Steps - Cover

Steps

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 14

The Sunday papers did as expected. Nothing they said was slanderous. They took good care and probably legal advice to avoid that but they noted that Henry and Samantha had lived together at the flat before she married Marty and that when she came home on business Henry was always there during the week even when he was stationed at Windsor. How they knew this was a mystery to Henry and Samantha but they suspected the janitor. Then, of course, they had to tell the story of Rupert and Imogen and hint at a liaison between him and Henrietta before Graham's death. Their other line, inevitably, was that there was no smoke without a fire. One of the more respected broadsheets joined in with an article by an earnest agony aunt saying that Henry and Samantha were not committing incest but that marriages between step-siblings were fraught with danger for the relationship of their parents.

In the normal way, Henry Everleigh would never have bought anything other than his normal Sunday paper which turned out to be the one with the earnest agony aunt. However, on this occasion, he bought several of the rags, as he called them.

Henry Cavendish was incensed. "It's all innuendo and supposition," he fumed, "and it's totally unfair to Sams. I'm going to ring Ian tomorrow and see about an injunction or something to stop them slandering us and particularly Sams."

"Slow down, my sweets," said Samantha. "Ian said there would be exactly what you said: innuendo and supposition. If he thought he could stop it I'm sure he would have done or at least offered us the option."

"I don't have the advantage of military experience," said Henry Everleigh with a slight grin, "but isn't there a saying, probably naval, about keeping your powder dry?"

"Yeah, sure," said Henry, "but there's always the advantage of a surprise attack."

"I don't think there'd be much surprise about your attack at the moment and they'd turn it to their advantage: 'Methinks he doth protest too much.'"

"He's right, Henry darling," said Samantha softly. The use of 'darling' really made the point to Henry.

He smiled at her. "OK, my Sams, my darling."

She smiled back at him, radiantly.

"Oh, blimey!" said Ginny. "Look out, Henry my love, it looks as though we're about to get a live X-rated movie."

That stopped things for the time being as everyone collapsed with laughter. Henrietta rang later in the morning and in her usual way defused everything.

"Water off a duck's back," she said, "and you're my two little duckies."

The mob was back again at Carlton Parva the next morning but, achieving nothing by midday, drifted off again. Henry and Samantha wondered whether they could not go back up to London. Henry rang an acquaintance in the same block of flats and was told that there were only three or four photographers left. They decided to go back up that evening. Among other things they felt that they were overstaying their welcome at the Everleighs'.

"Rubbish!" said Ginny forcefully. "It's been a joy having you here. Obviously I hope it's all over now but you're both welcome back at any time and not just when there's a crisis."

She hugged Samantha warmly. "You two were designed for each other in Heaven," she whispered to her.

Samantha nearly choked with emotion.

She kissed Henry. "Don't get cross," she said. "Just think of the happiness to come."

Sir Henry was less demonstrative although when he kissed Samantha he said 'Yum' most appreciatively.

"You're a dirty old man," she smiled at him.

"Very," he smiled back.

"Behave," he said to Henry, "and keep your powder dry."

They went back to London via Carlton Parva to see their parents. Samantha took the opportunity to have a word with Posy who was as unruffled by events as usual and therefore a comfort. Photographs were taken of their arrival at the flat and again when they left for work the next morning. Apart from that everything was normal. They were relieved.

Tony Morgan and four others were arrested on Thursday. They all appeared in court on Friday, charged severally under the Sexual Offences Act and remanded in custody for trial by a Crown Court. Nothing much came out of that for the media to get their teeth into other than that Interpol was involved and arrests had also been made in other parts of the world.

Henry was concerned though. He rang Ian Frobisher.

"Ian," he said, "I'm worried that once this case gets to the Crown Court or indeed foreign courts that Samantha's name may be mentioned and that that thing you told me may come out."

"Yes, Henry. There is a risk. Not, I think, in the foreign courts where the main emphasis will be on the breaking of internet laws and on paedophilia. There may be something on the SM side of it, innocent girls subjected to torture and so on, but I don't think that Samantha's fudged photograph will feature. It's a different matter here at home. I'm pretty sure that we can make sure that the Crown Prosecutor will ask the Court for any evidence concerning third parties who might be identified to be heard in camera. Whether the defence will act with equal responsibility is open to question but I can't see any advantage to them of bringing up Samantha's name. Don't worry. We'll keep a close eye on it and give you what warning we can if it looks as though she may be mentioned."

"Thanks, Ian."

Henry was not comforted though. The slightest chance that Samantha might be involved worried him. He resolved not to let it show and he appeared to succeed. Samantha was her usual energetic, cheerful self. Loving too!

The following Monday Ian forwarded Samantha an e-mail from Marty. It read,

'Dear Mr Frobisher,

Thank you for your very considerate letter. I have not been approached by the media. Believe me, despite being sad that Samantha decided to leave me I bear her no ill will or indeed any of her family.

Sincerely

Marty Allinson'.

Samantha showed it to Henry.

"That's more like the old Marty," she said.

"I hope you're not thinking of going back to him," replied Henry with a grin.

Samantha pretended to look hurt and angry. She slapped his face gently.

"No, my darling. I'm where I should have always been: with you."

Henry cupped her face in his hands. "Me too, my darling Sams. I miss you while we're separated at work."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.