A Good Man - Cover

A Good Man

Copyright© 2011 by Marc Nobbs

Chapter 17: Date Night

Clarissa didn’t return to school that week but I was surprised that she sent me several text messages each day. She even phoned me in the evening twice, just to tell me how much she was looking forward to our date on Friday. And I’ll admit that despite being nervous as hell about it, I was looking forward to it too.

The end of the week rolled around scarily quickly.

I parked up on the road outside her house at six-thirty and walked up the driveway to knock on the door. Her mother answered.

“She’s getting ready,” she said, her voice icy. “I’ll tell her you’re here.” And she shut the door, leaving me standing on the doorstep. I knew she didn’t like the idea of me and Clarissa going out, but that was just plain rude. Perhaps that was her plan—to treat me so badly that I’d give up and leave her daughter alone.

“Just shut up and listen, you dumb fuck!” Jake Rogers’ voice was coming from the side of the house. He’d obviously gone outside to take a phone call and didn’t know I was there or he’d have been speaking a lot quieter. “If he’s telling you to plead guilty then you damn well plead guilty, you understand? He is the best damn defence lawyer in the county and you will do what he tells you. He got me off after that bitch claimed I raped her and stopped her from selling her story to the papers. He knows what he’s doing, damn it, so if he tells you to get on your knees and suck the prosecutor’s cock while the judge takes you up the arse, then you damn well do it. Do you understand what I’m telling you? Can you get that through your thick skull?”

He went quiet, presumably listening to the person on the other end. It couldn’t be who I thought it was, could it?

“Because he doesn’t think you stand a cat in hell’s chance, that’s why Del. You need to pick your friends a little more carefully in future. This bunch ratted you out at the first sign that they might have to share the rap. Look, if you plead innocent and lose, which you will, then you’ll go away for six months. That’s most of the rest of the season. If that happens you can kiss Westmouth United goodbye, you understand? But admit it, say you’re sorry and you’ll probably just get community service. You’ll be back on the team and I’ll smooth things over with United for you.”

Another pause while he listened.

“Just do as you’re told for once, will you? You’ve already fucked things up with Clarissa, the stuck-up, self-important little bitch. We need to think of some other way to get to her now.”

His pause was shorter this time. “You may be my cousin, but you got your brains from your dipshit father’s side, not mine. How fucking thick are you? I told you that marrying the bitch didn’t get me shit. But it put me in a position to hook you up with her daughter. I gave you a way in then it was down to you charm the little tramp. Knock her up, marry her and then control of the company would be back where it belongs. The Liddingtons have had for it too long now. That family never gave ours the credit it deserved. Without Phipps, Liddington wouldn’t have ever even had a business. Phipps was the brains, but Liddington took the credit. And the money. Well, it’s time to get our fair share.”

Just then, the door opened and Clarissa appeared before me, looking even more stunning than ever in a short denim skirt and white blouse. She held a black jacket in her hand.

“Hi,” she said, sheepishly.

I stared at her, and my mouth went up and down even though words failed me. It was as if the link between my brain and vocal cords had been temporarily severed. Finally, I managed to stutter, “Wow. I mean ... You look ... Wow.”

She blushed. I think she was actually as nervous as me. My nerves were understandable, I was taking the best looking girl in the school on a date against her mother’s wishes. But what did she have to be nervous about? She must have been on dates like this a hundred times. Okay, maybe not a hundred, but a lot.

She offered me a timid little smile. “So ... What now?”

“Well, first...” I took her coat from her and held it open so she could slip her arms into it. This left her facing away from me. I put my hand on her shoulders, which made her shiver, and whispered, “You look fantastic, but it’s cold out. Can’t have you getting pneumonia.” I kissed her ear and she shivered again then I spun her around and took her hand. “My lady, your chariot awaits. Well, Vicky’s old banger, but it’ll do the job.” Okay, so I was laying it on pretty thick. I do that a lot to cover up how I’m really feeling. It’s a self-defence thing.

She grinned. “That—” She rolled her eyes over dramatically. “—was so damn corny.”

“I know. Come on, let’s go before your mother bursts a blood vessel.” I nodded towards the window where Mrs Rogers was holding the curtain aside and watching us. She didn’t look the least bit happy.

Clarissa looked at her mother, waved, then with a smile she kissed my cheek and said, “Yeah, let’s go.”

In the car, she smiled at me as I started the engine. “Our first date! This is so exciting.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.