Meet the Author - Cover

Meet the Author

Copyright© 2010 by John Smith

Chapter 17

Cyn pulled off the road. We hadn't said a word on the drive back. I looked over at her, wondering what was up.

"I couldn't tell you."

"Why?" I asked, then added, "That hurt."

I saw her lips quiver. I knew that my words were not nice, but they were the truth. Both of us needed that, not that it was easy.

After taking a deep breath, she answered, "I talked it over with the school psychologist."

"You did what?"

"You know, school counselor. They come around every week. My mom said they were at her school full time. Makes sense, somehow ... now a days kids shoot, bomb, and kill, but we have less contact with people who are like that. Budget shit. Anyway, I called the school and they called her and she called me. So we talked and ... I couldn't tell you."

"She said you couldn't tell me?" I replied, trying to make some sense of what she was talking about.

"Ok," she said, and took a deep breath. "This is what it came to, after a lot of talking. She presented a scenario after hearing everything I had to say. By the way it was my choice, I knew it wouldn't be a good idea to tell you. Here's what she came up with. See if you don't agree I made the right choice.

"If I would have told you, last weekend, what happened with Stephanie you would have known on Monday. So, at work ... what's his name, you know, the one who doesn't engage his brain when speaking?"

"Larry."

"Yeah, Larry. Now let's say Larry and you are standing by the water cooler."

"No one stands by a water cooler."

"Well, whatever you guys do, anyway. You're standing around and Larry says something like, 'I saw this porno movie, you wouldn't believe what they were doing to this chick. She was getting banged hard by so many guys..."

Cyn didn't need to go on. She could see my fists were clenched and my jaw was tight. This was just a story she came up with, and I was ready to punch Larry out.

When I realized she had stopped talking and was just watching me, I said, "Fuck."

I looked into her eyes, and saw the pain in them. Pain I felt as well.

While I calmed down, neither one of us said a word.

"If something like that had happened, Stephanie would have called me and told me I couldn't put what happened to her in my speech."

Knowing she was right, I reached out and pulled her into an embrace. Darn bucket seats didn't make it easy.

Cyn wasn't done.

"Stephanie needed this. She needed to have it come out. She couldn't do it on her own, and this was ... well, in a way, safe."

"Safe? Letting a huge crowd of people know?"

"You are probably the only one from work who knows. Did you see anyone you knew from work?"

I shook my head as I answered, "No, but there could have been someone half way down the field from us for all I know. It was a good size graduating class and there were a lot of people in attendance."

"True, but then of course they would have had to get the connection between you and I, and then follow that connection to Stephanie."

"I'm starting to get it ... I think. It's out in the open, but only to strangers. Well, and me."

Cyn's mouth quivered as she replied, "You don't think you're a bit strange?"

I was still holding onto her, so I said, "I'll get you for that."

She shrieked in my ear as I started to tickle. I just pulled her closer to me and nuzzled my mouth into the base of her neck. Kept my ears from going deaf, but it didn't help her at all. She is ticklish there as well.

After repeated begging, I stopped. We were both breathing heavy, and smiling at each other.

As soon as I got my breath back I said, "What am I to do now?"

Cyn sighed.

I went on, "Just that story of what Larry might ... and could ... say, set me off. I don't want to punch some poor sucker in the face."

Cyn gave me a look of abject disapproval.

I put out my hands as I said, "Well? I need help here."

Another sigh from Cyn. Then she shifted in her seat, before saying, "I'll take you to my house."

"That's it?"

"That's where you will find your answers."

"Oh, Great Wise One?"

Cyn tried not to crack a smile, but it was forming as she replied, "That is where Stephanie will be."

She started the car and drove. Little did she know that plans had been made some time ago for Stephanie to be there, waiting for us to return. Of course, it was for a totally different reason.


I couldn't believe that Brian and Kimberly were still up. That's when I was reminded that I had not left anyone the keys to my house. Both Cyn and I got a bit of kidding about taking so long to drive from the stadium to home. We took it well, not giving any indication what transpired between time. What Cyn didn't realize as we were standing in her parents living room, was that I had been distancing myself from her, and towards the front door.

Then I announced, "Be right back!"

With that I was out the door before anyone could react. I even made it to my front door before Cyn had opened their door. She wasn't quiet about it either.

"What are you doing?" She yelled.

I just held one finger up, as though it would just be a minute, and disappeared inside. I shut the door before even turning on the light. Fortunately, I could feel for the light switch. It didn't take any time at all to get what I came for. Turning off the light, I walked out the door to see Cyn still standing on their porch waiting for me.

She knew I was up to something, but wasn't sure what. So she asked.

"What's going on?"

"Inside and I'll tell you," I replied and went in.

John, Teri, Tim, Stephanie and even Brian and Kimberly had their eyes on the two of us.

When we made it to the center of the room, I turned and gave Cyn a big smile.

"Happy Graduation!"

With that I handed her the thick envelope I had retrieved, and had tucked into the back of my pants so she wouldn't see it.

She looked at it, then to me. After turning it over a few times, realizing that it was plain and gave no indication of what was inside, she opened it.

I loved watching her expression as recognition took place.

"What is it?" Teri couldn't help but ask.

That broke Cyn's trance and she looked up at me with big eyes, then over to her mother, and just screamed.

I started laughing, Tim and Stephanie followed. Teri acted frantic, wanting to find out what caused this reaction. Finally getting hold of the papers Cyn was holding, Teri quickly looked them over.

Her eyes were as big as Cyn's, when she turned to look at me.

"A cruise?"

"What am I going to wear!" was the first intelligible thing that came out of Cyn's mouth, and then she ran upstairs.

As soon as she was out of sight, we all started laughing.

When we settled down, Teri started with the questions. There were five, all in a row. I didn't need to listen to them, as I already knew what she would ask. When Teri stopped and expected me to answer, she realized I wasn't paying attention to her. I was looking at the stairway. Slowly coming back down, was a slightly embarrassed Cyn.

"Now that she's back down, I'll answer all the questions." I said.

Before I could start, Cyn asked, "I didn't even see. When is it?"

"Ten days from now."

"Ten!" Cyn cried.

"Ten?" Teri echoed, then added, "Don't you need a passport now?"

"Yeah, I need a passport," Cyn demanded.

"Do you remember one of the places I took you on your birthday?" I said to Cyn.

She furrowed her brow as she thought, then a startled look crossed her face.

"We ... you..." she stammered. Then a determined looked formed as she said, "You were pretty sneaky."

"Do I take that as the application has already been sent?" Teri asked.

I replied, "Yes, it should be here early next week. Now, as to why it's only ten days from now..."

"Yeah, why is that? I don't have time to plan anything!" Cyn emoted.

I turned to face her, and taking her hands in mine, I looked into her eyes, as I said, "This cruise is for you and me. Brian and Kimberly aren't going."

That bit of reality startled her. Then as it sunk in, she asked the obvious.

"Who's taking care of them?"

"That is why the timing. Stephanie will be picking them up in the morning, and taking them to the day care at work. That will give them the consistency they will need. Tim will be with them the rest of the time. It worked well for their schedules."

"For seven days?" Teri asked.

John, who had been unusually quiet, said to his son, "When your girlfriend comes over, you will bring the kids over here. Understand?"

"Yes, Dad. Brad and I already talked about that."

"You did?" all three females asked to both Tim and I.

The look on the Teri, Cyn, and Stephanie's faces when they asked that, was just too funny. They probably wouldn't have thought so. So it was a good thing that John started laughing first, then Tim and I could join in.

Still holding my hands, Cyn gave them a squeeze. I knew what she wanted, but she had no idea the ramifications.

"I've found that taking care of my children ... while your girlfriend is there, can ... well, sort of..."

"Brad!" Cyn stuttered as she turned red.

Stephanie snorted. Teri and John looked at each other and shook their heads. Tim just rolled his eyes. We were saved from any comments by a knock on the door. Cyn ran off to get it.

Beck came in the door. She and Cyn hugged, then Cyn pulled her into the center of the living room where we were, and all the while, Beck was saying, "A cruise? A cruise. A cruise!"

They then held hands and bounced up and down. I noticed Stephanie rolling her eyes. She saw me and with her eyes pointed Tim and John out to me. They had their mouths hanging open. Ok, they were appreciating Beck's young body bouncing. It least I think it was only Beck ... I could appreciate both of them and get away with it ... almost.

Beck stopped and looked over at me, with a grin on her face. Then she saw Stephanie and the smile disappeared. Walking over to her, Beck looked Stephanie in the eye.

"I was one of many who cried for you. I can't even imagine what it was like. Not sure my worst nightmare comes close. One thing that Cyn got wrong, is that after we knew, after it was told, we became partners in your pain. I don't have a clue as to the right words to say, but if you need someone to talk to, be with, whatever ... there are a group of us. All of Cyn's friends. We're there for you."

Then Beck pulled the rather shocked Stephanie into a hug.

Almost as though an emotional train can be thrown to another track, Beck then grabbed Cyn's hand. She said, "How many days? Formal nights? My parents went on one and my dad got a tux. Where are you going anyway?"

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.