Ants at BEES - Cover

Ants at BEES

Copyright© 2010 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 1

I received my bachelor's diploma with highest distinction from Queensland at the beginning of December. Mum and dad had driven in from Mitchell. We loaded my books, my bugs, my apparatus, and my clothes into the car and drove home.

UNSW began in February. I'd get to Sydney in January and find a place to live. But I'd have four to six weeks to relax – with Christmas and New Year's in the middle. I'd "won" APA support [Australian Postgraduate Award] for three years towards the Ph.D., but I knew I'd not be able to manage on that. So I'd have to talk to dad when we were at home. I had an idea, but needed his input. I'd have to acquire a vehicle of some sort – small and Japanese, I supposed. And I'd need some clothes. But that could wait till I was in Sydney and saw what people wore on the campus.

We were in Roma before I realized that I'd been sitting, wrapped in my own thoughts. "Sorry, Mum, Dad," I said. "I've got so much to think about that I've been ignoring you."

"It's okay, dear. You've got a lot on your mind. But you must be proud of yourself for the honours. I've invited David and Sandra for Sunday."

"That's fine. I'll stay awake and try not to argue with Sandra."

Dad chuckled. "I've been hearing that for at least four years, Gordy. You didn't like her when you were in school. You didn't like her when David began dating her. And now that they're married, you still don't like her. Surprise!"

"It's her mind I can't stand. She's pretty enough."

"That's enough of that!" Mum said. "And when are you getting married?"

"Not soon. I don't even know anyone I'd want to marry."

Dad swerved into our road. "Here we are! Looks the same as always!" It did.

Saturday I greeted several of the station hands, saddled one of the horses and rode around the place. The cattle were placidly putting on weight and the sheep, in their own fold, were growing wool. The 30,000 acres [12000 hectares] seemed smaller than they had just a few years earlier. After dinner, I spoke to Dad about the APA money and how much extra dosh I thought I'd need. I planned on about $200 for rent, but he advised me to figure on double. [In Australia rentals are per week.] I also broached the question of a car or a ute. He advised me to wait. All in all it appeared that I would need about a thousand a month extra.

Dad said he'd think about it. I knew that that meant he'd talk to Mum about everything.

Sunday David and Sandra, who was complaining because they'd come directly from church, arrived around one. After the customary family greetings, we sat down to dinner.

"So, you're going back to school?" was Sandra's opening gambit.

"Yes. For another three or four years." It seemed to me that simple, direct answers ought to keep me out of the quicksand.

"I barely lasted through my degree. I was so-o-o glad to get it and get married. Another four years!" I didn't think that required anything.

"Gordy received honours," Mum was really proud.

"But that won't get him more dosh, will it?"

"Well, it sort of does," I threw in.

"Really? How?"

"Well it got me APA support for the next three years."

"So David's taxes pay for you to swan around?"

"Not quite," I was beginning to get irritated. "I have to study."

"Ants? What good is studying ants?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.