Young Gordy - Cover

Young Gordy

Copyright© 2010 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 3

The morning passed relatively uneventfully. As it neared noon, the clapsticks began a beat. Different from yesterday's but I couldn't describe the difference. Just before noon the biggest, lowest of the didgeridoos began to sound. People began to crowd, leaving a large space. The nungungi stepped into the space. It became very quiet.

"There are those from several tribes here.

"In the past, some of these tribes attacked other tribes. In the past, tribes stole maidens from other tribes.

"This is over. It is as never was. It is of us, not of the dreaming.

"Learn from the past, do not be held hostage by it.

"There are maidens here who are eligible for marriage. Let them step forth."

About sixteen women, wearing only string skirts stepped forward.

"And are there men who have spoken to these maidens? Let them, too, step forth."

They did, each wearing a tassel.

"Mothers! Come forth! Maidens, look at the young men!

"Maidens. You will be bringing forth new life. Is this he who will rain life into you? If so, take his hand and go into these woods. When she, the sun, no longer watches, return here.

"Now go!"

Each girl took a man's hand and they ran off. The mothers all looked happy.

"Let us eat and rest until the future returns."

And the music began again.

"Okay. Let's all sit here. I want to make certain you understand what's going on. Last night was like a school or college dance. The boys and girls got to see one another. And the mothers prepared the refreshments and the pastor read a sermon. Today, the boys and girls paired off. We'll learn how it all worked out. Again there was a sermon. The nungungi pointed out that in the past there was forced exogamy, but now it's voluntary."

Everyone nodded. Hmm. Louis was holding hands.

"If you go to a church wedding, the father gives away his daughter. Among the indigenes here in Australia, it's the mother. And the 'dating' – if I can call it that – is in the afternoon, under the eye of the all-mother, the sun.

"My guess is that some, not all, of the pairings will stick. I think there'll be some reshuffling. Questions?"

"Do you know the story of the barramundi?"

"Yes. You can look it up when we're back and write it up for Monday week. And while I think of it, Carol, you write about didgeridoos and Louis, you write up the maternal and paternal symbolism. Okay?"

Well, she hadn't forgotten the trip's purpose. A thesis and three paper topics in just about 24 hours. Not bad. We'd see how other things turn out.

"Gordy?"

"Yes, Louis?"

"What would have happened if I had – uh – selected a maiden?"

"One of the ones out there or the one whose hand you were clutching?"

"The latter."

"When you came back, this group of bands would have considered you married. But it wouldn't count."

"What do you mean?"

"Next week or the week after almost all of these 'pairs, ' will go to the local town hall or church and get married by an official of Queensland or New South Wales or the Territory. They'll make it official."

"Oh. I thought this was it."

"No. In fact, even in some European countries people get married twice: but there it's the town hall or the mayor's office first, then the big church do a week or two later. Civil law and ritual. Any society needs both."

"Are you sure you're not an anthropologist?"

"I'm sure. I'm just interested in the way things tick."

"You sure do, Gordy."

"Oops! I didn't know anyone except Louis was listening."

"But you gave a good lecture, anyway. Are you going to teach when you get your degree."

"Oh, no. Not me. I'm going to get my Ph.D. A few years down the road and then devote my life to doing research. Ants. I'm into ants. Have been for a decade. Look over there. That's a Calomyrmex albertisi worker. But if you look around carefully, there are at least three species of Camponotus around. I thought I'd see a bulldog, but we're a bit too far north, or a red bull, but we're somewhat far from Brisbane. If we walk into the forest, though, we're bound to find a nest of purple meat ants."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.