University
Chapter 58

Copyright© 2011 by Peter H. Salus

"That's interesting," Rachel remarked when I told her about Sarah's interest. "We went on a trip to the preparation department at the museum in Perth when I was in school." [Western Australian Museum]

"Do you mind my spending the dosh?"

"It's only money. Didn't we get half back from Al already?"

"Yes."

"So it's a good investment. Do we have plans for the New Year?"

"No. But I'd just as soon watch the fireworks on the telly. I'm not big on crush, noise and drunks this year. We can get a bottle of good champagne and stay home."

"I'll get some cheeses and pate and Jacob's."

"A box of Carr's, too."

"No problem. We should get some real food, too."

"Some chops, some steak, salad, and potatoes should hold us. We'll make a trip of it in the morning."

Sarah called at 2000 and said that the next course was at the end of January – 27th through 31st. They wanted 50% up front. I told her fine, did she want a cheque or what. She asked if she could come by in the morning. I said yes, but that we needed to do household shopping. She suggested 1300.

Rachel just shrugged when I told her.

We did all our shopping and scavenged lunch before Sarah burst in.

"Can Henry meet me here?"

"Hello, Sarah," said Rachel. "Would you like to expand on that?"

"Huh? Hi, Rachel. I want him to see the fireworks. We'll go down by the Harbour. We could meet here or downtown."

"No problem," I said. "I think Rachel thought you wanted to use the flat for an assignation."

"Oh. No. That's not a problem."

"Why don't you meet him near the Gallery? He lives near there and it'd be crazy to come here and then go back."

"You're right, Pat. Where's the best place to see everything?"

"A bar with a wide-screen."

"Live."

Rachel thought for a bit. "Circular Quay. Get there before 1700. Sit outside one of the restaurants. Get nibbles and wine or beer. As long as you're buying, they'll let you stay. If you get there much after 1800, it'll be crowded already."

"Sounds good. Let me call him." Sarah went into our bedroom. I got my chequebook.

"I'm going to give her three cheques," I said. "Two made out to this Academy, each for $2500, and one for $5000 made out to her."

"Good idea." She looked at me. "Just friends? Just sex? Something more?"

"We'll find out. Don't push her."

"Right."

Sarah emerged, smiling. "We're meeting in front of the Intercontinental around 1630. Thanks for the tip."

"Sit down for a few minutes," I said, "And tell us about this Academy and about taxidermy."

"OK," she just plopped.

"Tea?" asked Rachel.

"Please. Well, as I told you, I loved your python. And I loved what that bloke did with it for you. Then, three years ago, my class went on a trip to the museum and heard a talk by Kirsten Tullis, who's Senior Preparator at the WA Museum. She described the processes involved in recreating animals for display there. She said that it was bringing the animals back to life. I loved the idea. But when I spoke to mum, she squashed the whole idea. But I've seen ads for taxidermists and 'preparators' from museums all over the country: Canberra, Melbourne, smaller places. And, of course, there are the folks who do roos and dingos and emus and fish. Gators and lizards and snakes, too." She ran out of steam. Rachel had put a mug of tea in front of her. "Thanks."

"Sounds fine," I said. "Most likely you do a course and get hired somewhere at a pittance as an assistant or an aide. Then you move after a year or two. Most likely it doesn't take as long to be a professional as becoming a lawyer or a physician."

"That's my idea, too."

"OK. I'm going to give you three cheques. Two made out to this Academy, each for half the tuition. The third to you for $5000. Do you use Commonwealth?" Sarah nodded. "Good. You can deposit the big cheque in your account through the ATM near the station."

I wrote out the cheques. I handed her the first. "Write 'for deposit only' on the back, please."

While she did so, I wrote the next one. "Write 'tuition deposit' on this one ... And 'tuition balance' on this one. Oh, and 'for Sarah Hollister' one those two."

"Sneaky bastard!"

"Not at all. 'Sneaky' perhaps, but I assure you we have the same parents." Rachel laughed.

"Anyway, I'll walk to the station with you. Put those two cheques for the Academy in your purse. You can mail one of them the day after tomorrow."

"Have a happy New Year," said Rachel.

"Oh. Yes, you two, too. I'm so happy! You really are the best brother!"

"Well, your best brother, perhaps. Anyway, it's ten thousand dollars. If you screw this up, we'll be out a bit of dosh. But you'll be out of supporters."

"I know."

"And you've got to talk to mum tomorrow or the next day. Whenever you see her."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I don't expect Henry's taking you home tonight."

"No. More likely tomorrow afternoon."

"So there you are. Let's go to the bank and the station."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.