River Rat - Cover

River Rat

Copyright© 2010 by Wes Boyd

Chapter 27

November 11 - 15, 1999

Flagstaff

The normal procedure when returning from a trip was to unload the gear right away, clean what needed to be cleaned and repair what needed to be repaired before heading to the Burro for a beer and a bar burger, then to a hot shower and a real bed. But on this one trip, the last of the year, they did it a little differently. There was no real rush, and the unloading, cleaning, and repairing was much more serious, and would go on for several days -- Dave and Mary and a couple members of their crew were still picking away at work that needed to be done on gear from their run that ended a week ago.

After hearing about them all season, Dave proved to be plain-looking, large, and big-boned, but had a mild speech impediment so didn't talk any more than he had to. Mary made up for it, though; she was talkative and friendly. She was smaller, more slender than Dave if still solid and muscular, with long, dark red hair that hung most of the way down her back in twin braids, wore funny-looking big round glasses, and had an acne problem.

This had been Mary's seventh summer with Canyon Tours, five of them as a boatman, and was next in seniority behind Michelle. Three summers before, she'd become friendly with Dave while on breaks at the Burro; he was a boatman for another company but was one day off of the same schedule, so they were on break at the same time all summer. One thing led to another, and they decided to winter over together at a place she knew in Mexico. When spring came, they went to both Al and the boss at Dave's company and said they didn't want to piss anyone off but wanted to run together. Al and the manager of the other company finally wound up having to flip a coin over it. Mary was an assistant trip leader that year, and Dave would have been a trip leader if he'd stayed with his old company, but the position was already filled at Canyon Tours.

When the end-of-summer shuffle with the changeover to the fall schedule happened at about the time Crystal showed up at Canyon Tours, they were shorthanded on trip leaders, so Mary was promoted to trip leader with Dave her assistant. As they were getting set for the spring, they worked out a deal with Al and Louise where at least on paper and in their paychecks they'd swap off being trip leader every other trip. Al had explained to Scooter long before that they actually split up the responsibilities much differently, and he thought of them as co-leaders. It was a little unorthodox, but he was willing to put up with it because they both told him flatly that they didn't plan on leaving the Canyon any decade soon. Al had been there with Louise and had done that, knew how it worked, and was more than happy to accommodate them.

The next morning, everyone was back and turned to the job of unloading most of the Team 3 equipment and storing it in the barn; the rafts would stay loaded on the flatbed for a while until some more Team 2 work had been completed.

Along in the middle of the morning, when the work was pretty well along, Al had Michelle and Karin come out to the barn and join the people who had been working out there: Dave, Mary, Ben, and Tom from Team 2, and Crystal, Scooter, Jerry, and Dan from Team 3. He brought a big box of doughnuts and a graniteware pot of coffee, and had everyone find a place to get comfortable; they wound up sitting on rafts, the floor, and other reasonably level surfaces.

"Most of you know that we usually have an end-of-season meeting of the trip leaders and assistants," he began, "But I figure since we've pretty much got the hard-core hard cores here already, we might as well get everybody in on it before we have the season closer party tomorrow night and people start to split. I've talked to some Team 1 summer people on the phone.

The first thing I want to say is that I really appreciate the way all of you have hung tough this year. It has not been an easy year, and it's been a tragic one for me. I know I wasn't much help for a couple months there. Now, people have in the past gotten down on me because I can get a little picky about my people, and I'll admit it; I have. This season has shown why I've been picky. When I dropped the ball, the rest of you picked it up and did what had to be done. Jeff and Michelle, especially, did a really super job of keeping things going. Things were done so well that this fall I've wondered if I really should be running this outfit, anyway."

"Al," Michelle snorted, "Talk sweet all you want, but you're not going to stick me in the office permanently."

"I'm not planning on it," he laughed. "Mostly because I don't think I could do it, anyway. Michelle, as valuable as you were in the office this summer, in many ways you're more valuable out on the river. Like I told you a couple trips back, I'm going to have you on the water as much as possible next summer, but it probably won't be every trip."

"Good," she smiled. "I was beginning to wonder. At least I got in the last trip to remind myself of where I belong."

"Be that as it may, you did a heckuva job on something you didn't want to do. Now I know those of you that didn't know each other before the season at least got introduced last night, but I'm not sure everyone picked up on Karin, here. Karin is Crystal's mother, and she ran as a swamper on the last two Team 3 trips, did a heckuva good job. I mean, this morning I happened to notice that she was acting like a good swamper by dumping and cleaning the groovers without anyone asking her to. Now, my original idea wasn't that she was going to be a swamper, because she's a long-time corporate bookkeeper and office manager, and I figured I was going to have her doing that here. However, the last two Team 3 trips have proved to me that I'm going to have just as hard a time keeping her off the river as I have with Michelle, so maybe I haven't got the office problem solved after all."

There was a round of laughter; at the Burro the previous night the story had gone around about Karin rowing Crystal's raft away from the ramp while Al stood there shaking his head in surprise.

"It's too early to tell about next year," Al said. "But my hope is that I won't be on the regular schedule for any team. I had intended to ride with each team at least some this year, but obviously it didn't happen, mostly because we were short on trip leaders in the spring. Right now, it doesn't look like we're going to hurt there next year. I talked to Dave and Mary earlier this week, and they said they're going to be back unless they get run over by a truck or something, and that's pretty much what Crystal told me. Bill is back in school but I called him the first part of the week. He's not dead sure, but it's maybe two chances out of three he'll be back next year, but just for the summer session. It depends on class work and other stuff he can't control. But, he also told me that he's about dead certain it will be his last summer, unless we get lucky and he flunks out or something."

Again there was a laugh; the story that had been told around the company was that his extremely high grades in law school were the only thing that allowed him to break free to work in the summers at all.

"To top it off," Al smiled, "He's gotten himself engaged to some girl who's another law student and not a rafter, and I expect she'll have something to say about him taking off on her. Fortunately, we got real lucky at the first part of the season when Crystal and I asked Scooter to come out here. Now, for those of you from Team 2, this is Scooter's first season on the river, but she has more raft experience than Crystal or Dave or Mary, and is right up around Michelle somewhere. If both she and Crystal had showed up at the same time she'd have been promoted to trip leader instead, and I don't think anyone will mind if I say that. Now, Scooter, you're planning on being back next year, aren't you?"

"Sure am," she grinned. "I mean, I'm right there with Dave and Mary; it'd take being run over by a truck to stop me."

"I pretty well knew that," Al smiled. "If Bill doesn't show up, you take over Team 1 next year. If he does, you're the first alternate. Now, I haven't got everything all worked out in my mind yet and it may not work, but if Bill shows up I may still have you run a trip or two so the other trip leaders can get a week or two off. I know damn well it gets hard going all season with the tiny breaks you get. But we'll play it however it is when next spring rolls around."

"Honestly, Al," Scooter said, "It's no major skin off my butt if I'm an assistant again next year. The experience won't hurt."

"Good," Al said, "Because we're not quite set as pretty with assistant trip leaders. Terry, the kid that was assistant on Team 1 this summer did OK, but only OK, if you know what I mean, but he almost certainly won't be back next year. So that means that the Team 1 assistant leader is probably sitting here right now. I haven't made up my mind who that's going to be yet. One possibility, and she ain't gonna like hearing this, is that we find some doctor that has some patch or pill or something to clear up a bubble gum addiction, and maybe a dentist to get the braces off her teeth so she maybe looks nineteen or twenty."

"Al," Michelle protested. "I think I'd almost rather be in the office."

"Michelle," he smiled, "You can't evade responsibility forever. Like I said, you did a heckuva job this summer."

"I can be responsible when I have to," she said firmly. "That doesn't mean I want to."

"We're going to have to talk about that some time," he smiled. "But now's not the time. Besides, it's gonna depend some on how the office schedule works out, too. Next spring is still a long way off. Anyway, at this point I'm sorta leaning toward Ben or Tom, but that'll depend on if they're back next year, or what. Have you guys thought about it anymore?"

"Like I told you the other day," Tom spoke up. "I really can't commit either way at this point. It's a family issue."

"Ben?"

"Ninety percent yes," he replied, "Excluding the run-over-by-a-truck factor, of course. I should be able to give you a solid answer along the first part of the year."

"We all have things we can't control, and I know that better than most this year," Al sighed. "And you can never be dead certain who's going to be on a trip till the rafts pull out from shore. Just let me know as soon as you can. Jerry, before you ran that last trip you said you wanted to come back. That still good?"

"If you'll have me. But there's the truck factor, of course."

"Or falling off a cliff, in your case," Al nodded. "Are you going to be up for it?"

"I wasn't all the way back together the last trip but I think I did OK. I should be back in shape by spring."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.