Life Is Not Fair - Cover

Life Is Not Fair

Copyright© 2010 by brightstar

Chapter 14A: Live in the Moment!!!

When we reached the Parkers' house, everyone was around, having come back from wherever it was that they went to. I'm certain that you could pass a log of wood through Jake's mouth the way his mouth hung open when we walked in holding hands and making goggle eyes at each other.

We stopped to see the expression of surprise on their faces and it was almost inevitable that we laughed at the whole situation. It was only us that were laughing because the others were looking at us with unlaughing faces.

"Wonders shall never cease," the ever eloquent Jake said. I could see that his exclamation better expressed their feelings.

"Mom, dad, Evans and I have something we'd like to talk to you about," Melissa said when it was obvious that nobody was going to say anything else.

"No shit," Jake cussed which elicited a laugh from his dad and a glare from his mom and Grandmother.

"Look guys, this is hard as it is, so please?" Melissa pleaded. It was enough to bring them out of their daze.

We went to the sitting room and sat down, Melissa and me together as she held my hand and Jake across from us. Its significance wasn't lost on me though. It was always me sitting with Jake or Jake sitting with me; however you want to express it. The point is that I never sat next to Melissa before and now that we were, sitting next to each other that is, and Jake was sitting across from us, I couldn't help but wonder if my friendship with Jake was taking a backburner for my new relationship with Melissa.

Melissa and I looked at each other and it was like I could hear her loud and clear. She was asking me how I wanted to tackle this. By mutual consent, we agreed that she should just continue talking.

"You know that I have always been a careful person," she began while looking at her parents. They nodded. "Well, I've always been attracted to Evans since the first time we met. What I didn't know is that no matter how I fought my feeling for Evans, it was inevitable what we had between us." She looked at her parents as if trying to dredge up the courage to speak to them. I decided to help her out.

"I guess what Melissa's trying to say is that she and I are dating," I announced. To their credit, they never showed overt surprise. "I know I might not be the most obvious choice for dating your daughter," I began before I was interrupted by Gene.

"Evans, not to salt your game, but the fact that you and Melissa are dating is nothing we haven't really had time to anticipate. We've always known that both of you are attracted to each other, so it's not really a surprise to us. And as for us not liking you to date our daughter, that's not a problem because we couldn't imagine anyone else that would be best suited for our daughter. So, don't worry your small head for nothing." Wow, talk about taking the wind off my sails. I have known the Parkers for a very long time, and even though we all are accepting of each other, I didn't know how they stood on the whole idea of my dating their daughter. I'm not ignorant that even though racism is supposedly gone, people still have reservation dealing with people from other race. So I didn't know what to expect from them. I was really happy that they accepted me. I know that it might not have mattered because the person concerned had accepted me but I'm a traditional kinda of guy and familial blessing is always important in a relationship and I wanted to have the blessing of the Parkers.

"We're more surprised that it took you this long to realize how you both feel for each other," Catherine chipped in.

I don't know about Melissa but I was certainly surprised by that remark. I guess the surprise must have been evident on our faces because Grandma Carrie, who had been keeping quiet all this while added, "Don't act so surprised. We have eyes."

I looked at them one after the other as they all nodded. I looked at Jake thinking that maybe he'd contradict them. He shrugged and said, "Don't look at me. You know I'm clueless when it comes to these sorta things." We laughed at his attempt at humor.

Well, whatever doubt we had was dispelled. "Thanks mom, dad, everyone, we really appreciate your being accepting of my relationship with Evans," Melissa said while going to hug her parents. I didn't know how to proceed. Do I hug her parents, or do I just sit there and do nothing? That was certainly strange territory for me and I was undecided on what to do.

It was Grandma Carrie that rescued me. "I bet you don't know how to proceed?" she asked. Did the whole Parker women have the ability to read my thoughts? I could only nod sheepishly. She laughed. "Ohhh, Evans, I've seen you tackle difficult obstacles, but just like every other man, when it comes to matters of the heart, you don't know what to do," she said while hugging.

She knocked my head and I cried out. That got the attention of everyone. "That's for being so dense as not to realize that my grand daughter loves you," she said in that mother hen voice. I nodded, thinking the worst was over.

She knocked me again and I cried out, again. For an old lady, she could knock pretty hard. Everyone was laughing at me now. "And that's for being dense as not to realize that you're attracted to my grand daughter. The way you were looking at her, it reminded of the way my husband used to look at me when we first got married." Then as if it would erase whatever pain she had inflicted on me, she hugged me to that really comfortable bosom of hers. "Welcome to the family." Had it been any other person, I would have been scared of those words, but coming from her, it meant a lot to me. I could only nod.

Catherine came over and hugged me followed by Gene who shook my hand while reminding me that if as much as hurt his daughter that he'd hunt me down to hell and take his revenge. Gene was trying to be the Evil father of the girlfriend, no doubt doing the same thing that was done to him, but a raging Gene was still not that scary. I humored him though. What was I supposed to do?

"This is the part where we hug and I tell you 'welcome to the family'," Jake said when it looked like it was his turn to hug me.

"It sure looks like it," I replied him.

"Do we hug or shake?" he asked.

"Whatever works for you, my brother."

"Well, I'm definitely rooting for a handshake 'cos a hug would be soo ... gayish?"

"Yeah, definitely a handshake," I replied.

We made to shake each others hands but as soon as our hands connected, we found ourselves hugging each other. We detangled from the hug though, because like he said, a hug would be soo gayish?

"Welcome to the family," he awkwardly said.

"Thanks," I replied in the same awkward tone.

I looked beyond Jake and there was the one that had my heart. She looked so beautiful standing there watching her brother and myself do our thing. I smiled at her and she answered with a smile of her own that would brighten even the bleakest day.

Jake followed our goggle eyes and then went over and hugged his sister. That was the first time in two years that I had seen Jake and his sister been anything but subtly hostile towards each other. I guess today was a day for mysterious.

"That took you long enough," Jake admonished his sister.

"Well, long enough for me to work through the fangs that you've already left," she teased back. Have I told you that that was among the things I liked about her, the way she never seemed to back down for anyone?

"Funny, ... which is funny because I didn't think you did funny," he teased back.

"Yeah, and I didn't think you did the whole caring brother thing. What happened to your mojo?"

Jake turned and looked at me in mock surprise. "Did she just say mojo? Dude, I think she just said mojo!" he exclaimed. Then turning to his sister, he asked," What have you done to my sister?"

Melissa got serious. "I guess this has been a weird day. I love you though, brother mine," she said while hugging her brother.

I was touched by their loving expression towards each other. That was a first but I guess there is always a first time for everything.

I turned and left them. I somehow knew that they needed their privacy. I was glad that they were becoming more loving towards each other. That was my best friend and his sister, my girlfriend if I dare say. I didn't want there to be any conflict between them that would warrant my choosing any side because I couldn't for the life of me see how any choice I made would not hurt one party.

I went out back, where the pool was. I looked around me at the Parker mansion. I sighed. This house meant a lot to me, it still does. This was the place where I felt truly accepted, not by virtue of family or obligation but for who I was, am; for friendship. Sure the Ferguson's had accepted us, but it was here that I truly felt accepted. I remembered the days that I spent here, the fun, the teasing, the growing up, and maturation. I had definitely come full circle.

Then this place was taking a whole new meaning for me. This was my girlfriend's house as it was my best friend's house. I remembered those days that Melissa and I spent ignoring each other, the way we went out of our way to avoid each other, or I did. It sounded so surreal that I would become her boyfriend. So surreal, so contrived.

I was still in my lala land when I felt a hand wrap around my waist. I smiled at myself as I soaked up the feeling of being in love.

"What are you thinking about?" she asked in a breathless voice.

Still facing the pool, looking at its content which reminded me of one of the things I loved about the angel that was wrapped around my waist. What, these days, doesn't remind me of Melissa? What do I not love about her?

"About life," I ventured.

"Ohhh, that's heavy," she replied.

"Not really," I said while turning to her. It was funny because Melissa was a good three inches or more taller than me. Have I mentioned that I haven't got my growth spurt yet? "I think that when I evaluate my life, all that I have lost, all that I have gained, the growing up in between, I have a pretty good reason to say that life's has been better."

I looked up at her as I took her chin in my hand. "But that's before you came along. Now, adding you to my life, being in it, has made life more than beautiful," I told her.

Her eyes misted as she brought her head down. And we kissed, again. Even after all these years, I never fail to wonder how it was possible that the passion we felt whenever we kissed could surpass everything we'd ever felt before. It never ceased to amaze me when I realize that if there was anything Melissa and I knew how to do, it was the kiss that made our relationship unique, like I could go to the space each time our lips touched.

We were panting like we'd run a marathon when our lips came apart. "Wow," I said to her still flabbergasted by the intensity of our kiss.

"Yeah, you could say that again," she replied while still molded close to me.

We were lucky that we didn't have spectators this time around because I didn't think I was ready for that yet.

I stayed with the Parkers for lunch and there was no awkwardness contrary to my expectations. It was like the countless times I ate lunch or dinner at the Parker mansion. Jake was still his usual funny self, Grandma Carrie was giving Jake back as good as she got, Gene was trying to laugh his heart out, Catherine was trying to be the voice of reason, which unfortunately wasn't what was needed at the time, and Melissa was quietly picking her lunch, contributing whenever she could. It was just like every other meal we had had at the Parker mansion.

I stayed some more being with Melissa and Jake as we played the latest Jake acquisition; a PlayStation. I hadn't yet mastered the whole control aspect of the game, coupled with the way my hands were slow in giving my side commands. But, for all the games I'd played at Jake's, PlayStation was the best for me. And to add to the whole feeling, Melissa was beside me, cheering me on and kissing me whenever I did something better, although one might argue that she was biased as she had no way of knowing which move was great and all. But it was the thought that counted.

The fact that she was there with us as we did our thing wasn't lost to me. Melissa never showed interest in any games that Jake and I played. So, for her to be there with us as we goofed away was her own way of telling me that she loved every aspect of me and she accepted that Jake was my best friend. She even played a set but if her performance was anything to go by, she was better at the cheering part. Once again, it was the thoughts that counted.

I left the Parker mansion close to the evening with a toe-curling kiss by Melissa. Suddenly, I didn't want to be away from her anymore. I wanted to spend every waking moments with her. Ohh, Young love! The way we feel things at the exclusion of all other feelings. I knew that I wasn't alone in what I was feeling. I knew that as much as I wanted to spend more time with her, she needed it more. It was humbling that this amazing young woman wanted me like this, desired me even. I could only hope that she'd feel the same way the next day. Even as that thought crossed my mind, I knew beyond any shred of doubt that she would still want me for the next century.

When I came home, the Ferguson's were still around. I greeted them and left for my room. I hadn't been in my room for five minutes when Bethany knocked and came into my room. One look at the trepidation on her face and I knew what was bothering her and I didn't want her to be bothered by it anymore. So, I decided to speak before she did.

"If you're here to apologize over what happened in the morning, then there's no need to because I don't hold it over you," I said to her.

She came to where I sat on the bed, "I still am sorry for being so callous. I guess I'd have to watch my mouth more often," she apologized.

"No shit," I laughed. It served its purpose for she slugged me. "Ouch, what you do that for now?" I whined even as I made a mental note to start wearing padded clothes.

"Don't ever make fun of me when I'm trying to apologize to you. You know I don't like it," she snapped. It was true, Bethany hardly apologized to anyone.

"Sorry, but I was just trying to let you know that whatever happened in the morning was nothing. At least it was blessing in disguise." Immediately I said that, I knew that it was the wrong thing to say because her whole body perked up at that statement.

"What happened?" she excited asked sensing with her already developed female intuition that something exciting had happened to me.

I decided to play with her. "What do you mean what happened?" I asked in feigned ignorance.

"C'mon Eeej, spill it. Something obviously happened or there wouldn't be that smug smile on your face," she observed.

"Whatever made you think that something happened," I teased her some more. It was the wrong call to make because she slugged me again, harder this time. "Ouch," I cried out. "What you do that for?" I whined. This was getting pretty old, even to me.

"That's for withholding information from me. Now tell!" she commanded. Whenever she got like this, she could be real scary and mean and would do anything to get what she want. I had no other choice.

But I wasn't through with her yet, I was going to shock the pants of her ... Oh, sorry, wrong expression. "Melissa is my girlfriend," I disclosed with a level voice even when every part of me was pushing me to scream it out to the whole world.

I had estimated correctly. I had seen surprised faces but none equaled that of Bethany when I told her that I was dating Melissa. Her mouth hung open as her eyes became as wide as saucers. I couldn't help myself and I started laughing. She wanted to say something but all she could do was open and close her mouth which only escalated my laugh. I was literally rolling on the bed with laughter when she decided that it was better for her to close her mouth.

"Why are you laughing?" she asked obviously in control of her mouth again.

"You should have seen your face, it was so funny looking," I laughed some more.

"Glad I could give you something to laugh at," she said dryly.

"Pleasure's all mine. God!" I exclaimed. "But were you surprised!" "Well forgive me for being so surprised but you weren't exactly subtle." "Which was what I was pulling for all along," I replied.

"But how's that possible?" she asked, interest and curiosity laced with her voice.

"What do you mean by that?" I asked her with raised eyebrows.

"Well, last time I checked, you didn't know what to do about her. Then you tell me that both of you are dating? You'd have to forgive my curiosity." I composed myself. Truth be told, I hadn't expected to get a girlfriend when I left my house that morning. I guess nature has a way of intruding into our lives. So I told her what happened since I left our house that morning. I told her every excruciating detail, because I needed to talk to someone, and I found it hard to believe that it happened.

"Wow," was all she could say after I had finished describing everything to her. "It's amazing. I AM amazed." I nodded. "Yeah, it was an amazing experience and I'm still finding it difficult to believe," I confided in my friend.

"I guess our moms will find it interesting, don'tcha think?" she asked with a glint of mischief in her voice.

I looked at her sharply. "Well, I guess it makes for an interesting tale," I retorted daring her to do her worse. Bad call!

"Well, I better go break the good news to them," she said while getting up and dashing for the door. Before I could even call her back, she was already with our moms no doubt, breaking the story to them.

I sighed. There was no secret in my life as long as I had those three with me. I decided to give her time before going downstairs because I knew that more than anything that they'd find a way to make it embarrassing for me.

I stayed in my room for sometimes, getting increasingly frustrated with each passing second. I couldn't bear to stay in my room and allow Bethany spread whatever tale, however she wanted to spin it. I decided to go downstairs and face it like a man should. So, I got up and went downstairs. As I approached, I could hear their laughter and muffled voice. When I stepped into the kitchen the laughter and everything came to a halt. I stood at the door of our kitchen not knowing how to proceed.

Mom must have seen my indecision because she came over where I stood and hugged me tight. "Congratulations honey, I always knew that you'd find love and happiness. I'm happy for you," she gushed while still hugging me.

"Thanks mom, it means a lot to me getting your approval," I replied, suddenly feeling relieved that she'd accepted my relationship with Melissa.

As soon as mom released me from our hug, Beth was there to hug me as well. I was enjoying all the hugs I was receiving because I'm a red-blooded male responding to external stimuli. "I'm happy for you, Eeej. I really am," she said with a tear filled eyes.

I hugged her again, trying to increase the contact we had. "Thank you," I said while stroking her back.

"I guess you couldn't wait for me anymore, huh," she teased while giving me a sultry look.

I squirmed. "It's not that. I'd still want you even if I get to be hundred," I sincerely told her. I didn't know what I was thinking saying that the way I did but all I know even as I write this story is that I meant every word I said to her. I wanted her then just as I want her now and just like I wanted her when I first met her even when I couldn't explain what I was feeling at that time. I had kissed her once since that day she came into my room after receiving the letter and flower I sent her. Since then it'd always been all tease between us that I'd whisk her away when I turned eighteen. I guess it wasn't to be because as much as I wanted her, I needed Melissa more.

"Flattery will get you anywhere, my knight in shining amour." "As long as it's with you, I don't mind." Where was this me coming from? This me that was using sexual innuendos like it was something I did everyday.

I guess she too was surprised because she concluded, "You're different." "Tell me about it," I wryly replied. The family had some question to ask me though. You'd have thought that they'd be satisfied with all that Bethany told them but I guess that's the way women are wired.

That night, after the Ferguson's had left and we'd prepared for bed, mom came into my room. "What's the problem ma," I asked her in confusion. She never came into my room this way except something was wrong and I couldn't think of any thing that could possibly be wrong.

"Nothing's wrong hon, I just want to talk to you about something," she calmly informed me as she sat on the edge of my bed.

I got up from where I lay on the bed and sat beside her. "Okay," I replied tentatively.

"I don't know how to start," she began which got me more confused. "I just want to talk to you about what being in a relationship entails." She paused to look at me, gauging my reaction. "I met your father when I was in my final year of my university education," mom started which got my interest. I'm always interested whenever there was a story about my father. "He was young and handsome and successful. The first time I saw him, I knew that he was the one I would spend my life with. We had this amazing connection, like the one you have with Melissa. We started dating immediately. If there ever was something I love about your father, it was the way he always went after what he wanted. He was that driven. Of course, I wasn't that hard a prey because I was mighty interested," she chuckled at the last part. Looking at mom tell me that story, I knew that she wasn't in that room again with me. She was reliving those memories.

"But we had everything working against us. Like you and Melissa, we were from different tribes. I was from a wealthy family in the west, while he was from a second class family in the east. Though he'd made a life for himself, a very comfortable one, my family wouldn't give him audience when he came to ask for my hand in marriage. That I loved him was of little consequence to my family. I was faced with the option of choosing between the man I loved and my family." "In the end, I couldn't do it. I couldn't live a single day of my life knowing that he wouldn't be in it. So, I chose love. My family promised fire and brimstone on me and Robert but we were adamant, and in love. In the end, my father disinherited me, saying that no daughter of his would taint the family name." She shuddered from the memories playing in her head.

"It wasn't easy at all, Eeej, it honestly wasn't easy especially in the first few months that my father disowned me. I had always wanted a wedding filled with family members. I'd always dreamt of my father walking me down the aisle but it wasn't to be, all because I fell in love. I blamed your father for that because I knew that I'd never see the realization of my dreams. Then your father did the only thing he could have done given the situation. He walked away from me, right before me, telling me that he was giving me a chance to have my dreams again." She looked at me before saying the next part. "Don't ever walk away from a woman, Evans, especially one that loves you. It's the most gut-wrenching and heartless thing to do." I could only nod my acquiescence.

"But his leaving me worked for the best. I realized that I was looking at it the wrong way. I wanted to be walked down the aisle by my father, I wanted to have my whole family members around me when I get married, but most importantly, I wanted to have my dream wedding with your father and ONLY him. Suddenly when I realized that, having my dream wedding didn't seem all that important as long as I got to be with your father. So, I went back to him but he wouldn't take me back. I persisted until he saw that I truly wanted him back, family be damned. Ehh, sorry for the language," she apologized. I waved her off.

"We got married without my family members attending. We settled down and when I had my masters, we started trying to have kids. Then I got lucky with you. And the rest, they say is history," she wound up. I was still reeling from the story I'd heard. I'd known that mom wasn't from the Ibo tribe as was my father, though she could speak it fluently. She was a Yoruba by birth. I now knew why there was never any grand parent from my mother's side. I also came to realize the sacrifices that mom made for me, although not directly but for love. I realized also that she was stronger than I ever gave her credit for because it isn't everybody that could give up what she gave up just for a feeling that was inside her head. I might not have understood before why she did what she did, why she gave up her family because she felt something for my father, but I did then because I had experienced love. I have felt it and seen that a life without it was just plain miserable.

I realized also that mom was speaking to me, not as a child but as an equal who was experiencing the same thing that she had experienced before. I did realize again that I had come this close to not having mom as my mother. What if dad had remained adamant as was in his nature and not married her? What if mom had chosen her family over love? What if? What if? And what if? I had so many what if questions going through my mind but it kept coming down to the fact that I was extremely lucky to have mom as my mother and I decided that I'd show her that her sacrifice wasn't in vain even if it was the last thing I did on earth.

I hugged my mother tight, not wanting to let her go, not then, not now, not ever. "Thanks mom for being the one that gave birth to me. I'm really lucky that it was you that is my mom" I gushed still hugging her tight.

"It's okay hon. I'm the lucky one to have you," she disclosed.

"Do you regret it?" I asked her from no where. "I mean do you regret choosing dad knowing now that you'd never grow old together?" Mom looked at me with all the love that she could muster in her heart before replying, "Even if I spent a year with you father, or a day, I'd never regret it because he gave you to me. You're my world now. Before, a life without your father would have seemed unimaginable but now, I can't even think of a life without you in it. I don't know what I'd do if I lost you," she replied me in her most sincere voice. Had mom been any other woman looking at me like that, saying those things to me, I'd have kissed her. But she was my mother and as much as I wanted to show her how much what she said meant to me, I knew that I couldn't, wouldn't. But I had no doubt that she knew how I felt at that moment.

"Thanks mom," I appreciated.

"You're welcome. Anyway," she began. "I wanted you to know that being in a relationship; especially a loving relationship isn't all fun. You'd have to make sacrifices and certain compromises. You'd have to know that she comes first in your life. Women like to feel like they are the centre of your world. I don't have to remind you that there are repercussions to every action you take. It's all about responsibility, dear. Understand that, and both of you will be at peace with each other." I realized that this was mom's version of the birds and bees talk most people have been referring to. As my father died when I was young, I didn't get to have the talk with him. I'd been around when Gene talked about the same issue with Jake when we were caught with a very naughty magazine which we shouldn't have in the first place. God! Don't remind me of that day. I was embarrassed like I'd never been before that I prayed for the ground to open and eat me up. Of course, the ground never answers when you make that kind of call.

"I understand ma," I replied her when she looked at me expectantly.

She nodded; obviously satisfied with the reply I gave her. "Alright. That's easy enough. I thought I'd have to break your head and write it into your brains," she joked.

"Well, it's still not late," I countered. We both laughed at that. It was great to be this relaxed with mom.

"Okay then, I'll leave you to sleep," she said when we stopped laughing. She kissed me good night and left. And I was suddenly alone. I lay down on my bed and thought about all that she'd say. I was lucky and happy that we had the discussion. While what she said wasn't news to me, it was relaxing knowing that I was on the right track. With a smile, I went to bed thinking that it had been a most interesting day.


I woke up Sunday morning feeling on top of the world, although I woke up very late. I guess the excitement of the last few days had caught up with me. But it wasn't waking up that had me feeling good; it was how I woke up.

I was having a pretty amazing dream that I don't remember but I knew involved Melissa. When I opened my eyes, I was looking into the most beautiful face I'd ever seen till then. Melissa was looking at me with a smile that was already brightening my day. I closed my eyes and opened them to make sure that I wasn't hallucinating but she was still there watching me sleep and wake with a dazzling smile on her face. I smiled back at her.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.