Tempest of Lies - Cover

Tempest of Lies

Copyright© 2011 by A Strange Geek

Chapter 18

Fantasy Sex Story: Chapter 18 - Amanda has once again been ripped from a life that she knew into one that is unknown, but this time not by her own choice. Reduced to a mere possession, her independence seems doomed to be crushed by the Urisi slave system. Yet even far from Oceanus, events conspire to draw her into the fray once more, as the Inonni realize that bringing "Enlightenment" to Oceanus is not as easy as they had hoped.

Caution: This Fantasy Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/ft   Magic   Slavery   Fiction   BDSM   DomSub   MaleDom   Oral Sex   Masturbation   Sex Toys  

Jollis rose just before dawn, when moisture from a rain shower which had passed during the night still lingered in the grasses and dripped from the trees. The air already felt warm, at least compared to what he had become used to back in his homeland. There, the air would still feel frosty, the cherry blossoms' brazen display of color defying the final vestiges of winter. Yet here the peasants had already prepared for the onset of summer while much of Oceanus still enjoyed the cool and wet spring. Not that the tropics had much resembling a winter, as everything stayed green and vibrant all year round.

Jollis was sure he would grow tired of such sameness after only a short span of seasons. Nevertheless, he practiced the tenet of enjoying the moment; the beauty would soothe his conscience against whatever otherwise distasteful actions he may be forced to take. That he felt the need for such preparation, however, disturbed him.

He had not had a chance to see as much of the Manor as he would have liked during his last visit; Amanda's rejection of his Farviewing pearl had made it seem inappropriate, as if he were reveling in the disruption of her life. But now he felt the need to live up to his name and wander.

As distasteful as he had found the Overlord slave system, he could see why one might wish to stay here. The constant warmth was comforting, and he imagined a certain amount of freedom was to be had in remaining unfettered by the need for clothing in such a salubrious climate. And to those who loved the unending greenery, it could indeed be a paradise to the senses.

He remembered where all the paths led. Sometimes he wished his memory were not so unerring; he would have enjoyed the feeling of discovery. For the first time in a long while he thought of his childhood. He had been at the temple for only a half-moon and had already missed many lectures, preferring to roam the grounds to see what he could find. He could never take the same path twice; he always had to look for something new.

The winding path took him towards the center of the Manor, the clearing where the slaves were trained in the open air and sunshine. He had watched Amanda here once, and again wished he had not been distracted by other matters at the time.

He approached the decorative stone arch and suddenly paused just a few steps short of passing under it. There it was yet again! The disconcerting sense of being watched! But here? Why?

Surely this could not be his own conscience. He had come to terms with everything he had done. Yet as he stepped onto the grass, the feeling became more pronounced, as if the slaves had never left and were staring at him, the stranger, wondering if Roquan had allowed this man into their midst to...

Jollis frowned as he stopped in the center. He looked around as if needing to convince himself he were really alone. No, this was wrong. His emotions did not work like that. They confronted him openly in the court of his mind; they did not skulk in the shadows like thieves.

Yet the sensation was not as pronounced as it had been at the Rogue Mage encampments, and even then it had been fleeting. This was constant, like an annoying buzzing in his ear.

Jollis wandered about the clearing. The sensation was strongest at the southern edge, near a thicket of trees which separated the clearing from a nearby path. If what he felt was indeed emotional in nature, this made no sense. These trees held no special meaning to him.

Jollis turned his head and squinted as the first rays of morning sun touched his face and stretched across the grass. He would not have time to investigate this further. He had to prepare for a more urgent task: following up on the alleged major encampment at Virgia Point. They were fortunate to find at least two Cohorts who knew the area, and they were indeed surprised to hear it contained a large group of Rogue Mages. Their memories would be used first, and then Jothan would supply his to refine the location.

Jollis traveled up the west-side path, intent on speaking with Elder Yurton before he met with Mage Master Verano. He was nearly upon the entrance to the Elder's quarters when he stopped and turned his head. Yet again, the same sensation, though now there was something different about it.

"Is there a problem, honored Wanderer?" asked one of the warriors flanking the entrance.

Jollis turned to him long enough to respond "perhaps" before he continued past the Elder's residence and approached the main gate. The sensation was far more diffuse here. He had trouble telling from where it came. Perhaps the trees on the right or the Overlord Portal to the left. He was no Portal sensitive, so he doubted he was sensing Portal energies. That sensation did not give one the feeling of being observed.

He headed back towards Yurton's residence. The sensation faded again.

"Yes, Wanderer?" asked one of the warriors when Jollis gave him an earnest look.

"I would advise you to keep alert to all activity in this area."

"We do so in the normal course of our duty to protect the Elder."

"Very good. Please continue to do so."

"I feel I must ask again: is there a problem?"

Jollis glanced again towards the area near the path to the Portal building. "And again I can answer only 'perhaps.' Or I may simply be overly cautious because I feel it is so important I succeed in my task." He turned towards the entrance. "I will see the Elder now."

"Of course, Wanderer," said the warrior, and both he and his companion stepped back.


Jothan did not allow himself to sleep in too late, as he did not want to risk attracting even the least amount of suspicion. He would husband his magical energies and use them to boost his alertness. The Inonni did not appear to wish to tax his magical abilities very much anyway.

He approached the tree facing the path to the Portal building where he had placed the spy pearl, but too many people might see him were he to try to extract it. It was difficult to restrain his eagerness, as he had already sensed what the pearl would tell him. To a Portal sensitive, not even sleep would block it from his mind.

The Inonni had indeed cycled the Portal on its transdimensional setting, though he would have to consult the pearl to learn if they had actually managed to reach another world. He now knew what the Inonni were doing but not why. A more detailed analysis of the energy readings might yield a clue, but that would have to wait.

Jothan frowned. Like the spy pearl near the circle, this one was leaking energy as well despite his recent efforts. He reasoned an imbalance existed in the magic itself. He would have to retrieve some of the malfunctioning pearls when it came time to leave so he could learn what he had done wrong.

Once more, he was struck by the strange absence of his brethren. The only familiar faces he had seen were Jollis and Verano. The former had attired himself in utilitarian yet rugged clothing of muted browns and greens, tailored tight to his body's exact proportions.

He uttered a small sigh of relief. Despite the implications of Garranus' disappearance, he had been grateful to learn the Mages of Virgia Point would be safe. Despite what Marlon might think, it disgusted Jothan to reveal the location to the Inonni, especially now after his Farview with Taarla.

Jothan watched until Jollis and Verano parted. Jollis left, and Verano turned towards him. The Mage Master smiled and bowed his head before he entered Yurton's dwelling. Jothan bowed his head in response, and then narrowed his eyes when Verano was gone. He had expected to be summoned to help provide the targeting for their Portal to Virgia Point. He wondered if the delay should be a concern.

Jothan wandered towards the main gate on his way to the north path. As he was about to pass the two Cohorts flanking the road out of the Manor, he stopped and frowned, then glanced towards the jungle.

For a moment, Jothan thought he had imagined it. He had handled the Farviewing pearl enough (before concealing it in his quarters with his own stealth spell) that perhaps some of Garranus' lingering energies imbued in the pearl had sloughed off onto his body. It did not make sense he would be detecting the magical resonance of his brethren here.

Jothan advanced past the gate, and the sensation faded. He paused, turned, and headed back. The sensation returned.

The two Cohorts eyed him with mild interest. Jothan did not care to be the object of their scrutiny, but he had to be sure. He walked by the gate going the way he had originally come. This time, the sensation lingered for a short distance before it finally faded.

Jothan raised an eyebrow while still turned away from the Cohorts. The feeling was similar to what he had felt in Garranus' former quarters, but this seemed ... stale was the best way he could put it. Stale and decayed, flat and inanimate. Had Garranus left him another clue? If so, it was outside the Manor.

Jothan turned towards the gate and cast a friendly smile towards the Cohorts as he strolled between them. He had barely crossed the imaginary border of the Manor when one of the Cohorts stepped into his path.

"Good morning and good blessings to you, honored Mage," said the Cohort, bowing his head. "May I ask where you are going?"

Jothan was tempted to answer "no" just to see what would happen. Instead, he returned the customary greeting and retained his smile. "I wish to take an extended constitutional this morning. It is a lovely day and I enjoy being among nature."

"A most noble cause, which is why it is unfortunate I must deny you passage, unless you obtain permission from the Holy Elder."

Jothan laughed, trying to make it sound jovial. "And I didn't realize my agreeing to work for the Inonni meant I would be a prisoner."

The Cohort folded his hands. His companion edged forward. "Not a prisoner at all, honored Mage. This is for your own protection."

"Is it, now?"

"It is well known how perilous it can be for you and your fellow expatriates. They call you 'Rogue Mage' and -- as I am given to understand -- would stop at nothing to see you killed."

"But I thought the Inonni had brought more enlightened times upon us."

"Indeed, we have, and we continue to do so. But we cannot control the peasantry."

"Ah, I see," said Jothan. He nodded and smiled.

In fact, he did. The Cohort had revealed more information than perhaps he had realized. Now Jothan knew the Inonni had little or no control over the peasantry despite their iron grip over the government institutions. They were not so all-powerful after all.

"But with all due respect," Jothan continued. "I am a reasonably skilled Mage and know many defensive magicks. I am sure I could survive a short walk from the gates of the Manor."

"I am quite sorry, but I cannot allow you to pass without permission."

Jothan paused and turned his head, shading his eyes from the morning sun. He glanced into the jungle with his Mage Sight, the weak glow from his eyes hidden from the Cohorts' view. He saw only the barest flickers of energy, which could have come from any number of mundane sources.

He lowered his hand and bowed his head. "Very well. I will see if the illustrious Elder Yurton will grant me an audience. Good day and good blessings."

He left before the Cohort could properly return the gesture.

He had taken only a few steps when Verano emerged from Yurton's residence and waved, smiling. "Ah, Mage Jothan. I caught you before you had gone very far."

Jothan thought to make a pithy comment about how that was impossible given the state of security, but he refrained and folded his hands before him. "I'm at your service as always."

"Very good. We are ready to add your memories to the Portal matrix so we may initiate the final targeting sequence." Verano beamed. "I am sure you are quite curious as to how the process works!"

"Yes, indeed, I am. Please lead the way, Mage Master."

As he fell into step beside Verano, he glanced back at the gate for a moment. He was convinced the Inonni were hiding more than an old Overlord Portal. He had intended to linger here for up to a half moon if needed for a more thorough investigation. Now he felt he had very little time left.

Verano led Jothan past Yurton's dwelling and down another path. They arrived at a small beach dotted with a curious mix of structures clearly built by the former Overlord. They followed the same pattern of native materials which blended well with the surroundings. Interspersed among them were buildings which sat upon foundations of dressed stone with walls of strange tube-like fibers and exotic dark woods, their designs following the curvilinear forms Jothan had seen on Inonni sailing ships.

As he watched, a Cohort opened the door to one of the older structures, revealing sacks of flour and seed stacked within.

"As far as we can tell, this was originally built by the former Overlord," said Verano. "The interiors were more elegant compared to the slave quarters, so we imagine they were used for visiting dignitaries. There appears to have once been something similar to a gazebo."

Jothan nodded. He believed he knew this place. He had heard the Overlords had organized some sort of Conclave prior to the civil war. This was likely where it had been held.

"We use the older buildings for storage now. It seemed such a waste to just raze them."

"How practical of you," said Jothan with a wide smile.

Verano smiled in return. "We are indeed a very practical people. Ah, here we are."

The Mage led them to the largest of the Inonni-designed buildings, where two more of the ubiquitous staff-wielding warriors stood. They stepped aside as the Mage approached, casting nary a glance at his companion as he parted the curtain draped across the entrance.

Jothan first heard the faint thrumming noise then felt the vibration under his feet as he stepped across the threshold. Ahead of him rose a narrow cylinder with walls of bright, sparkling crystal. His eyes swept up to the cables of delicately spun Mage Glass twisting from the top. He followed them until they disappeared through a gap in a thick, black drape which bisected the space behind the cylinder.

Jothan was tempted to look at it with Mage Sight, but he did not want to reveal his ability. Nothing, however, could mask the Portal energies, even as muted as these were. He marveled at how regimented the power flow felt, far more steady and sure than anything Oceanus had ever built.

"So I assume the Portal mechanism itself is behind the drape?" asked Jothan.

Verano gave him a soft smile. "Indeed. It pains us to hide it from you, but it is hoped in time we can share our technical knowledge."

Jothan forced a small smile in return. If we don't figure it out ourselves without your help, you pompous ass, he thought. His gaze turned towards the cylinder. "And is this the receptacle for my ... ah, I see." His eyes had fallen on the seat inside the cylinder

Verano swept an arm towards the cylinder "Please, sit and make yourself comfortable while I calibrate the device."

Despite wanting to appear cooperative, Jothan paused at the entrance. He sensed other energies here as well, faint and jumbled, more lingering resonances of others Mages who had sat in this cylinder.

He glanced to the side when he spotted a flicker of light out of the corner of his eye. Five blue pearls were embedded in the side of the cylinder, facing outward, arranged in a star pattern. All were glowing.

Jothan stepped inside and sat down. Verano rushed to the side of the device, appearing as a faceted blur through the crystal. Shadows passed over the pearls as Verano waved his hands and muttered an incantation. He paused, then after what seemed like a moment's contemplation, he waved a hand over the top-most pearl, and its glow winked out.

Jothan raised an eyebrow but said nothing.

"Now, if you would, Mage Jothan," said Verano. "Face forward, close your eyes, and clear your mind."

Jothan did as he was told. However, it made those lingering resonances all the more pronounced. He could not distinguish any individual one, so he could not tell if Garranus had once sat here. All he could tell was much of it had the same strange "staleness" which he had sensed near the gate.

The thrumming noise grew louder, and he felt a vague tingling sensation along the back of the neck.

"Now keep your eyes closed if you would," said Verano, "And think of Virgia Point."

The images sprang into his head quite readily. He saw the clearing and the ruins which had been locked in their state of frozen decay by preservation spells. He felt the sun on his face and the lingering chill of early spring. He smelled the faint brine on the air when the wind blew from the east.

At first, he tried to see Marlon as well, but quickly pushed that image aside. Just the location, nothing else. Let it appear abandoned. Don't think of anyone in particular.

"Very good, very good," he heard Verano say. "You're using all your senses. You must be quite the perceptive fellow."

"I try to be," Jothan said. "You have to be when--"

"Forgive my rudeness, honored Mage, but please keep yourself focused."

Jothan slowly nodded once. "Right."

He wanted to open his eyes and watch what Verano was doing. The hand gestures, even blurred through the crystal, might give him some clue as to how the energies were being manipulated. Despite the Inonni advancements, magic was still magic, and he may have been able to use his Mage Sight without being noticed.

The tingling along his neck became more pronounced, and the sides of the cylinder trembled in response to the rising thrum of the hidden Portal machinery.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.