Growing Together - Cover

Growing Together

Copyright© 2011 by Wes Boyd

Chapter 14

Jon sat on the bed while Tanisha went to the bathroom, but when he heard the toilet flush he got up and went to stand in the door, watching as she followed the instructions to run the test. Her back was to him, and he didn't know if she knew he was watching.

A few minutes went by -- he wasn't exactly watching the clock. Finally, he heard her say in a small voice, "Jon?"

"Yes?"

"You were right."

"Positive, huh?"

"Yeah," she replied. "I mean, unless the test is wrong, but I suppose that's just denying the truth, right?

"There's a chance, I suppose," he sighed. "But it answers a lot of questions, and it means that you're going to be seeing a doctor tomorrow."

"Jon, I don't know that I'm ready for this."

"I don't know that I am, either," he sighed. "But it's ready for us, like it or not."

"Shit," she said, turning to face him. "This is going to change things. I mean, it really is going to change things. I guess we'd better get serious about looking for that house, huh?"

"Yeah," he nodded, taking her in his arms. "The sooner, the better, I guess."

Jon and Tanisha being who they were, soon took the discussion to bed for one of the tenderest, sweetest sessions they could recall. New things may have been coming to their world, but some things didn't change, either.

While Jon and Tanisha had an official office in the front, unclassified building at Lambdatron, their real office was back in one of the classified buildings. The official office was small, but there were times that things needed to be done there. Monday morning was one of those times, and even then, they weren't there much -- just long enough to set up an appointment at the HMO for a little later in the morning, after which they headed over to see Molly in the human resources division. That took long enough that when it was over with it was time to head for the HMO.

Although the clinic tended to be a little busier than normal on Monday mornings, they were able to get Tanisha in to see a doctor pretty quickly, and Jon went with her. After a relatively brief examination, the doctor announced, "Well, there's no question that you're pregnant."

"I was wondering if maybe the home test was wrong," Tanisha said.

"No, it hit it pretty well," the doctor said. "You're not just a little pregnant, either. I'd say you're about halfway along, give or take a few weeks. You ought to have been suspicious before this."

"I guess there's no underestimating the power of human denial," Tanisha said. "I mean, I was just so damn sure I couldn't be pregnant that I denied the possibility I could be, but I'm still surprised I could have missed it for this long. Are you sure it's that much?"

"We'll need to do an ultrasound to be sure, and we can have one done in a few minutes. At this stage we can tell the sex of the baby with an ultrasound. Some parents like to know that, others like to be surprised. Which way would you like to go?"

"I think I'd like to know," Tanisha said. "It's not like we've got nine months to make preparations, now."

"No, it could be as little as four," the doctor agreed. "It does cut down some of the fun of the anticipation."

In a few minutes, it wasn't speculation any longer -- in about four months, maybe a little more, Jon and Tanisha would be the parents of a little girl. After a brief lecture, and a handful of "having a healthy baby" material, the two of them headed back out to the Chevy, a new world opening in front of them.

"Jon," Tanisha said as they got into the car, "You seem less than totally happy about this."

"Well, I have to admit that I'm not as ecstatic as I would be if we'd been trying to get you pregnant for months," he admitted. "That doesn't mean I'm not happy about it. It's just that this is a big surprise and I'm trying to get my mind around it. I have to say you're not exactly jumping up and down in pure joy yourself."

"Well, no, and pretty much for the same reason," she sighed. "Yes, I've been looking forward to this, but it's come out of nowhere at a time that's less than perfect. I'm sure that the issue with Kwame has a lot to do with my reservations. But we have to accept this for what it is and move ahead from here, no matter what the timing is. Are you sorry it's not a boy?"

"No, no way," he smiled, a little relieved at her reply -- this was supposed to be a happy time, after all. He got the car started as he told her, "A little girl is fine with me. I just want us to do the best job we can about raising her."

"I'll settle for that," she smiled. "I'm of the opinion that my parents did a lot wrong in raising Kwame and me, but I think they did a few things right, too. But, I think you and I can do better, since we're not going to be grinding axes while we're doing it."

"What kind of mistakes do you think your parents made?" he asked as he backed out of the parking space. "I mean, just so we can watch out for them and avoid them."

"Oh, the whole ethnocentric thing, for a starter," she replied. "You've heard me rant about it before. My father's ranting about the equality of the races, how the black man and the white man should work together, and still being as separatist as he could be. I'll bet he's turning over in his grave right now. I mean, he gave both Kwame and me these pseudo-African names to remind us of the fact that we're black, before we're American. I've gotten used to the name of Tanisha, but I still sort of resent it for that reason. I'll tell you what, Jon, I haven't thought about what I'd want to name a little girl at all, other than the fact that I want her to have a culturally neutral American name, something common, something like, oh, Barbara or Susan or Kathryn."

"Sounds good to me," he said. "She's going to be stuck with one hard-to-pronounce name for a last name, one that no one ever gets the spelling right the first time. There's no point in sticking her with a tough first one, too."

"That's true," she smiled. "I mean, when I was a little girl, I never dreamed I'd wind up with a last name like 'Chladek.' But you know, Jon, I can't think of a better one for me."

"I'm sorry I'm driving babe, or I'd kiss you for saying that," he grinned. "Look, I know this has taken us by surprise and we're going to have some catching up to do, but I think we're going to just have to knuckle down and get busy about getting ready for this to happen. I don't have the slightest idea of what all we're going to have to do to get ready."

"I don't, either. Well, I have more than an inkling of some of the things that Shantel went through when she was pregnant," she said, speaking of her sister-in-law. "But Shantel was more involved with her mother in that, and I wasn't really part of the program."

"And, Shantel is about the last person you'd want to ask about it," he grinned.

"Boy, have you got that right," she laughed. "Well, I guess we're not at a total loss. There are baby books, there are some women at the office we can ask for input, and we'll have to get your mother involved."

"Yeah, I guess," he smiled. "You know, I've never gotten any hint out of her that she'd like to be a grandmother."

"You hear stories of mothers leaning on their kids pretty hard about it, but I've never gotten anything like that out of her," Tanisha agreed.

"Talk about denial," Jon snorted. "She's in real severe denial that she's not, oh, about Crystal's age."

"I think you're right," Tanisha laughed. "This might bring her to her senses. I suppose we'd better call her tonight. I'll admit, I'm kind of curious to see what happens when she hears the news."

"Yeah, I am, too," Jon said then changed the subject. "I don't know what all we're going to have to do to get ready for little Barbara or Susan or whoever, but I'll tell you what, I'm glad Joy and Ben have already started the spade work. I think that getting a house just got moved way up in the priorities. In fact, if it's at all possible, I think we want to be moved in before the kid can complicate the move too much, and that means before she's born as much as it does after."

"You're right on that. I don't like the thought of being huge and having to be involved in moving very much. And, we're going to have to either do it ourselves or hire someone to get it done. With rafting season starting in a couple months, I can't see Crystal or Preach or Nanci being much help in a move."

"If we catch them at the right time, with this new schedule we might be able to get a day or two out of them," Jon said after thinking about it for a moment. "Oh, well, it's not like we have a hell of a lot to move. That's one advantage of living in as small a place as we do."

"If we're going to be living in a nice house, there's no point in our having our cheap crap furniture anymore," she said. "The bed, yeah, maybe we want to keep that, but if we're going to spend the money on a house, I think we need to spend some money on some decent furniture, too."

"You know what? I'm glad we have four months, because I think we're going to need every bit of it."

By the time they turned into the parking lot at Lambdatron, the surprise had turned to reality for them and they were a lot more comfortable with it. Tanisha's pregnancy was no longer a problem to be dealt with, but now a new adventure and a challenge to be conquered, which was something very different.

There was still work to be done in their official office in the unclassified area, so they headed to it. They'd barely gotten settled in when there was a rap on the door frame. Both of them looked up to see Stan looking at them. "Boy, you two are hard to catch up with this morning," he said.

It wasn't surprising to have Stan come and see them. His office was such a mess, not to mention a biohazard zone, that he tended to corner people in their own offices rather than have people come to his. Stan was organized and efficient in many ways, but keeping a neat office was not one of them.

"We've been busy," Jon grinned. "You yank us out of here without notice for a week and there's bound to be loose ends to tie up when we get back."

"Yeah, well, it couldn't be helped," Stan replied. "And I'm glad you two were able to do such a good job of it. Angela got back Saturday, and she said you two did a terrific job, and there may be some new work coming our way."

"A couple people we talked to sounded real interested," Jon said. "Whether it turns into anything real, well, hard to say."

"We've had one call already this morning that sounded pretty much like it had to be generated out of the show, and there could be more coming. If we get one or two good jobs out of it then it's a plus for us."

"It seems like kind of a waste of time in one sense of the word," Tanisha admitted, "But I can see that time spent developing one contact can turn it into something else."

"Yeah, and you never know," Stan said. "It's good to know that the two of you can be called on to help out with stuff like that. I'm just afraid that with Jennlynn's notoriety, we may have to call on the two of you more than I would like."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.