Dave's Australian Odyssey
Chapter 40: Gulf Country

Copyright© 2010 by Pappyok

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 40: Gulf Country - A four book series: '1. The Surfing Hitchhiker', Dave picks up a hitchhiking young surfer couple in his RV. '2. But Now I Am A Sailor', Dave meets new young ladies. '3. I Am Going To Be A Dad', Dave attends the wedding of the lesbian couple. '4. Now We Are Married', ends the odyssey with a wedding ceremony reuniting everyone.

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Mult   Consensual   Romantic   Lesbian   BiSexual   Heterosexual   Fiction   Spanking   Rough   Group Sex   First   Oral Sex   Anal Sex   Sex Toys   Exhibitionism   Voyeurism   Size  

Tuesday Week 16

When he woke up, Dave remembered that today was going to be one of the longer days of driving, without a lot for them to see along the way. He got up, dressed and started breakfast.

Jill yawned, stretching her chest so that her breasts pointed at him so delightfully, as she said, sounding disappointed, "what's happening lover? Why are you up and dressed so early and you've given me no cuddles or anything this morning?"

"Sorry, love, but we have almost 500 kilometres to drive to day and it's likely to take us over six and a half hours driving, so I thought we should be on the road as soon as possible" he replied, as he continued cooking them a ham and cheese omelette.

When she came out of the ensuite, still naked as always when she was in the RV, she kissed him on the cheek and sat down to eat her breakfast.

By 8:30 am Dave was pulling out of the caravan park. A few kilometres west of Julia Creek, he turned north on Wills Development Road, on their way to Karumba.

Just after 9:45 am they had reached Sudan Dip, a good waterhole that if there was more time, would have been a great place for a swim and even a bit of fishing. Dave was astounded at the well developed race course complete with grandstand and offices, seemingly in the middle of nowhere and so far from anywhere. According to the sign, the race course was only used for one weekend each year for a campdraft, rodeo and race meeting. It seemed a big investment for so little return, but then realised that there were a number of places like this throughout the outback providing community facilities for the locals, which had to be important for their sanity.

Dave and Jill enjoyed a quick cup of tea at the water hole, before continuing on to their next stop, the Burke and Wills Roadhouse.

It was almost two hours later that they reached the cross roads where the roadhouse was located. To the left, south, was Cloncurry, where they would be in about six days time, straight ahead the road continued on to Gregory Downs, while right, to the north which was the way they were going, was Normanton. This road was the Burke Development Road, part of the Matilda Highway.

Right at the Junction of the Burke Road and the Wills Road was the Burke and Wills Roadhouse. Appropriately named, but a fairly tired looking place, not overly inviting and with signs stating that the facilities were for customers only, which was fair enough, but as Dave didn't need to buy anything, he chose to pull up under a tree a little way down the road where Jill could make their lunch.

By 12:45 pm Dave was back on the road again, arriving at Normanton at 3:15 pm. Apart from using the public facilities and walking around the small main shopping area for fifteen minutes to stretch their legs, Dave said he would prefer to continue on to Karumba, where he planned to stay for three nights. He told Jill that they had to come back through Normanton as that was the only way out of Karumba, so there would be time for a longer look at what the town had to offer then.

Right on 4:30 pm Dave pulled into the caravan park at Karumba which was located at the bottom of the Gulf of Carpentaria. According to the guidebooks, this was one of the few places where there was easy access to the Gulf and actual beaches on the water edge.

Dave just had time to go to the Tourist Information Centre before it closed, leaving Jill behind to start on dinner. He was able to get several brochures and lots of information about Karumba.

When he got back to the RV, Jill, who by this stage was of course naked, had dinner cooking. Dave opened a bottle of wine and sat down with her to enjoy a pre-dinner drink, while he read to her about Karumba.

In the 1870s, he told her, a telegraph station was built on the site of the present town of Karumba. This was during the gold mining boom in the Gulf. The overland telegraph line ran to the Gilbert River, Mt Surprise and on to the more populated centres on the East Coast. Initially the settlement was known simply as Norman Mouth being at the entrance of the Norman River into the Gulf waters.

Some ships were able to navigate the river to Normanton providing a valuable transport system for the growing number of pioneers and residents in the region.

The name changed to Kimberley in 1876 for a short time, however the confusion with the Kimberley region in Western Australia brought about another change, Karumba, the name used by local indigenous people.

A meat-works was established and the first moves into a pastoral industry in the Gulf region provided the catalyst for what was today a multi million dollar industry. Beef was prepared in Karumba and frozen to be taken by ship north out of the gulf and then south down the east coast of Australia.

In 1937 the Flying Boat service operated by Qantas and BOAC established a base in Karumba to accommodate and refuel the Short Sunderland aircraft on their routes to London. The port then served as an RAAF Catalina base during the Second World War. The Catalinas operated from Karumba into Indonesia, New Guinea and Timor.

After the war the base was taken over by a Melbourne identity who established the first fishing and hunting business. The next owner was Ansett Airlines which used the Lodge as a base for their 'Station Run', delivering mail and goods to cattle stations and flying barramundi to the booming centre of Mt Isa. Float planes still used the river until 1976.

By the 1950s Karumba was fast becoming a popular spot for people eager for a fishing adventure in the Gulf of Carpentaria, especially looking to catch barramundi. There were also the crocodile hunters who pursued these prehistoric reptiles for their valuable skins, although these days some of the meat was also eaten. Tasted about halfway between chicken and fish, Dave added, as he had tried it before.

When large quantities of shrimp were discovered in the Gulf of Mexico, an Australian reasoned that similar species of prawns should be found in the Gulf of Carpentaria. It took about two years to establish there were in fact commercial quantities to be found and from then on it was like a second gold rush, but a prawn rush.

A packing factory was built on the burnt out site of the old meat-works with modern housing following soon after to accommodate the burgeoning prawn industry, for both skippers and factory workers. At the same time there came the necessary infrastructure such as water storage, wharves, power and other supporting services, as well as businesses and industries.

By the 1960s and 1970s Karumba had become the centre for the Gulf fishing industry. Today, Dave read, the prawn and barramundi fishing industries earn over $130 million each year.

Sea transport in the early days was essential; it was the most reliable way to travel. As roads improved and trucks began to provide faster services the scene changed. Cattle were initially moved on droving runs to the railhead at Julia Creek and this too eventually changed to truck transport. Marine contractors started live cattle transport by sea to the meatworks in Cairns and soon purpose built ships were able to carry in excess of 1,000 head each trip.

One of the buildings, called B Block, was built sometime before the Second World War to provide accommodation for the staff that serviced the Empire Flying Boats. It was taken over by the RAAF during the war for use as a radio and weather communications base.

In the late 1950's this building and another building were turned into the Karumba Lodge Hotel.

Karumba Point, a few kilometres north, had a history that goes back as far as 1872 when a telegraph link was established from Karumba to Cardwell. Their brochure told them that there was information indicating a small community had been here from as early as 1876 when gold was discovered in Croydon.

By the time Dave had read all this to Jill, she had dinner ready so both tucked in, enjoying what she had made, while ensuring that the rest of the bottle of wine was consumed.

Once dinner was finished and the dishes cleared away and washed, Dave poured Jill a Baileys and ice and he had a whisky with the coffee she made for them.

Soon after finishing their after dinner drinks, Dave suggested an early night as he was tired from the long day's drive.

"An early night's a good idea, but I hope you are not too tired to take advantage of being in bed early. If you are, well I'll just have to take advantage of you and molest you while you are trying to get to sleep" she replied with a wicked grin on her face.

"I'd have to be very tired to refuse an offer like that, especially if you promise to do all the work" he replied laughing with her.

Dave undressed and joined Jill, who had been naked since the RV had been parked, in bed. But he lay on his back and simply said "well do you want me or not? If not I'll go to sleep."

"You bugger" she said with mock severity "I'll make you pay for that. I'll keep you awake for hours, ravishing you. I'll wear your penis down to a nub."

It wasn't hours, but it was almost an hour later that a very satisfied man gave a big sigh and told a very hot and sweaty young lady just how wonderful she was.

Jill was feeling extremely delighted and incredibly content, her needs and desires well and truly fulfilled, as Dave took her into his arms, cuddling and fondling her breasts as they went to sleep.

Wednesday Week 16

Dave enjoyed a sleep-in or more correctly a doze-in, as he lay there cuddling Jill. She was happy just lying there in his arms, remembering the glorious moments from last night.

Eventually, Dave squeezed her breasts with both hands and, as he kissed her gently and smiled lovingly at her, said "why don't you get up and get me breakfast? I need my strength built up."

"How could I resist a request so politely put" she laughed, adding "you are lucky I'm hungry or I'd tell you to get your own."

After breakfast Dave and Jill set off for a long morning walk, using the Karumba Tourist Walk brochure as their guide. As they walked along, Dave read to Jill the information provided for each attraction.

Opposite their caravan park was the 'Virgins' Villas'. The whole allotment was originally made up of Dongas set in a row with a large mess hall that doubled as a picture theatre. The girls nicknamed the complex 'Harlots' Hollow'. It was renovated in 1993 to comprise several two-bedroom units with communal facilities. The factory girls that lived in it nicknamed it 'Virgins' Villas'.

A block behind the villas was the cold storage facility with a rather chequered history. Built originally as a meatworks in 1935, it operated on and off for some years. In disrepair, it burnt down in the fifties. In 1963 a Prawn Processing Plant was built on the same site and was the beginning of a lucrative export market. It again burnt down in 1984 and the current depot built. Unfortunately for Karumba, by this time modern trawlers were so sophisticated that all processing was done on board.

There were still frozen Banana prawns moved though the facility, the size and perfection of most meant they were shipped overseas to more lucrative markets. Dave discovered though that he could buy 'soft and broken' frozen prawns. These could not be exported, so were sold here very cheaply. What amazed Dave, was that because most of them were simply missing their heads, which he didn't eat anyway, he would actually get more prawn meat per kilo than if he bought the good ones and at less than half the price.

He was also able to buy two barramundi fillets and decided to take two packets of the 'soft and broken' prawns. He took them straight back to the RV, leaving one packet of prawns and a fillet of fish out to thaw for dinner, and put the rest in his freezer.

They then continued their walk past the old gaol to the Ramp, a large concrete pad built by the RAAF as a slipway for the Catalina aircraft.

As they walked past B Block, they realised what the brochure meant by 'a beautiful example of South African architecture'. Behind this building was a saltwater pool. Apparently, unfortunately, hidden beneath a lot of rubble was a painting of a mermaid by a famous Mornington Island artist, Mervyn Roughsby. Dave made a mental note to look at the Albion Hotel when they went back through Normanton, because the brochure told him that he had assisted in the painting and decorating of the bar there.

Dave and Jill walked past the Sutherland Park, named after the amphibian aircraft and down to Shelly Beach. From here they could see across to Karumba Point, where Dave told Jill he would take her there that afternoon.

Their walk continued past the State School then back past the few shops to the RV. On the way back, he booked a sunset cruise for that night. By the time Dave and Jill got back to the RV, both were happy to sit down and have a cool drink. It had been quite a good walk in the rather hot and steamy climate. Once they had recovered, Jill made some sandwiches that were washed down with a cup of tea.

After lunch Dave drove Jill to the Barramundi Centre. Here, they did the 2 pm tour, discovering the mysteries of the infamous barramundi and experiencing the thrill of feeding these giant fish.

Barramundi, they were told, are large predators, growing up to 60 kilograms, but usually being caught at around 6 kilograms. They can grow up to nearly 180 centimetres, but are sexually mature at about 55 centimetres. Belonging to the giant perch family, barramundi are similar in general appearance to freshwater perches.

The Barramundi Restocking Association was started by a small group of Commercial Barramundi fishers to ensure they and everyone else had a fishing future. The hatchery began operations in 1993 with infrastructure consisting of one donated freshwater tank, a second hand prawn bin converted into a bio-filter and a sand filter donated by the Karumba State School when they upgraded their swimming pool.

By that stage it had stocked over 500,000 fingerlings into the Albert River at Burketown and the Norman River as well as Lake Moondara at Mount Isa and Lake Belmore at Croydon.

After their tour, they looked at a diverse range of leather products available there for purchase, made from barramundi, sea snake, shark and cane toad. Dave decided he could do with a new wallet, particularly as he liked the one made from barramundi, while Jill had admired a belt made from shark, so he bought that as well.

Dave and Jill took their purchases to the car and then drove around to Karumba Point, where he continued driving around the area looking at the various homes, before calling into the hotel there. He enjoyed a couple of draught beers, while Jill had a soft drink, sitting outside where they could enjoy looking out into the Gulf.

Jill drove them back to the RV and they then walked to the ramp to catch their sunset cruise. Once all eight of the tourists who had booked that cruise were on board, the boat slowly went upriver as the tour guide pointed out various features and wrecks, giving a lot of interesting history, which included explaining how Karumba was generally cut off each year by flood waters for up to six weeks.

As their tour made its way back down towards the mouth of the river, past the dense mangrove swamps, the guide started throwing small fish from a bucket into the air and some resident hawks flew down and grabbed them while the fish were still in the air. It was very interesting to watch, although not all the fish were caught.

As the sun started to get low on the horizon, the boat cruised out into the gulf so they could watch the sunset over the waters of the Gulf. Their guide at this stage produced beer, bubbly and soft drinks as well as several platters of nibbles. Jill was happy to have a couple of glasses of bubbly, while Dave enjoyed another couple of beers. Both got stuck into the food, as they were starting to get a bit peckish.

The sunset was not only spectacular, but neither Dave nor Jill had seen the sun set over water to the west, having always lived on the east coast. The sun was a huge golden ball and the reflection on the water was brilliant. Both were amazed at how, as the sun was almost down, it seemed to suddenly disappear, as if its rate of descent sped up as it got lower and lower in the sky.

Dave had taken a number of photos during the cruise, but none were as beautiful as the sunset. He managed to get Jill offset with the sunset behind and Dave thought as he reviewed his photos, that this one in particular was a beautiful shot.

It had been a very enjoyable cruise and by the time he and Jill were back in the RV, Dave suggested putting the prawns back in the fridge and having them tomorrow and just cooking the fish, as both by this stage were not that hungry. Jill, having undressed as usual, grilled the fish fillets, simply serving them with some lemon slices and it tasted very good, made more enjoyable with the white wine Dave had opened.

Once they finished eating and cleaned up, both sat in the lounge sipping the remainder of the white wine, talking about their day's experiences. Soon Dave was suggesting bed and Jill happily agreed, both content to cuddle until they were asleep.

Thursday Week 16

After Dave and Jill had finished their breakfast, Dave left Jill cleaning up while he walked around to the owners of the boat they had cruised on last night. When he got there, the wife, who had handed out the food and drinks while her husband drove the boat, said hello to him and asked how she could help. He told her he was interested in a bit of fishing, but only had gear for fishing in rivers or on the beach. She assured him that she and her husband could take him and Jill fishing in the Gulf and would provide all the gear and bait, so he booked a trip for that afternoon.

"By the way, I am surprised at the number of beautiful papaya or papaw hanging on the trees next door. Doesn't anyone pick them?" Dave asked.

"No, I don't know any one who eats them. Would you like some? Next door are away for a couple of months and I know they won't mind if you want to pick them" she replied.

"I don't think it would be appropriate for me to just go in and take them, though."

"No problems, I'll come in with you" as she walked out the front and into next door's front yard.

"Give me a hand with that ladder, will you?" she asked and Dave went and got the ladder she pointed to resting against the side of the garage. He put it against the tree and she climbed up, picking three just-ripe papaya.

"Thanks very much. We will enjoy these" Dave said adding, "see you at noon."

Dave walked into the RV carrying the three huge papaya and Jill asked "where did you get those?"

Dave explained as he cut one in half, scrapped out the seeds, skinned and chopped it, then both sat down and ate about half, putting the rest in a container in the fridge.

"That was so refreshing. I can't believe that no one here eats them" Jill said, wiping her lips.

"Oh dear, you've dribbled some papaya juice onto your left breast. Here, let me clean it up for you" Dave magnanimously offered, as he licked her breast.

"Mmm, that feels good. Are you sure there isn't any on the other breast?" she murmured.

"Well I'll clean it just to make sure" Dave offered, taking her whole breast into his mouth and sucking it, before licking her nipple and then moving back to the other breast to give it some more attention.

"Just as well I didn't have any clothes on, I'm sure it wouldn't have tasted as nice licking my T-shirt" she laughed.

"Perhaps I better make sure that the juice didn't get anywhere else. Do you think it might have got in here?" he asked as he knelt between her legs and licked the lips of her sex.

"I don't know, but you better make sure I'm clean" she gasped as she felt the waves of pleasure sweep over her as Dave continued to lick and suck her secret area, using his fingers to assist in giving her pleasure.

"Just so I can do a better job of it" he told her as he picked her up and carried her to the bed. Soon he had her crying out how good it felt and perhaps he ought to use something else to finish the job.

Never slow on the up take, Dave stripped off his shorts and T-shirt and was soon pounding away inside her as she wrapped her legs around his buttocks, drawing him deeper inside her. Dave felt his release was imminent and was glad when he heard and felt Jill in the throes of orgasm allowing him to climax deep inside her pleasure zone.

They lay there for several minutes, recovering from their morning exercise, before Dave told her she had to put some clothes on because they were going fishing.

Jill really enjoyed the experience and even managed to catch a bigger fish than Dave. She squealed with delight, telling Dave how was exciting it was reeling in the big barramundi, although the skipper had to help them land each of the fish.

Dave certainly enjoyed the beer the skipper gave him as they were on there way back to the jetty. Once there, the skipper helped them clean and fillet the two barramundi.

"It looks like we are going to have Barramundi for dinner two nights in a row. Hope you don't mind that; I certainly don't. We can freeze the rest though" Dave told Jill as they walked back to the RV.

"I think I'll dust the fillets with a little flour and then pan fry them in butter this time, if that's OK Dave?" Jill asked.

"Sounds great to me. Why don't I buy a serve of chips from that shop over the road? Perhaps I should check when they shut, because I may as well walk back and get them hot just before the fish is ready, don't you think?" Dave suggested.

He crossed the road and checked the closing time, happy that it would be open until 7 pm.

When Dave got back he opened a bottle of white wine. He couldn't believe how much white wine he had been drinking, rather than his preferred red, but realised that with all the fish and the hot weather, it was quite enjoyable drinking cold white wine.

Jill meanwhile did her normal undressing thing, sitting down with Dave to have a glass before she started cooking the fish. They chatted about how much fun the fishing trip had been.

When their glasses were empty, Jill told him that she would start dinner and that he may as well go for the chips now as it wouldn't take long to cook.

By the time he was back with the hot potato chips, Jill had the table set and the fish were just finishing. She served them up while Dave poured some more wine.

"This is fantastic, darling, I love how you've done the fish. You must admit I cooked good chips too" he laughed and Jill joined in the laughter, but thanking him for his compliment.

When they had cleaned up, Dave got out some good chocolate and the port bottle while Jill made the coffee and they sat there savouring their drinks and chocolate, holding hands, listening to some gentle music.

Not too much later, both were snuggled up in bed, falling asleep, tired from the sun and salt water as well as the food and grog they had consumed.

"Thanks, darling, I have had another wonderful day" Jill said softly before she fell asleep.

Friday Week 16

"Have we got much driving to do today, my love?" Jill asked as she woke up and felt Dave cuddling her, gently rubbing her nipples between his thumb and forefinger and basking in the glorious feeling.

"Just over 250 kilometres, which should take about three and a quarter hours to drive, but I want to spend a couple of hours in Normanton. However, we don't need to be in Burketown until 5 pm, so there is no rush" Dave replied, sensing her arousal.

"That's good. I don't feel like rushing this morning and that also leaves lots of time for you to make slow, gentle love to me" she said softly.

"Sounds good to me, but give me a moment and I'll be right back" he said, going first to use the ensuite, then to the fridge to pour two glasses of orange juice.

He handed one to Jill and both drank them. Dave took the glasses back to the sink, then came back and got into bed, resuming his gentle cuddling and fondling. It felt really good being able to leisurely enjoy her body, Dave thought.

Soon Jill forgot about that slow, gentle love bit and was urging him on, faster, harder, deeper, more please, lifting her legs right up over his shoulders so that he could penetrate her even further. Her hands grasped his bottom, squeezing the cheeks of his bottom, pulling him deeper inside her.

While Dave had deliberately been trying to continue his slow rhythm, he soon lost control and pounded into her, reacting to her actions. Then, as she forced a finger deep into his anus, he jerked involuntarily, exploding deep within her, which was what she was trying to make him do.

Dave collapsed on top of her, not even taking his weight off her, which he normally did. He was totally spent. Jill lay there loving the crushing feeling of her man being on top of her.

Eventually, Dave got his breathing back under control and rolled off her, taking her in his arms and delivering kiss after kiss to her face, telling her how much he loved her and how good she was.

Around 9 am, Jill happily got up and started breakfast. Dave decided he better get going, so dressed and started preparations for their trip until Jill told him his breakfast was ready.

Just on 11 am Dave pulled into Normanton, one of the two towns in the Carpentaria Shire, the other of course being Karumba. The streets were very wide, so wide Dave joked that he might have to get the 4WD off its trailer so he could cross the main street.

As usual, Dave called into the Information Centre and got brochures describing the town. He and Jill sat in a café having a cappuccino, while Dave read the information to her.

Despite having only two towns, the shire was the size of the state of Tasmania, Dave read at the Information Centre. Normanton's population was 1,600, bigger than Karumba with its population being only 700. The town started life as a port for the Gulf of Carpentaria's cattle industry and grew in importance with the discovery of gold at Croydon in 1885.

The area was first explored by Ludwig Leichhardt on his epic journey from the Darling Downs to Port Essington. The next Europeans through the area were Burke and Wills who made their final dash to the Gulf or, more correctly, to the mangrove swamps somewhere near the edge of the Gulf, only 26 kilometres west of the town.

The location of Burke and Wills last northern camp was signposted on the main Normanton to Burketown road. It was only a 1.5 kilometres drive into the bush to the spot which was marked by a couple of plaques.

The brochure detailed the dedication which read:

'This monument marks the site of Camp No: 119 of the 1860-61 Burke and Wills expedition occupied on Saturday 9 February 1861 by Robert O'Hara Burke, William John Wills, John King and Charlie Gray. On Sunday 10 February Burke and Wills left on the attempted journey to the Gulf of Carpentaria returning on Tuesday 12 February. All four abandoned the camp the next day for the return journey to Coopers Creek, Depot No: 75, and home to Melbourne. During the return journey all died with the exception of King who survived with the assistance of a friendly Aboriginal tribe. This monument was provided through, and with thanks, to the generous donation of Mr. Douglas Jolly of Brisbane and the historical advice of the State Library of Victoria and was erected in 1978 by the Normanton Lions Club.'

It was Frederick Walker, while looking for Burke and Wills, who discovered and named the Norman River after the captain of a ship called Victoria.

In 1867 William Landsborough sailed up the Norman River and chose the site for the settlement of Normanton. Over the next decade it became an important port. The large Burns Philp building with its striking architecture, at the end of the town's main street was evidence of its importance at this time. There were even suggestions that it would become a port to rival Darwin as the main centre on the north coast of Australia.

In 1892 a boiling-down works was established on the river and shortly afterwards a meatworks was opened.

The town experienced a major boom with the discovery of gold at Croydon. By 1891 the population had reached 1,251. However the gold diggings were short-lived and although the Normanton-Croydon railway line was opened by 1907 the whole area was on the decline. Even the cattle which had been the town's mainstay started heading south as the railway line was extended out towards Mount Isa. By 1947 the population had dropped to 234.

It has since picked up with the development of prawn fishing at Karumba and the increasing interest in tourism.

The town's greatest tourist attraction was undoubtedly 'The Gulflander'. The railway line was originally planned to service the beef industry by running from Normanton to Cloncurry but the discovery of gold at Croydon redirected it.

The rail was a masterpiece of adaptive design. George Philips, the supervising engineer, designed special steel sleepers which proved so successful that they are still in use today. They can be seen at the railway station which was listed by the National Trust. It was an unusual building which has distinctive decorative patterns on the cross-braces holding up the corrugated-iron roof. It had become one of Normanton's most distinctive landmarks.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.