Life Is Not Fair - Cover

Life Is Not Fair

Copyright© 2010 by brightstar

Chapter 13: A New Day Has Come!

[Author's note:

Someone sent me a feedback that LINF is not a story that should be posted on SoL, that it is a sad story. I hadn't wanted to reply the mail, but I think that maybe, I should clear the person on why I am posting this story here.

I do know that LINF isn't the typical story that one sees in SoL and I do have my reasons for posting it here. LINF was intended to be a true life story, about life, love, friendship, family and support. But most importantly, it was intended to give me comfort in the knowledge that someone understands what my life is like, has been like.

Life is certainly not fair and there is no escaping the harsh realities of life. That is why when I saw the name of SoL, StoriesonLine, I knew that I wanted to post this story here so that it could help me work through life. If you've never known sorrow or pain or suffering, you might never understand what I am talking about. The feelings that go through the head. You know that expression that misery loves company? It's true in every sense of the words. People in pain want to know that someone out there understands their plight and condition. This is the reason I post my stories here. It isn't like I can't write a happily ever after story, but everyone knows that there's no happily ever after. Why then can't I give these people succor with my stories? Why can't I let them know that someone does understand that our sorrows give the world peace, that our pains brings happiness to the world and that our sadness brings joy to the rest of the world?

I say it again, that this story isn't for everyone who can't understand the true message in my words; people who can't understand what I'd give for a second of peace, a lifetime of happiness and an eternity of love. These are the people for whom I write this story. And I thank SoL immensely for giving me the avenue. Happy reading!]

I gathered my thoughts, trying to come to terms with all that had happened and where I still was. I looked up to the person holding me, providing anchor for the uncharted waters that was my life, being the strong one for me, the consoler that I so desperately needed and telling me that it would be okay, even when I knew that it wouldn't, it wasn't who I was expecting. To be truthful, I wasn't expecting anyone, but I certainly wasn't expecting to be looking into the deepest bluest pair of eyes that I'd ever seen. I didn't expect to be looking into the eyes of Melissa Anne Parker.

Have you ever seen a ghost? Not really a mean I want to hurt you kind of ghost but just a ghost of someone you know shouldn't be around yet still wanders this world. What would your reaction be? Looking at Melissa as she sat there with me, holding me to her side, I didn't know what I really felt. Relief, happiness, confusion? All these didn't even begin to cover what I felt; how I felt.

"How?" It was the only thing I could think of, the only thing my traitor of a mouth could think of coming up with. I asked a lot of question with that single worded question. How did you find me? How did you know that I was here? How did you know what I needed? How is it possible that of all the people that could have ever found me, you're the only person that did? And how did you know the right time to come to me? Like I said, I asked a lot of questions.

I had no doubt that she understood me because her statement made it so. "Does it matter?" she asked. That had been the weirdest thing of all. I may have trouble explaining myself to any other person, even my best buddy Jake, but never to Melissa. Somehow, she always knew what I meant; like she was inside of my head.

"How?" I repeated wanting to know how she did it, no, needed to know.

"I knew where you'd be somehow. It was like I had this pushing thought that you were going to be here," she said to me. Then she took my chin in her hand, making sure that I was staring into her ocean blue eyes. "Whatever made me find you, however I found you doesn't matter. All that matters is that I found you," she said to me in the most serious, sincere voice that I'd ever heard.

I was lost in her eyes. It was like staring at the ocean, mesmerized by its magnificence, entranced by its glory. Yes, the ocean does have a glory and that glory was reflected in the pair of eyes that was looking back at me with something I'd never felt before and I couldn't identify.

Then I remembered where I was and what I was supposed to be doing. Before I could ask of my mother, if she was out of surgery, she replied, "Yes, she's out of surgery and that's why we were looking for you. Everyone's here, waiting to see her." I was definitely weirded out.

"Then let's go see my mom," I said clearing my head of the confusing thoughts I was having. We stood up and straightened our clothing. Then we started walking towards the exit of the chapel to go see my mom. That she took my hand in hers wasn't really something that was strange.

We arrived at the hospital's waiting room and true to her words, everyone was waiting there; Beth, Bethany and the whole Parker clan. I think they were surprised that I came back with Melissa with what I was sure was a red eye from all the crying. They were more surprised that we held hands.

After hugging the group of gathered women and shaking the men, I asked how my mom was doing. I learnt that she was out of surgery barely some thirty minutes ago and there had not been any news only that she was sedated and the surgery had been successful.

We sat there for the remainder of the day talking about mundane things. I couldn't get the enthusiasm to talk about anything when mom's situation was definitely undecided. Call me paranoid but I didn't have any other parent. Melissa was by my side, as was Jake and Bethany all talking about school although Melissa barely contributed to the conversation as did I.

We went out for dinner although Gene and Beth had to make a pretty strong argument before I was able to leave but not before more or less commanding the nurse to not hesitate in calling us if anything went wrong.

I don't remember what I had that night or what it tasted like, if it had any taste at all. I was engrossed in my own thoughts. I had mom to worry about. Would she be finally rid of cancer or would there still be some in her body hiding somewhere. And what the heck had happened at the chapel? One minute I was worrying about mom, the next minute it was like the life was being snuffed out from me. Then there was the peace and lightheadedness and Melissa and mom and Melissa and mom. My thoughts were all jumbled up but I knew that it was dominated mainly by Melissa and mom in that order.

What was I to do about Melissa? She'd made her feelings known to me, baring all of her heart to me. She'd said I was her ideal man. What did that even mean? How did I even feel about her? Could I be true and pursue what my heart was telling to pursue? Would I be strong to take the leap with her? I was confused and I realized that this was not the time to think about anything at all.

When we returned to the hospital, there had been no change in mom's condition. We sat and waited some more, but it was evident that mom wasn't going to wake up anytime soon.

Beth and the Parkers wanted to leave with me thinking I should spend the night in any of their homes. I was adamant though. There was no way I was going to leave my mom here. I didn't think that I could even rest or sleep properly knowing that mom's life hung in the balance. So, I was adamant that I was going to stay. They gave up.

They were preparing to leave when I took Melissa aside. "Thank you for finding me back there. Thanks for being my friend," I said sincerely to her while hugging her. The hug felt nice and energizing.

"It's okay. I have no doubt that you'd have done the same for me." "Yeah, all the same, I just want to thank you," I repeated. She nodded. "And I hope that when this is over we could be friends at least," I implored telling her that my mind was not yet made up.

"I'd like that," she replied looking into my eyes. She hugged me a final time and we returned to where everyone else was trying to not make it obvious that they'd been staring.

Bethany wasn't that subtle though. Immediately Melissa left to be with her parents, she took my arm forcefully and dragged me to one side. "What was that about?" she asked me.

"What was what about?" I feigned ignorance. She struck me in the head. "Ouch!" I cried out. "What you do that for?" I whined.

"That's for withholding information from me," she said in a hen mother voice. "So what was that? You being sweet on little miss Princess?" she repeated.

"Don't call her that," I defended.

"Well start talking," she prodded.

I sighed. How was I to explain it to my friend when I didn't even understand it myself? "I don't know, really," I added when I saw Bethany scowl. "She, she found me," I concluded as if it made the perfect sense in the world.

It seemed that it made sense to her because she nodded. "Just be careful," she warned.

I rolled my eyes. "When have I ever not been?" "I mean it, okay? It'd hurt me if your heart is played with," she said in a strange voice. I guess today has been a day of strangeness.

Stepping up to her and hugging her, I said to her ear, "I will." She hugged me tight which did well to my body as those nice beauties shook hand with my body. I AM A PERVERT! Go figure!

"So what will you be doing all alone in a hospital room?" she changed the subject.

"I won't be alone," I corrected.

"Right," she reiterated sarcastically. "Like your mom is going to be any company." "I'll survive." "Am sure of that," she said sarcastically. She brought out her Walkman and handed it to me. "Hopefully, this will keep you company," she explained.

"Thanks," I said to her.

"You'd come up with something to thank me," she laughed. With that we went to where the others were. I talked with Jake some and then hugged everyone, thanking them for coming through for mom and me.

And I was all alone. Gene and Beth had obtained special permission for me to spend the night in my mother's room provided I didn't disturb her. So I sat there all alone in my mother's room yet not really alone because I knew that I had people that cared for me and mom. I looked at Bethany's Walkman and I put it on with the ear buds going to my ears. I wasn't prepared for what I heard.

A new day has ... come I was waiting for so long For a miracle to come Everyone told me to be strong Hold on and don't shed a tear Through the darkness and good times I know I'd make it through And the world thought I had it all But I was waiting for you Hush, love I see the light in the sky Oh, it's almost blinding me I can't believe I've been touched by an angel with love Let the rain come down and wash away my tears Let it fill my soul and drown my fears Let it shatter the walls for a new, new sun A new day has come.

That was the song that sold me to Celine Dion. It was the song that most described everything I felt for that day, for my whole life. Listening to that song, I knew in my heart that the spirits of the night were speaking to me. I knew that my new day has come.

Many a song abounds today. Everyday, you hear of different albums being released by different artistes and musicians. You'd expect that there'd be meaningful songs but truth be told, there are less and less songs that have meanings, songs that could impact someone's life. A New Day Has Come impacted a lot on my life. I don't know what was particularly going through Celine's mind but I knew that whatever it was, my life gave meaning to that song. I felt like my new day has finally come.

That one finished and another couple of her songs came on. Every one of them had something new to teach me, something to make my life more colorful. They say music is the food of the soul. I was definitely fed by the best voice and sound I'd ever heard my whole life. I'd later develop a habit of playing A New Day Has Come track every morning and it never failed to brighten my day.

At least five more songs must have played when another song that changed my life forever came on. If Walls Could Talk started singing. The beat and voice of Celine Dion calmed my racing heart. It gave still to my raging storm that was my life.

I sat on one of those reclining hospital chairs, looking at the ceiling and for a moment, everything around me became heightened; the sounds, smells, everything. Then I wasn't in this world again. I was dimly aware of my surrounding but that was all I was aware of.

And I opened my eyes. I wasn't looking at the ceiling anymore. I wasn't even in the hospital room anymore. I opened my eyes and I saw a vision before me. I saw the angelic face of Melissa smiling at me. I saw that we were swaying to the beat of a song. I listened intently and it was If Walls Could Talk. She was looking into my eyes with something I never saw before in her eyes. Adoration? Love? I couldn't tell which it was or if it was a combination of the two. It was the same look in her eyes earlier that day at the chapel.

There are few women that have ever made me think about my future with them. There are few women that I've ever seen in my future whenever I thought about my future. Bethany was the first person I ever did it with. Then there was Beth. Now there was Melissa. Somehow, a future with Melissa was the most plausible. It was beautiful and sweet and I imagined what it would be like to be married to her, to spend my future with her. I was dimly aware of the smile that spread across my face. I think that was the moment I made my decision, although albeit unconsciously.

It was a very long time that I became aware of my surrounding again. I opened my eyes and the first thing I saw was my mom's eyes, looking at me with something in her eyes. It was almost the same look that Melissa had only that hers was much intense. I rubbed my eyes to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. When I opened them, she was still looking at me with a smiling albeit weak face.

I smiled, got up and went to her bedside. "Hey," I greeted her when I reached her and took her Iv'ed hand.

"Hey," she greeted back. "You look like you've been through hell," she concluded.

I theatrically looked at myself. "I look like I went beyond hell this time," I joked.

That got me a weak laugh. It was good to hear her laugh again even if it was weak. "Well, you shouldn't have been worried about me," she advised.

"Really," I mock exclaimed. "I think it is somewhere in the job description for sons, at least in the one I signed," I wryly said.

The laugh this time was stronger. "What happened to my son? I don't think my Eeej jokes like this." "I don't know about you but I've had enough worries that the only thing left in my head now is joke." "I like this new you," she breathlessly said.

"I'm happy that you're okay. I don't know what I would have done if I'd lost you," I said more seriously.

She squeezed my hand. "It'll take more than cancer to take me away from you," she promised.

I hugged her lying figure, taking care not to open any wound, if she had any. She whispered to my ear, "I love you Eeej, and I'm grateful to whatever force gave you to me everyday because I don't know what I'd have done without you." "I'll always be here for you, ma" "There's no doubt, not ever." All was right in the world. I had my mother, I had my friends, I had my brother and I had my family. Everything was right in the world.

I stayed with mom till the sun rose and daylight came. I must not have been the only worried one because it wasn't even up to six in the morning when Beth and Bethany came looking like they've been through a marathon. I understood perfectly how they felt. I was sure I would have looked more haggard had I been in their shoes. I went to them, hugged them and left the room to find coffee for them and to give them time with mom who was looking stronger by the minute.

I returned with two cups of coffee, I don't know which one. To me coffee is coffee. I found out that the room had been taken up by everyone that we knew. The whole Parker clan was there as well. After another round of hugging, commending me for being such a great son, Jake and I rounded up to talk about what sleeping in a hospital room was like. What he found interesting in that, I can't tell but I humored him and told him detail by detail how the night went especially the Celine Dion's song. He listened to it and begrudgingly admitted that she made little sense. If you don't know Jake, that was the biggest award Celine could win with her song because I have never heard Jake talk good of any pop, Soul or R&B music.

There was no way the doctors were going to discharge mom that Saturday, so we stayed with her. No one talked about breakfast which was good because I never remembered that I was supposed to eat anything. I thanked Bethany for lending me her Walkman and she replied that I was free to borrow it anytime I wanted to.

Around ten that saturday, Beth remembered that I needed to freshen up so I was asked to go home and do exactly that. I rode with the whole Parker clan to my house where they dropped Jake and I. We were told that we had exactly one hour to do whatever we had to do before Catherine would come for us.

Two hours later, we were back at the hospital. As if by concession, mom's doctor came to check up on her. We were told that because of the early stage of mom's cancer, the surgery was able to remove cancerous cells in her body. Whether the cancerous cells would remain removed was something that time would tell.

I spent the day staying at mom's side. Nothing like near death experience to make you appreciate your loved one more. I never took my mother for granted, I'd always appreciated her presence in my life, the sacrifices she made for me and everything that some mothers would probably never do for their children. I'm probably baised but she's the only one I know that had done what she did for me. But that's beside the point. The point is that while I had always been very appreciative of my mother's presence in my life, I now appreciated here more by virtue of the experiences we had undergone together.

I spent that night at the hospital as well. I couldn't bear to leave her side knowing that cancer or whatever it name was was still there lurking in the dark recess of her body whether the doctor had seen it or not. Forgive my paranoia but like I said, it was in my job description to worry about her and imagine the worst possible situation even when they are unfounded.

Sunday was like Saturday only that I didn't spend the night at mom's room. The next day was a school day so I didn't bother putting up any arguments because I knew that I would lose. So I did the manly thing, I left mom with Beth believing against every possible scenerio that my mind made up that she would be alright until I saw here next.

Monday was like every other school day monday especially coming from a very exciting weekend. There was the wishing that school would be postponed when I awoke, then the grudging preparation for school. I love school. I never was one to take education for granted because I have been on the other side of the continuum where eduaction was a great priviledge. So I got to take school more seriously than most of my peers. But, nomatter how I loved school, I couldn't help wishing that particular Monday morning that I didn't have to go to school, that I didn't have to get up from the bed at all.

The only brightening spot to an already bad day was when I saw Jake waiting for me at Home room with a mega-watt smile on his face.

"Dude, I'd have asked how you're feeling but from the look on your face," he shook his head in disapproval. "I'd say that's pretty obvious," he laughed at his own joke which I didn't get.

"Laugh all you want but I wish I were anywhere but here," I grumbled.

He came to where I was and put his arm around my shoulder, drawing me close to himself. "You're not alone, buddy. You're not alone," he said conspiratorily.

I looked at him in mock seriousness. "You having a shitty day?" I asked in a mirthful voice.

"Like you'd never tell, buddy," he replied me.

"Wow, hell must be freezing over," I teased.

"Like I'm not allowed to wish that I never had school today?"

"Yeah, obviously. You like school."

"Ohh, is that right. I thought you're the one that likes school?" he countered.

"Some days are like that."

"Yeah, obviously." he wryly said.

I could have come up with another counter but it wasn't to be. School was about to start.

Jake and I took some courses together; Algebra, American History, English composition and French. Our first period of the day was Algebra. Tell me who in their right minds put Algebra as first period on monday? We did. At the beginning of the semester, we thought that we'd take it during the time that our brains were most rested and nothing beats a rested brain like a monday morning well-rested brain. We'd never had cause to complain but I wished more than anything that we never chose Algebra as our first period course.

Lunch was a better affair because I had my friends. There were Jake and Bethany my usual lunch buddies. Then there was Melissa, our unusual addition. The awkwardness of the previous week was gone and we were all comfortable around each other. Others were mainly comfortable with each other. The sight of Melissa reminded me that I needed to make up my mind and make it up real quick.

Over the weekend, I'd been comfortable to relegate her to the back of my mind. What with all the unusual excitement of the weekend. I was content to dwell in the wish that I didn't have to make any decision concerning her. But seeing her join us that monday for lunch, left no doubt, if there ever was one that she was a very driven lady and I needed to give her a reply. What's that expression again? Hell hath no fury like a scorned woman or something like that. I didn't want to scorn Melissa or take her for granted. She'd bared her soul to me, it was now left for me to make up my mind. But it wasn't going to be that day.

After school, I rode with Jake to my house where he visited with me for some times. We discussed some of the assignments we were given and how to tackle it. After Jake left, I did some chores around the house. I wanted to keep the house in pristine condition all through mom's absence. I didn't want her to come home and meet the house in a condition that she'd wish that she never had to leave me alone again.

It's a marvel how mothers do it. I mean how they can manage to keep a full time work and still take care of the house. Before, I never cared how the house got to be in it's pristine condition, it was a given that it would always be clean and proper although I'd done my share of keeping it in that condition.

Around six in the evening, Beth came and drove Bethany and I to the hospital where we visited with mom. Mom was still bedridden although she was regaining her strength. I was told that her doctors conducted some tests for her and that the result would be available the next day. I told her about my day at school and everything I could remember doing that day. She was very interested in what I said. I think she didn't want to feel that she was missing out on my life which was why I didn't even bother giving her my one-worded replies like before. Everything was told in an excruciating detail even when they were embarrassing for me to say. Those embarrassing bits were what they liked particularly.

Around 8:30 we left mom with a promise to come back the next day and a kiss. When we got to the house, Beth invited me to sleep in her house, but I declined. Somehow, I was enjoying the solitude that mom's absence provided me.

I went inside, washed up and debated watching a particular movie or doing my assignments, the assignments won. Roughly one hour more, I was finished with my assignments and then I went to bed.

Tuesday was like Monday only that I didn't have the same shitty morning I had on monday. When we got to the hospital, we met a much more excited mom. Apparently, the test results came back and it seemed as though mom wouldn't be having any more encounters with cancer. I was particularly over-joyed with that piece of information becuase it meant that my mom was out of the danger zone. Also, she told us that according to the doctors, she was strong enough to be discharged on Friday.

It was a long wait for friday to come. Wednessday was tinged with mild anticipation of mom's discharge. Thursday, I was beside myself with excitement that my American History teacher had to ask me to step outside and walk off the excitement. It still wasn't enough because I wasn't much better during lunch and my friends laughed at my own expense. I didn't mind, only the countdown to the hours that mom would finally be home.

Whatever excitement I felt the previous day, it was nothing compared to the excitement of Friday. I was beyond excited and anxious with mom's anticipated discharge. I was excited because I found out that I missed mom's presence in the house a lot, solitude be damned. It was the little things she'd do that made me miss her like switching off the kitchen bulb, ensuring that the switch powering the entertainment system was off, preparing breakfast, the breakfast talk we used to have, the way she just be there when I did my assignment, encouraging me in her own little way by refilling my glass of water or whatever liquid I wanted to use as refreshment. I missed her. I was also anxious about her state of health. I couldn't help shake the feeling that something would happen and she wouldn't be discharged or that the cancer would come up again when we left the hospital. Like I said, I was anxious and excited at the same time.

Around 3:30, Beth came and picked Bethany, Jake and I for the hospital. Because I was still a 'minor' whatever that meant, it was Beth that handled the process of gettting mom discharged. I was comfortable with that though because it gave me time to help mom pack her belongings.

We were ready to leave before five. Somehow during her stay at the hospital, mom got popular with the nurses. When we were ready to leave, the whole nurse in mom's wing trooped in to wish her goodbye and quick recovery. It was heartwarming seeing the way they treated mom and I decided that I wanted to do something for these Nightingales that took care of my mom when I was indisposed to do so. They also hugged me, making me promise them that I'd take care of my mother. We sent them flowers with notes thanking them for all they did for mom.

The whole Parker clan was waiting for us when we got home. It turned out to be like the Friday night that mom and I went to see her oncologist. Only that the atmosphere was different. Before, there was a sense of foreboding that mom was a walking dead irrespective of her prognosis. Now, it was like the worst of the tide was finally over and all that was left was 'cleaning up' the mess left by the tide.

I was pretty excited that night that I couldn't stay in one place although all my excitements tended to lead me near mom's side. I was joyous for reasons quite obvious because it isn't everyday one comes close to losing his parent, his only surviving parent and still not be overtly grateful to whatever force that kept the said parent alive.

The ladies had to tease me about it but I seriously didn't mind. I was just happy to have my mother with me again.

Unlike that friday night, mom and I were left alone in the house. It was all well because I was feeling particularly clingy of mom that night. Which was why when we were ready for sleep, I snuck into mom's room and asked to sleep on the same bed with her. She obliged and made room for me. She wrapped her arm around me in a protective manner that I felt all the love mom had for me. It was like an outpouring of emotions only that it was only one emotion; love being poured out. I was quickly asleep in her arms.

Sleeping with mom in her room was out of character for someone like me; independent, self sufficient and in control person. But I was out of my element there. I was anxious that I'd wake up in the morning and not see her again. I was really afraid of losing her. And Like I said, nothing like a brush with death to make you appreciate your loved one more.


SATURDAY, 30th SEPT, 2000 From the moment I opened my eyes, I knew deep down in my soul that today was different. Call it intuition or being psychic but somehow I knew that today was going to be different.

It was a Saturday and the day dawned bright and early. I was happily esconced in the wings of my mother's love, her arms wrapped around me shielding away whatever ill feeling there was in this world. I slowly opened my eyes and the first thing that came to my mind that day was BEAUTIFUL.

I was looking at the window of mom's room where the wind was gently swaying the cottons around. The sun wasn't that bright yet, just that period between full dawn and darkness.

I turned within my mothers grasp and really looked at her. She was somehow emaciated and more lean looking which I suspected was from her time at the hospital and the worries that must have been going through her head. But however she was, she never looked more beautiful to me in my entire life than she did that morning. She didn't look different, I just appreciated her in a new light. Her strength, resolve and resilience, it all made her look more beautiful to me.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.