Some Kind of Hero - Cover

Some Kind of Hero

Copyright© 2011 by Sea-Life

Chapter 54

It was the middle of June and it was a busy day. It began with my usual run of the property line, which my eyes now tried digesting with security in mind. I considered what it would do to the scenery if I had a security fence put in. I knew that a fence would be as much a sign of something valuable as anything else, but it was also a good way to discourage most intruders. I was starting to feel paranoid about my concerns.

I had oven baked french toast for breakfast, courtesy of a pan Mrs. Ibarra had made up the night before and left in the fridge. She was going to do 'a little looking' for me, she said, to try and find someone I would find acceptable as a live in housekeeper.

Since I was expecting the pool consultant at ten, I didn't want to get too busy in the cavern, so I stayed upstairs, got caught up on the morning news and checked my email, which I'd not done the last couple of days.

I had emails from Bobbie Chalmers and Mitch Price. Bobbie was just following up, making sure everything was working fine. I emailed him back and told him things were fine, asking if he had that new grand kid yet.

Mitch was just emailing a 'what's up?', and I emailed him back saying I was busy, but not tied down to a suit or chair yet. A Gmail IM window popped up immediately.

"Sup, dude?"

"Chilling," I replied. "Got a pool guy coming by this morning, so gotta stick around the house."

"You got a pool?"

"Not yet," I answered, adding a smiley.

"Cool," he sent, and then before I could reply,
"You some kinda Richie Rich?"

"Not growing up so much, but I am now," I answered.

"Cool," he sent. I wondered if that information was going to make him think I wasn't interested in maintaining the friendship that had been developing.

"I'm thinking of adding more computers to the house so I don't have to keep remembering to take the laptop with me when I go to the bathroom."

"The house networked?" he asked.

"Yup, supposed to be good stuff from my cable provider. The tech was an older guy but very competent, from Guerneville."

"Sounds good."

"Do I need a Mitch Price seal of approval?" I asked.

"You want my recommendations for your other computers?"

"Absolutely. You're my go to guy for that shit, you know that."

"Guess I do," he threw a smiley back with that one.

"you busy tonight?" I asked, thinking no time like the present.

"Not really, What time and where?"

"Seven sound good? I'll feed you dinner."

"Free food is always good."

"Okay, lets plan on it then," I gave him the address and described the property for him a little and warned him not to trust Google Maps. "They're about a quarter mile off," I laughed. "They think I'm closer to Guerneville than I actually am."

"They do do that sometimes, don't they? See you tonight."

I still had quite a while before the pool guy would be here, so I headed upstairs for a quick shower. I was just dropping my shorts on the bed when my cell chirped at me.

"Cooper James," I answered.

"Cooper, its Billie. We're set to head out with the rest of your stuff if its a good day for it."

"Awesome," I said. I have a pool guy coming by at ten, so I may have to leave you to your own devices for a while."

"No problem, my install guys are familiar with the layout now, and they said you were very accommodating last time."

"Same deal this time too," I laughed. "I'll throw some extra iced teas in the fridge. Try and pull everything over to the side of the porch, okay? I want the pool guy to have an unobstructed view of the front of the house."

It was almost nine by the time I was showered and dressed. I went and checked my iced tea supply and realized I was a bit short handed if the installers were thirsty. I grabbed a sharpy and a piece of paper and printed a neat 'If you're early, go on in and make yourself at home. Ran to the store at 9am. - Cooper'

I taped the note to the front door and headed for Hacienda in the Wrangler. Berry's market saved my day again, as this time I bought two cases of the Honest Tea that I'd grown to like. I didn't strike it rich this time in the produce section, so I came home with just the tea.

The note was still on the door and there weren't any cars in the driveway when I got back. I took the note off and got a case of the tea cooling in the fridge. I made a pot of coffee and a pitcher of lemonade at the same time, just to be safe.

I had a cool glass of lemonade in my hand and some idea of which of Mrs. Ibarra's offerings I was going to use for dinner tonight when the doorbell rang. It was Billy and a line of guys with their hands full. I recognized two of the guys as having been here the last time and waved them on, as they knew where to go.

"Can I get you a lemonade or an iced tea?" I asked Billie.

"Not yet," he said. "Let me go pretend to ride herd on these guys for a few minutes first."

Shortly after they'd disappeared down the stairs with their second load of pieces and parts, the doorbell rang again.

"Good morning," I said with a smile as I opened the door. Holy smokes!

"Good morning Mister James. I'm Bianca Ingersoll from Sonoma Pools & Spas."

My pool guy was a pool gal, and what a gal!

"Come on in Mrs. Ingersoll," I said, noting the ring on her finger. "Excuse the madness, but my home gym installers are here finishing my home gym. They shouldn't interfere with our meeting, though I may have to take a moment when things are done to sign some papers."

"Not a problem," She smiled. "I recognized the truck as I was pulling up. It must be a serious home gym if they had to bring a truck and two cars.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.