The Last Chance - Cover

The Last Chance

Copyright© 2011 by Ben

Chapter 9

Harry spent the rest of the month up until the 27th following his schedule. Following his lunch on the 27th he apparated to St. Mungo's for his checkup. He went to the front desk and said to the receptionist "I have an appointment checkup scheduled for today with Healer Marci Brisbank."

The witch nodded and peering at him said "I remember you! You're the one that cracked the floo! I see that you can now apparate. So is it more comfortable?"

"It sure is. Thank you for telling me of a way to gain an early license."

"No problem. I only knew because I have an ancestor two generations back who had the same problem. Glad I could help. Now out take a seat and I'll tell Marci you're here alright?"

Harry nodded and sat down musing over all of the things that he had accomplished since the last time he was here. He had advanced enough in his studies of Charms, Transfiguration and Potions to be considered a third year student old style. His ancient Runes studies were going particularly well as he now knew the Norse Elder Futhark in its entirety and had a good start in Egyptian Runes. Hywel had suggested that he learn Egyptian Runes, then Sumerian Runes as they were some of the oldest known runes in the world, after he knew those he was to study the Celtic runes as they were extremely versatile and powerful. His studies in Arithmatcy were going decently and he could now with some difficulty break down a spell and list its components. It sucked not being able to use a computer for this, but it is the way it is. His studies in offensive magic were going ok, but it would be a long time before Harry felt he would be able to duel competently with anyone above someone in school. He was now able to run thirty minutes in the speed challenge and just this day had been able to do it for forty three minutes. Patricia had adjusted his schedule so that he was now only doing the speed challenge once a day. She now had him running a 10 mile course around the property carrying a heavy backpack. Once he was able to run the course in thirty minutes she would up the weight of the backpack until he was carrying about thirty pounds. Once he had reached that level she would keep him running with the weight once a day. For her third training period she was beginning to teach him Krav Maga. Harry's body was now compact and his muscles while not bulky were rock hard as all of his exercises were to give him endurance and strength, not to bulk up or look showy with massive muscles. His scars from what he could tell were almost gone except for the one on his forehead. He felt that he had grown some, but couldn't really tell. His Occlumency was now advanced enough that he was only sleeping for four hours every night.

Harry sat there for about five minutes until a door opened and Marci called out "I'm here. So follow me please."

She then led the way to the same exact room Harry was in before. She took out her wand and waved it over him for several seconds then put it away. She asked while reading the notes her diagnostic had revealed "have you been taking the potions and applying the salve every day?"

Nodding Harry replied in a voice brimming with confidence "I have done so, in addition I have been exercising rigorously everyday as well."

Marci nodded and continued to read the parchment that contained all of her findings. Finishing her reading she said "well according to what I have found out you no longer need to take the potion or apply the salve anymore. All of your scars have disappeared, your bones have been sufficiently strengthened and your height and muscle mass are in the upper percentile for your age."

"Cool. Can I ask some questions?"

"Sure. What do want to know?"

"Well I was wondering if you would be able to tell me what my eventual height would top out at. I was also wondering why the salve didn't affect the scar on my forehead."

"Well as to the scar on your forehead it was caused by a combination of things. From what I can tell your mother combined three different protections on you. The first was a standard protection that all magical parents put on their children. It protects them from getting hurt too badly from childhood mishaps. The second was a blood magic protection placed on you that was powered by her sacrificing her life. The third was a ward she placed on you that was constructed by use of blood and shaped into the rune Sowilo which she carved onto your forehead. Now this carving would have healed completely if you were never hit by the killing curse, but since you were it caused the scar to become permanent. I personally would consider it a small sacrifice to have lived from the casting of that curse. Since all these things combined went into making your famous scar no healer will be able to remove it, in addition you will be unable to move the scar to another location on your body either. Sorry about that, but there is nothing I or anyone else can do." She sat silent for a few seconds then continued on briskly "now as to your eventual height. You should reach 6' 3" tall. You will never be bulky or massive in size, but your muscles will be rather defined."

"Thank you for your help ma'am. Is there anything else?"

"No that should be it. Oh to satisfy my curiosity, why have you grown your hair out?"

Harry whose hair had lengthened to his shoulders, as a result of some hair growth potions, and as a result was much more manageable said "well I apparently inherited my Dad's unruly hair and I dislike the way it always looks so messy no matter what I did with it when it is short. So I decided to grow my hair out some to see if the extra length would help manage it. Since it has done so I believe I'll grow it out until it's about the length of my shoulder blades."

"Interesting; well I must say that it looks rather distinguishing. I'll lead you out alright?"

Harry nodded and went back to the lobby; he then apparated to Diagon Alley to conduct the last of his shopping. He went into Madam Malkins and said to Madam Malkin "I would like four robes please; they should have an interior lining made of silk and wool exterior."

She nodded and measured him, finishing up she asked "standard charms on them?"

"Yes please. I will also need four pairs of slacks and three white collar shirts along with three ties, all with the standard charms."

"Very good milord. Your order should be ready in twenty minutes."

"Thank you madam." Harry then made his way to the leather store and once in there picked out two pairs of the boots that he liked so much, as well as several more socks. Once he was done there he made his way to the Apothecary and topped off his potion supplies. Once he had them purchased he called out "Venty" and handed them to his elf; and told him "put these in the library alright? I need to sort them out as I will be taking these with me to Hogwarts." The elf disappeared with the supplies and he made his way to a general supply store. Once in there he purchased ten tubes of toothpaste and several tooth brushes. He then made his way back to Madam Malkins and paid for his purchases. With them in hand he apparated back to his castle and sorted all of his things out.

Deciding he had done enough damage to his schedule for the day got back onto it. He continued his schedule for the rest of the day.


All throughout Hogwarts Castle

August 12th, 1991

All of the teachers were present in the castle and Hogwarts decided to start making the changes now. She had perused the books the heir had sent her and had updated them to reflect new knowledge in their fields. Once they had been updated she had then copied them thousands of times over. Once that was done she created several copies of the magically binding contract that she and Harry had agreed on. Feeling giddy at once more being allowed to help her students directly she mentally sent out a mental call to all the teachers except for Quirrell saying 'all teachers are required to gather in conference room seven immediately. I repeat all teachers are to gather in conference room seven immediately.'

All throughout the immense building teachers were assaulted by a mental voice ringing in their heads. All of them made their way to the aforementioned room as quick as they could as they had no desire to have that voice inflicted on them, except for a barmy old coot that carried the title of Headmaster. He tried for several minutes to mentally contact that voice that had breached his mental barriers like they were made of tissue paper! After trying for several minutes he was again assaulted by the voice saying 'stop trying to find out about me Dumbledore and get down to conference room seven NOW!' Staggering back in reaction to the mental shout Dumbledore scurried to the room and sat down at the head of the table. He sat there pondering on what could have commanded him so, but came up empty. He looked on as one by one all of the teachers along with Hagrid and Filch and Madam Pomfrey with the exception of Quirrell came in and sat down.

Once they were all there a figure shimmered into existence revealing a woman about 5' 2" tall with long black hair. She spoke in the same voice that had contacted them earlier saying "I am the physical projection of Hogwarts and I have been given permission from the descendant of the four founders for some actions I have dearly wanted to take for a couple of centuries."

Dumbledore interrupted her saying "can you tell me who the heir is?"

The lady turned her eyes on him and said scathingly "I suggest you cease interrupting me before I have said what I want to say Headmaster otherwise I will strip you of all authority of Headmaster and boot you out of the castle and forever deny you entry forthwith." She then faced the rest of the teachers and said "that goes for the rest of you as well." She cleared her throat and smiling said "now that is taken care of; as I was saying I have some things that all of you must comply with or you will be fired and ejected from here. Now the first thing that I want to immediately seen done concerns all the muggleborn children that don't attend this school; a trust fund has been set up that would adequately pay for all clothing, and supplies needed to attend here yet you still force them to pay for coming here? That shall immediately change starting now. So all of you must go back to all the parents of the current muggleborns and reimburse them for their payment for these items. Item the second is that all magical children must, I repeat must receive a magical education, no exceptions. So if the parents of a muggleborn refuse to allow their children to attend you must first notify them that to do so would constitute their becoming criminals and subject to prosecution, if that does not suffice you shall immediately take the children from there and they shall henceforth be allowed to live here if you cannot find a wizarding family to take them in. No student is allowed to live in an orphanage from this day hence. The reasons for this action is because the magical world still has to follow some of the rules that are valid in the U.K. as we are still subjects to the crown and one of those laws is that all children until the age of majority must receive an education. Since we are the only school in Britain that teaches magic it falls onto us to teach all the magical children under the age of 17 magic if we don't want to be judged by magic as breaking our contract with the crown, the only exemptions to this rule is if the parent can swear a magically binding Oath that they will receive an education from tutors or that their children shall be attending another magic school."

"The next item concerns the various subjects taught here. Herbology, Astronomy, Music, Art, Muggle Art, Ghoul Studies, Care of Magical Creatures, Apparition, Muggle Music and Alchemy are fine as they are now. However Transfiguration, Charms, Potions, History of Magic, Ancient Studies, Muggle Studies, Divination, Ancient Runes, Arithmatcy and Ancient Studies need some adjustment." She then cleared her throat and spoke with a ringing power "for History of Magic and Ancient Studies Professor Cuthbert Binns is hereby sacked and banished from the castle."

Binns stood up and said "it has been an honor teaching here and I thank you for allowing me to do so all these years." Binns then turned started walking away until he suddenly faded away never to be seen or heard of again.

Hogwarts then said "for Divination. This class shall be taught to the standard curriculum and the teacher shall no longer mention in any way the death of students and shall teach to the standard set forth by the Council of Delphi, in addition she shall no longer drink any alcoholic beverage except at for the nights of Friday and Saturday."

Trelawney stood and said "I shall follow your directions milady" and sat down looking relived that she wasn't cast out like Binns.

Hogwarts then continued on with "the curriculum of Muggle Studies shall henceforth be taught by a muggleborn who has lived in the muggle world within the past five years; and its subject brought up to date by that person, therefore Charity Burbage is hereby replaced by that person and will no longer teach Muggle Studies, she is retained on the staff as she will continue to teach Muggle Art and Muggle Music."

Charity stood up and announced "I thank you and will comply with your dictates."

Hogwarts then said "the course outlines for Charms, Transfiguration, Ancient Runes and Arithmatcy shall have their courses brought up to the high standard they were taught to 350 years ago before the courses were degraded to their current pitiful state. I have received copies of the textbooks for these courses as they were taught then and updated them myself allowing for some of the recent discoveries made in those subjects." A pile of books appeared on the table sorted by subject appearing in front of the particular teacher of that subject. The teachers immediately opened the books and rapidly scanned them. Once they had put them down Hogwarts then said "I realize that this year's second through seventh years are going to be distraught by having to put even more time into their workloads by having to learn even more material to be considered fully caught up, but it cannot be helped. The O.W.L.S. and the N.E.W.T.S. will also have to be updated as well to reflect what the new standard is. Since these books will now be provided by me students will no longer have to purchase books in those subjects. If you feel that the students should need to have some supplementary material then contact me via on the Hogwarts elves and send the book to me. I shall scan it and if I feel that it is necessary then I will compile the new information into a book and make sufficient copies for the students."

All of the professors that were affected by this proclamation affirmed that they would comply with this new standard and they would gladly devote however much time as was needed to get the students caught up.

Hogwarts then said "as for Potions the course as it is printed is fine. The problem is with the teacher so called. SEVERUS TOBIAS SNAPE you are hereby commanded to actually teach the subject instead of putting poorly written and sometimes incorrect instructions on a chalkboard and sitting down. You are also commanded to cease and desist from providing private tutoring in the Slytherin common room and shall from this day henceforth conduct any and all instruction outside of the classroom in the potions laboratory. These instructional periods are to be open to anyone and everyone who wishes to practice there. Any sign of discrimination based upon blood status or house affiliation is hereby forbidden. You shall comply with this or you shall be sacked and banished from the castle."

Snape with his face as expressionless as ever stood and said "I shall bow to your will in these matters."

Hogwarts continued on with "next item is that SEVERUS TOBIAS SNAPE is hereby removed from his position of head of Slytherin. Since Septima Vector is the only staff member that was a Slytherin she is installed as Head of Slytherin. MINERVA MCGONAGOOLL is hereby put on notice that if she does not gain control of the bullies currently operating in her house that she will also be removed from her position as Head of Gryffindor as well."

Snape once more stood up and said "I shall follow your direction" and sat down seething and wishing that he could just leave after suffering this humiliation, but no he had to stay here for protection. Minerva also stood up and vowed to get a handle on the problems in her house. Septima then stood up and announced that she would be happy to take over as Head of Slytherin.

Hogwarts then continued on with "ALBUS PERCIVAL WULFRIC BRIAN DUMBLEDORE is hereby stripped of all Loco Parentis rights and shall henceforth no longer interfere with any care of a student here. He shall also be stripped of all magical guardian rights. He shall henceforth no longer interfere in the life of any child beyond his duties as Headmaster. In addition he shall no longer control the budget, nor shall he be able to hire any teachers for a period of no less than 10 years. If he does not comply he shall be stripped of his magics and expelled from Hogwarts."

Dumbledore nodded and said sadly "I don't know of what I have done that could of caused you to do this, but I hope that you can forgive an old man his failings."

Hogwarts nodded and said "I can forgive you, but I will never forget your transgressions Dumbledore. Your tenure is one of the lowest in my long history. I hope you reflect on this and learn some new ways to act. Pomona Sprout is to assume Magical Guardianship of all of the children attending here as well as act in Loco Parentis concerning the students here and she will act in coordination with Minerva McGonagall. I gave this duty to here as Minerva already had her hands full with all of her duties in addition I give her the power to hire any and all new teachers for a period of no less than 10 years. Filius Flitwick shall have control of all monetary matters including the budget. An updating copy of all monies that this institution receives and pays out has been deposited in his quarters."

Pomona, Minerva and Filius popped up and stated more or less in unison that they would gladly assume these tasks. Dumbledore only nodded in defeat and said "I shall comply."

She paused then continued addressing her points with "now that these things have been taken care of, we come to the rest of why I am here. Next item that needs to be taken care of is this." A blood quill and a paper appeared in front of every person in the room including Rubeus Hagrid and Argus Filch. The paper looked like a legal document and was completely filled with instructions. "This paper is a magical contract detailing a code of conduct for each and every one of you. To summarize it states that you shall henceforth do as follows. You may only take points off if a student breaks the rules, reasons such as breathing too loud or being a know it all are no longer valid. If you attempt to do so your ability to dock or award points shall be revoked for a period of not less than a week. Second you may no longer favor any one house over the other in the awarding of points. For example if a student in Slytherin is the first one to complete the transfiguration for that day correctly then he or she shall be awarded the same amount of points as a student in Gryffindor would. Points shall only be awarded for behavior that should serve as setting an example to the other students or if they are derived from the Quidditch scores. Third is that no professor shall henceforth use Legilimency on any student at all unless you have that students express permission. Fourth is that no longer shall teachers allow students to taunt or verbally attack another student by referring to blood status. If any teacher hears of a student using the word mudblood that student shall immediately be docked fifteen points and a week's detention working on a task set by Argus Filch. Fifth is that from now on all detentions shall take place inside the castle. Sixth is that from now on the forest is now open to all students of all years. The only requirement is that they must receive a tracking charm and an identifier to announce to the inhabitants of said forest that they are not to be harmed. The only places in the forest that the students are forbidden entry into are the centaur's village and the unicorn's sanctuary. The acromantula's currently residing in the forest are to be relocated immediately somewhere else and yes Hagrid that means Aragog must go as well. Any student found violating these places, without the consent of the residences, is to be docked fifty points and serve a detention set by Argus Filch for two weeks. You shall have to set up a ward around the borders of the forest that automatically applies a tracking charm as my wards do not reach the edges of the forest next to Hogsmeade Village, you will also have to post signs within the forest that the student is entering forbidden territory. Seventh is that while you are employed in Hogwarts is that you shall never aid either by direct action or inaction any attack on the students or the castle itself."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.