A Happy Ending - Cover

A Happy Ending

Copyright© 2011 by Telephoneman

Chapter 5

Sarah did like The Roaches, even though parts seemed a bit too steep for her little legs. She adored Poddy, and spent much of the time trying, unsuccessfully, to follow her everywhere. If she was ever out of our sight for a few moments, either a yelp or squeal would point us in the right direction.

Naturally, I took my camera along and ended up with some good shots of our group and of the area. Unusual for me, I even had the foresight to take an old digital camera with me for Lyn or Sarah to use. Sarah’s initial interest was lost as she preferred running around and climbing. Lyn took over and focused on taking her daughter’s photo from every conceivable angle.

To test out Sarah’s stamina, I’d originally selected an easy route up to The Winking Man, an outcrop that from a certain angle (and with a good deal of imagination) looks like the face of a man. There is even a local pub named in its honour. From the top there are some fabulous views in all directions, including those towards Tittesworth Reservoir. I wasn’t sure whether Lyn loved the views or just loved seeing her daughter’s delight. Either way, she was happy.

Poddy was always leading, she seemed to take it as a personal insult if she wasn’t, with Sarah as keeping as close as she could manage. Us adults set a more sedate pace. It was funny to see the way that my dog would sit and wait for her new young friend.

Lyn had packed a light lunch, so we ate that at the peak, laughing at the antics of Sarah and Pod. By prior agreement, we kept the contact between us to just hand-holding.

“Home or carry on?” I asked.

“What else is there around here?” Lyn asked.

“Loads! There’s Lud’s Church, Three Shires Head or there are plenty of abandoned cottages around.”

“‘bandoned cottages!” Screamed Sarah.

So that’s what we did, we wandered around exploring the former farmhouses, barns and outbuildings. Sarah loved every moment, chasing after Pod, looking in every nook and cranny. She didn’t even cry when she tripped and scraped her knees, which Lyn said was most unlike her.

The day was an outstanding success. We’d really gelled as a family, and both me and Lyn had satisfied smiles on the drive back. Sarah and Pod were both fast asleep before we even started the car.

As it was far too early for Sarah to go to bed, Lyn only allowed her to sleep for the forty minutes it took to get back. I was going to carry her her in, but was stopped.

“She needs to wake up, else she won’t sleep properly tonight.” Lyn told me, before asking, “are you coming in for the evening, or do you prefer to go and get changed first?”

I actually liked the idea that Lyn presumed I would spend the evening with her. I’d already been made aware that Betty was out that evening, I assumed to play Bingo.

“I’d better go home first, don’t forget Poddy is in the back.”

“Oh yes! Okay then, I’ll see you in a bit ... an hour?”

“Yes that’ll be plenty of time to get back, shower and change. What about food, do you want me to call for a Chinese on the way back?”

“Oooh, that’s a great idea. Don’t forget to take Sarah’s car-seat out before you leave.”

That set the tone for the next couple of months. We’d go out two or three times in the week, almost always ending up back at my house for some intimate time together. Weekends were spent with Sarah, and more often than not, Poddy. Betty joined us a couple of times too, as everyone just seemed to meld into a family.

I felt more and more at ease with Lyn, and was certain that she felt the same way. Work was still slow, though I still managed to earn enough to cover my bills. Fortunately, Lyn was not high maintenance, neither of us being into passing fads or new gadgets (excluding photographic one that is).

With Christmas and the new millennium approaching, I decided that the time was right to ask her to marry me. For me it was an easy decision, even if it was one that I’d promised myself I’d never make again. I loved Lyn and adored Sarah. She would become the child I’d always wanted.

We made plans for the holiday period, although it’s more accurate to say that Lyn made plans with her mother, and I fit around them. After a lot of thought, I decided that when Big Ben tolled in the new millennium was the time I would propose. We would be at a party hosted by some work friends of Lyn but I was sure that I could drag her away somewhere quiet.

I bought an expensive solitaire in white gold, something that I knew Lyn preferred, and secreted it in a sock drawer, ready for the big day.

Christmas was extra special for me. Before meeting Lyn, it was just a commercial festival, whose sole purpose appeared to be to boost the economy. Oh yes, there was some faux religious stuff in there as well. Apparently, it was originally the Mid-Winters Day festival that early Christians had hijacked in an attempt to stop the popular pagan feast.

Anyway, I found out that Christmas with children in the household made a huge difference, even if Sarah was no past believing in Santa Claus.

At last it came to the last evening of the Twentieth Century, and the start of a new life for me.

Lyn was in her element, surrounded by fellow party-goers, a good proportion of whom she knew. Parties are not really my scene, so I tended to take a watching and listening brief. We both had a few drinks, Lyn more than me, as I didn’t want to be slurring my words at midnight. She was a popular dance partner, though she always came back to me and would only dance once with any one man.

One advantage, as far as I was concerned, about office parties, which in the main this was, was that there was a wide age range. This meant that I did manage some conversation, and even a couple of dances of my own. I was delighted to hear, from a couple of Lyn’s colleagues, that she seemed a lot happier at work since we’d been together

“Come with me a second, please Lyn.” I asked her as midnight approached. I’d already found a spot that looked ideal.

“It’s nearly midnight.” She answered, shaking her head. “I don’t want to miss it.”

“I thought it would be more romantic if we were alone.” I said softly.

“Later, I want to be with my friends now.”

After five minutes of failed persuasion, I accepted my plan was not going to work. What now? Did I propose in front of everyone, or wait for another opportunity. A new millennium was special, would there be a better chance. I doubted it, so I decided to bite the bullet and do it in front of everybody.

“four ... three ... two ... one” The crowd roared, then there were fireworks, shouting and loads of kissing going on around.

I took out the ring and knelt before Lyn.

“Lyn Redmond, will you marry me?”

Those in the immediate vicinity went quiet and all looked at Lyn. She looked in shock.

“No!!” She shouted at me and ran off.

Talk about a body blow. I hadn’t considered that she didn’t feel the same. Every day she appeared to show that she did. It was now me in shock. I walked out in a daze, people too embarrassed to talk to me just parted to let me through.

Without realising it, I was out in the street, just walking aimlessly. I kept asking myself how I could have got it so wrong, yet when I reviewed our history together, I still came to the same conclusion.

Somehow, I ended up in the local park, which was quite dark and a regular haunt of drug addicts and the like.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.