Wizard Tremaine
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2010 by Rotedrachen

Queen Tristain was nothing like any monarch I'd ever read about. She seemed to prefer things a lot less formal than the ones I'd studied. As we were ushered into the room, she immediately got down to business. "As much as I abhor formality, some edicts have to be followed", she said. "We will be treading in unfamiliar territory with your people, but I believe we can use the stations the wizards hold in Gelan as a reference.

"Their place is an important and vital one to the land, and I can easily see that yours will be no less. With that undeniable fact, come responsibilities and burdens you must bear. Foremost, is a pledge of fealty to the crown and to the land. This is not a thing to be taken lightly. You must consider what you are promising, and what failure to hold that promise means. I will provide you with a basic outline, but will let those who are already sworn to the crown tell you as much as they are able to relate.

"First, to bear oath is a solemn promise to defend the land and the ruler thereof. This may bring you into great peril, even unto death. If war is to come, you will be required to participate in any way required to save the realm. There are no alternatives.

"Secondly, your people will be expected to help the populace in many ways. It may be as simple as showing them new ways to do things, or as complicated as developing an entirely new idea and bringing it into fruition. The task is both arduous and never ending. The Wizard Tremaine has told me many things of your land, and one of the sayings he mentioned sums it up nicely. With great power, comes great responsibility. This responsibility will be yours to bear. Any questions so far?"

I looked at my companions, and of course, they looked right back at me. I sighed, and replied "Only one, your majesty. What would happen to anyone in our group that refused to take this oath?"

"A wise question, indeed", she said. "Unfortunately, there are only two answers. They would either need to have their power removed from them, or they would have to return to your land. This is regrettable, but the law is quite clear. Whenever there is one of sufficient power who refuses the oath, bad things have occurred. Yenin is a case in point. This is not debatable."

"That's pretty much what I expected", I commented. "Actually, I saw no other choice other than those you mentioned. I wouldn't dream of making this decision for anyone but myself, but if my wives are agreeable, I would swear this oath right this second. Not only are the alternatives unappealing, but from the short time I have been here, I already feel more at home than I did in my own land."

Connie, Tabby, and Debra all echoed my feelings, as did grandma and Paul. However, before the queen would take our oaths, she smiled and said "Not before I relate to you the more pleasant aspects of the stations you would occupy. Along with the burdens you will bear, come benefits. You will be compensated well, and treated as befits your station. I see that as being equal to a wizard. In time, I would like to see keeps such as this western holding placed at equal distance between the current wizard's. Until then, you would share your knowledge with our wizards, as they will with you. This keep will be expanded to provide the space needed. Is this satisfactory?"

The nods all around confirmed that it was, and the queen smiled. "Bring in the witnesses, that we may proceed in this joyous ceremony!"

Danny entered with his wives, Chloe, and others that I either had met or recognized from the previous days. Danny and a couple of others looked a little different. I was used to the leather clothes I had seen them wear, but now five of them were wearing robes of different colors. All were armed, too. Chloe and Danny looked particularly dangerous. Chloe had a sword at her hip, and Danny had two crossed on his back. The others had swords, but the way those two carried themselves, I could tell they knew how to use them.

It was no time for questions, as the ceremony was beginning. However, Danny saw my raised eyebrow, and mouthed "Later". I guessed I had more to learn about what I was getting into, but it didn't matter. Not only did we have no real choice, I for one, didn't want one. The ritual was blessedly short, but its aftermath blew me away.

A smiling Tristain stood and said, "And now, I have some final details to share with you. After consulting with the wizards Tremaine, Chloe, Ami, Yestil, and Fred, I have reached a decision. I felt that a leader was needed for them, and a new position is created. The wizard Tremaine shall henceforth be known as the Grand Wizard of Gelan. In addition, a leader will also be needed for the witches. Will the Mage Bruce step forward?"

I almost fainted! Surely she couldn't be about to do what I thought she was! Still, I had no alternative but to obey. I had just sworn to, after all. I shuffled forward, and my stunned look must have registered. She laughed, and said "My wizards are not the only magic users I consulted with, Bruce. To a man, when asked who the most powerful among you, your name was stated. This did not surprise me overmuch, nor did the fact that they also said that they would follow you above all others, save for Ruth. She was the alternative mentioned by some, as a second choice. I suspect that she would make a very good second in command, but that will be up to you, Grand Mage Bruce."

"My Queen!", I gasped, "Surely there are better alternatives! I am much too young for this honor, and woefully inexperienced. I don't know that I am capable enough to serve in this capacity!"

"My Queen, if I may?", Tremaine interjected.

She nodded at him, and he turned to me. "Bruce, you may not realize it, but we're about the same age. I have but two advantages over you. I've been here longer, and I had some wonderful mentors. Time will take care of one of those, but it is times like this that I miss Master Orolff and Mistress Delia even more than usual. All I can promise, is that we will do all we can to help you grow into your role. There are no viable alternatives. Like it or not, you ARE a leader. You have proven that by bringing your people to Gelan, and that they choose to follow you. That, and the undeniable fact that you possess more power than any of the others, makes you the logical choice. I, for one, welcome you. I feared that this task would fall on my shoulders alone. It will be a great relief to share the load with another, especially one that I have grown to respect."

"I'll try", I gulped, "but I WILL need help. Perhaps with the assistance of you, grandmother, and my bright and lovely mates, I won't botch things up too badly!"

I got hugs all around for that comment, even from the queen! She even quipped "It is a smart man indeed, who listens to his wives. You have much to learn, not only in your craft, but in other areas. Danny will help you in this, as will we all. I am confident that you will do well."

I'm glad one of us was! I was scared spitless! It got worse, in short order. I was led into the great hall, and the place was packed. All of our group was there, only outnumbering the wizards in attendance by a few. Every one of them stood and cheered. I wanted to run away, but Danny whispered "You have to make a speech, to set the tone for your style of leadership. I know it's not easy, but you have to do it."

I never was one to seek attention, and didn't care much for it. I had to take what he said seriously though, since he'd been through it already. I reluctantly stepped up on the dais at the front of the room, and waited for quiet. It didn't take long. I even remembered to cast an amplification spell. Have I mentioned that my magic worked better here? I hope I didn't deafen too many people before I adjusted it!

I tried to downplay the mistake as I began "Now that I have your attention...", and waited for the laughter to die down. "Okay", I continued. "I have all your names, so I know who to blame for what you've done to me".

More chuckles followed, but I got more serious then. "Friends", I sighed, "I hope I can count on your support, advice, and dedication. We find ourselves in a much better place than the one we escaped from, but our work is just beginning. Thankfully, we are well equipped to meet this challenge. I've talked to most of you here at one time or another, and I know this to be true.

"The knowledge represented in this hall will be a tremendous asset to Gelan, and to her people. I ask you to do all you can to present ideas and help implement solutions to any situation presented to you. In turn, I know that this assistance will be reciprocated by our new countrymen. We will be spreading knowledge, but we also have much to learn. Life as we knew it might have ended, but a new life is beginning. Let us make it better, and not repeat the mistakes of the past.

Soon, you will be asked to pledge your loyalty to Gelan. Unlike on our own world, every person must take this seriously. This is now our home, and we must prove to be better stewards of it than those who ruined our old land were. Gone are the days when simply providing lip service was enough. Our words must be backed up with deeds, and unswerving devotion to Gelan and her Queen.

"You all know of the troubles that lie ahead, and of what we may contribute to the cause. The Goddess has given us a new start. Please, do not deny it. I thank you for the dubious honor thrust upon me, and will do my best to not disappoint you too much. Now, I see food coming in, so I'll shut up. I'm hungry!"

The cheer was even louder, and lasted for quite some time. I thought it was because the speech was blessedly over, until I was seated. The Queen was in the center of the table. Danny was on her right, and I was placed at her left. Our wives were also at the table, along with Paul, Ruth, and the other head wizards.

The queen looked at me and commented "For someone who professes to be no leader, that was well done!"

"Yes, it was", Danny added. "Short and to the point, but covering all the basics. I believe that before this hall empties, all here will swear their oaths to Gelan. I especially liked the fact that you stressed cooperation, along with presenting the situation as more of a challenge than a catastrophe. Was that a conscious decision?"

"Only the truth", I replied. "I don't know how it was for you on Earth, Danny. For us, it meant living in the shadows. We always had to be afraid someone would find out what we could do, and you know where that would lead. I'm not sure which would've been worse, the government or the religious zealots. That whole Thou shall not suffer a witch to live thing is alive and well in the bible belt. Here, we can live as what we are. That makes a huge difference in how they're accepting things."

"Believe me", he chuckled, "I know. Fear of being found out was never pleasant. "It was nice to see a liability turned into an asset."

We talked of other things for the rest of the meal, but afterwards, Danny asked to speak to me alone. He led me to a huge chamber that was full of shelves. Each one appeared to be stuffed to overflowing with books and scrolls. He waved his hand, and explained "This is the library. I spend quite a bit of time here, and it has proven to be more than a little beneficial. Without a doubt, we would've lost the realm if not for the information contained here. You are more than welcome to explore it as you will, but I would ask that you be careful as to who else has access. Much of the material here is very dangerous to those with less ability."

"Thank you", I replied, "but I assume you brought me here for something other than to show me this?"

"And you would be correct in that assumption", he nodded with a sigh. "Do you have any idea just how relieved I am that you showed up? Probably not, but rest assured that I am. There have been more than a few instances in which I felt ready to just give up."

"What do you mean?", I asked with concern.

"I'm sixteen fucking years old, Bruce", he practically whispered. "I should be learning how to drive, and my most serious concern should be who to ask to the homecoming dance. Instead, I have three wives and an entire country who expects me to have all the answers. Can you say pressure?"

"I suppose that would be rough", I agreed. "I'm not sure how me being here helps that, though."

"You will", he replied with a slightly unpleasant smile. "I didn't think you quite understood, so let me enlighten you. Do you know what Tristain just did?"

"Laid a big load on me, I think", I snorted.

"Very big", he grinned. "In fact, you're the defacto third in command of Gelan. Only the fact that I'm the Knight Protector and Prince Consort causes you to rate less than I do. It's a damn good thing we get along, because we're going to be working very closely together. Pretty soon, you will be regretting what you have stepped in."

"What does that mean?", I asked.

"It means that we are basically partners, and magic is only part of the equation", he answered. "You're going to be very busy for the foreseeable future. Horsemanship, arms training, diplomacy, tactics, and countless other little skills need to be learned. All of your people will need the basics in these, but you will have to be an expert. And then there's the little things. They can be quite tedious."

"Such as?", I laughed.

He looked me in the eye, and replied "When I came to Gelan, I was a scrawny little stick. A stiff breeze would have blown me away. Use of magic here has some odd side effects. As big as you are now, I can't help but wonder what you'll look like in a year. I'm thinking you'll change, but not as much as I did."

"I hope you're right", I gulped, "but what makes you think that?"

"Because, before I came here, I had only the barest use of my talent. I did only what would be considered parlor tricks. You, on the other hand, were already quite advanced."

I nodded, and replied "Maybe magic had the same effect on Earth. I wasn't very big when I was dumped on grandma Ruth's doorstep, but things seemed to change a lot soon afterwards. I'm not nearly as skinny as I was then, and I'm four inches taller, too. I may also have a leg up in other areas."

"Really?", he asked.

"Yes", I nodded. "Oddly enough, I've been practicing with the sword, staff, and bow, for years. I've been riding for just as long, since it was easier to get around where grandma Ruth lived."

"That IS odd", Danny remarked. "Tell me, does Ruth ever seem to know things that will happen in the future?"

"Nah", I chuckled. "I don't think it has anything to do with precognition. She claimed learning to ride would help me relax, plus the back roads around her place were pretty sad. Most of them are dirt. The weapons training was supposed to help my concentration when I cast spells."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.