A Critical Path - Cover

A Critical Path

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 29

Nick and Sally's Saturday morning lie in was just over and they were preparing breakfast when the telephone rang. Nick answered it.

"Good morning, sir. Detective Sergeant Crawshaw."

"Good morning, Sergeant Crawshaw. It's good to hear you again but, even though it's Saturday morning, I imagine you're ringing on business."

"I am, sir. We've arrested Gerry Gardner. We've obtained statements from his wife and their next door neighbour but we need one from you and Miss Gardner."

"Yes of course. I'm delighted you've picked him up. How would you like to do it? We were planning to come in at about eleven thirty, do some shopping and have a bite to eat before going to the hospital. We could come in half an hour earlier or shortly after four."

"There's no rush, sir. Why not pop in when you've finished at the hospital? It shouldn't take more than a few minutes."

"OK, we'll do that. Can we park round the back of the station?"

"Yes, sir. There are visitors' spaces which are clearly marked."

"Fine. We'll be there about quarter past."

"Thank you, sir."

Both Nick and Sally were delighted to hear that Nell had given a statement. That in Sally's estimation was a major success. They were also thrilled that Gerry had been locked up, at least for the time being.

Their visit to the hospital was uneventful. Ellie still looked terrible but she was bright and cheerful. Nick sat quietly most of the time as mother and daughter nattered away. At one stage he excused himself and went and talked to sister who said that everything was proceeding normally and that they were particularly pleased with the speed that Ellie had recovered from the trauma. She confirmed that a brain scan had revealed nothing abnormal. She added that they would be doing tests on Ellie's back on Tuesday.

Nick and Sally were greeted at the police station by Sergeant Crawshaw and gave their statements. Nick's was very short. Sally said much the same but added that her father had a history of domestic violence directed at both her and her mother.

Over a mug of tea at home they discussed how Ellie coming to stay in ten or so days' time was going to affect them. Nick insisted that Sally took leave to look after her until she was capable of doing so herself.

"What about the Kirkwoods? They won't be able to stay," observed Sally.

"No. We'll book them into a hotel in Liverpool and put Charlie at their disposal."

"But I was going to keep Mrs Kirkwood occupied and drinks and dinner and so on."

"I could ask Melanie to look after her during the day. We could still have a buffet supper here with the Damsels doing it. If your mother can join us in a wheelchair so much the better."

"I'm not sure she'd want to. I think she'd be out of her depth."

"Maybe. It'll be entirely up to her."

"OK. Let's go for it."

Nick had an outline plan in his head for the Kirkwood visit but on Monday morning he started on the detail. The first thing he did was to ring Trevor Kirkwood to make sure that he was happy with the outline.

"My original plans have been thrown out of line slightly," he said, "in that we shall have Sally's mother, having just been released from hospital, staying with us and Sally will have to look after her. I had hoped that Sally would show your wife round Liverpool and that, with their shared musical interests, your wife might get a bash at both cathedral organs as well as the LPO one. We might still be able to wangle that but as Sally won't be available I plan to ask Melanie Stubbs to be your wife's escort."

"That sounds fine to me, Nick, but I'm concerned to hear about Sally's mother. Why couldn't she be cared for at home?"

Nick took a deep breath and thought quickly. He opted for the truth. "Her husband beat her up and seriously injured her back. The only place she can come to to recover is us."

"I'm sorry to hear that. Would you like to postpone the visit?"

"No, sir. It would cause huge disappointment and I'd be messing up our clients' arrangements."

There was a moment of silence as Trevor Kirkwood's mind raced. Nick was right and he was full of admiration for him that he had not put his personal difficulties first.

"So, what's the plan?"

"I'd like you to travel up here on Wednesday afternoon as planned but we're going to have to put you up in a hotel rather than at home as I'd hoped."

"Don't give it a second thought, Nick. Go on."

"I thought you'd probably both like to relax that evening after the journey."

"Good thinking."

"Thursday you and I would tour the various jobs and you would be able to meet our clients while your wife would have a sight seeing tour. Buffet supper at our house that evening with my managers and their wives like last time. Then an office tour on Friday morning. We could have a pub lunch or you could both set off south straight away."

"Three things come out of that, Nick. First and most important the buffet supper is going to be a hell of a strain on you both with Sally's mother to look after."

"No, sir. The Damsels who did the catering last time you were up will cope with that. Sally won't have to lift a finger. She wants to see you again and to meet your wife."

"OK. Thank you both. The second thing is that it might help you out if we came by car rather than train or flying. Then you and I could use my car on Thursday morning while the girls use yours."

"That would be a great help, sir. Thank you."

"Finally, will Sally's mother be mobile?"

"In a wheel chair."

How far is your village pub from where you live?"

"A couple of hundred yards."

"In that case, I suggest we all four and your mother in law to be have lunch at your pub on Friday."

"That's a great idea, sir. Thank you. Sally will be thrilled. What would your wife like to do in the morning?"

"Probably nothing at all but we'll play that by ear."

"Fine. Well, I'll get on with the detailed planning. I'll send you a timetable later this week and we'll all look forward to seeing you. Oh! One thing, I don't know your wife's name although I could easily find out."

Trevor Kirkwood chuckled. "A fat lot of help that would be. Her real name, which is what the company files show, is Florence, which only her parents liked. She's known now to everyone as Merry."

"What an attractive name!"

"Thank you, Nick. I think you'll find it suits her too."

"I'm sure. Well, we all look forward to seeing you both."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.