Shamus Journals - Cover

Shamus Journals

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

Chapter 77

We had finished eating and I was tired, but I made sure to spend some time with the girls before I sent them up to get ready for bed. Tran and I tucked them in and we asked them when they were going to move out of the tent.

"Can't we stay in here a little while longer, Uncle Harry? We all like it and besides, we're in no hurry to move all those beds back to the rooms."

I busted out laughing and told them as long as they were getting along living in the tent, then they could make up their own minds about when to move. This seemed to make all of them happy, if all the extra hugs and kisses I got were any sign. I finally said goodnight and Tran and I headed to our own room. I grabbed a quick shower but ended up sharing it, which made my night. I told her what had transpired between George and Doris. She got a good laugh out of it before I went to a more serious subject.

"Honey, I know you said it was my decision, but I still want your input. You have just as much as stake in the decision as I do, because if something did happen to me, everything would fall on you. I am going to try to just do the planning and not go into the field, but this is like war and the situation is always fluid. I may have to go with some of the reserve to help out if it becomes too hot for the men in the field. This is why I am asking you again for your thoughts on the matter."

"Harry, I am sticking by my original statement. You know more about this type of thing than I ever will and those men are depending on you to guide them. You will be the biggest part of the whole thing. If you have to fight, just be careful and come home to us. Remember, you have a promise to fulfill in Miami, so come home safe after this is all over, my love."

I couldn't figure a comeback for that statement, and the look of love and trust on her face made me want to kiss her. I did and it took awhile before we finally fell asleep in each other's arms.

I woke the next morning, grabbing a quick shower and headed for the coffee pot. Tran had bought one of those programmable types that she set for the time to brew. Now I was assured of it being done as soon as I got up, unless I got up earlier than the programmed time. She had showed me how to start it manually in case this happened. I got my first cup and sat down in the recliner looking out across the small meadow in front of the house, thinking about today. I had a decision to make. If it was wrong, it would affect everyone around me. I would be in the proverbial, "between a rock and a hard place", if I didn't watch out for myself. George came in and sat on the sofa across from me, sipping his first cup and not saying a word. I appreciated the silence.

We were both on our second cups when he spoke.

"Harry, can I ask a favor of you?"

"George, I would be glad to help in any way I can as long as it doesn't involve family matters."

"Nah, nothing like that Harry. I want you to clear me to watch your back in this upcoming raid. I know Preacher and the others will keep a close eye on you, but I can stay closer and cover you better because I am free to move about and not under anyone's orders."

"George, I don't know that it's such a good idea. If something were to happen to you, Doris would kill me outright. I saw how happy she is and since I have known her, this is the first time I have gotten to see her laugh and smile. I don't think I want to be the cause of her losing that for any reason."

"Harry, I hate to be the one to tell you this but all the wives and Doris have already talked it over. They're the ones who decided they wanted me to cover you after I expressed my worry about it. Doris was the most adamant because she said she owed you more than she could ever repay. She wouldn't tell me what she meant, but I got the feeling I would be in hot water if I didn't ask you to consider it."

"I just don't know George, but I will think about it. As for Doris, I don't know why she feels like she owes me anything. But, she is a good friend and I have always liked her go to hell attitude. I think I will reserve any decisions on the matter until I meet with all the teams to see what kind of Intel they have on the camp. I have been out of the loop for the last few days. I also haven't called the Director yet to give him my decision on the matter. I have a family to take into consideration now."

"Now that I do understand, Harry. From all I have heard, they, as in the Teams, want you to plan the raid because they all feel you have some kind of gut instinct that seems to keep those around you alive. Preacher and Triplett seem to think the raid will be better planned if you do it. I listened to them and heard some of the stories they told about you and some of the stunts you used to pull off. If they were all true, then you are one of those rare people that seem to sense problems and know what to do about them before anyone else around you. Now, about last night."

I just busted out laughing and he got all red again as he tried to explain. I told him I had already told Tran about it. He just sat back on the couch, mumbling something about all the women knowing about it now. I just laughed harder at his reaction to the women knowing about him and Doris. I had just started to say something smart when that distinctive chirping started. It took me a couple of minutes to find the cell before I answered it. It was the Director and the news wasn't good.

"Harry, we have a problem. I know you haven't given me your answer yet, but Preacher wanted me to call and fill you in. There are about a hundred or so men that just arrived in Hubba's camp, coming from another camp about four hundred miles away to the North. We knew about that one, but this is the first time they have ever sent any men off their own grounds. From the pictures we are getting from the drone, they, along with the camp's occupants, are fortifying the perimeter around the main living area. Preacher wants to know if you can come down right away and look for yourself and give him some idea of what they are doing. He said these types of fortifications are all new to him."

"Tell him George and I will be there in a half hour. I want to make sure to tell Tran where I am going and she is still asleep."

"Ok Harry, see you shortly."

I went up and woke her telling her what was going on, and that I had to go and was taking George with me. She just smiled and kissed me before pulling the sheet over her head. I was smiling to myself as I went to the kitchen, filling my old go cup and at the same time, filling George in on what was going on and telling him that he was going with me. I set the alarm as we went out. We climbed into the Jeep and drove straight down the hill to go the short way through the campground. As we went through the campground, I noticed there were several tents set up and wondered if they were civilians or some of the personnel from the teams. We were let in the gate immediately and went straight to the offices where the Intel was set up. We went up and the guard let us both in right away.

We were called over to a large screen monitor and that's when Preacher started talking.

"Harry, those men in desert fatigues arrived this morning and most of the men and a lot of the women from the camp came out of underground entrances to meet them. They have been busy as a bunch of bees ever since they got there. I can't figure out what kind of fortifications they are building around the main area. This is real time view so we can monitor the camp all the time."

"Does that thing have a zoom on it?"

He turned to a young guy who had a small joystick in his hand, asking him if it did.

"Yes sir, I can zoom up close enough to see ants on the ground. You just tell me who or what you want to see and I will zoom the camera in on it."

"Do you see that man in the front that seems to be in charge? Zoom in on him so I can see if any of us know him."

"Yes sir, watch this."

I watched as he manipulated the drone over the man a little to the side then zoomed in on him. When he had the drone steady, he kept zooming in closer until we could see a clear picture of his face. When he looked up his face was clear as a bell and I started cussing out loud. Everyone looked at me in shock and I told the operator to snap several stills of him before he took the drone out of range. I went to the coffee pot, getting a cup from there and forgetting about my go cup, I was so upset.

"Harry, what the hell has you so upset about that man? Do you know him from somewhere?"

"Preacher if you think a minute, you, me, and Stumpy all testified at his Court Marshal in 1971 in Saigon."

I watched as he thought about it for awhile and I could see the look of puzzlement in his face. Stumpy had the same look as Preacher and I started cussing again. The Director was looking at me like I was a stranger that had gone nuts or something.

"Dammit, have both of you lost your memories? That's Captain John James Jackson or JJ Jackson as he was known then. He got a life sentence at hard labor with no possibility of parole. We all testified about his shooting of over a hundred villagers. He was drunk and bored when he did it, or so he swore on the stand."

I watched as they both got hit with the realization of what I was talking about. Stumpy slammed his fist on the table and Preacher just started getting white, which I knew meant he was about to go off.

"Harry, are you sure that's him? There is no way he could have survived at hard labor all these years, let alone be out of prison."

"Preacher, that face still haunts me because he was one of us. The whole time he just laughed, saying that the only good gook was a dead one. He didn't differentiate between women and children, because to him they were all the same.

Director, I suggest you get on the horn now, and find out why he is loose and how he got out. I know the kind of fortifications he is building, and if he completes them, we will never be able to raid that camp."

I sat down at the table, lighting a cigarette and noticing my hands were shaking from anger. I don't know who the Director was talking to, but he was giving somebody hell. I sat and drank the nasty coffee that was the trademark of all services, still forgetting about my full go cup sitting in front of me. The Director broke my thoughts about ten minutes later.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.