She Took It All - Cover

She Took It All

Copyright© 2011 by happyhugo

Chapter 1

I opened the registered letter after signing for it. It was from the family court clerk requesting my presence before a judge two weeks hence at 9 a.m. on a Tuesday morning. The purpose was for a hearing about a change of custody. Maybe, just maybe, I might be getting back a little of what I had given away.


I parked in the driveway of my former home. Elizabeth had kept the place in fine shape. I could see the pool sparkling out at the side of the house. Not for me to go in through the front door, so I went in by the garage and the entrance into the kitchen.

Madie looked up and dropped the pot she was washing, rushing to me. I was always a favorite and a friend. It was not just a hug I received, but a kiss as well. She wasn't old enough to be my mother, but I loved her as if she were. "Land's sake, Mr. Rheingold, you do startle a body. It has been forever since I have seen you."

"I know, Madie, but I haven't forgotten you. Quick, tell me, what is going on?"

"Simple. The Missus has a new fellow and wants to go to Paris with him. They plan on being gone for six months. She knows it would not be right for me and Will to watch over the boy for that long. What you fought for is finally coming true. She wants you to take Jimmy to live with you."

"I suspected that might be it. It is still all about her isn't it?" There was a noise of someone behind me. I turned to face my ex-wife.

"You're still bitter, aren't you John? Well, I am not surprised. Maybe a little bitterness will help you get over me. Personally, I think you have no reason to be bitter. I picked you up in college and you will have to admit I gave you your start in life."

"Maybe, but in so doing, you stepped on my heart and ground it beneath your feet. Really though, I was just making an observation. I am over you. Tell me what your plans are, before we get to court? I want to know if I am going to need my attorney for this."

"You don't. I'm handing you the custody of Jimmy. You do still want him living with you, don't you?"

"I do. This is just so sudden. For the winter vacation, you wouldn't let him come to me and would only let me see him for two days when I came here to visit. Why the big change?"

"I guess I can tell you. I've fallen deeply in love. Jimmy resents my new interest and has been very difficult. I suppose you could say Brian gave me a choice, him or Jimmy."

"Where is Jimmy? I'd like to see him."

Elizabeth looked at Madie. "Do you know where my son is?"

"Of course. He always tells me where he will be. He took some food down to a house at the end of the street. Mrs. Waters and her two children are being evicted today. They are his friends and he is worried he won't ever see them anymore."

"I didn't say you could let Jimmy take some poor trash our food. I want you to stop letting Jimmy do this. I don't believe it. Someone is being evicted on this street. The neighborhood is certainly going down hill."

"Yes, Miss." My ex turned back to the living room. Madie rolled her eyes at me.

"I still have a couple of hours before court. Tell me where I can find Jimmy."

"It is the little bungalow on this side at the end of the street and the last place before the city playground. If Jimmy is not there, he will be at the playground with two little girls. He is their protector."

"I'll find him. Is there anything else I can take to the woman?"

"I'll bet she would like some hot coffee. I'll put it in a carafe for you. Here are some sweet buns to go with the coffee. I think her power was turned off so I'm sure she'll appreciate something hot."

Madie put the hot coffee into a camping thermos and the buns in a bag. There was a full dozen of these. The end of the street was eleven houses away. It had been two years since the divorce and I wanted to walk by my neighbors, some of them who had been my friends. I guess it was too early for anyone to be out, for I didn't see anyone.

When I approached the last house, I could see my son sitting on the front steps with two others, both girls. One looked to be his age of eleven and the other was smaller. He glanced up at me and ran toward me screaming, "That's my Dad," and ran into my arms. The two girls hung back.

Little gentleman that he had been trained for, he introduced me to Kathy and Sandy Waters. "How long are you going to be here? It has been so long since I have seen you. Can I go home with you this time?"

"Maybe you can, son. Your mother is considering it." The two girls looked dejected and started edging away toward the playground.

"Dad, Kathy and Sandy wanted me to go with them to say good-bye to their friends at the playground. They are having to move today and wanted me with them."

"Go with them if you wish. Kathy is your Mom home?"

"Yes, she is using the last of the hot water for a shower. The electricity got turned off."

"Is it okay if I go in and talk to her?"

"Sure, just open the door." Curious, she asked, "What do you have in the bag?"

"Buns. Would you like some?"

A shy yes came forth. The three kids took a couple each and went on down to the playground. I turned and went up to the steps into the house. I opened the door and found the kitchen almost empty with no chairs or table. I set the coffee and buns on the counter and advanced into the next room.

Near the far wall across the room, there was a woman bent over poking into a box, which was sitting on the floor. Her back was to me and I don't think she heard me enter. I was in a quandary. Could I escape back into the kitchen before she knew I had seen her? She being naked, that is.

I tried. I wasn't successful. She screamed and then told me to get out or she would call the cops. I ignored her outburst and started talking over her. "I have coffee if you would like a cup. Your daughter Kathy said to come right in. You might put some clothes on before you do, though." I grinned as she whirled and disappeared into another room.

It was just a few minutes before she was facing me. "Who are you?"

"Jimmy's dad. He and your girls are down to the playground. Madie said you were moving today and I brought coffee and some buns. The kids took most of them."

"Let me find cups. Yes, we are moving, but not by choice. The sheriff is coming about noon. We are going to a shelter for the homeless. Thank God, we found a room there today. Otherwise, we would be sleeping in my old car."

"Up against it are you?"

"You could say that. I begged my landlord to let me stay here until school was out or we would have been out a month ago. He has been pretty understanding, but he depends on the rent. Jimmy has been really nice. He even brought us milk and cereal for breakfast this morning."

"So what happened to put you in such a hole?"

"Ex-husband won't or can't pay child support. I lost my job as an accountant. My ex works as a carpenter but it doesn't seem as if it is steady. I'm not sure if it is him or the men he works for where the problem lies. Eventually I'll find work and we'll be okay."

The woman was as attractive clothed as she was without. Her hair was a dark gold, her features regular, lips maybe a little wide and full and her shape, well no need to go there. I had seen it all. I felt it was time to apologize for walking in on this woman. "I'm sorry about seeing you in dishabille."

"Are you really? Actually, you have the word dishabille wrong. That means partially undressed. I do believe I was totally naked."

"I do believe you were too. Can we change the subject? How about your family? Can't they help you out?"

"My father is helping all he can, but he lives so far away. Mom calls and tells me to keep my spirits up. I have to, and I do act it for the girls. They feel terrible about being so poor. This last year Jimmy has been their friend and he shares his toys and games. Both girls have had the use of his laptop and he has taught them a lot."

"He's down here often?"

"All the time. I think it is because he is so lonely at home."

"You mean because his mother doesn't pay any attention to him?"

"You said that, I didn't."

"Um yes, I did didn't I? Look I have to be in court in a half hour. Can I come back and be with you when the sheriff comes? It might make your daughters feel better. I will even take you all out to dinner. It may just be postponing the inevitable, but you have been such a good friend to Jimmy, I'd like to do something."

I paused and then grinned. "I'll even knock on the door this time."

"Was it that bad what you saw of me?"

This time I looked into her eyes. "No. No, it wasn't bad at all, but I only had a glimpse before I retreated. I did not want to embarrass you. " I escaped out the door. I ran down to the playground.

"Jimmy, stay here with Kathy, Sandy, and their mother. I'll come by and pick you up later." I really had to beat it to my car and I made the court just as the judge was entering his chambers where we were to meet.

One thing about Elizabeth, she could manipulate most anyone she came in contact with. I knew this. Hadn't she done this to me for nine long years? The judge was no exception. The only question was who I would have to look after Jimmy if I was granted the custody of my son.

When questioned, "Your Honor, I have just this morning interviewed a lady who I believe would accept employment to care for my son while I am working. She knows him already and is very fond of him."

The looks were daggers I was receiving from Elizabeth and she stuck in her two cents by asking, "Is this the woman who is being evicted?"

"Yes she is. I understand Jimmy has spent more time with her and her two children than he has spent in his own home since you and I were divorced. Madie, your own housekeeper tells me this. She has been a second mother to him while you weren't always there for him."

The judge asked Elizabeth, "Do you believe your ex-husband will care for his son in a way that is good for the boy?"

"Yes, I do. I firmly believe it or I wouldn't have considered giving him sole custody."

"Mr. Rheingold, if I can be assured of him being under a suitable woman's care, I will give you custody. When can I meet this person?"

"I think I can arrange it by three this afternoon."

"Good. Be here in my office at that time. We will discuss it then."

The only thing Elizabeth had to say to me was, "You've changed, John. You're much more decisive than you used to be."

"Maybe dear, I had a chance to grow new wings. Wings that were not always being clipped by you. I'll have the judge call you after I meet with him. Or should I have him call your attorney with his decision?"

"Have him call me."


I wanted custody of my son and I was determined to have him with me. I was figuring out how to enlist Jimmy in helping me. I decided I would play it straight or nearly so.

When I arrived back at the Waters' residence, an old gentleman was introduced as the landlord. He was waiting to take possession of his property when Mrs. Waters was evicted. I got into a conversation with him. "May I rent this house just as it is as soon as you receive the keys back from Mrs. Waters? I'll only need it for a week, I think, but if I pay you up front, maybe the second week as well."

"Sure, I can do that. Why though?"

"Mrs. Waters is a friend of mine and may not be able to move her stuff for awhile."

"Rent it as long as you want as long as I get my money." I made out a check for two weeks' rent. Jimmy was standing with me while I was doing the negotiating. He was puzzled. The two girls and their mother were inside just waiting.

The sheriff did arrive and formally evicted Mrs. Waters. When he started to move their possessions, I said I had arranged to store them for the next two weeks and would see about having them removed at that time. The landlord verified what I was saying. He left soon after the sheriff with a check I wrote in his pocket.

I went inside. "Come on ladies, Jimmy and I are taking you all out to lunch. I have something I want to discuss with everyone."

It took an hour to convince Mrs. Waters to work as my housekeeper. She would be moving to my home. I think it was the kids who convinced her. Her children were overjoyed to think that they would still have Jimmy to hang out with in his new home. Sandy was especially happy about the change that would keep her with Jimmy.

Jimmy of course had been concerned he would have to return to the days when he would be alone most of the time. Especially if he was moving to live with me and not knowing anyone.

Elizabeth was waiting at the courthouse when we arrived to meet with the judge. I knew she was curious about Mrs. Waters. I introduced the two women. I couldn't give Mrs. Waters' name because I had not heard it.

"Shelly is my name. Jimmy still calls me Mrs. Waters and that is why John doesn't know it. You have a great child Ms. Rheingold. I love him a lot." Elizabeth wrinkled her nose.

Shelly gave the judge a short bio of herself. "I was married. Divorced, but still have some love for my former husband. He is ordered to pay child support, but is unemployed so he is behind in payments. I became unemployed and am behind on my rent. Mr. Rheingold has offered me the position as his housekeeper to keep his house and care for his son while he is working.

"I have two girls who met and became friends with Jimmy Rheingold and that is how I know him and more recently met Mr. Rheingold. This will solve some of my problems in providing for my family and hopefully do the same for Mr. Rheingold."

Shelly gave the judge the name of her former employer and the judge called to see what that person would have to say about her. He listened and when he hung up, he immediately signed the order giving me custody of Jimmy.

Elizabeth had a few words for Jimmy when we came out of the judge's office. I think she was looking at our son with opened eyes. I suspect he had been growing up without her really knowing him, even though she was the one in charge of him.

I had a few words for her, telling her that although Jimmy would not be living with her, he was still her son and she was still his mother.

"Thank you John. I won't forget our son. I will be gone for a while, but I will think about him often. I'll think about you as well. I guess we are from two different cultures and never should have been married."

"We were happy for awhile. I can't say I regret being married to you, but I knew long before we divorced that our marriage wasn't working. I think now I am happier than I was when I was married to you. I hope you find happiness as well."

"I'm sure I will. I will see both of you when I get back from Europe in the winter. My plans are I'm leaving in two days. While you are in town, you may have the use of the guest room at the house. Jimmy of course can stay in his own room until you leave.

"I'll be going out tonight so make yourself at home."

This had been my home. I certainly knew my way around in it. It did not feel like home though and hadn't for quite some time.

Shelly and the kids got into my car and I transported us back to what had been her house. It was now being rented by me. I went inside. The beds had gone the way of the kitchen set and had been repossessed by the rental store yesterday. The family had slept on the floor last night.

I looked around me. "This won't do at all. Jimmy, you let the two girls sleep in your bed tonight. You can sleep on one of the couches. I'll crash in with Madie and Will. They won't mind. Shelly you get the guest room."

"Oh no, I can't do that."

"Sure you can. Elizabeth said I could use the guest room and I'm having it occupied. She probably won't even notice. If she does, well she owes me big time. It will be just for tonight anyway. Have you met Madie and Will yet?"

"Not yet, but Jimmy has told me how great they are."

"They are just as great as he has said. We will go out and have dinner somewhere and then we'll all go in and see Madie. She'll think it fun to put one over on Elizabeth. We will have breakfast in the kitchen and then we will get ready to move things to my place. It is a seven-hour drive."

"How are you moving Jimmy?"

"I'll be renting a U-Haul and hiring someone to drive it."

"I can drive it if it isn't bigger than a twenty-footer. I used to drive some for my father."

"There you go. As of seven tomorrow morning you are employed as my truck driver."

The family dressed as best they could and I took them to a mid-sized restaurant. The two girls had never been to as nice a place as this and were looking all around at the people. Jimmy of course took them in hand and kind of led them through the meal.

Elizabeth's car was gone when I took us all into the kitchen where Madie was finishing her chores for the day. She fell right into my plans and thought it a great joke on her employer. The little girls were in awe when they saw where they were sleeping in Jimmy's bed.

Shelly said, "His bed is big enough and they are all tired. Let Jimmy sleep in the same bed with them. It will be okay. Is the bed in the guest room the same size?"

"Yes it is."

"Well, I don't see any reason you can't sleep in bed with me. Just don't be getting any ideas though."

"I think I will be taking you up on the offer and don't you be getting any ideas either." We stood there grinning at each other. I thought, "Not tonight, but maybe someday."

I'm sure Madie and Will were going to be sharing a laugh when they retired.

I was rudely awakened sometime during the night. Elizabeth was shaking me. "John, I didn't tell you to bring your whore into my home with you. Tell her to get out."

"Elizabeth, get out of this room. You offered me the use of it, so in essence it is mine for the duration. Go out into the living room and I will be right out. We'll talk about it. The woman is tired so let her get some rest." My ex whirled and left the room, not even closing the door.

Shelly whispered, "We can leave if you want."

"Go back to sleep. I can handle this." I closed the door behind me as I left.

Elizabeth was fuming when I reached the living room. I attacked. "We were sleeping before you woke us up. I have not been in bed with a woman for a while, but tonight it was just for rest. If you must know, Jimmy is sleeping with those two sweet little girls in his bed as well. We will all be leaving in the morning.

"Now I'm telling you not to go into his room and make a scene. You are his mother and believe it or not, he loves you. You have not shown much affection to him lately and the jury is out in his mind whether you love him or not. He feels as if you are dumping him on me. Oh, he loves me and is glad he is coming to live with me, but he feels abandoned just the same."

"He shouldn't feel that way. How are you going to move his stuff anyway?"

"I'll lease a truck and Shelly is going to be driving it for me. She doesn't have much but that will be loaded on the truck as well."

"She's driving a truck? What kind of person are you getting mixed up with now? Have you lost your senses? Why are you exposing Jimmy to someone like them?"

"Elizabeth, those people as you call them, are my kind of people. Sad to say, I forgot that for a while. I am forever thankful that you asked for a divorce, which freed me and made me open my eyes to what I was when I was married to you. Looking back, I don't think I was even a man. I was so enamored by your looks and your wealth, it was easy to be seduced.

"You know what? I was bored the last few years I was with you and I didn't know why. It was because I wasn't being productive. Every person should be productive. I learned how to make contacts in the business world from listening to them about what they did and how they did it. One day I woke up and knew the easy life wasn't for me. They might not have shown it, but in one way or another, they were all productive. I have tried to emulate them and I have succeeded.

"I'm an up and coming man in the business world I now live in. I am respected more than I ever was when I was your husband. It feels wonderful."

"What a bunch of bullshit. You loved being with me every minute."

"At first, maybe, but it was always all about you and your wants. I gave in to you to hide the guilt I felt about myself for living your life. Eventually there wasn't anymore in me to give. When you asked for a divorce, that is when my life began."

"I don't believe you."

"Believe what you want. Look, this conversation is senseless. I'm going back to bed. As I said, I'll be out of here in the morning."

"John, what about Jimmy? I gave you custody, but he is still mine."

"Jimmy is your son and maybe if you showed him love he would return it. I am not turning him against you. I want to have him grow up and someday with the values I'll be teaching him, you will be the winner. I'll teach him to love you in spite of how you treat him."

"You are a hard man, John and different than you were before."

"Yes, I guess I am. Goodnight, Elizabeth."

Shelly was still awake when I crawled back into bed. "I heard you raise your voice."

"I did. Nothing has changed though. We are still headed for my hometown as soon as we wind things up here and get the truck rented and loaded. Are you sure you want to drive it?"

"Yes, of course."

Shelly was in Jimmy's room helping him pack his things. She had just said, "Take only what you will be using in your new home. Leave some of everything here, for you will be coming back and staying with your mother sometimes after she comes back from Paris."

"I won't either. She doesn't want me."

"Oh, I'm sure she will. I suspect she will miss you more than she thinks she will."

Just then, Elizabeth entered. "This should be Madie's job in packing Jimmy's things." Jimmy looked at his mother and bugged out leaving the two adults alone.

"Well, she is watching my children for a minute and I wasn't busy. My things are all packed and John wants to get to the rental place and pick up a truck. He wants to be all loaded tonight and we will be starting early tomorrow morning." Shelly kept sorting clothes.

"You know Mrs. Rheingold, many of these things will be too small for Jimmy in six months. Will you be purchasing new things for him when he comes to stay with you, or shall I send clothes with him?"

"I guess you had better send things with him." With a little bitterness, "You are pretty much taking over with Jimmy, aren't you?"

"Yes, I am. John has hired me to take care of the boy."

"Are you going to be living with him?"

"Same house, yes. John has a small apartment in the back where he will be staying. I am to have the main house for the children and myself. It has three bedrooms and the other only has one. The previous owners used it for the husband's mother."

"Convenient for you isn't it. I mean for a man to give up his home for someone with a bunch of kids who he has just met."

"Yes, isn't it? In reality, John has listened to Jimmy and what Jimmy has wanted. The boy did not want to give up my girls. This wouldn't work out very well if I had the small apartment to sleep in and John had the three children in his home. We agreed this was a much better arrangement."

"Why doesn't he just sleep with you?"

"It wouldn't be right. John wants Jimmy and yes, my two as well, to know right from wrong. John has also agreed that my ex-husband, Ronnie, can sleep on the couch in the smaller apartment when he comes to visit our children.

"You know this is going to be so convenient for me. Ronnie only lives about forty miles from John's house. My in-laws are even closer, so the kids can see their grandparents almost anytime they want to. When you come to visit Jimmy, Jimmy will bunk in with his father and you can have your son's room."

"That will be so cozy, won't it? All of us sleeping in the little house all together."

"It could be, Mrs. Rheingold, it could be. I really do want to thank you for letting us stay here last night. May I ask for you to extend your invitation by one more night?"

"I don't seem to have much say in the matter, do I?" Elizabeth thought a minute. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean that. Of course you may. There are more rooms here you can stay in if you prefer for your children."

"No need, they will be fine as they were last night. You have a beautiful home here."

"Yes, well it is, and I'm proud of it. Sad to say, it did not appear to be good enough for John. He told me last night he was bored living here. He has some kind of cultural issues. I do not understand. I gave him everything."

"That might have been the problem between you two. I only met John yesterday, but he seems to be a person that feels if he has something, he should have had to earn it. I feel the same way myself. Right now, though I don't have much, but it is because I don't have a chance to earn anything."

Shelly kept working and turned to face Elizabeth when she finished packing the last suitcase. Elizabeth had been just watching and saying nothing. Shelly took up the conversation again.

"I shouldn't say I don't have a chance. Yesterday I didn't, but today I do thanks to John. John has hired me and having an honest job to provide for your family, makes a person feel so rich." Suddenly, Elizabeth left the room ending the verbal exchange.

An hour later John drove the sixteen foot U-Haul around the circle drive and backed up to the four-car garage. All of Jimmy's toys were stored in one stall. There were bicycles of about every type and description.

"You may take three of them. Your skis and equipment can go. I don't think you will need your kayak."

"How about taking my four-wheeler?"

"I don't think so. If I think you will be using it, I can have Will send it out by truck. You'll be in touch with him and Madie about every week. They love you like a son."

"More than Mother does, that's for sure."

"Don't talk against your mother. She loves you. She just doesn't show it."

"You should know all about that, Dad. Mom still claims she still loves you, but it is so false. One day she said this when I was crying about missing you so much. An hour later she left with that asshole she is going to Paris with."

"That is something between her and me. I still love her a little myself. After all, she gave me you. Twice, as a matter of fact. You had better watch your language, son. Do you want your friends talking like you just did?"

Shelly came out and said as soon as I had Jimmy's things loaded, she would drive the truck down the street to her former home to load up her belongings. I let her drive. She backed into her driveway perfectly. This relieved some of my concerns about her abilities.

Her old car was still in the driveway behind the truck. Her landlord came around the corner about then. "What are you going to do with your old car?" he asked Shelly.

"Junk it, I guess. I was about to call a yard to come look at it."

"They won't give you more than fifty bucks for it. Tell you what, Mrs. Waters, I'll allow you two hundred against your back rent." That still leaves you owing me $2,000. That you can pay me when you can."

I couldn't believe this. The landlord was trusting Shelly to pay when she was moving almost five hundred miles away. "I will pay and thank you for allowing so much on the car. I will pay you interest on what I owe, too. I promise."

"I have no doubt, because your word has always been good. I really am sorry about you leaving." The old man was helping carry out the packing boxes.

When we were almost done, the old guy took the kids down to the park to buy them a good-bye ice cream. "John, I don't suppose you could lend me what I owe could you? I hate to make him wait. He really is a nice person and has been so good to us. You can deduct half my wages until it is paid."

I guess if the landlord was willing to trust her with living so far away, I could trust her living at the same address with me. I walked back up to my former home and got my checkbook. Shelly gave me his name and I made out the check for her to give to him when he came back with the kids.

The old person looked at the check and there were tears in his eyes. "Thank you so much. I really did need this pretty bad, but I knew you didn't have it. Bless you, Mrs. Waters."


Elizabeth usually made Jimmy dress for dinner, but as she wasn't there when Madie had it ready, I said it wasn't necessary. We decided we would eat in the kitchen with Madie and Will. The kids got silly relating things that had happened when they were on the playground. This had been going on for a little time, when I looked up and saw Elizabeth watching us from the dining room.

She had come in and we were too involved to hear her. Her place was set in the formal dining room as usual. "Join us Elizabeth. This is Jimmy's way of saying good-bye to Madie and Will. You won't be seeing him for awhile either, so he can say good-bye to you at the same time."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.