Shamus Journals - Cover

Shamus Journals

Copyright© 2011 by terriblethom

Chapter 75

Everyone was still laughing at George when I saw two people walking up the drive. One was a woman and the other was carrying a large camera over his shoulder. I called back into the kitchen telling everyone what was coming up the driveway. They all came out to watch them huff and puff as they walked up the steepest part. Tran had a smart comment and they all got a laugh out of it. I was asking myself whether I should run them off or talk to them. I knew it would be about the tapes I had sent out and decided to try to be polite unless they started pushing about other things. I stepped out the door telling everyone else to stay inside. Tran handed me a cup of coffee and I closed the door behind me as I sat down in the nearest chair.

I watched with a smirk on my face when the woman had to stop to get her breath before coming up the last fifty yards or so. When she got to the porch, she just sat down on the step panting. The cameraman had a smile on his face as he sat the camera down. I didn't offer them anything, wanting to see what her attitude would be when she was able to speak. That took about five minutes before she was able to breathe normally. She asked the cameraman politely for the mike and my respect went up about three notches for her.

"Mr. Hanson, I am Shelly Adams, a reporter for WKXT in Reno. This is my cameraman, Art Simon. I think if I plan to keep chasing news I am going to have to start going to the gym again."

I got a chuckle out of that one as did her cameraman. My respect for her went up a little more because she treated her cameraman like he was someone instead of just a lackey for her to order around.

"What can I do for you Miz Adams? I hope you didn't walk up here just for your morning stroll, because if you start asking questions that are none of your business, you just wasted the whole morning."

"No Sir, the station manager sent us out to ask you a few questions about the tape you sent to the station. That's all we want to ask about, Sir."

I told her to ask her questions and if I could answer them I would. She interviewed me for about a half hour, never wavering from the subject of the tape. I answered all her questions in a frank manner, giving her all the information I could, to try to help the ATF agents. I told her about my hunch and the vehicles we had seen, and why I sent the tapes out to make sure the men involved would be remembered with respect, not be blamed for something they had no control over. We covered several subjects and there were only a couple of questions I refused to answer because of National Security. She finally asked for some water, which I was glad to get them both a bottle of. I could tell they both appreciated it and they remarked on how cold it was. They left smiling and talking back and forth as they walked back down the driveway. I went back inside and called Shorty, asking him to put a deputy at the end of my driveway so I wouldn't be bothered by any more reporters.

"Harry, I heard what happened and Andy said to tell you to remember you still hold your commission here. I will send someone out with your ID and a unit for your use as soon as I get off the phone."

"Tell Andy I said thanks but I don't need the unit. I am going to town later to buy a couple more vehicles for Sean and for George, a friend who staying with us. The ID I can use because I have a feeling it might come in handy."

"Then I will also send a walkie for your use since you don't want a unit. Harry, the commissioners said to a man to tell you they haven't forgotten all you have done for this county, and they will back you in any way they can. If you need the Department's help, just yell. I think about every man here would help in any way they could if you needed it."

"Thanks Shorty, tell them I appreciate it and tell Andy thanks. I'll catch you later, my friend."

"Ok Harry, just remember we haven't forgot what you have done for this county and its people."

I hung up and went back into the kitchen with a lump in my throat, thankful I had some good friends besides the ones I was facing. I sat down with a fresh cup of coffee and we discussed my interview. Sean said I handled it like a pro. I told them about the woman being so polite, and Sean said that would change as she got some experience on her in the news business. We were all laughing about that when Carly spoke up.

"Harry, Sean and I want to ask you a question."

"Well go ahead and ask Carly."

"We were wondering if you and Tran would rent us the cabin we are staying in. We have fallen in love with it and the girls just love the place. Harry, there are two cars in the garage at the house. Tran told me that beautiful little one is hers but the station wagon, she didn't know whose it was. Maybe we could buy it because it would be perfect for all of us."

Damn, I had forgotten about that old Dodge wagon of Mark's. He had told me he bought it to drive out here in and I had forgotten all about it. He had told me he got it from a friend of his for almost nothing so he could haul the girl's important stuff out here. If it was ok with Dina and Dana, I would just give it to Sean because he, I was sure, was short on money, particularly with him not working now. I also knew I could get him on with the sheriff's department and because of his experience, he would immediately make Captain and make a good living. I would talk to Shorty then him about it later. I looked over at Tran and she had that damned smirk on her face again.

I sat for a couple of minutes acting like I was thinking. I decided I would put it on Tran for a change so I did.

"I have no objections Carly, but the final decision is up to Tran She is the boss in this house since she married me and had me neutered."

Well that broke things up because George and Sean lost it. I was surprised when Tran and Carly looked at each other and both of them started smirking. Right then I realized I had made a bad tactical mistake and I had a feeling I would be reminded of it as the years went by. Damn, I had stuck my foot in my big mouth again trying to be a smart ass. Oh well, I had no recourse but to try to act like I didn't know what I had done in front of them both. Before they could get a dig in, I got up and called for Dina and Dana to come downstairs a minute.

I sat down on the couch and they climbed into my lap, waiting to see why I had called them. When I explained to them why, they both looked at each other then smiled at me. Dina had the final word concerning the wagon.

"Uncle Harry, Dad hated that old clunker, as he called it. He told us all the way out here it was like driving a big truck, and it had the worst radio he ever tried to listen to. We would both be glad if you gave it to Carly and the girls. Besides, we love your Jeep and would just as soon not have to ride in that clunker again. The back seats smelled like dogs."

I laughed and hugged them both, thanking them for helping out. They gave me a kiss on either cheek and ran back upstairs, saying I had interrupted their Monopoly Game. I walked back out to the kitchen to total silence. When I walked in, I had four sets of eyes looking at me in a quizzical way. I refreshed my coffee and sat back down before I spoke to Sean.

"Well Sean, it seems you have inherited an old Dodge station wagon, free of charge. I will get the paperwork done and sign it over to you. Will you all quit staring at me? I asked Dina and Dana first because if they had an emotional attachment to it, I didn't want to hurt their feelings by just giving it away. I thought it was the right thing to do."

"Harry, for being a new husband and father, you seem to know just how to talk to those girls. I have just one question though."

"Well, spit it out Sean."

"What was that comment about dogs Dina made?"

I lost it, saying it was my secret and they would find out for themselves when they drove it for the first time. They all laughed but I got a dirty look from Tran I couldn't figure out. I found out later when she made it plain to me there would be no more secrets between us, because we were in this relationship together and would share everything. I didn't think it was a secret at the time, but I agreed because whether I liked it or not, she was a hundred percent right. Anyway, the only one who needed wheels now was George so I went back to the front room to call Doris. I had just picked up the receiver when the alarm went off. I almost pissed myself I was so startled. I went running to the kitchen, and slid the panel back to look at the cameras. The pond camera was blinking red so I zoomed in to see what had set it off.

Landing in the big clearing by the pond were two Black Hawk choppers. The first out was the Director and Preacher and then another man in an Army uniform.

George was looking over my shoulder as Tran came up ducking under my arm, standing by my side as she looked too.

"Harry, if he tries to create any problems in our house, I will personally run him and the rest of them out the door. George, hand me that gun you had earlier. I want them to see me with it, and know I am not going to let them give Harry any shit in our home. Carly, go upstairs and tell the girls to stay up there and play until they are called."

"Calm down honey, and since when did you ever learn how to handle anything but a tire thumper?"

"Harry Hanson there are a lot of things you don't know about me yet. This is our home and they will not treat my husband like some flunky while I draw a breath. You can let Preacher in and the Director and that other man but nobody else. Better yet I will meet them at the door. The rest of you sit down and drink your coffee and let me handle this."

I looked at her with a smile but George and Sean were shocked speechless by her sudden change in attitude.

"Come on fellas, we better do as she says or we will be in big trouble."

I set the example by resetting the alarm and going to the table. Carly came back in and refilled our cups then went to the sink to finish whatever she had been doing. Tran had disappeared into the front room and I looked at George and raised my eyebrows. He must have sensed what I was asking, because he raised the front of his shirt showing me he was still in possession of his pistol. I just let out a big sigh and settled down to drink my coffee, waiting to see what would happen next.

Preacher was the first one who came into the kitchen. I almost busted out laughing at the pained look on his face. I knew then Tran had just dressed him down because I knew her. He didn't say a word, just sat down. Carly poured him a cup of coffee and he just nodded his thanks. The Director was in next and he was almost a replay of Preacher. By this time I could barely hold back my laughter. The next man through the door I recognized immediately, and he had a big smile on his face as he came over and shook my hand.

"Hanson, it's good to see you again. It's been a long time my friend."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.