A Critical Path - Cover

A Critical Path

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 33

After a blissful night and a late and cosy breakfast Sally and Nick hit the road again.

"I really must get on with these driving lessons," remarked Sally. "I could then help you out on long flogs like this."

"It would have been a flog if we'd driven the whole way last night but it's only a couple of hours plus now and if you'd shared the driving we'd never have had last night."

Sally's hand caressed the nape of his neck and she leant her cheek momentarily against his shoulder.

"No," she murmured. "I'm so glad we did. It was special: just the two of us after all yesterday's excitement and before we have to share ourselves again with everyone else."

Nick nodded. "It was ... very special. Our real honeymoon ought to be fun, shouldn't it?"

"Mm!" Sally withdrew her hand from his neck and fished around in her handbag for a tissue. She blew her nose. "Great fun and very, very special."

They were silent for a while after that but it was a contented silence.

They reached home shortly after half past twelve and were welcomed warmly and lovingly by their parents.

"I'm still in charge," said Nigel, "so out in the garden with you all and I'll bring you all a drink."

"Mum! You're only using one stick!"

Ellie grinned at her raising the stick. "And I can give you a whack with it," she replied.

"Well done, Mum!" Sally hugged her delightedly.

"Very well done," added Nick kissing her cheek, "but don't overdo things, Ellie love."

Ellie smiled up at him. "No, sir," she said. She saluted with her left hand.

"So," said Geraldine as they all sat down. "Was it fun? How was the concert?"

"Brilliant!" exclaimed Sally. "I've always loved the Harp Quartet and they played it exquisitely. As for the Triple Concerto, I'd never heard it before but I fell in love with it. Between us we've got CDs of them both. I can hardly wait to play both of them again."

"Where did you go for dinner?"

"The Savoy."

"Whoosh! That's pretty smart. What a wonderful wedding present!"

"Very," said Nick. "We were both very touched by their kindness and generosity. It was a very special evening."

Sally nodded vigorously in agreement.

Nigel arrived with the drinks and handed them round.

"So how did the Board Meeting go?" he asked. "A clap on the back or a clip on the ear?"

"A pat on the back," smiled Nick.

Sally looked at him expectantly and then realised that he was actually shy of saying any more.

"He was invited to join the Board," she said proudly.

There was a silence as it sank in then Geraldine leapt to her feet. "Oh, Nick!" she cried. "Well done!" She enveloped him in a hug, pulled back and then kissed him soundly before hugging him again.

"Quite a pat on the back," observed Nigel smiling from ear to ear. "Well done, my boy! Very, very well done! Congratulations!"

"Does that mean I have to curtsey?" asked Ellie but it was clear that she was thrilled for him too.

Nick stuck his tongue out at her and she pealed with laughter.

Sally dashed away and returned with a cardboard cylinder which she handed to Geraldine.

Geraldine looked questioningly at her and then carefully pulled out the contents. She unrolled the parchment, gasped and started to read. Nigel went round and read over her shoulder. Nick looked down at his feet. Sally stood beside him with her arm round his shoulder looking as though she would burst with pride.

Geraldine looked up at Nick her eyes brimming with tears and quite unable to speak. Nigel could only look at him with unashamed pride.

"What is it?" demanded Ellie.

"An award from the Royal Humane Society for saving my life."

"Oh my!"

Geraldine falteringly read it out.

"Oh my!" said Ellie again. She reached for Nick's hand and squeezed it. "Thank you, Nick, from the bottom of my heart."

It took a while for conversation to pick up again. Geraldine stood up.

"I'd better go and do something about lunch," she said.

"I'll give you a hand," offered Sally.

"No you won't," replied Geraldine fiercely. "You stay with your man."

She came over and gave Nick another kiss. "I'm so proud of you," she whispered and fled before emotion overcame her again.

Ellie struggled to her feet. She too kissed Nick. "My Sally's a very lucky girl," she said gently. She looked at Sally. "And don't you forget it, young woman," she added sternly as she followed Geraldine.

Sally shook her head and squeezed Nick's shoulder.

"Did you hear the lunchtime Test score, Dad?" asked Nick anxious to get the conversation away from him.

"Blooming cricket," grinned Sally.

"Very important, Mrs Braithwaite," retorted Nigel. "No, Nick, I'm ashamed to say. I'll go and find out."

"Three more people who are very proud of you," said Sally moving to Nick's knee and winding her arms round his neck. She kissed his cheek.

"It's all a bit embarrassing though, Puss."

"And will be for a few days but things'll soon get back to normal."

"I suppose I've got to tell everyone at the office about the directorship."

"Yes, my sweet, shy man. Managers' on Monday. And if you don't I will."

"Yes, ma'am."

Sally giggled and kissed his nose.

"That's what I like to hear, a bit of respect."

Nick blew her a raspberry and they both laughed.

"Come on, you clinging vines," ordered Geraldine from the French window. "Lunch."

Nick was relieved that conversation reverted to normal during lunch. It was decided, subject to Dr Surridge's agreement, that Ellie would move into her cottage three weeks on Saturday. It would have become vacant three days earlier. Nobody doubted that Dr Surridge would agree. Ellie's physiotherapist was very pleased with her progress and impressed by her determination and courage despite some of the exercises being a bit painful at first.

"You can go back to work again too, Sally," said Ellie. "I can manage the shower and everything on my own now and I can easily get myself a bit of lunch."

Sally looked enquiringly at Geraldine. "I haven't lifted a finger," said the latter. "I sat in just in case but she was fine."

"Why don't we leave it till Monday, Mum?"

Ellie shrugged. "What does your boss think?" she asked with a grin.

"He thinks it's a good idea," said Nick.

"Oh well, that's all right then."

"Are sons-in-law allowed to spank cheeky mothers-in-law?" asked Nick.

Ellie's eyes twinkled. "Only with their wives' permission."

"Stop flirting, Mum!"

"Me? As if I ever would: 'specially in front of my son-in-law's parents."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.