Shamus Journals
Chapter 94

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

When the movie was over, Tran kissed the girls goodnight, saying she was tired and was going to take a shower and go to bed. She looked at me with that look before she headed up the steps. I had the girls clean up and put the movie away, and then sent them upstairs to brush their teeth and get ready for bed. I messed around for a little bit, then set the coffee pot up for the morning and headed up to tuck the girls in.

When I went into Sandra's room, she was sitting up in bed waiting for me. I sat down and waited to see what she had to say.

"Grandpa, I'm sorry if I put you on the spot tonight. I didn't mean to ruin your surprise for us. We have been talking all week about going to Disneyland and how much fun it would be to celebrate our birthdays there, is all."

"Sandra, can I tell you a secret?"

"Sure Grandpa, you know I won't tell anyone."

"Honey, I had almost forgotten about your birthdays with all that has been going on. I have to admit, I thought about Disneyland as a surprise for you three. I was going to call in the morning and arrange booking for a week."

"Then how come you said what you did when I mentioned it? I don't understand Grandpa."

"I will try to explain it to you, but like I said, you can't say a word to anyone. I said that because you three are always getting your way and Auntie Tran helps you. Just because I love all four of you and go along with your sneak attacks, it doesn't mean that I don't realize what's going on. There isn't anything in this world I wouldn't do for all of you if it's in my power, but for a change I need to be the one to think it up. Sometimes I think you and Tran can read my mind. I said what I did tonight because I wanted to teach her a little lesson. I think when I go to bed tonight she is going to really read me the riot act, but I think I still can have some fun with it and her. Now you go to bed, and let me make the arrangements for your birthdays."

"I love you Grandpa, but I don't think I want to be in your shoes when you go to bed tonight. Auntie Tran was the one who suggested that instead of you having to worry about gifts, this would be fun for all of us. She hasn't been there either and always wanted to go and ride the rides. I think she is gonna be a little upset that you ruined her plans."

"I think I can handle Auntie Tran."

"Yeah, sure you can, Grandpa."

She was still giggling as I went to kiss and tuck in the other two. They didn't ask me any questions but I could see they were anxious to find out what my answer would be about them going. I headed for my room and went straight to the shower. As I went into the bathroom, I could see Tran staring at me and I had to work really hard to keep from laughing out loud. I finished my shower and turned out the lights as I slid into bed. I turned on my side facing away from her, let out an exaggerated sigh, and pretended to go to sleep.

"Harry Hanson, if you think you are going to sleep, you have another think coming. I told you before about this crap about golden years and constantly throwing my age up. And another thing, that little statement about us being to old to keep up with the girls is pure bullshit, and you know it!"

I knew she had paused to see what I had to say, so I just lay there, not saying a word, waiting for the next explosion. It didn't take long either.

"If you don't say something, you can sleep on the couch. For you to ruin our or their plans for a birthday surprise is inexcusable, Harry."

I waited for a few moments, then turned the lamp on and rolled to face her. She was so mad she was beautiful. I couldn't help myself, I started smiling at her.

"Would your tire thumper make this picture complete, my dear?"

It took her about five minutes to realize she had been had. I watched the play of emotions across her face as she figured it out, and finally I couldn't hold back any longer and busted out laughing.

"Oh my God, Harry, when did you figure it out?"

"When you wouldn't meet my eyes. I knew then that you four were hatching another plot to get me to do what you wanted. Honey, just because I'm a man and haven't been married for a long time, it doesn't mean I have forgotten just how devious women can be. You can only pull the wool over my eyes a couple of times before my inner guard starts watching for more plots from you guys. I may be a man and love all of you, but that doesn't mean I am stupid or never catch on to what's going on around me. For your information, I had already thought about going to Disneyland and was going to call and make all the arrangements in the morning. Now, will you quit harping at this old man and let me get my rest?"

I shut out the light, listening to her laughter, but it took another couple of exhausting hours before I was able to finally get to sleep. If she kept this up, I was going to have to sneak a couple of those little blue pills into my shaving kit for emergencies.

I woke the next morning bright eyed and feeling like a million dollars. I started whistling as I headed for the shower.

"Will you please stop that racket so I can get some sleep?"

I was chuckling as I climbed into the shower and got ready to face another day. By the time I got downstairs, the coffee had brewed. I headed for my usual seat on the porch to watch the sun come up and have a cigarette. I had my usual cough but my ribs didn't bother me as bad this time. I was going over in my mind what I had to do today as I sipped my coffee. I had to go to the camp and get the information from Zeke about depositing the money and give him the news about the clear title. I also had to talk to Preacher since I figured I had put him off long enough. I was also going to drive to the gulch and have a little look around and maybe have lunch in that little diner there. I had a hankering for some of their French fried onions, which had been delicious the last time I ate there. I was also going to go to Reno and talk to Barry and the doctor about them coming to the concert. I wasn't about to take no for an answer on that one, even if I had to involve the President.

Something was nagging at me, and then it came forward. The Spook and what Tran had told me about meeting him. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how he fit into all of this and why he knew as much as he did. I hadn't known about Dana until Mark had told me in the letter. How the hell did a specter from that many years ago fit into Mark and Terri's past? I was hoping I'd never see him again, but something was telling me I would and soon. I wasn't afraid of him, but I had a lot of respect for him and always would have. Oh well, I thought, I had better get moving and get something accomplished. I headed in to tell Tran I was leaving. She was already in the kitchen sipping her morning tea. I refilled my cup and sat down beside her at the table. She turned my head toward her and kissed me, curling my toes again. I finally broke for air and got that look from her that almost made me take her back upstairs. The sound of footsteps upstairs put that thought out of my head. She must have been reading my mind again because she took one look at my face and sniggered into her tea cup.

"Looks like you will have to wait until tonight, dear. Besides, I would guess from the look on your face as you came in you have a busy day ahead of you."

I gave her a general outline of what I would be doing today and she just said to be careful and save some of my energy for later tonight because I would need it. I just looked at her and smiled.

"Harry, at your age I am surprised you still have those urges. Don't worry about calling Disneyland, I have a good friend who is the Director of the park and I will call him later and make all the arrangements. I suggest you run along and get all your loose ends tied up so we can spend some time as a family again."

I was going to push the urge thing, but the three musketeers came into the kitchen wanting to know what was for breakfast. I was surprised when Tran said they were eating the cereal they had bought and if they wanted toast, they could fix it themselves. When I got up to leave, I got a wink from Sandra and a cheery hello and good morning from the other two. I just shook my head as I headed for the bedroom to get my gun and ID. When I came back downstairs, I could hear all four of them making some kind of plans. But since I could only hear bits and pieces of the conversation, I didn't pay it any mind.

I got the phones and ear bud from their chargers and turned them on. I called in and asked for a Whisper to go to the camp, and was told it would be here shortly. I checked the voice mail on my scrambled phone and there were six from Preacher. I deleted them as I walked to the meadow. When the Whisper landed, I was surprised to see I was to be the only passenger. When I got buckled in and the headset on, we took off. I was informed by the pilot that he had been ordered to bring me directly to the plant when I was finished at the cave. I decided to be ornery and told him when he set down and I got out, he was to return to base and I would find an alternate way back to my cabin. He twisted in his seat and tentatively asked me if Preacher and I had a falling out or something?

"No, but he better understand he is not my boss, nor am I in the military. Since I don't want you two to be caught in the middle, tell him if he wishes to speak to me he better do it in a polite way. I don't take orders from anyone, and if he needs it clarified I will call the President and he will clarify my position to Preacher."

He didn't say anything else, just shook his head and looked at his co-pilot who was grinning at our conversation. He dropped me at the upper cave. As soon as I got on the ground, he took off headed south towards the plant. I stood there watching him for a few minutes, then was greeted by Zeke with a big smile on his face.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.