David and Bathsheba - Cover

David and Bathsheba

Copyright© 2011 by Kaffir

Chapter 5

It was clear at breakfast that Susie had not slept well if at all. Jenny was still with her. They ate their breakfast in silence. Susie only picked at hers. She was in no shape and far from her usual vibrant self.

As they drank their coffee Tom took her hand in his. "Susie," he said gently, "we've got to go and report this formally to Tony."

She nodded resignedly. He told her what he was going to suggest to Tony.

"OK," she said listlessly. "I just want to get away from this place."

At five to seven they got up from the table. "Can Jenny come too?" Susie asked.

"Yes of course."

Tom looked enquiringly at Jenny who nodded. The four of them walked across to Tony's office.

"I'll wait out here," said Bill.

Susie smiled gratefully at him.

Tony stood and came round from behind his desk when they walked in. He did not attempt to take Susie's hands. He looked sad and compassionate.

"I'm so sorry, Susie," said gently. "I really, really am."

She smiled back wanly. "Thank you, Tony."

"Right, sit yourselves down. Bill has given me an outline of what he understands happened. I don't want or need to go over it again. Andy Rivers attempted to rape Susie and was prevented from doing so by Tom. That is sufficient for me to send him home to face the wrath of the company and the enquiries of the police. Bill has told me, Tom, of the actions you were going to propose and if you, Susie, are happy I intend to take them."

Susie nodded.

"Right. Well in that case I am sure that you can't wait to get away from here. I'd like to thank you both for the help you've given us. It has been invaluable. I have the concrete contractor coming to see me later this morning. You will be able to see the outcome of our meeting when you go to the office on Monday morning. Thank you both very much indeed."

He stood.

"Just two things, Tony, if I may," said Tom. "First of all, have you any idea how he managed to unlock Susie's door."

"Yes. It appears that he used the trick of putting a piece of paper under the door below the lock and then pushing the key out so that it fell onto the paper and he was able to pull it under the door. We shall be changing all the locks immediately."

"I see. Thank you, Tony. The second thing is a little more tricky." He pulled his pistol and the magazine out of his pocket. "I smuggled these out here and I could try and take them back the same way. I just wondered though whether you could get them put in the diplomatic bag. If not could you get rid of them for me?"

Tony took the pistol. "I'll see what I can do," he said. He put it and the ammunition in the drawer of his desk.

He shook hands with them both and they and Jenny left.

"Goodbye, my dear," said Jenny to Susie and kissed her cheek. That was not enough for Susie who flung her arms round her.

"Thank you," she said. "I don't know what I'd have done without you."

Jenny smiled gently. "Continued to cling to Tom and embarrassed him no end, I should imagine."

Susie smiled back. Everyone was delighted to see it.

Bill had collected their bags from their rooms so they moved straight off to the helicopter and left for the airport.

Bill left them at the check-in. "Safe journey home," he said, "and thanks for your help. We really needed it."

He shook hands with Tom and then took Susie's in his. "I'm sorry that happened on my watch," he said.

She smiled back at him. "No fault of yours. Thank you for looking after us so well." She stood up on tiptoe and gave him a peck on the lips. Bill blushed, smiled awkwardly and left them.

"Well done, Susie," said Tom. "You've made him feel a lot better."

The homeward journey was rather different than the outward one. Susie was still in need of reassurance. She raised the arm rest between them and snuggled up against Tom.

"Do you mind?" she asked timidly.

"Not at all," Tom smiled back at her putting his arm round her shoulders and giving them a gentle squeeze. "I shall just have to pretend that as a respectable married man I'm not really enjoying it."

Susie smiled shyly back. "And I shall have to convince myself that I'm not being unfaithful to my Rory. It's just that I need to feel safe."

Tom gave her another squeeze. "I understand."

Susie was asleep by the time the seat belt lights went out. Tom remained awake and buckled up.

"Poor girl," he thought. "Thank God her father will be meeting her and that she won't have to find her own way home. Actually Briony and I could have done that if it was necessary. I wonder if her fiancé is going to be about this weekend. I do hope so. He'll be a comfort and reassurance to her." His mind wandered over the last three days. "I hope Tony is tough with those contractors. I must try and see his report before I get called in for a debrief. I wasn't impressed with the way he'd handled things so far but I don't want to do him down. This may have been the thing to sharpen him up a bit and realise the extent of his responsibilities."

He drifted off to sleep himself and his head fell gently onto Susie's. A passing stewardess smiled at them.

She woke them an hour later for lunch. Flying business class did not seem to make much difference to it and neither of them ate it all. They did not feel sleepy afterwards but Susie resumed her position.

"Tom?" she asked hesitantly.

"Mm?"

"You don't think I led him on, do you?"

"No! Certainly not judging from what you told me after dinner last night."

"You don't think I was flirty during the day?"

"No. You were just your usual cheerful, bouncy self." He squeezed her shoulders and grinned at her. "Unless of course you changed as soon as I left the lab."

She shook her head.

"Well then."

"It's just that I don't understand why he did it."

"Nor do I. OK, they've been pretty well starved of female company for three months but that doesn't excuse his behaviour. It also seems odd that he would wind himself up on Dutch courage." He chuckled. "On the other hand, he may never in his life have been so close to such a pretty, fun girl and that turned his head." He became serious again. "I wonder what his wife's like. It's going to be horrible for her, poor girl."

Susie nodded and then became thoughtful. "You don't think she'll blame me, do you?"

"She might. I don't doubt he'll try to shift the blame off himself."

"Oh no!"

"I'm afraid that when it comes to court his barrister will try to make it appear that way."

"Oh Lord!"

"Don't worry. We'll make sure both technicians are there to tell the truth."

She nodded. "That's not going to be much fun."

"No but you'll have Briony and me there not to mention your parents and Rory to give you moral support."

"Mm." She did not sound convinced.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.