University - Cover

University

Copyright© 2011 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 51

Rachel left to return to the Gallery and I had the room locked up prior to finding my dad's office.

"Body bags," he told me. "They're called 'body bags.' I knew that we had a committee to return materials, but I hadn't realized there were still human remains. I'll have something done. You go home. I'll call you when they're gone."

"Thanks."

"It's horrid to think of how barbaric our ancestors were."

"Not much worse than stealing children, though. Is it?"

"No. We colonizers have a lot to atone for."

I phoned Rachel and told her I'd meet her at home.

We talked about it in the morning; I'd had a bad night.

"You need to relax," she said. "You didn't do anything; in fact, the odds are overwhelming that no one even in your grandparents' families had anything to do with maltreating the original Australians. Your grandfather was known to several bands as a good European. Should I feel guilty about the Japanese bombings over 70 years ago? My grandfather was just an infant in 1945."

"You're right. But it's quite awful."

"True. But trying to get a constitutional change where citizenship is concerned is more important. That's immediate. The relics and remains are backward-looking, not prospective."

"How did I get such a smart wife?"

"That's 'wifie' to you!"

"Yes, dear."

"Did you know Cait's going west for Christmas and the New Year?"

"No. I hadn't thought about it at all."

"Well, I think we should have them and Sarah and maybe Mark and Allison and have a sort of pre-Christmas anniversary dinner somewhere."

"Nice notion. You wouldn't have an eighth in your head, so Sarah won't be odd woman?"

"Well..."

"And it wouldn't happen to be male?"

"Am I evil?"

"No. Who is he?"

"He's about a year or two older than us. His name is Henry. He said he was called 'Henry Unpronounceable'. He's a student intern at the Gallery. He's from Hawaii and he's part or mostly Hawaiian. He's interested in the art of Oceania."

"Sounds interesting. When do you want to do this?"

"This weekend. I think Cait wants to fly out next week."

"Well, hop on the phone. When you know how many, we'll decide on a venue."

"Venue?"

"Location ... remember I'm a law student."

"Right. I'll call Allison and Cait first."

It turned out that Mark was leaving for Manilla late next week and that Cait was flying to Perth on Wednesday. Rachel wanted to be at the Gallery after lunch and would talk to Henry. I'd call Sarah after dinner, by which time we should have worked out a restaurant. After Rachel left, I got back to criminal procedure.

Mum phoned in the afternoon. "A galah told me you were unhappy."

"Yes. Did he tell you why?"

"Of course. I just wanted to make sure you weren't taking too much on. None of us were involved; none of your grandparents were involved; and I'm certain the Eyres weren't, either."

"'Every man's death diminishes me, for I am involved in mankind.'"

"Donne. I know."

"Don't worry. Anyway, I was just reading. You've given me a break. I'll go back now."

"Science fiction?"

"No. Law. Less entertaining."

"I'll let you go, then."

"Thanks, Mum."

But I didn't return to my reading. I realized that my serpent, or the stone serpent, or the Great Serpent had led me to those body bags. Their macabre contents would (finally?) be dealt with. Yet another piece of Australia would be at peace.

I was still musing when my phone rang again. It was Rachel to report that Henry had agreed and that she was wondering whether Sunday might be best, as pre-Christmas parties would be going on. She also suggested that I go out and buy food for dinner. Another way to avoid reading.

At dinner I pointed out that many places wouldn't be open on a Sunday evening.

"So we'll go someplace that is. There are our friends! We're not dressing formal." She was right.

"Well, any dietary restrictions that you know of?"

"I seem to recall Cait being off quadrupeds, but she eats fowl and seafood."

"So no barbeque, but pretty much anything else?"

"Right. How about that Italian place that makes its own pasta?"

"Italian Bowl? They're probably open Sundays. And Twelve is, too. Why don't you phone them and ask whether they'll take a reservation for eight for Sunday."

So we ended up with Twelve on King Street at 1800 on Sunday. I proceeded to call Sarah and Al while Rachel phoned Allison. She'd talk to Henry in the morning. And I made a mental note to stop and get cash and an anniversary gift.

Sarah wanted to know whether she could sleep here. She was still new to Sydney and didn't like traveling late at night. I said 'sure, ' and made another note to talk to Rachel before we went to sleep. I hadn't realized just how complicated dinner could get.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.