Flight of Destiny - Cover

Flight of Destiny

Copyright© 2010 by Krystal Hope

Chapter 10

The next day offered Ksunamun a vivid taste of what her life would be like, now that she was a Princess.

She had slept in her own chamber. Akhenaten had offered to stay with her, and when she had declined, asked if she'd stay with him. Again, she turned him down. She had pointed out that if they spent their nights in the same room, it would not only be inappropriate, but in actuality, illegal. They were not married yet, so they should try to adhere to protocol, and it would leave her conscience unburdened.

When she had stirred from her slumber, there were two slaves standing at the foot of her bed, waiting for her. They were young men, in their early twenties, and quite obviously of Hebrew descent. They were, it appeared, brothers.

Ksunamun sat up in bed slowly and wiped the sleep out of her eyes before doing a double take. "Who are you?" She asked quietly.

The one to the left answered. "I am Nathan, Princess, and this is my younger brother, David."

"Why are you here?" Ksunamun wondered.

The one called David chuckled, his voice quite a bit like Akhenaten's. "We are your slaves, of course! We were appointed by the Pharaoh to do things for you that are too tedious or difficult until you wed Prince Akhenaten. Then Adam will also be your slave as well as his majesty's."

Nathan spoke again. "We have brought your breakfast." He lifted the tray from a table behind him, and carried it to Ksunamun, placing it gently on her lap.

"Thank you." Ksunamun said gratefully, "I'm positively starving."

"It is no trouble, Princess." Nathan shrugged dismissively.

Ksunamun nearly dove into the fresh, roasted fowl. The meat was sweet, and juicy - obviously chicken. She hadn't expected such a heavy meal for breakfast, but was grateful for it.

Something came to her mind, then, and a question spilled from her lips before she could stop it. "Can either of you read?"

David answered quickly. "Nay, Princess. Neither of us."

"I need to find someone who can read." Ksunamun said softly, "I need a scribe."

"You should ask the Pharaoh, Princess," It was Nathan who'd answered this time, "He can appoint one."

Ksunamun returned to her breakfast. "Aye, I will ask him about it later today." She paused, "I suppose I should learn to read myself one day."

"For someone of your rank, learning to read and write is a personal choice, Princess. Learning to read would come in very useful, if I may say. Until then the services of a scribe should serve you quite well."

"I know," Ksunamun murmured, "Is Akhenaten awake?"

"Aye," David nodded, "He rose with the birds. He rode out - he said he had to go do something - I apologize, Princess, but I know not what his errand was."

Ksunamun sighed, "That's alright."

For a long time there was silence, Ksunamun eating the rest of her meal at a slow and steady pace. David soon disappeared, leaving Ksunamun to wonder why Akhenaten has left without a word.

When David returned, he was holding a small parcel wrapped with white cotton.

"What's this?" Ksunamun asked interestedly.

"From the Pharaoh and Queen, Princess." David answered cheerfully.


Sutekh Seth, the new High Priest, rode towards the palace, his elaborate new robes of black and gold silk billowing out behind him. He was also wearing traditional body armour. He did not see the heavy black leather armour as necessary, but he'd been told it was, and so passively accepted it.

His new accommodations were good - very good, actually. He'd inherited Setana's luxurious estate, including the farm that was with it, the apple orchard, the animals, the slaves - everything. He'd even inherited Setana's private harem, which consisted of twelve lovely young ladies of Seth's own age.

Sutekh Seth smiled to himself. Last night had been one of the most comfortable of his life. The girls in the harem had waited on him hand and foot, doting upon him ceaselessly. When they had been informed that he was the new High Priest, and that they would never see Setana again, they were very happy indeed. They warmed to their new master immediately.

He had dared to ask why they seemed to be glad at the news of their former master's sentence. He'd been told quite freely that Setana had mistreated them. According to the girls, they'd been punished quite harshly if they refused to comply to Setana's every whim, even if it was because they were tired, or ill. To Setana, the girls had been nothing more than cattle.

One of the girls, who'd been quite silent the whole night, came to Sutekh when he was preparing to go to bed. She was wearing a garment of gossamer fabric, just like the rest of the girls, however, hers was turquoise, where the rest were different shades of pink, red and purple. She had told him that she was the head of the harem. She was the one who was to accompany the High Priest at all times when he was at home, and to go with him wherever he went if he requested it.

Sutekh had liked this idea.

This was obviously to be categorized as a benefit to being the High Priest. Seth did not mind at all. It would be nice to have someone to travel with him, instead of always going everywhere alone. He decided he'd befriend the slave girl as soon as possible, so that she would enjoy being in his company. He knew all too well that it was far easier to travel with close friends than someone you shared a rather icy relationship with.

The girl, who's name was Ishza, had stayed in Seth's new bedchamber through the night.

Seth had taken a while to get used to Ishza's presence, but at length went to sleep, and slept well.

He had a good twenty minutes of riding ahead of him yet. It was still early, but he wanted to inform the Pharaoh as soon as possible of the news. Setana had left a huge mess behind - Seth had only discovered this after being elected. Now the responsibility fell on the shoulders of the new High Priest of cleaning everything up and maintaining it.

Young Seth was now beginning to truly loath with intensity the legacy of his predecessor, and vowed he'd not make such chaos out of things while he was leading the priests of Set.

Aye, Setana had been one rotten little apple. The scandal of his criminal actions would lead to a decline in the god Set's popularity - Sutekh Seth could see this clearly.


Akhenaten was also riding his horse, but for a different purpose than the new High Priest. He did not know it then, but the new High Priest of Set and Akhenaten's own horse shared a name. When he did find out, though, he would laugh, because indeed, Sutekh was quite a common name, for man and beast.

The High Priest of Set, either the former or who was to be the new, was the last thing on the Prince's mind.

He was riding to the temple of Isis. He had planned to offer Isis a sacrifice of thanks, for he'd been taught that if it weren't for Isis's intervention, he and Ksunamun would not have been brought together.

He'd brought a pouch of gold, and was more than willing to spend whatever he had to in order to make a sacrifice that would please Isis, that would stir her to bless his marriage to Ksunamun.

Akhenaten kicked the horse's flanks, and Sutekh the horse sped to the Temple of Isis in the far end of Luxor.


Ksunamun was intrigued, "Bring it here! Let me open it!"

David handed the parcel to her carefully. Ksunamun unwrapped it slowly, being careful not to injure whatever was within the cotton wrapping.

"Oh!" She gasped. It was a beautiful, blood red gown of silk with black trim. It's details were intricate - lace, beads, and embroidery. She lifted it out, and found that there was a matching pair of silk slippers. "They're lovely." She breathed.

"Will you try them on now, Princess?" Nathan wondered.

"Yes - I think I will."

"Very well, Princess. We will leave you now, and guard your door while you dress."

"Thank you."

Ksunamun's new slaves left, assuming that her thanks was a bid to leave. Ksunamun waited until the thin silk curtain fell into place, blocking anyone from bothering her. Then she proceeded to change from her flowing nightgown of beige cotton into the new gown.

It fit her perfectly - and Ksunamun wondered how - no one had her measurements, did they? She shook the thought and tried on the slippers. They, too, fitted perfectly.

Ksunamun had no complaints; after all, the gown was lovely, and comfortable, as well.

"I'm finished changing!" She called out.

"Her Majesty wishes us back?" It was David.

"I do."

The slaves returned quickly, setting to do the various chores. Nathan dusted off the various surfaces, and David picked up and put away Ksunamun's clothes. Ksunamun herself felt strange having these two men do everything for her. She wasn't sure if she liked it, so long had she done these things for herself.

She figured she'd be daring. These two men had to answer questions, too, right? "What do you two think of this gown?"

David and Nathan looked up suddenly from what they were doing.

"Stunning," David murmured, "It suits you perfectly."

Nathan nodded. "I really must agree. Why are you not wearing your diadem?"

"The diadem? That thing is beautiful - but dreadfully heavy - I will only wear it when I have to."


Sutekh - the man, had reached the palace, and had been allowed in to hold an audience with the Pharaoh. He was waiting in the throne room. He'd been told by a slave to do this, and did so with patience, sitting on a bench in a corner opposite to the throne.

Once a slave came to him, and offered him a goblet of wine. Sutekh had accepted it, and drank it gratefully. He had been parched from the ride to this place.

The slave come to him again now, with a massage. "His majesty says you will have to see him in his chamber, Master High Priest. He is not well enough to come down."

Sutekh Seth stood. "Lead me, young one."

The slave nodded and turned, leading Sutekh to a far wing of the palace: the Pharaoh's wing. Sutekh followed in silence until the boy stopped before an archway. The boy knocked.

"What?" the voice was old, haggard, it was the Pharaoh.

"It is me, Your Majesty. Master Sutekh Seth is here to see you."

"Come in, Seth," The old man offered.

The young man who now bore the great burden forsaken by Setana stepped into the chamber, and saw that the old Pharaoh was sitting at his desk.

"Good morning, my Liege." Sutekh greeted benevolently.

"And a good morning to you," The Pharaoh returned, "I presume you have news for me from the Temple?"

Sutekh took a seat. "Aye, My Liege. Last night we held conclave. We have a new high Priest."

"And who is this new High Priest?" The Pharaoh sounded almost as though he were going to laugh.

Sutekh was almost hesitant. "It is - me."

"Congratulations," The Pharaoh grinned, "I assume then, that you came here seeking my approval?"

"Aye."

"You have it." The Pharaoh did chuckle here.

"Is that it?" Sutekh Seth asked, surprised.

"Aye. All one needs is my verbal acceptance. I suppose the other priests failed to tell you this?"

"Aye, My Liege. No one told me."

The Pharaoh was tactful. "Well, you know now. Would you like to stay for a meal?"

"I'm sorry, my Pharaoh, but I cannot."

"Pray, why?"

Sutekh sighed. "I've much I must do. Sutekh left me with many problems to fix. I must begin as soon as I can."

"Ah, I understand. Please, accept my best wishes for you, Sutekh."

"I do, My Liege, and my thanks for it. Now, if you will kindly excuse me, I must be going."

"Very well, Sutekh. If I'm not mistaken, there'll be another Royal Court soon."

Sutekh did not realize that the Pharaoh had meant that there would be a court held by Akhenaten.


Akhenaten returned from the palace just before noon. He'd had six white doves sacrificed under the advice of the High Priestess. They had cost him fifteen gold pieces, but he did not care about that. Money was just that: money. It was only a tool for acquiring goods and services, nothing more.

He'd hurriedly put Sutekh back in his stall in the stables, fed the beast, and then rushed to his chamber, longing to see Ksunamun. He'd told the slaves Nathan and David to tell her that he wanted to see her as soon as he returned.

When he got to his chamber, he made quick work of discarding his heavy cloak. He was drenched in sweat from the ride to and back from the temple. He also changed then, from his sandals into a pair of white silk slippers with leather soles. They were more comfortable than the sandals, which were new, and not properly broken in yet.

There was a soft knock on his doorway, a feminine knock.

"Is that you, Ksunamun?" He asked calmly.

"Aye," she answered, entering the chamber happily, "I'm glad you're back." She ran to him as he stood from changing his footwear, and embraced him fiercely.

"I'm glad to be back, Lotus Blossom." He whispered, his tone loving.

"Where were you?"

"I was at the Temple of Isis, making a sacrifice."

She kissed him, "You prayed?"

"You had better believe it, Ksunamun."

"I believe you." Ksunamun murmured against his neck.


The Prince and Princess wandered around the palace, Akhenaten giving a sort of unofficial tour to Ksunamun in the hopes of making her more familiar with the palace's layout. Currently they were walking down a long corridor together, their way lit by torches, for down this passageway were no windows.

"Where does this corridor lead?" Ksunamun asked quietly.

"To the armoury. And beyond that is the Training Room, where I practice battle techniques with the soldiers. They continue to remind me that war may be something I will face, but I pray that is not so."

"Why, Akhenaten?" Ksunamun was bemused, "I thought every man wanted to taste war?"

"Most do. But I do not. I would prefer to solve problems by any other means than war. I see it as being rather futile. All that bloodshed - and usually very little gain. Surely not enough to make up for the lives that are sacrificed."

"When you look at it that way, I guess you'd have to love violence to want war." Ksunamun whispered.

"Only too right," Akhenaten agreed, "Too right."

For a little while neither spoke. They stopped at the armoury, and Ksunamun glanced in the dark chamber. It was filled to capacity with various weapons and armour.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.