, if we could even find her. Now I need to make some calls, so can we talk about this later please?"

I knew exactly where her mom was, but I wasn't about to tell her unless she asked me point blank about her. I had seen the look in Sarah's eyes as we talked, and I knew she wanted to ask me a couple of personal questions also. I had side stepped it by asking for the phone, but I had a feeling she wouldn't give up. I knew I would have to sit down and have a serious talk with her sooner or later.

I headed back to my room with all three following me as I slowly walked. Sally was steering the IV bottles so I could dial the phone. I was still a little puzzled as to why Myrna had been so quiet, but with the look on her face, I wasn't about to ask. I climbed back in the bed and made myself comfortable. I took another sip of water and hit the dial button. When he answered the phone, my grandfather's attorney immediately asked if I was going to be ok and if he could come and visit me. He also said he had some papers I had to sign concerning the estate. I answered yes to all his questions, and then asked him to call Jerry Lumus and tell him he was to come to the hospital immediately because I was going to need him. He wanted to know what was going on, so I filled him in on everything that I knew about. To say he was pissed, would be putting it mildly. He hung up with me after saying that Jerry would be there within the hour or he would be looking for a new job. He was the only one besides me that knew I secretly owned Jerry's law firm and paid the salaries of the attorneys that worked for him.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.