Ants at BEES - Cover

Ants at BEES

Copyright© 2010 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 3

I felt good as I walked back to my hotel. Oh, there were many things to do – not least establishing a bank account and finding out about my grant – but I had a place to live and a (seemingly) pleasant landlady.

A few moments with a telephone directory revealed that there was a Commonwealth Bank on College Road, another on Library Road and one on the roundabout where Rainbow ran into Anzac Parade. I thought I'd go over to the last of these in the morning. I also thought about the telephone. I'd seen an announcement for a new mobile phone from Telstar. That would be the second thing I'd do in the morning. Then I'd move my paltry possessions and survey what I'd need to buy. If I had time, I'd get to the Australian Museum in the afternoon.

I went back out and walked in another direction, towards the hospital. I'd seen the signs. There were several places to eat and I stopped at an Asian one. It turned out to be Singapore-Chinese, so I treated myself to some spicy food. I was thinking as I ate and hadn't noticed the place fill up. A young woman interrupted my musing when she asked if I minded her sharing my table.

"Sorry?"

"May I sit here?"

"Of course. My apologies. I was thinking and paid no attention." I looked at her. Certainly no movie star, but not bad-looking. Wearing some sort of a uniform. "Do you work at the hospital?"

"Yes, I'm an analytic biochemist."

"Ah. Well, I'm about to begin a Ph.D. Programme at BEES. My name is Gordy Hollister and I'm from Queensland."

"Diana Prince. How do you do? Let me order; I've less than an hour." She ordered and I looked at her again. Nice hair. Neat.

"Diana Prince?"

"My mum was a Wonder Woman fan."

"Are you from Sydney?"

"Sort of. Wollongong, south of here."

"What do you do at the hospital?"

"Blood and urinalyses; sometimes stool. Nothing very exciting. What are you studying?"

"Entomology. Specifically, ants."

"Hmmm."

"What does that mean?"

"Oh. My dad's a botanist at the Gong Garden. He always complains about the folks who admire the roses and the azeleas and feel insects are 'yucky'." She laughed.

"Oh, yes. I understand. My sister-in-law thinks I'm silly and that we should just wipe out the insects. And my brother manages a vineyard!"

"We'd best eat. Your's is getting cold and I've got to get back."

"Can I have your number? I'd give you mine, but I haven't one yet."

"'Kay. You don't look or act like a predatory rapist."

"I hide it well." I attempted a sinister laugh.

"You need to practice that more."

"I know. But ... so few good opportunities."

Diana laughed and handed over a slip of paper. "I'm free Friday and Saturday, on Sundays this month."

"I'll remember that." She fumbled in her pocket. "And I'll take care of dinner."

"Thank you, kind sir." She put out a hand. I took it."

"My pleasure." Diana turned and took a step.

"Bye." And she was gone.

Well, I thought, that wasn't too awkward. I'd have to get that mobile and use it.

I walked back to the hotel and told the bloke downstairs that I'd be leaving in the morning. "Checkout's noon," he muttered. He made a note in his registry and paid no further attention to me.

In the morning I bundled the little I'd taken inside and went down. There was now a woman at the desk. I gave her my name and room number and received an itemized invoice. It looked reasonable, so I signed it, she issued a charge slip which I duly signed. She clipped the carbon to a copy of the invoice, handed it to me, and wished me "a good trip."

I drove towards the hospital and located a place for breakfast.

While there, I read The Sydney Morning Herald and noted the address of a telephone store from an ad. So I found my way there next. An hour later I was in possession of a mobile phone and a one-year contract that enabled me to use it at a (seemingly) outrageous price. I immediately called Queensland, gave Mum my number, told her about my new residence and assured her that I was in good health. I then walked to Anzac Parade and south to the Commonwealth Bank. I arranged for a chequing account and a debit card, but retained my account and my credit card in Queensland. They said they'd mail card and cheques in a few days. I realized that I should have driven about, but walked back to the hotel and drove to my new digs.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.