Flight of Destiny - Cover

Flight of Destiny

Copyright© 2010 by Krystal Hope

Chapter 16

A fortnight after Amenhotep's funeral, Prince Akhenaten paced around the Royal Bedchamber like a caged lion. It was past dusk, and Ksunamun was dining with Queen Kiya. Kiya had requested it, and Ksunamun felt obliged to go. Akhenaten had agreed with her. It was only polite to sup with the Queen when she asked it.

My Dear Reader, if I have led you to believe that Akhenaten was anxious because of Ksunamun's absence, then I have partially misled you. He was more anxious because the following morning he was to be coroneted Pharaoh of Khemet. He suffered inner turmoil because he didn't want to do this alone. The yoke he was now faced with felt impossible to carry. He wondered how his father had ever done it. He supposed it was the help Kiya gave him while he was still alive.

Akhenaten continued to pace, a plot brewing in his head. He knew a way he could get help, but he'd have to wait until the right time to ask for it. The trouble was, there wasn't very much time left.


"My dear girl, I'm curious, how is my son treating you?" Kiya asked rather uncouthly, "Is he being a good husband thus far?"

"Aye," Ksunamun answered simply as she daintily sipped from a gleaming golden goblet of sweet red wine. When she lowered the goblet from her lips, she decided to make her answer more satisfying to the curious Queen. "He is a very good man, Queen Ki - I mean - mother." Ksunamun was still getting used to calling the older woman her mother. Kiya was definitely far from perfect, but she was a step above Ksunamun's own mother, Merit Ptah. All Merit had been concerned about was choosing Ksunamun's profession for her. Ksunamun smiled inwardly. If only her mother could see her now, what would she say?

"I think that you will be a lovely Queen, Ksunamun," Kiya said seriously, "You were born for it."

Ksunamun couldn't help but counter that remark. "How was I born for it, I wonder? I was merely the daughter of a farmer and a physician!"

"It is simple!" Kiya answered, happy to explain her line of thinking, "The gods favoured you to be Queen. They made it so that you were born where you were for a reason. Because of where you come from, you can better appreciate where you are now, and better help your people when the time comes."

Ksunamun could not argue.

Queen Kiya decided to fill the silence. "Would you like me to summon the seamstresses in the next day or two to make new robes and dresses for you?"

"No thanks," Ksunamun replied quickly, "I've plenty now." It was true. Since her arrival, Ksunamun had acquired more than fifty different dresses, ten cloaks, twenty sets of robes, and more jewellery and more pairs of satiny slippers than she dared to count. She was using one of the spare chambers in Akhenaten's wing to hold all of the clothing.

"Alright then. What do you plan on wearing for the coronation tomorrow?" Kiya ventured, thinking clothing was a safe topic for the time being.

"I do not know yet." Ksunamun's voice was quiet, reserved, "I was actually planning on choosing an outfit after I finished here."

Kiya nodded. I suppose you should go then."

Ksunamun stood, and nodded to the Queen. "Thank you for dinner."

"It is nothing, Ksunamun. I hope we can do it again in the near future."

Ksunamun smiled politely. "That would be nice."


"I'm glad you're back!" Akhenaten exclaimed when Ksunamun came into the bedchamber. He rushed to her, and kissed her deeply, "I missed you."

"As usual, you are completely hopeless." Ksunamun laughed.

"I'm glad I am, Ksun." Akhenaten admitted eagerly, "How did your dinner with my mother go?"

"Well enough," Ksunamun answered as she took a seat on the sofa, "But it seemed to me that she could only speak of clothes and of formal events."

Akhenaten laughed as he joined her. "That's a sign that she's nervous," he divulged, "I think she doesn't know exactly how to speak to a woman less than half her age."

"That's understandable," Ksunamun was considerate, "After all, I hadn't a clue what to say to her. I tried my best, and it seems I didn't make too much of a mess of things."

"How could you when you're so perfect?" Akhenaten asked simply, rhetorically.

"Hopeless Akhenaten, hopeless." Ksunamun was holding both hands to her face, trying to stifle her giggles and hide the bright pink that had risen to her cheeks.

Akhenaten was not laughing. "Aye, Ksun. I have something I must ask you."

It took Ksunamun a good few minutes to recover to the point where she wasn't bursting at the seams with laughter. She finally composed herself, and tried to remain nonchalant. "What is it?"

"Before I tell you, promise me you won't laugh?"

The Princess nodded, "Aye, I won't."

"And promise me that you will think it over seriously before answering."

"Alright." Ksunamun agreed.

"Ksunamun, I want to ask you to do something. It is not for me, really, but more or less for you."

Ksunamun was becoming a trifle impatient. "What, Akhenaten, what?"

Akhenaten hesitated. "Ksun, I want you to think about becoming my co-ruler."

"What-?"

"Wait, let me say this. I want you to think about becoming my co-ruler, and I need your answer before I can go to sleep tonight."

To say Ksunamun was surprised by Akhenaten's proposition was a gross understatement. For a long time she was silent, afraid that her tongue would either get her into trouble or hurt Akhenaten.

Did she really want to rule with him? If she had to be honest, she'd say yes, but her reasons were every one selfish. That wouldn't be good in a Queen who co-ruled with the Pharaoh, would it?

She thought for what seemed an eternity, then spoke, with perhaps the silliest thing she could have said. "I suppose my answer will help me decide what to wear in the morning, won't it?"

Akhenaten nodded gravely, "Aye. Ksun, if you need time, just tell me. The night is yet young, you can afford to take as long as you need, just as long as by the time your head hits that pillow you tell me."

Ksunamun nodded dumbly. "I need time, aye."

The Prince kissed her cheek. "Alright, my sweet, wonderful Lotus Blossom." He met her misty eyes, which were now full of doubt. "There's no pressure, Ksun. I just want you to think about it."

"What if I say yes?"

Akhenaten smiled wistfully. "If you say yes, my sweet lotus blossom, then when I am coroneted tomorrow, you will be by my side, and I won't feel so much like a lamb going to the proverbial slaughter."


Atemakhu was at his humble estate, which was situated just a few hundred yards behind the Temple of Atem-Ra in Thebes. It was much smaller than that of Sutekh, but for a reason. It was not for shortage of funds, but rather that the priests of Set tended to overindulge themselves, spending much money out of their coffers on pleasures and luxuries. Money that should have been used the way it was used by the other High Priests and Priestesses - to help feed and clothe the desperately poor.

Atemakhu was preparing for the coronation he was supposed to lead. He didn't know exactly what he was supposed to do, and so here he was: at his desk, poring over scrolls that gave instructions on the coronation of a royal. There were so many rules! So many small details!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.