The Mission - Cover

The Mission

Copyright© 2011 by Gina Marie Wylie

Chapter 3: So Kiss Me and Smile For Me

They landed and were hangared and bussed as before. Later, it was clear that they spent a lot of time submerged in a sub. Tom thought it was a hoot -- most of the time they spent submerged was spent barely moving.

They went through a series of chambers, five in all, where there were plenty of seats to wait on, but there was no longer a wait. Tom was like everyone else -- a rubberneck once he was sure he was aboard the alien ship.

It was an underwhelming experience. They went down corridors that closely resembled a modern office building -- even though it lacked windows. Since any number of modern offices lacked windows, Tom wasn't impressed.

A Navy lieutenant was escorting them; the colonel had split off as soon as they were aboard the alien ship. They were led to a compartment and the lieutenant stayed outside with them. "This is the women's dorm. The women can put their things here for now -- empty lockers are next to beds that aren't made up. Put your things away, make up the bed and in an hour I'll be back to show you around."

The speech was identical when he gave it to Tom and the men. An hour later they were led to an empty residential compartment. "This is a typical residence. There's a sitting room and a bedroom, a bathroom, a kitchen and a breakfast nook. The bedroom here has a single bed, about twin bed size. About a third of the one bedroom compartments are like this, two thirds have something like a king-size bed."

"Lieutenant," Tom asked, "the bathroom?"

He led them into the room. There was a shower stall and a prosaic piece of stainless steel remarkably similar in shape to a toilet. There was a stainless steel washbasin with paddle faucet handles. "As you can see, the fixtures are similar to ours. They have a button to push on the floor rather than a handle to flush the toilet -- there's no tank."

"We were told the aliens look human," Cameron said.

"That's true. The public bathrooms are very much like ours, except there are only toilets and no urinals. In public facilities there are multiple stalls, separate like we are familiar with. There is a simply remarkable correspondence between how they did things and how we do them.

"Now, a demonstration of the ship's computer."

He went to a bare section of the wall and pressed his hand flat against it for a second. A square about two feet on a side lit up centered on where his hand had been. About thirty icons cluttered the screen and there was tiny lettering under most of them. Along the left side of the screen, there was a flashing yellow bar, about an inch wide.

"We have no idea what the bar signifies," they were told. "Any place on the ship that has a bare wall will turn on like this. If you want to make the screen bigger, it's like a window on one of our computers -- you put your finger in the corner and 'drag' it. Ditto, to make it smaller.

"This bottom row of icons is terminal types. We're sure of some of them, others just have a lot of icons that we can't figure out. There is one set that clearly guides the ship -- which we haven't tried yet -- but the betting is that you have to be authorized to guide the ship. The same thing for what we think are offensive and defensive weapons. We've just turned on the various positions -- we're not far enough along to try to do anything.

"Here," he pointed to a line drawing, "is what we think the ship looks like from outside. The icon opens a map of the ship. A lot of the ship is simply available as a block diagram -- clearly there are user levels or authorities. Public areas have various icons, only some of which we've figured out. We know the one for 'eating place' for instance, another is an icon like a person running -- that's a gym. They have various exercise machines available. We've figured out how to work something like a treadmill, an exercise bike -- some of the equipment is more advanced and we leave those alone. Anything that isn't muscle powered we leave alone."

There was more and later, still more yet. After two days they spent most of their mornings in an alien version of a conference room, going over the alien language and possible word meanings. They had books and now the computer, even if they didn't have any way to access what was undoubtedly a vast store of data.

In the afternoons they went out with exploration teams. One group was tasked with checking out what were residential quarters. Their task was to see if there was anything interesting left behind in any of the rooms they explored. Since the rooms had a limited number of floor plans and a limited amount of basic furniture, it wasn't very exciting work, but they didn't want to leave any unexplored compartments that might come back to haunt someone later.

Tom and Lily worked together for the most part. There weren't that many Chinese working on quarters exploration, most of them were assigned to the technical teams trying to make sense of the electronics and that's where they were placed. An Air Force major led their party and from the first he had been blunt and often rude and condescending.

"I can't promise you a rose garden. We're exploring the two lower levels of the ship. Level 8 is mostly engineering and physical plant. We check radiation levels every few minutes, even though we've never found anything to speak of. But it stands to reason that the ship is nuclear powered. There is every evidence that the power plant is active.

"I've seen what we're sure is the power plant; several of us have. We look, but don't touch. We don't look real close either. Who wants to get up close and personal to a fusion reactor? Suffice to say we know that the ship takes in seawater -- like the atmosphere; we have no idea where the water comes from. The seawater has the deuterium removed and is expelled. Again, we have no idea of where. Honestly, the ship uses maybe a couple of thimbles of deuterium a day; it's not going to be noticeable. We have no intention of messing with that until we understand things a lot better.

"We have a better handle on the recycling system. Wastes are processed in three streams -- solid, liquid and gasses. Again, we've been cautious with how closely we look. We're familiar now with the flow chart -- but it's just a block diagram -- we have only a rudimentary understanding of the processes we're seeing.

"The ninth level is mostly storage. About a million gallons of deuterium, roughly a similar amount of water, with about five times that amount of water in circulation at any time. There are millions of liters of oxygen and a similar amount of nitrogen.

"There is something that is almost certainly a food production plant. There are a dozen food chains. New food is produced constantly, and there are robots that deliver it to food service areas. We're pretty sure that those robots deliver to residential compartments as well. The food seems to keep well for two weeks, and then the unconsumed portions are recycled. Right now that's virtually everything. A few brave souls have tried it ... some is clearly meant to be eaten cooked, some eaten cold. There are an amazing variety of sizes, shapes, textures and tastes, considering the relatively few number of basic materials.

"However, while the doctors tell us the food is nutritious, it has flavors that we aren't used to. They're not bad flavors -- just different. When you have your heart set on a burger and fries, you'll have to settle for starchy carrot-things that are blue with something that kind of looks like ground meat -- but tastes like chicken -- isn't the same thing at all.

"Let me recap: touch nothing! That's rule one. We are reluctant to bring the computer stations online in case we kick off something we don't understand. Yes, it hasn't happened yet -- we'd just as soon that we have an idea what's going to happen before we start meddling. Observe, report but don't touch."

The second day they'd been reading meters on an active computer in power engineering and Lily asked Tom to see if the major would explain what he knew about the power plant. Tom had to grimace when it was clear from the major's answers that he had no idea that Lily was really a physicist. He didn't translate that part of the questions, but he had a suspicion all along that Lily had a smattering of English -- she just wasn't confident of it.

The major finally did as requested; with Lily taking notes on her issue PDA. That evening, as they were walking back to the barracks, Lily was silent most of the way. Usually she was brimming with comments about what she'd seen -- it was unusual for her to be so quiet.

Finally before they parted she touched his arm. "Could we go to the conference room and talk? Privately?"

"Certainly," he told her.

She faced him as soon as they were inside, without bothering to sit down. "Tom, I have a couple of requests. Please, the first doesn't reflect on you. I am suffering from what you'd call 'beginner's luck.' I saw something I understood. It's a measure of how messed up my worldview is that I was a paranoid about it, thinking I was being tricked.

"Yes, in the days that followed we made great leaps -- but we quickly advanced past the point where my particular expertise wasn't of much value. I have no particular ability with language -- you know it and I do too. I want to be returned back to the physics department."

"I find your insight valuable," Tom told her honestly.

"And I am more than willing to help, when I can. But I think I will be of more use in physics. I swear, Tom, this isn't about you." She bit her lip and he realized there was something else.

"What is bothering you, Lily?"

"This afternoon, the major was so condescending. He treated me like a child. Either he's lying about how much he knows about the power plant, or he's stupid or ignorant."

"What do you mean, Lily?"

"The design is a variation of some of the research your government is pursuing in a small way -- and mine much more significantly, as it is showing significant early results. They use inertial confinement. I'm not sure how they can make their device so small, but I suspect they understand more about gravity that we do. I believe they can create artificial gravity fields, and that influences their ability to use confinement as a methodology."

"That would be a significant piece of information," Tom allowed. "If you're right about that, I suspect you won't have any trouble going back to physics."

She nodded. "There is a personal thing. It is harder to say. It isn't common in your country, virtually unknown in mine."

"And what's that?"

"You haven't found private quarters. I want to find suitable quarters we can share."

Tom blinked, but didn't answer at first. He was startled that Lily didn't say anything either.

"I'm a fraud, you know," he said sadly after a long pause. "A number of years ago something terrible happened to me. Ever since I fake how I feel about things -- I talk like I'm an open book -- but never coming close to anything that's truly important to me."

She made a dismissive gesture. "There's a saying among your people and a similar one among mine. 'A person's actions speak louder than words.' You didn't know me -- but you stood up for me against my father. In all my experience, no one stands up to my father except a very few high-ranking military officers and party officials. You didn't hesitate, you acted. That bespeaks of the fundamental person that you are. I realize that I'm being forward; I realize that there is no basis between us for a relationship. I am prepared to be patient, to come to know the real you, and go from there."

He sighed, "I've realized of late that it's no fun -- and less use -- to run away. I can't make any promises, Lily."

She laughed. "If we move in together, I can promise you trouble from my father."

Tom sighed. "Lily, in the spirit of honesty and candor, I've found that I work well with your father."

She blinked. "You are an American; I can believe that you established a superior position -- but to work well with him?"

"I treated him as a professional equal and he treated me the same way."

"There is something important about you that I don't know, then."

"I told you. Something terrible happened to me. I've never been able to talk about it."

"Everyone fancies themselves as a psychologist. It's a cheap emotion and invariably wrong. Nonetheless, the conventional wisdom about such events is that talking about it helps," Lily told him.

"If thinking about it twists my guts, talking about it won't help."

"Yes or no: will be together?"

"Yes."

"Then there is no problem. One day you will tell me -- or it won't work."

Tom shrugged. "In truth, if you go back to physics it will be less of a problem than if we worked together every day."

Lily chucked. "Tom, dear friend -- I intend to work with you as much as possible, come what may. You are one of the few people who has ever understood me. You are the only person who has ever stood up for me."

"Then lets review the list of suitable compartments and pick one."

"Be shameless, Tom. Status is everything to a Chinese. It doesn't hurt among your people."

"And if my idea of our status doesn't match yours?"

"I am a young woman; I would be the first to admit that I lack experience in many things. On the other hand, I am not a typical Chinese woman: I have no intention of submitting quietly when I think you are making a mistake."

"We all make mistakes. Most of them, with a little thought, would have been avoidable. Please, come what may, give me the benefit of your thinking."

The billeting person was gone for the day, but they left a post-it note on the door of their prospective quarters. The next morning they were on the bridge early, and Tom went to speak to Colonel Baird while Lily went to talk to billeting.

One factor of the staff changes aboard the ship was fascinating. While there were lots of new people being added on the worker-bee level, they mostly were assigned into new teams and went over old compartments initially to get a feel for things.

That wasn't true among the senior staff -- more and more senior academics, in spite of the security, had learned of the "gold rush" and had streamed in to "help." Obviously this was a career-making discovery and there was almost a daily turnover in who the senior scientist was that you reported to. One constant, though, had been Colonel Baird.

"Colonel, I have a personal request for you, if you have a moment."

"As a matter of fact, I do have some time -- I scheduled you to be called in later today for a personnel meeting. We get a two-fer. What is it you want, Dr. Christopher?"

"Dr. Chu wants to return to her physics specialty and I concur. She's a major asset wherever she works -- but physics is what she knows best. She was saying last night that Major Reno says they have no clue how the fusion reactor works -- but she thinks she knows."

"That would be important," the colonel agreed. "I'll talk to Dr. Heileman this morning and let him know. I imagine he'll want to talk to her first."

Tom nodded. "And what is it you need, Colonel?"

"I was a little amazed at how fast the Pentagon leaped on your linguist idea. They've grabbed fifty linguists from Monterey, Texas and NSA headquarters and they'll be here within a few days. I'd like Dr. Healy to supervise them, with your concurrence. I had a choice between one of your existing people and someone new ... I didn't think someone with zero experience would work and Dr. Healy is the best choice, I believe."

"I definitely concur."

"Good, have her see me at her convenience this morning and I'll give her the good news. They are couriering in the records this afternoon."

"I'll tell her."

A little later he was back in their conference room. Colonel Baird had taken Lily to see the head of the physics department, so Tom made the announcement about them moving in together.

Cameron was the person Tom was concerned about the most, but she was ebullient. "About time you loosened up!"

"Funny you should say that, Cameron. Remember the first story about Blucher that you told me? About his wanting to bring you up to speed quickly on how to be a PhD?"

"Him giving me two grad students to advise, and two PhD candidates for me to mentor? All at once? Yes, I'm not likely to forget that! Too bad he didn't read my records. Four wasn't as much of a challenge as the twenty linguists I supervised in my section for NSA."

"Well, I broached the idea about a quick source of linguists with security clearances to Colonel Baird. To prove that maybe the military does think this is important, they are sending us a bunch. Baird and I agree, you have experience in this area, and you're the natural choice to supervise."

"And how many did they find on such short notice? Ten or fifteen?"

"Fifty."

Cameron sputtered while Tom continued. "Colonel Baird is going to get with you this afternoon and go over how scheduling will be handled. They'll deal with the orientation and all of that. You'll just handle the scheduling and the occasional question. You'll probably have lots of time to continue your own research."

"Undoubtedly gobs of time," she said wryly. "How soon?"

"This was put together rather quickly. Two or three days, I imagine." He turned serious for that.

They turned to their books, taking copious notes and doing like they had so many other days.

About ten in the morning, Major Reno came in. "We need a couple of volunteers; maybe a little dangerous, but certainly exciting."

Cameron spoke up. "Since I'm about to go into durance vile, let me come along. I know you're going to hog it, Tom."

"Sure. Lead the way, Major."

They had hardly gotten out to the corridor when the major looked around. "Where's the mouthy bitch?"

Cameron put her hand on Tom's arm expecting a violent reaction. He reacted violently, but not in the way she expected.

"Your degree is in what, Major?"

"It's not pertinent to my duties," he said, suddenly defensive.

"You said dangerous, Major. No offense, sir, but I prefer to be led by someone whose degree is pertinent. What sort of site are we going to be inspecting?"

"Something on the engineering level. The initial party wasn't positive enough to characterize if accurately."

"Come then, lets go see Dr. Heileman and pick up a physicist or engineer. Better: both."

"I've been checking locations like this for weeks. I know what I'm doing."

"Major, anyone who can characterize Dr. Chu as a 'mouthy bitch' I have no faith in. Zero. A man who won't tell me what his degree is in -- I have no faith in. Zero. I have no intention of taking my people into an unknown, possibly dangerous compartment led by a man I have no confidence in. I will seek Dr. Heileman 's guidance."

"You have no right!"

"I'm responsible for the people under me. I'm not going anywhere under your command."

He turned and headed for the bridge. Cameron promptly fell in behind him. The truly crushing blow was the half dozen others who traded glances and trailed after Tom.

He saw Lily talking to a tall, lean man with a handlebar mustache; it was quite a 'stache! He walked up to them, aware that everyone was staring at the procession.

"Dr. Heileman, I presume," Tom said lightly.

"Dr. Christopher! Good to meet you! What do I owe this unexpected -- pleasure -- to?" The hitch on the word "pleasure" unexpectedly pleased Tom.

"I was asked to help explore a new compartment; it was described as dangerous. Alas, Dr. Heileman, I have no confidence in the officer assigned to lead the team. Major Reno."

"And why do you lack confidence in Major Reno, Dr. Christopher?"

"His characterization of Dr. Chu as a 'mouthy bitch' and his reluctance to state what his degree is in. I'm sorry, sir, Dr. Chu, but those were his words."

Dr. Heileman stroked one side of his mustache. Then he did it again. "Those exact words?"

"Yes, sir."

Dr. Heileman turned to Major Reno. "Those words, sir?"

"She saw the power plant and began to spout all sorts of gobbledygook! She wouldn't shut up!"

"Gobbledygook? Words of more than one syllable?"

"She's a linguist! What does she know?"

Dr. Heileman turned to Lily. "My abject apologies, Dr. Chu. I never thought you were understating things." With that he placed fingers from each hand in the corners of his mouth.

The whistle was piercing, and got anyone's attention that wasn't already focused on them. "Colonel Baird! Here! Now!" Tom smiled slightly. The good Doctor Heileman reminded him of a British Sergeant Major from the Black Watch he'd met in Iraq. His voice sounded just like his as well.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.